UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > one young female really frustrating me.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

one young female really frustrating me.

have two, 9 month old littermate females. sky was runt of litter but doing great on coon and blew my expectations away bear hunting. she hunts awesome is tracking and treeing and handles like a dream. needs ton of work but great start.

other one named everest is bigger, beautiful dog with huge mouth. cant get her away from my feet solo or with other dogs. she has went out couple times with old dog but any obstacle like hard fence crossing or super thick or steep area she comes back everytime. took her out solo again couple times this week in dark and i dont have to worry about being lonely. LOL. been taking her out once or twice a week in daylight thinking will gain some confidence but maybe gets away couple hundred yards before coming back on run. seems like horrible lazy dog watching in daylight anytime goes anywhere its on a game or cow trail or where have driven. tonight walked her into first tree old dogs had and she actually was sniffing ground and tree for minute but no interest. did some driving until got good strike from old dogs and dumped all 3. she actually wanted to go with but just ramming and jumping on old dogs while they were trying to line track out. track to tree was only 300yds but she had no interest in hunting just being dumb.

gonna lay her up probably a month and see if matures and does more and hopefully get some cooler nights by then. hate leaving em on chain they never learn much there but about only option. also with crappy hot humid weather dont wanna over hunt the other young one thats doing great. was really hoping both would crank at young age and balance hunting each young dog just enough to keep em wanting more until gets cooler then into kill season.

always hear about late bloomers but seems in my limited experience every dog that turns out to be what i like cranks at a young age or at least shows some serious hunt. i hate to jump gun but getting to point if dont really like a dog and if not getting it done in woods by a year old gonna move them. waiting till 2 years or older hasnt showed me a late bloomer that i wanna keep for life of dog. LOL. sorry for the rant just thinking out loud. happy hunting.

first tree of night, 2 coon stacked on top eachother around 60ft up.

big dumb pup behind trix.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-31-2015 08:11 AM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

First I want to say I love reading your hunt stories and seeing your pics. I wish I could gets pics of coons like that.

I had a dog like what you described. That just wouldn't go. So what I did and still do with pups is if they run out and come back I load them straight up in the box. No time to play or act dumb. I won't walk them in. The only time they come out of the box is at the next drop or at their kennel. Hope this helps. It has really helped me get some pups going.

Old Post 07-31-2015 12:05 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

I agree. I have tried this also and it has helped me. I still do it with older dogs I buy too. big hut is something I am still struggling to find in the breed.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 07-31-2015 01:04 PM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mnb&t
UKC Forum Member

ive done that to, doesn't faze her. content as can be to sit in rig.

Old Post 07-31-2015 02:44 PM
mnb&t is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mnb&t Click here to Send mnb&t a Private Message Find more posts by mnb&t Add mnb&t to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christophernidy
UKC Forum Member

i guess time on chain is all you can do.

Give me a call anytime and we can cut loose some black dogs. 330-553-0148

Old Post 08-05-2015 04:35 AM
Christophernidy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Christophernidy Click here to Send Christophernidy a Private Message Click Here to Email Christophernidy Find more posts by Christophernidy Add Christophernidy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

Some hounds just don't have it but she is still fairly young.
Several of the best B&Ts ever didn't start until they were over two yrs old... Probably the biggest difference in pups of today and yesteryr is that they start a lot earlier. It's hard to keep one that long when they have no interest but I've seen slow starters go on a be great hounds... I'd put her up until it's cooler and then see what she does with a caged coon with the other dogs.. Good Luck..

Old Post 08-05-2015 01:50 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote