UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Heavy Linebreeding
Pages (5): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
khester7923
UKC Forum Member

Heavy Linebreeding

Posing this questions for any and everybody to throw their two cents in on.
1. WHAT IS UKC'S POSITION ON HEAVY, TIGHT, LINEBREEDING?
2. WILL THEY REGISTER THE LITTER?
3. WHAT IS EVERYBODY'S OPINION ON SELECTIVE TIGHT LINEBREEDING.

iM TALKING ABOUT FATHER/DAUGHTER...MOTHER/SON.....FULL BROTHER/SISTER CROSSES. IF YOU HAVE A MALE WITH WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE TOTAL PACKAGE AND YOU HAVE HIS DAUGHTER AND ALSO THINK SHE IS THE TOTAL PACKAGE, HAS ANYONE EVER CROSSED THE TWO FOR A 3/4 LITTER. MY OPINION IS, ITS LIKE A SACK OF POTATOES. YOUR ONLY GONNA DUMP OUT WHATS ALREADY IN THERE WHETHER GOOD, BAD OR BETTER. WHAT YALL THINK? REMEMBER IM TALKING ABOUT SELECTIVE NOW, NOT JUST CROSSING TO PUT PUPS OUT, BUT TO TRY AND BETTER WHAT EVER YOUR HUNTING..

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-19-2018 01:48 PM
khester7923 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for khester7923 Click here to Send khester7923 a Private Message Click Here to Email khester7923 Find more posts by khester7923 Add khester7923 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like inbreeding to me. I am personally not a fan.
Line breeding, different story.

Old Post 02-19-2018 01:56 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

Re: Heavy Linebreeding

quote:
Originally posted by khester7923

iM TALKING ABOUT FATHER/DAUGHTER...MOTHER/SON.....FULL BROTHER/SISTER CROSSES.
That's inbreeding .

As long as your breeding for your own pleasure ...why be concerned what someone else thinks , but yea
Go for it.......don't live life regretting you "SHOULD of done" ......jmo

IF YOU HAVE A MALE WITH WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE TOTAL PACKAGE AND YOU HAVE HIS DAUGHTER AND ALSO THINK SHE IS THE TOTAL PACKAGE, HAS ANYONE EVER CROSSED THE TWO FOR A 3/4 LITTER. MY OPINION IS, ITS LIKE A SACK OF POTATOES. YOUR ONLY GONNA DUMP OUT WHATS ALREADY IN THERE WHETHER GOOD, BAD OR BETTER. WHAT YALL THINK? REMEMBER IM TALKING ABOUT SELECTIVE NOW, NOT JUST CROSSING TO PUT PUPS OUT, BUT TO TRY AND BETTER WHAT EVER YOUR HUNTING..

Old Post 02-19-2018 03:11 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ssgied
UKC Forum Member

UKC will register inbred pups, but papers will say inbred. Some will criticize, some will approve. At the end of the day, it's your decision. I have made crosses like this, and my only advise is to be responsible for your actions. Cull what needs culling. Don't convince yourself that they all have to be good, caused you raised them. If it works continue with only the very best of the pups. Judge them as hard as you would if you were trying a dog to buy.JMO

Old Post 02-19-2018 05:35 PM
ssgied is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ssgied Click here to Send ssgied a Private Message Click Here to Email ssgied Find more posts by ssgied Add ssgied to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

I have a coming 3 yr old cross that is half brother x half sister. nothing on papers, like them so much i will take her back to her sire. Just like ssgied said be responsible.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-20-2018 12:19 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Snyder
UKC Forum Member

Inbreeding

I have yet to see a coonhound that I thought was so flawless that I would consider doing this. Not against the idea, just have never seen one specimen that was worthy.

My guess is even if you had that specimen, and made a cross like that you would probably get one or two keepers and a handful that had some real issues since you are doubling down on bad faults and traits as well. Seen or unseen.

Old Post 02-20-2018 12:26 PM
Chris Snyder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Snyder Click here to Send Chris Snyder a Private Message Find more posts by Chris Snyder Add Chris Snyder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

What i find in doing this is a couple may not make it to the grade i want, but that is normal in any litter, and there traits are very close to the original grandam which i love.
and they are passing those same traits to outcrosses
If you start with good healthy stock it usually takes a long time to start seeing anything negative,(years) and then it is generally just a slow down in reproduction or a smaller size.
I doubt i will ever go back to just outcrossing and getting the box of chocolates.
Instead of getting dogs i might like, i am getting hounds i know i like.

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 02-20-2018 12:55 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

JUST MY OPINION

I have tried it all. When I tried the crosses like you are speaking of, I always got a couple of REALLY nice dogs in a litter, several that were common, and a few that were idiots and needed culling.

Sad part is, I never kept one of the couple that made outstanding dogs and couldn't buy one of them. I always ended up with a candidate for culling.

I'm not saying they can't be a little bit kin, but winding it up too tight never worked for me. Others will tell you different.

Someone started the myth that you have to have close line breeding to have top shelf dogs. This is far from the truth.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

You need to read UKC's definition of inbreeding. The crosses you listed are in fact inbreeding and it will be stamped INBRED on their papers. You can cross half mates, uncle x neice, grandfather x granddaughter and that isn't considered inbreeding, but linebreeding.

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:52 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
khester7923
UKC Forum Member

thanks ritchie, in the mt cur world ive seen it done in a good way and ive seen it taken to far for my liking. i am one that likes to try and consolidate all the good i can in one package but just looking at other peoples opinions. cant seem to find the right bluetick female that suits me so always trying to build one. thanks again for you input. always liked the dogs you follow. take care.

Old Post 02-20-2018 01:58 PM
khester7923 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for khester7923 Click here to Send khester7923 a Private Message Click Here to Email khester7923 Find more posts by khester7923 Add khester7923 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

The ONLY way to keep what you got is line breeding with some inbreeding mixed in. Check out some peds of big game studs, you will find a lot of similar reg. numbers. Big game dogs don't get fed if they are not catchin game.

Old Post 02-20-2018 06:43 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:

iM TALKING ABOUT FATHER/DAUGHTER...MOTHER/SON.....FULL BROTHER/SISTER CROSSES. IF YOU HAVE A MALE WITH WHAT YOU CONSIDER THE TOTAL PACKAGE AND YOU HAVE HIS DAUGHTER AND ALSO THINK SHE IS THE TOTAL PACKAGE, HAS ANYONE EVER CROSSED THE TWO FOR A 3/4 LITTER. MY OPINION IS, ITS LIKE A SACK OF POTATOES. YOUR ONLY GONNA DUMP OUT WHATS ALREADY IN THERE WHETHER GOOD, BAD OR BETTER. WHAT YALL THINK? REMEMBER IM TALKING ABOUT SELECTIVE NOW, NOT JUST CROSSING TO PUT PUPS OUT, BUT TO TRY AND BETTER WHAT EVER YOUR HUNTING..

Wow,That is Inbreeding at its best.

Maybe 1/2 bro. to 1/2 sis.
or Uncle/Aunt to Niece/Nephew
or Grandfather/Grandmother to Grand daughter/Grand son is line breeding.

JMO

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-20-2018 08:27 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

I think what a lot of people forget is we're not getting the dogs in a cross, we will get what ever traits those dogs throw. Before I would even consider such a tight cross I would want to know what traits those dogs put in their pups. Just because you have the same ancestor several times in a three generation pedigree those pups might not resemble that ancestor in any way. There is nothing less fun than hauling pups and having to cull them for some genetic flaw that could have been avoided with some research.

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 02-20-2018 09:17 PM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pigsit
I think what a lot of people forget is we're not getting the dogs in a cross, we will get what ever traits those dogs throw. Before I would even consider such a tight cross I would want to know what traits those dogs put in their pups. Just because you have the same ancestor several times in a three generation pedigree those pups might not resemble that ancestor in any way. There is nothing less fun than hauling pups and having to cull them for some genetic flaw that could have been avoided with some research.

Bluetickers should have followed that a long time ago.........

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 02-20-2018 10:12 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

quote:

It maybe technically be inbreeding to cross littermates, but if their looks and performance traits aren't the same then it is not linebreeding. Ken Risley

Old Post 02-20-2018 10:58 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
treedog69
UKC Forum Member

breeding

It's the only way to improve on brains,track speed,how they use there nose.with the right stuff it makes hard core hounds it should be all about performance right?there more than most can handle,no matter how close your related ,there not usally that close,even your own sister or brother,you don't always have the same blood type,hair,skin,ect,it has to be as fault free as possible but it's the only way to create a real strain then keep what you have every time you out cross you take the chance of letting diabetes,hips ,feet,traits etc it takes a lot of doing 20to30years.it's how you make a line or your just breeding dogs hopeing to come up with something great,which can happen but you breed the right stuff your line will through soldier's that are performers.been there and done it more than once .dogs are disappointing when you've had them....

Old Post 02-21-2018 07:26 PM
treedog69 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for treedog69 Click here to Send treedog69 a Private Message Find more posts by treedog69 Add treedog69 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Half sister to half brother, UKC might not stamp it inbred but it is. Line breeding is also inbreeding......

Old Post 02-23-2018 04:14 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Baldwin
I have seen outstanding success with Half brother / half sister crosses.
nite heat dixie was half bother half sister cross with her sire and dam both being out of hardwood bozo.her and her offspring male and female produced most of the male hounds in u.k.c. historical list.

Old Post 02-25-2018 07:30 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Ya, but BlackWater Pearl I think beat them all with 75% in UKCs reproduction list and she was out of Wipeout Zeb a good bred Wipeout Hound, Had Bozo in her but NOT the Dixie cross. When they bred that daughter of Old River Bend Flag in that Bozo Blood is what started it all. Most of Pearl's pups were hunted in PKC to boot! This was about the time the Wipeout hounds started dominating the UKC hunts. A little bit of infomation that goes back about 20 years.... LOL!

Old Post 02-25-2018 09:52 AM
edwardfasteddy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardfasteddy Click Here to Email edwardfasteddy Find more posts by edwardfasteddy Add edwardfasteddy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

In other words GO WITH THE BEST AND FORGET THE REST! Best reproducers that is! LOL

Old Post 02-25-2018 09:55 AM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by edwardfasteddy
Ya, but BlackWater Pearl I think beat them all with 75% in UKCs reproduction list and she was out of Wipeout Zeb a good bred Wipeout Hound, Had Bozo in her but NOT the Dixie cross. When they bred that daughter of Old River Bend Flag in that Bozo Blood is what started it all. Most of Pearl's pups were hunted in PKC to boot! This was about the time the Wipeout hounds started dominating the UKC hunts. A little bit of infomation that goes back about 20 years.... LOL!
PEARL IS NOT LINE BREED >LOL THIS POST IS ASKING ABOUT LINE BREEDING AND INBREEDING .LOOKING AT SOME PEDIGREES IN THE RED BONE SECTION RICHARD SHOULD BE ABLE TO GIVE US SOME RESULTS FROM FAMILY AND LINE BREEDING HE HAS WITNESSED OVER THE YEARS .WHAT CAN YOU TELL US RICHARD ?WE HAVE HEARD FROM CONRAD .WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON LINE BREEDING ?

Old Post 02-25-2018 06:58 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

I can answer any and all questions on line breeding or inbreeding because I have the experience, 45 years to be exact..LOL A lot of the Big Shots brought their dogs here for me to start.... Example: I just was at a guys house today that had a Hall Of Fame Plaque that he received for his female that I started and put most of the wins on. I hunted that female in about 15 states in all. Has anyone on here ever had there hands on four Hall Of Fame dogs or any as far as that goes? LOL!

Old Post 02-25-2018 09:56 PM
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

UKC GR. Nite Champions not that big of a deal. Hall of Fame,World Champions, Grand America Winners, another story. Anyone on here know anything about dogs? LOL

Old Post 02-25-2018 10:32 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Mr Hester is talking/asking about inbreeding. I myself wouldn't do that. But in my opinion linebreeding only works if you have a family of very nice balanced hounds to work with. You have to know exactly what you are dealing with in these hounds. Just getting any half brother and sister and breeding them together doesn't usually work. But if you really want to know, you need to ask Mr Eddy. He has far more experience than I do. Actually I don't even know what a Hall of Fame Plaque is.

Old Post 02-25-2018 10:37 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardfasteddy
UKC Forum Member

Heavy Linebreeding

You don't line breed or inbreed to better what is no good to start with. to answer the last sentence...

Old Post 02-25-2018 11:13 PM
DMW
UKC Forum Member

I have been researching inbreeding, line breeding heavily for the last several months. First of all, it's nothing new... It's been used for years, I mean like the last century... To keep this very short, yes, UKC will register the crosses, yes it can increase your chances on passing the traits you desire if done carefully, correctly.

...."Wilkes' Zoom".... (Straight off Dohoney's Tom Horn)
...."Wilkes' Brooke".... (Sackett Jr., Slow Talking Buzz bred)
morganwilkes1.wixsite.com/wilkeswalkers

Old Post 02-25-2018 11:52 PM
DMW is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMW Click here to Send DMW a Private Message Visit DMW's homepage! Find more posts by DMW Add DMW to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote