UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunting out of a boat
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

Hunting out of a boat

I’m thinking about rigging a 15’ flat bottom to access river land and islands to hunt. Anyone else on here hunt off a boat? Not looking to rig up anything fancy, just a 15’ Jon boat with a 25 horse motor, couple of snaps for the dogs and some good lights. We’ve got a ton of public land but the bulk and best of it is deer on the river and only acceable by boat.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-18-2018 12:18 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

We do it all the time. Works great, but if you cut on coons you see on the bank you will cause a babbling problem real fast.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 05-18-2018 12:37 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dogwhisper
UKC Forum Member

It's alot of fun....we use canoes .. dog strikes off the canoe and we send them from the canoe ......almost as enjoyable as useing mules.

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:19 PM
Dogwhisper is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dogwhisper Click here to Send Dogwhisper a Private Message Find more posts by Dogwhisper Add Dogwhisper to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mark Blair
UKC Forum Member

Love it! Hunt on the lake every fall. Like Joey said don't always turn right on top of coons on the bank it don't take long your dog will go crazy as soon as his feet hits the bank whether there is a coon there or not! Easy to start a babbling problem but absolutely love hunting on the lake. Love to hear the echoes of treed hounds on the water!

Old Post 05-18-2018 04:34 PM
Mark Blair is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Blair Click here to Send Mark Blair a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark Blair Find more posts by Mark Blair Add Mark Blair to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Dogs will learn to rig out of a boat just like off a dog box. Tie them in the front of the boat and cruise along the bank. When they start opening, stop about 20 yds from the bank and cut em loose. Make em jump in and swim to the bank.

Old Post 05-18-2018 05:44 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Dogs will learn to rig out of a boat just like off a dog box. Tie them in the front of the boat and cruise along the bank. When they start opening, stop about 20 yds from the bank and cut em loose. Make em jump in and swim to the bank.
we were hunting out of a boat in lake north fork several years ago . saw a coon about 50 yards out swimming . my coon hunting buddy decided to get the coon with a dip net . when he scooped it out a went to swing the coon out it ran down the handle on got on top of his head . the battle was on .he still swears to this day if i hadnt been shining my light in his eyes he would have won . coon bloodied his head up bought took one of his fingers off before it exited the boat and swam away . we called it and went to the house where he used super glue to fix his finger and jim beam for the pain . l can still hear him asking on the way to the dock do i still have both my ears ? my replie was you looks like he left ya one .lol

Old Post 05-18-2018 06:57 PM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Did he put his beer down and say, "watch this" right before he scooped him up?

Old Post 05-18-2018 08:38 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

thomasg

Now that was funny, I can just imagine what that battle looked like. Lol. Dave

Old Post 05-18-2018 09:07 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Did he put his beer down and say, "watch this" right before he scooped him up?
yeap . it was about a one minute show that i will never forget. lol i told him it wasnt a good idea but he thought he could just scoop the coon up and put it the live well without any problems . of course every time he ever told me just watch this it never ended well for him .lol

Old Post 05-19-2018 12:38 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Hip boots and tying a dog in a small boat at night could be deadly,, trying to unsnap a drowning dog in the dark with hipboots on may cost you your life......Please,Take this advise Train that dog to sit/stay....wear a PFD...and roll those hipboots down.Years ago I had 2 friends almost drown in 40 degree water while using a johnboat trying to get dogs in flooded timber They had 2 dogs tied and 1 jumped out and caused the boat to flip.....

Old Post 05-19-2018 03:05 AM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

Hip boots and tying a dog in a small boat at night could be deadly,, trying to unsnap a drowning dog in the dark with hipboots on may cost you your life......Please,Take this advise Train that dog to sit/stay....wear a PFD...Years ago I had 2 friends almost drown in a johnboat trying to get dogs in flooded timber They had 2 dogs tied and 1 jumped out and caused the boat to flip.....

Old Post 05-19-2018 03:07 AM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

James Grice

Excellent advise, it only takes one mistake, always wear a life jacket. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 05-19-2018 at 06:38 PM

Old Post 05-19-2018 05:08 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You have to have a 12 in chain for each dog bolted to the inside of your boat to keep your dogs snapped to. Lead straps are too long. Having a boat wide enough to put your dog box in is best. A pontoon boat is the best hunting boat, plenty of room for a dog box and they do well in shallow water. Also enough room for a cooler and spectators. Wives, girlfriends and buddies will enjoy pontoon boat hunting.

Old Post 05-19-2018 02:37 PM
tony.beals
UKC Forum Member

Float hunting

Look at Dec 1990 Blood Lines, Steve Fielder, Todd Kellum, and myself float hunted my river up here in Michigan. We did a float trip for coon. Back in late 80's early 90's I floated using a 14 ft Flat bottom boat with a trolling motor. I rigged off of boat, no I did not have trouble with dogs babbling . It's a lot of fun and you will see things you normally would not while coon hunting. I recommend using a trolling motor to cruise with while hunting much quitier just use the gas motor to either get to where you are going and hunt back or use trolling motor to hunt first and gas to get you back. I also built a 4 ft wide platform on front of boat and yes about 12 to 15 inch chain with snap. When dogs rigged I would unsnap and usually they jumped off boat before I hit shore. Again great way to hunt and lots of fun.

MSG, US ARMY RETIRED
President of Michigan State United Coon Hunters Association

Old Post 05-21-2018 01:40 AM
tony.beals is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tony.beals Click here to Send tony.beals a Private Message Click Here to Email tony.beals Find more posts by tony.beals Add tony.beals to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

A trolling motor would be ideal but all three of the rivers I hunt would be a bit much for one. I put a ratchet strap across the front and tie loops in it to snap the dogs on. They can only move their heads a few inches. I keep a knife on my side and hopefully could get them cut loose if something goes wrong. I wouldn't hunt out of a boat that a dog could flip. I can stand on the side of mine and not take on water. Its 15ft and has a 50hp yamaha. It was originally a duck boat. Everyone wears a PFD or they don't get in.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-21-2018 03:59 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Me and two friends had three dogs in the boat one night and my foot got caught on something. I didn't pay much attention to it but a few minutes later I moved my foot and water splashed. I looked down and water was half way up my knee. My brother in law had used my boat and tied the string to the plug and then the side of the boat. That's what my foot hung in and I had pulled the plug. We were already several miles down river so we just kept hunting. It was to much weight to get planed off and pull the plug out to drain it, so we just dealt with it. Lots of stuff can go wrong so be really careful.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-21-2018 04:09 PM
Randy Williams
UKC Forum Member

I like hunting out of a boat. We always wear a vest. Coon & hog hunt from boat, run trot lines, fish baskets, cast a net for shrimp, gig flounder in saltwater & catfish in fresh, & gator hunt. In the middle of the night or early morning, you see & hear all kinds of varmits if drifting down or using trolling motor. Somtimes go 30+ miles from boat ramp. Carry extra gas & backup motor. We have had the motor quit a long way from the ramp. A lot of times we have took tent,sleeping bags,etc & stayed a few days.

Old Post 05-21-2018 07:00 PM
Randy Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Williams Click here to Send Randy Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Williams Find more posts by Randy Williams Add Randy Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Me and two friends had three dogs in the boat one night and my foot got caught on something. I didn't pay much attention to it but a few minutes later I moved my foot and water splashed. I looked down and water was half way up my knee..

At that particular moment would you consider that boat half full or half empty lol

Old Post 05-21-2018 07:20 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Combine camping and coon hunting in one trip. Fish all day and hunt all night. What a life.

Old Post 05-21-2018 08:12 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Hunting from a boat

It's the best way I know of to get pups on hot tracks.

Old Post 05-21-2018 09:11 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
At that particular moment would you consider that boat half full or half empty lol

A boat is pretty strait forward. It's half empty, you know when its not! I used it at White river refuge this year. Kept it at lake Marrisach and a storm blew in and sunk it in the middle of the night. Luckily the bottom is filled with foam so it only sunk to the water line. The motor was barely stinking out of the water. Ruined my deer hunting for that morning but we had it all ready to go by that night.

Home Of:

Old Post 05-21-2018 09:49 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It is officially summer now.

Old Post 05-22-2018 05:20 AM
Randy Williams
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Combine camping and coon hunting in one trip. Fish all day and hunt all night. What a life.

Yep, thats what I used to do. 62 now and cant handle it, have to sleep more. I don't ever fish with a rod n reel, just trotlines & sometimes set baskets. we catch a bunch of fish. sometimes i set the trotlines then coon hunt then check the lines. I don't tie my dogs in the boat, I make them stay till I get to the bank. I don't put up with any loose mouthing at all and aint never had a problem with it from the boat. me & a buddy camped on cedar hill island, in the santee river about 3 r 4 weeks ago & got catfish on trots. There was a extra high tide on friday night. We had about 1-1/2" of water in the bottom of the tent sat morning.

Old Post 05-22-2018 05:33 AM
Randy Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Williams Click here to Send Randy Williams a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Williams Find more posts by Randy Williams Add Randy Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard Lambert

Now that's plumb funny! Didn't know you were the Tom Sawyer type. Lol. Hope you have a ton of fun, stay safe. Dave

Old Post 05-22-2018 06:07 AM