UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Scratch Mentality
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier Man1
I haven't found that to be true at all. Maybe it depends on where your from.

Seems like I have to judge everywhere I go. Never had a problem with a single handler that hunts for a living.

Only arguing I ever get is within a couple of hours of the house and always a small entry fee.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-09-2019 09:35 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Seems like I have to judge everywhere I go. Never had a problem with a single handler that hunts for a living.

Only arguing I ever get is within a couple of hours of the house and always a small entry fee.

I know around here I used to have to be on full power to win now I can win on half power !! Josh maybe those guys your judging got enough dog power on full power they don’t have to argue or cheat.

Tar

Old Post 06-09-2019 09:40 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
IJosh maybe those guys your judging got enough dog power on full power they don’t have to argue or cheat.

Tar

That is usually the case.

Old Post 06-09-2019 09:42 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
The man hunting for a living and 10k is usually easier to deal with than the guy hunting a local hunt for a win towards Nt Ch

Agree!!!!

Old Post 06-09-2019 10:05 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

JAH

New system old system, ALL you could or can do is WIN your cast. Dogs never hunted with any dogs, but the dogs in their cast. How do you consider a cast winner under the new rules to be less worthy than under the old rules? YOU somehow think the new format cheapens the titles please enlighten us with YOUR rationale. Dave

Old Post 06-09-2019 10:24 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

Your ever catch a break? I mean where the RULES could have minuses you and you did not get minused ! I do not advocate breaking the RULES, everyone should follow the RULES, but WE know that this does not happen 100 percent of the time. My issue is the folks that accept these free breaks that go their way, but want to enforce rules that punish their competition. If everyone would man up and take the minus points every time their dog done something wrong regardless of the judge catching it or not, we would have better hunts. Yes, the scratch rules for shining and squalling need changed, along with some other rules. Dave

Old Post 06-09-2019 10:35 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Dave you have Never hunted wit me or against me, Your not a member of any coon club, don’t know how many years it’s been since you even been in or to a hunt, all I’m saying is blame UKC blame the rules committee and stop belittling the hunts, people and there dogs! I can’t remember the last time I seen Anyone scratched for this rule except my handler and he should have known better, did we have the better dog that night, well if he hadn’t blown the squalor before the judge said to we would had won, but he knows better and it will never happen again. Have a good day sir.

Old Post 06-09-2019 10:54 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

I belonged to a coon club for many years and hunted and supported several other clubs in my area. I told you that I would not be a member if any club in name only, I could join a dozen clubs and be a non working members THATS exactly what the Clubs do not need, Clubs need working members , I no longer have the time or desire to be a working member of any club, that does not prevent me from helping those clubs in other ways. Every member has a vote in the Clubs business and non working members have the same says I as working members, I do not believe any club benefits from this and won't belong to a club where I do not work to support. No, I have not hunted with you, that is why I asked you how many times you benefited from a non call by the judge, you still never answered this question. You only state the call that scratched your handler, surely there have been calls or no calls that benefited you or your handler in some of the hunts. Last you were not being called out for anything, it's the mentality of those who willingly accept the breaks that jump to scratch or minus other handlers at every chance that are being called out on my posts. If the shoe does not fit, it's not about you. Have a nice day. Dave

Old Post 06-09-2019 11:12 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Congrats to Ronnie handling Dual Gn Homemade Josie on another PKC Win Thursday night then another UKC Win with 1 year old Homemade Trouble both Owned by me, Josie is Troubles dame,

Old Post 06-09-2019 11:30 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

For the record I still hunt in the hunts, albeit not very often. I certainly have not belittled the hunts or anyone's dog as you suggested in your post. I am an avid supporter if UKC HUNTSS, always have been and always will be period. My posts on this subject are based on what I have seen and things that are a matter of record. I stand by ALL of my comments on my posts. Dave

Old Post 06-09-2019 11:32 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

Didn’t expect anything less Dave. I’m at the beach eating the best donuts (7) iv ever eat with very beautiful women.

Old Post 06-09-2019 11:49 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tim Osborne

You lucky rascal, hope you have a nice time. Remember those doughnuts when you are climbing these mountains. Lol. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2019 12:09 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Dave I can’t speak for nobody else I just come from a different place in time that is gone ! I always wanted to feel like I beat all 70 of the dogs at the hunt I won my cast and out scored the other 66 dogs got the first place trophy and high scoring dog of hunt trophy and was very proud of my accomplishments!! I worked hard for that and prepared for months for those hunts. Texas state hunt or ada Oklahoma was 300 dogs a night your dog better have been right to win those hunts. Now to win your cast at a 3 or 6 dog hunt just don’t have the same flavor it don’t even peak my interest. As I said a different place in time. My place except when the stars line up and I feel good is in this chair it just ain’t the same to me.

You go to enough hunts with a dog that will me too you can gain a title now. And a good dog will finish easily.

Tar

Old Post 06-10-2019 12:21 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

You are right in some aspects, the hunts today are not comparable to the hunts if years past in numbers of dogs at the hunts. I too remember 15 to 30 casts of registered dogs at the local hunts. Where we disagree is in thinking a high score in one cast actually was better than ALL the other casts. There were way to many variables in that situation, hunting honeyholes that the other casts did not get to hunt. ALK one ever did was beat the dogs in the cast they were hunting inn never beat the dogs in the other casts only in score. Now WE all know that was a tainted way of placing cast winners, but it was the only way we had in the old format. I have been the high scoring winner plenty of times in the old format but NEVER had the delusion that I actually beat all of the other dogs in the Hunt, I knew that I only had the highest score that night. High score was more dependent on where a cast hunted than the quality of the dog. We ALL know that casts were at the mercy of the draw and where they got to hunt that night, shucks, most of us knew who had the best draw before we even left the Club. How was that ever a equitable way of placing cast winners? The new system awards cast winners equally as it should be, old habits if high score placement was definitely flawed and favored t hose with better hunting spots. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2019 01:35 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Dave in case you ain’t noticed at the big hunts they are still awarding high scoring placements and prizes by scores. Ain’t everybody going for the just a cast win just beat the dogs in your cast thing. And honey hole ? You got to have plus points to win in ukc. Just take a cast to an open field and when they start griping say ukc and Dave don’t want you haven no honey hole advantage so hear y’all are you get the ole dry hole advantage instead !

Tar

Old Post 06-10-2019 03:29 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Lol. No one wants a dry hole cast, but let's get real, we all know that every cast does not get the same quality hunting grounds. There is always someone who has that special spot to hunt where the chances are very high that they will score on several coons. How is that equitable to all casts that did not have this advantage. Say what you want, but until we have a cast winner elimination WINNER, we DO NOT have a true Champion. Yes, I know they still have hunts with High Score Champions and this system is just as flawed as ever. You dang well know that even at these Big hunts there are casts getting put in better spots with more coon, so How does a high score prove that cast winner to be a better dog than any other cast winner? Drive long distance to one of these Big hunts, pay your entry and get a bad hunting spot, win that cast with the only coon seen and not even place in the Hunt. Who really wants to hunt in that kind if format, the ones that know they will be hunting in the honeyholes, that's who! It's time for all the bigger hunts to go to a cast winner elimination style format, get rid if the high score 1 cast win mentality. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2019 07:35 AM
yadkintar
Banned

From now on it is only leagal to take a cast to where there is only 1 coon to tree ! If your dog trees more than one coon you are disqualified and your blue ribbon you was given at the beginning of the hunt taken away ! We need equality in these hunts !!! No more being put down by dah man because your dog can only tree 1 coon in 2 hrs.

Don’t blame the coons they didn’t dry hole you !!

Tar

Old Post 06-10-2019 12:17 PM
Sgraves
UKC Forum Member

Would not mind it, but it would take a whole week to hunt winter classic with new format. Would it be worth it an would the same number dogs show up?

Old Post 06-10-2019 12:44 PM
Sgraves is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sgraves Click here to Send Sgraves a Private Message Click Here to Email Sgraves Find more posts by Sgraves Add Sgraves to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Surveyor
UKC Forum Member

I been comp hunting over 30 years, been in the world finals 4 of the last 10 years and I have never seen someone scratched for a cheap rule violation, yet I see 5 pages here telling what a big issue it is. Am I just lucky?

2 time world finalist, 10th overall and high scoring Bluetick of the 2010 UKC World Coonhound Championship
NASHOBA VALLEY PIAZON, (RIP)
his littermate brother
UKC NT CH SHEPPARDS NORTHERN
BLUE LONER (RIP)
UKC GR NT CH RATTLERS BLUE SKY (RIP)
UKC Gr NT CH, PKC Ch Sheppard's Northern Blue Abbie, (PiazonxSky) UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Sheppards Northern Blue Punkin (PiazonXAlice) High scoring Bluetick of the 2015 (50th anniversary) Grand American, 2017 National Grand Nite Champion of breed, 2017 BBOA zone 4 Nite hunt dog of the year. Queen of hunt on 2019 Grand National Bluetick Reunion, 5th place and High Scoring Bluetick of 2019 UKC world Nite hunt Championship, 2019 Triple Crown Winner.
UKC GR NT CH 'pr' Mckintosh's Blue Flame Chopper
Gr Nt Ch Sheppards Northern Blue Goomba (Piazon X Dizzie) 14th place 2017 UKC world coon hound championship 100 purina point cast wins in 2018
and several other blueticks of lesser accomplishments

Old Post 06-10-2019 03:22 PM
Surveyor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Surveyor Click here to Send Surveyor a Private Message Click Here to Email Surveyor Find more posts by Surveyor Add Surveyor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor
I been comp hunting over 30 years, been in the world finals 4 of the last 10 years and I have never seen someone scratched for a cheap rule violation, yet I see 5 pages here telling what a big issue it is. Am I just lucky?
There's another thread on her with 20 replies on when you can tree your dog. I'm sure if you ask if a dog should have four legs and a tail, you would 50 replies stating, the best dog I ever saw was a three-legged, bobtail dog.

Old Post 06-10-2019 03:56 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Surveyor

If you've never been to a hunt where no one has got scratched for blowing a squaller or seen a card thrown out for missing a symbol then yes you are lucky. I've seen the first lots of times and the later enough that it needs a remedy. As for the silent dog never seen one scratched so it is just taking up space.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-10-2019 04:01 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

I could be wrong and probably am but wonder if more handlers aren't scratched for showing out than hounds are for making mistakes.?

Old Post 06-10-2019 06:31 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

Now you have started being ridiculous, no one is advocating a cast should not get to hunt in a high coon population area. I am stating the fact that a high score alone is not the basis for determining the best dog. Comparing scores from casts that hunted different ground and different coon populations is a joke. Just because old Joe run up a big score in cast A does not mean he is a better dog than Sue who won cast B with a lower score. Take a real good look at some of the big $KC'S hunts and just see how many times a high score in an early round went on to win that hunt. It means nothing to have a high score in one cast. Do you really think that EVERYONE has an equal chance of winning a hunt under the high score mentality at Walker Days Grand American, etc. Regardless of how good your dog is, you can not beat dogs in other casts and for a winner to be based on a higher score is a joke. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2019 10:37 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Your right Dave I just was passing time till I went fishing lol. And boy did we catch um I don’t never get tired of it lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-10-2019 10:55 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Tar

I have been fishing for crappie, and have been catching some really nice ones in the 14 to 15 inch range, nice eating size. We have been having a blast, we also, wind up catching hybrids, walleye and catfish as we are using minnows to fish with. Our lakes are full from all the rain this spring and we are night fishing from a boat. Dave

Old Post 06-10-2019 11:26 PM