UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > UKC Hunts For A Yard Stick
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
A countdown on tree. 1st or 4th strike I could care less, 1st tree important. 2-4 tree give em 25 or nothing don't matter. The measuring stick been broke a while.
If Ya like like the current point system, adjust it to make sence. If a dog gets 1st strike and gets anything but 1st tree delete his strike points. If you feel tight mouthed dogs would have advantage then 4th strike will be deleted if they tree 1st. I doubt anything ever changes anyhow.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-26-2015 10:24 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andrew Jones
UKC Forum Member

If you've got a coondog you don't have to worry. It's set up to where all you have to do is call your dog right. If you and your dog don't make many mistakes you will win.

So yes, I think the hunts are a good measuring stick

GrNiteCh GrCh 'PR' Tree Slammin Magnum(Grnitech Tree Slammin Hammer x Grnitech Grch Black Creek Slamin Lucy HTX)
~2016 PKC Winter Classic Cast Winner

Old Post 07-26-2015 10:35 PM
Andrew Jones is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andrew Jones Click here to Send Andrew Jones a Private Message Click Here to Email Andrew Jones Find more posts by Andrew Jones Add Andrew Jones to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Jones
If you've got a coondog you don't have to worry. It's set up to where all you have to do is call your dog right. If you and your dog don't make many mistakes you will win.

So yes, I think the hunts are a good measuring stick

Not true me too dogs and blind handlers and other tricks will slow you and your dogs roll. we need a count down on tree if your dogs honest it will be 1st or 2 nd and not 4and a half min later.

I use Sunfire lights

Last edited by dawgg03 on 07-27-2015 at 01:47 AM

Old Post 07-27-2015 01:44 AM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

I don't see people winning more than 35 percent of their hunts!! Wish it was as simple as just calling your dog right with few mistakes and you win. But so many unseen things happen and biggest thing I see is dogs piling on a tree a nother dog treed. Dogs covering dogs 3 or 4 min later is not what I want to hunt.

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 07-27-2015 02:01 AM
dawgg03 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dawgg03 Click here to Send dawgg03 a Private Message Click Here to Email dawgg03 Find more posts by dawgg03 Add dawgg03 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Cold Nose

What i really love to see, is that old black&tan treeing a coon, that nothing else can open on, and nothing else on the tree, but him, and a big coon laying on a big limb, in plain sight. The dogs, with a real good nose, seem to be grandsons, of Set-Em-Up Ace, there are others, with the better nose. Carl Hanselman, loved his old Thunder Bo Dee dog, he also said, that none of the pups out of him, had his nose, and he didn't think you could bred for the nose. With the hunts, going to two hours, then to one hour, hunts, you have a foot race. The only problem with that, in the season, when it turns cold, they can't tree you a coon, just trees. And when they are in a big hurry, to tree, those pop ups, they tend to go backwards, if the coon goes north, and the dogs are going south, they tend to grab a tree. Cause most dogs, are not hunted enough by themselves, they start treeing their own coon, then we put them in night hunts before they are ready. And the better the dog, the quicker, he grows old, my old Boone dog, stubbled the other day, i thought, boy he's getting feeble, i checked his papers, he was 13 years old in june, or 91 years by human age. I had Boone in only five hunts, some big, some small, he did not care which way the pack went, he would show you the coon, they would show you a slick tree. I did not put him in a hunt till he was 4 years old, the more i hunted him the better he got. Most dogs today are put in hunts too young, they are not solid enough yet, and they pick up a lot of bad habits, from the hunts.

Old Post 07-31-2015 09:17 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Re: Cold Nose

quote:
Originally posted by JOE H BROOKS
What i really love to see, is that old black&tan treeing a coon, that nothing else can open on, and nothing else on the tree, but him, and a big coon laying on a big limb, in plain sight. The dogs, with a real good nose, seem to be grandsons, of Set-Em-Up Ace, there are others, with the better nose. Carl Hanselman, loved his old Thunder Bo Dee dog, he also said, that none of the pups out of him, had his nose, and he didn't think you could bred for the nose. With the hunts, going to two hours, then to one hour, hunts, you have a foot race. The only problem with that, in the season, when it turns cold, they can't tree you a coon, just trees. And when they are in a big hurry, to tree, those pop ups, they tend to go backwards, if the coon goes north, and the dogs are going south, they tend to grab a tree. Cause most dogs, are not hunted enough by themselves, they start treeing their own coon, then we put them in night hunts before they are ready. And the better the dog, the quicker, he grows old, my old Boone dog, stubbled the other day, i thought, boy he's getting feeble, i checked his papers, he was 13 years old in june, or 91 years by human age. I had Boone in only five hunts, some big, some small, he did not care which way the pack went, he would show you the coon, they would show you a slick tree. I did not put him in a hunt till he was 4 years old, the more i hunted him the better he got. Most dogs today are put in hunts too young, they are not solid enough yet, and they pick up a lot of bad habits, from the hunts.

I agree. Pup hunts and allowing dogs under two to compete have hurt the breeds. I like a young starting dog more than anyone but I also like one that finishes before I put them in the woods with a lot of dumb trash running slickers.

Old Post 07-31-2015 04:00 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dawgg03
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Cold Nose

quote:
Originally posted by Blusk25
I agree. Pup hunts and allowing dogs under two to compete have hurt the breeds. I like a young starting dog more than anyone but I also like one that finishes before I put them in the woods with a lot of dumb trash running slickers.
👍

I use Sunfire lights

Old Post 07-31-2015 04:11 PM
jaw72
UKC Forum Member

judging stud potential

anybody using hunt titles or htx to pick their stud to breed to is on the wrong track anyway. better go hunting with them several nights and see for yourself

Old Post 08-02-2015 01:03 AM
jaw72 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jaw72 Find more posts by jaw72 Add jaw72 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Cold Nose

quote:
Originally posted by Blusk25
hurt the breeds how?

Old Post 08-02-2015 04:12 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

quote:
OR hurt the babbling, can't handle the track, packed up, cover dog?

Take him to a hey field cut them 100 yards from the timber and get you pencil ready..... thats how I hurt them...

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 08-02-2015 01:20 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
Take him to a hey field cut them 100 yards from the timber and get you pencil ready..... thats how I hurt them...
Can't hurt em the 1st Minute, can't do nothing but put em down for a 100 if they call em after. While the honest strike dog gets on paper for 25 goes deep has his coon, the babbler hears em gets there 4min. later gets 75 for covering & because of a flawed strike scoring system & and not having a countdown takes the lead!!

Old Post 08-03-2015 05:44 AM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

The good ole measuring stick!!

Last edited by shane_atchison on 08-03-2015 at 05:52 AM

Old Post 08-03-2015 05:44 AM
Blusk25
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Cold Nose

quote:
hurt the breeds how?

Young dogs are too impressionable to be ran with trash. You run a young dog with trash. You get trash. That's how it hurts the individual dog.

As for the breeds. Most stud dogs are started studding at around 18 -22 months. Most dogs don't reach "full maturity" until 3 yrs old. Honestly how do you know what the finished product looks like if your studding at less than two years old. Also. Once studded out most will never hunt again. Again what is the finished product look like? A lot of people say ace turned mean around four years old. How many pups would he have had if he'd got barred from any Kc for fighting?

To me. It's a better bet to breed a dog that is hunted until 5-6 before retiring to stud. At least then you know how the dog finished.

Old Post 08-03-2015 03:47 PM
Blusk25 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blusk25 Click here to Send Blusk25 a Private Message Click Here to Email Blusk25 Find more posts by Blusk25 Add Blusk25 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

I agree many pups entered today aren't ready for the hunts, but a pup who has received proper trash breaking and shown independence & accuracy should have a format to compete.

I guess some young dogs do get ruined breeding gyps early on, but if they've shown to be exceptional at a young age with the qualities hunters look for why not? Their DNA & pedigree doesn't change from 2yrs to 10yrs old. ACE is an excellent example, he was titled out and proven he could reproduce early on. It would've been unfortunate for the B&T breed if he would not have been bred til 5-6yrs old. His sire was a lil gritty so I think that came naturally.

Last edited by shane_atchison on 08-03-2015 at 09:43 PM

Old Post 08-03-2015 09:40 PM
gfults
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Can't hurt em the 1st Minute, can't do nothing but put em down for a 100 if they call em after. While the honest strike dog gets on paper for 25 goes deep has his coon, the babbler hears em gets there 4min. later gets 75 for covering & because of a flawed strike scoring system & and not having a countdown takes the lead!!

Just because a handler waits to strike his dog after the minute, does not protect his dog from being minused for babbling! Read the rule. The minute just gives you a grace period not to have to strike your dog. If a dog leaves out babbling and hes declared struck at 1:01, hes to be minused for babbling. I do however agree with you about the point system. Its definitely for the weaker dog. Ive treed a lot of coons so that a 75 babbling mutt that's also a 75 me tooing idiot can beat me by just being 2nd all night!! The only sport where being 2nd the entire contest will wind you up 1st!!

Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Pa. Junior
Tenn. Black Lexus( Pa. Junior x Hulios Lil Stripper)

PKC Ch. Tenn. Blackjack- R.I.P.

Old Post 08-11-2015 10:33 PM
gfults is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gfults Click here to Send gfults a Private Message Click Here to Email gfults Find more posts by gfults Add gfults to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gfults
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SEKY Coonhunter
[B]I don't really think much is broken about the hunts. It's a hound and handler combo. The BEST handler in the world can't win if his dog doesn't put coon in trees.

Wanna bet? It probably happens in at least one cast at 90% of all the hunts!!

Gr.Nt.Ch. PKC Ch. Pa. Junior
Tenn. Black Lexus( Pa. Junior x Hulios Lil Stripper)

PKC Ch. Tenn. Blackjack- R.I.P.

Old Post 08-11-2015 10:37 PM
gfults is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gfults Click here to Send gfults a Private Message Click Here to Email gfults Find more posts by gfults Add gfults to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote