UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Picking a puppy
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cheyman
UKC Forum Member

Picking a puppy

Is there certain things I should look for in picking a black and tan pup. My father in law is giving me the pick of the litter. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2015 06:38 PM
cheyman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cheyman Click here to Send cheyman a Private Message Click Here to Email cheyman Find more posts by cheyman Add cheyman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

DO NOT GET A SHY PUP, one that is skiddish or one with light yellow eyes..... Other than that and looks it's a lottery pick.. Personally I like to see the whole litter outside the pen and see which pups venture out to themselves investigating with their nose on the ground. Good Luck.

Old Post 07-31-2015 08:10 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Get the biggest blackest loudest most hyper one.

Old Post 07-31-2015 08:44 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slowpoke 2012
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blusk25
Get the biggest blackest loudest most hyper one.

X2

PR. Missouri Hi-Dollar Slowpoke HTX

PR. Missouri Nite Hunt Hitman - R.I.P
08-08-2013 - 07-15-2015
Starved to death by a S.O.B named Austin Tibbits.

American Black and Tan Coon Hounds
----------------------------------------------------------

Nt.Ch. "PR." Wildside's BugEyed Betty (W)

Matthew Fann
816-565-1660

Old Post 08-04-2015 04:39 AM
Slowpoke 2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slowpoke 2012 Click here to Send Slowpoke 2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Slowpoke 2012 Find more posts by Slowpoke 2012 Add Slowpoke 2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keith Penningto
UKC Forum Member

Just grab one. It's all in how you raise them.

PKC CH / GRCH'GRNITECH'PR'BLACK IRON DARLA

PKC CH / GRCH'GRNITECH'PR'CLEGGS NORTHERN BLACK SKIP

PKC CH / CH GRNITECH'PR'MALONES MIDNIGHT DAN

PKC CH / GRCH'GRNITECH'PR'BLACK IRON STRIKE
PKC CH / NITECH BACKWATER SASSY
NITECH BACKWATER HAMMER
PKC CH BACKWATER ROWDY
GRNITECH POORBOY
NITECH BLACK IRON KATNISS

Old Post 08-04-2015 10:57 AM
Keith Penningto is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Keith Penningto Click here to Send Keith Penningto a Private Message Find more posts by Keith Penningto Add Keith Penningto to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry B.
UKC Forum Member

Unfortunately, it takes a long time to get to know each pup, so if you have to pick at a brief visit it is a shot in the dark.
I look for personality in the pup. Pick it up roll it over, if it fights you to turn back over or does it just lay there. How playful is it? Does it go off by itself? Is it sniffing everything on the ground in front of it. Is it barking it's little head off non stop?
These are the questions you have to answer in a hurry when picking a pup at someone else's place.
I look for ear length, straight legs, look at the feet, the list can go on and on....... Even with all that it's still a roll of the dice.
Happy Tracks!
Larry

NITE CH GRCH. TIM'S HURRICANE CREEK DOZER HTX DNA-P (GrndSireBTTBCane)
NITE CH. LARRY'S HURRICANE HAWKGONE DNA-P (BTTB BlackHawk) 2018-2019 PERFORMANCE SIRE
CH. HURRICANE STORMIN LUCY LOU (Sire Ike) (Half Owner Jason & Joey of Hurricane Creek B&T Kennel II)
CH HURRICANE ATNITE BIG HOWLER (My 5th generation son!) (Sire Hurricane HawkGone) (GrandSire Dozer)
GR CH 3 IKE'S BLACK JOE (Sire- GrNiteChGrCh Cooper's Stormin Ike)
CH.HURRICANE CREEK ROGUE ONE (Sire Howler, Grand Sire HawkGone)
LARRY'S HURRICANE CREEK RAE (sire Howler, grand sire HawkGone)
BLACKBURNS BEE (Sire Blackburns Snuffy II)(Half Owner with Jon Kibler)
NEW HOUNDS IN THE KENNEL;
HURRICANE HARLEM'S HARLO (Sire Harlem)
HURRICANE KIBLER'S ANNIE (Sire 6 gun Albert)

Old Post 08-04-2015 02:09 PM
Larry B. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry B. Click here to Send Larry B. a Private Message Find more posts by Larry B. Add Larry B. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Picking the cross is the hard part. Otherwise, just close your eyes, reach in and grab one.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 08-04-2015 07:39 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote