UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > Stupid question?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Stupid question?

How did cypress brake setum up ace make it so big in the stud pen?

And why is he never mentioned in conversation when talking about previous greats?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-29-2015 10:07 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

Ace was in the right hands of people that knew how to promote a hound.... Something that is missing today..

Old Post 07-30-2015 02:07 AM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
delta slough
UKC Forum Member

Maybe it was because he reproduced a lot of good pups. Check the historical records in coonhound bloodlines, nothing is close to his record.Ace also did a lot of winning as a young hound, he was the dog to beat on every cast.He was a nice hound.

Old Post 07-30-2015 02:32 AM
delta slough is offline Click Here to See the Profile for delta slough Find more posts by delta slough Add delta slough to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DeerSlyer86
UKC Forum Member

By any chance do yall think a their is any semen on him

Old Post 07-30-2015 05:01 AM
DeerSlyer86 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DeerSlyer86 Click here to Send DeerSlyer86 a Private Message Click Here to Email DeerSlyer86 Find more posts by DeerSlyer86 Add DeerSlyer86 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

What kind of winning? Any big hunts?

I just think it's strange that there isn't more info about the "father" of our current black n tans. Any of the other breeds top historical studs have info, articles, and first hand accounts all over the Internet. Google Ace. You find nothing about him.

Old Post 07-30-2015 10:58 AM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

Ace was promoted at a high level, from a young age. I still remember the ad on him in the yearbook when he was barely a year old. His name was Willow Run Setem Up Ace, then. There continued to be plenty of yearbook and magazine ads but they also pushed him in the woods and in the national level hunts. He did have a nice win record in big hunts but like most studs, I believe his comp. career came to an end when he started breeding alot of females.

IMO, the early promotion got him the first few females when he was young but then he DID produce well and that kept females coming, for several years.

I don't think Ace's record of total numbers of pups will ever be broken. For one thing, there aren't as many females being bred. For another the sport has changed where we have more info. on more male dogs and the breeding is spread amongst more studs, now.

There have been numerous articles and discussions on Ace. Mark Reavis did an article on him thats probably on Facebook somewhere. Keep in mind its been 20 years since he was breeding females.

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 07-30-2015 03:05 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
longshot
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by John D
Mark Reavis did an article on him thats probably on Facebook somewhere. Keep in mind its been 20 years since he was breeding females.

Here's that link about Ace with pictures and info. > https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0...yRHc/view?pli=1

Old Post 07-30-2015 06:03 PM
longshot is offline Click Here to See the Profile for longshot Click here to Send longshot a Private Message Find more posts by longshot Add longshot to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skidiver
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Blusk25
What kind of winning? Any big hunts?

I just think it's strange that there isn't more info about the "father" of our current black n tans. Any of the other breeds top historical studs have info, articles, and first hand accounts all over the Internet. Google Ace. You find nothing about him.

I wouldn't call him the "father of our current B&Ts." True he produced well enough to basically have his own line. There are other lines too. Ozark Screamin Bo and Combs and Smith's Smokey did their fair share of producing winning coonhounds. You also have Big Time Albert and his line of winners. There were several others in that same time frame but those three jump out at me... The 80's and 90's saw some top of the line stud dogs and promoters. Not only in the B&T breed but others as well. Coon hunting has changed and unfortunately in many places is a dying sport...

Old Post 07-30-2015 08:13 PM
skidiver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for skidiver Click here to Send skidiver a Private Message Find more posts by skidiver Add skidiver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

I guess the statement "father of our current black n tans" may a little much but honestly, how many four gen peds don't show him. I guess what I'm saying is no one talks about ace as if he was one of the greats but due to his numbers, he shows up on almost every ped I've seen.

Old Post 07-30-2015 09:35 PM
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Smile

Thank you for posting the article. It answered all my questions.

Old Post 07-30-2015 11:22 PM
gfults
UKC Forum Member

Re: Stupid question?

quote:
Originally posted by Blusk25
How did cypress brake setum up ace make it so big in the stud pen?

And why is he never mentioned in conversation when talking about previous greats?

I think a lot of folks knew Hobie was alot better hound himself than Ace and they don't wanna give his due credit. I think he deserves it myself. Another reason may be due to Hobos Hoss, Tige and Slam pups coming along about the same time and soon after to steal his thunder. Look what Hobos Hoss dogs have won in comparison. Aint no comparison.

Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Pa. Junior
Tenn. Black Lexus( Pa. Junior x Hulios Lil Stripper)

PKC Ch. Tenn. Blackjack- R.I.P.

Old Post 08-11-2015 10:58 PM
gfults is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gfults Click here to Send gfults a Private Message Click Here to Email gfults Find more posts by gfults Add gfults to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote