UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How many do you hunt?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

How many do you hunt?

Right now I've only got one old male dog, 6 years old. I had a pair of young dogs I was hunting but quickly found out my schedule these days isnt going to allow to me get a young dog in the woods enough to do one justice much less two. My old dog isnt flashy, and a long ways from perfect but he will tree and a coon and handles like a dream. Just curious about the other guys on the boars? Do you hunt and keep several dogs at the time? Me personally, I've never been able to let myself keep more than I could keep hunted. I've been down that road before when I had a lot more free time to hunt and the numbers never seemed to help me. If I had and hunted more dogs I still only had one or two that really impressed me, the others were just dogs. I do know some guys that hit the woods a lot harder than I do that have several dogs and keep them all hunted up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-21-2018 10:23 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
S.Davis
UKC Forum Member

Most the time I keep 1 and that's it sometimes 2 but it depends on what time of year and if im.hunting most every night

Old Post 05-21-2018 10:45 PM
S.Davis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for S.Davis Click here to Send S.Davis a Private Message Click Here to Email S.Davis Find more posts by S.Davis Add S.Davis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
high ridge
UKC Forum Member

1 at a time.

Old Post 05-22-2018 01:20 AM
high ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for high ridge Click here to Send high ridge a Private Message Click Here to Email high ridge Find more posts by high ridge Add high ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

currently 6 . i am really only keeping 5 hunted up but it is tuff at times. i hunt most every nite. i think i would get tired of hunting the same dog with no other choices.

Old Post 05-22-2018 01:21 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

My magic number is 3 I like to keep a decent old dog to fall back on when I think about quiting and I like to keep 2 hopefully young dogs. Hopefully doesn't usually turn out though

Old Post 05-22-2018 02:19 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

How many depends on your style, situation, and other things. As for me, I have 4 dogs. 5, 6, and 8 and 9 yrs old. I hunt all of them at the same time every other days. I road hunt for pleasure only. My two curs are the hottest, fastest and most driven of the four. They run ahead of the two hounds until a scent is found. Sometime the hounds will pick one up and the curs will run back to join in.

Last edited by croatankid on 05-23-2018 at 04:23 PM

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:22 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
croatankid
UKC Forum Member

How many depends on your style, situation, and other things. As for me, I have 4 dogs. 5, 6, and 8 and 9 yrs old. I hunt all of them at the same time every other days. I road hunt for pleasure only. My two curs are the hottest, fastest and most driven of the four. They run ahead of the two hounds until a scent is found. Sometime the hounds will pick one up and the curs will run back to join in.

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:22 PM
croatankid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for croatankid Click here to Send croatankid a Private Message Click Here to Email croatankid Find more posts by croatankid Add croatankid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

I usually always own 2 or 3. Currently I only have one young dog that is living with me and I’m hunting, my older dogs are living elsewhere at the moment.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 05-22-2018 07:35 PM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

I own a 7 year old, he's the only one I got, but I'm getting a puppy next week! Looking forward to training a new pup!

Old Post 05-23-2018 12:39 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MUSKY
UKC Forum Member

Old dog, young dog, puppy..... mostly hunting the young dog but take the old dog occasionally. Anytime I have more than 3 It seems like you can’t do any of them justice.

Home of:
A couple old plugs

Old Post 05-23-2018 12:45 PM
MUSKY is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MUSKY Click here to Send MUSKY a Private Message Click Here to Email MUSKY Find more posts by MUSKY Add MUSKY to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote