UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Blue barrel dog house
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

Blue barrel dog house

I’m planning to make some dog houses out of blue plastic barrels. There is a place close to me that has them pretty cheap. They used to have windshield washer fluid in them? Can they be cleaned out and would they be safe for dog house use? If so what would I need to clean them with if I tried them? Thanks for the help.

Bmc96

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-25-2023 06:43 PM
bmc96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bmc96 Click here to Send bmc96 a Private Message Find more posts by bmc96 Add bmc96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

As long as it wasn't the anti-freeze window washing fluid I don't think it would be a problem. Washing with dish soap and rinse really well.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 03-25-2023 09:37 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

Thanks. I may give it a try. I just don’t want to do it thinking it’s a good deal and hurt the dog somehow.

Bmc96

Old Post 03-25-2023 10:05 PM
bmc96 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bmc96 Click here to Send bmc96 a Private Message Find more posts by bmc96 Add bmc96 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill(Chew)
UKC Forum Member

Get an extra barrel, cut the ends off, cut it around the center, then cut those two pieces in half making them a 1/4 barrel. Then screw them across the top making a cover over the door. Cut just a 8 by 12 in hole for the door. Mine stay dry even during hurricanes.

Old Post 03-26-2023 05:32 AM
Bill(Chew) is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bill(Chew) Click here to Send Bill(Chew) a Private Message Click Here to Email Bill(Chew) Find more posts by Bill(Chew) Add Bill(Chew) to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the suggestion Bill. I appreciate it.

Bmc96

Old Post 03-26-2023 12:56 PM
coonhunter00
UKC Forum Member

Wash it out good , dry it, take a reciprocating saw and cut out a half moon for an entry hole, screw two cut pieces of lumber (2x4 or 4x4) on the bottom at the front and rear across to keep from rolling over, and you should be good to go. I have done them like this over the years. Cedar and pine bedding mix year round and add a little straw in the colder months.

Old Post 03-26-2023 02:31 PM
coonhunter00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonhunter00 Click here to Send coonhunter00 a Private Message Click Here to Email coonhunter00 Find more posts by coonhunter00 Add coonhunter00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

That sounds good. I wouldn’t think if I washed it out with soap and water along with maybe some bleach then dry it that it wouldn’t have anything left in it that would hurt the dog.

Bmc96

Old Post 03-26-2023 07:45 PM
Drafts
UKC Forum Member

I have been using the blue barrels that had washer fluid in them for years. I cut the half moon out one end for the door. Wash out good with plain water and let air dry for a day or two. No issues at all. Been doing my houses like that for a long time. I also screw 2x4’s or 4x4’s to the bottom so the barrel wont roll also. Cut your boards about 3’ long. One at the front and one at the back. If your pens have a top, that is all you need. If not, or if your dogs are on chains the 1/4 barrel over the door works very well keeping the rain out. I always drill a couple small holes in the bottom to let water out just in case.

Old Post 03-26-2023 09:18 PM
Drafts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Drafts Click here to Send Drafts a Private Message Find more posts by Drafts Add Drafts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

Great! It’s good to know that someone has used the ones with washer fluid in them before with no issues. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Bmc96

Old Post 03-27-2023 12:26 AM
mkruep
UKC Forum Member

barrels

I have been using them for years. They are chew proof, don't rot, and the best part is that in the winter time they are draft free. It's a shame that a barrel maker doesn't make a rectangle barrel similar to that- it would be light weight and be a lot cheaper than the aluminium boxes they are making today. Overall they make great dog houses.

Old Post 03-28-2023 01:12 AM
mkruep is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mkruep Click here to Send mkruep a Private Message Click Here to Email mkruep Find more posts by mkruep Add mkruep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: barrels

quote:
Originally posted by mkruep
I It's a shame that a barrel maker doesn't make a rectangle barrel similar to that- it would be light weight and be a lot cheaper than the aluminium boxes they are making today.

There's an outfit in Ontario, Canada called Peterson Custom Products (search Facebook ) that's makes as nice a dog box as I've seen. Solid plastic,custom made the way you want it. Check out his pics on Facebook. The box I asked about was about half the price I expected.

Old Post 03-28-2023 06:05 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bmc96
UKC Forum Member

Nice. I have seen pictures where people have made dog boxes to haul their dogs out of barrels but nothing professionally made.

Bmc96

Old Post 03-28-2023 12:25 PM