UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Is selling, the new "culling"?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ClayBottom11
UKC Forum Member

Is selling, the new "culling"?

Question of now vs 20-30 years ago.. Is there a big difference of how dogs were handled that didn't make it back then? It seems now that if a dog isn't cutting it, they just get peddled onto the next person. Was there more culling back in the 80's/90's?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-13-2019 06:16 PM
ClayBottom11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ClayBottom11 Click here to Send ClayBottom11 a Private Message Find more posts by ClayBottom11 Add ClayBottom11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

In my opinion there was a lot more dog trading and peddling in the 60s and 70s than now.

Old Post 08-13-2019 06:22 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

Yes.

Old Post 08-13-2019 06:34 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Probably about the same percentage... instead of culling they end up at a trade day!....or on the internet!

Old Post 08-13-2019 06:45 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
trkrmsy
UKC Forum Member

Definitely more dog trading went on in the past.

Old Post 08-13-2019 07:03 PM
trkrmsy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for trkrmsy Click here to Send trkrmsy a Private Message Find more posts by trkrmsy Add trkrmsy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

It's just changed from trading dogs at the local club to selling them on the internet. Samething only now there is more money involved

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-13-2019 11:13 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HERSHSHUNTIN
UKC Forum Member

years ago, about this time of year, a fellow out my way would get a cattle trailer full of hound like dogs some even from the animal shelter and haul them to Kenton and trade em off for others then sell those back out this way--he was a fur buyer so he moved them by the first part of Oct.--IMO most should of been culled --those he took to trade and those he hauled back to sell

hershtwo@yahoo.com
Life member NRA
Current dogs
GR CH NT CH RED MIGHTY 90-Bo/Sierra
NT.CH.GR CH BEYOND BILLY HTX --Billy the Kid/ Amber
GR CH 1ST & 2ND place wins 90/4 LIFE GUN-HTX==-Willy BOY/Bigtime Britt
Dogs I have owned
Nt ch Gr ch HERSHS HUNTIN RED IKE
NT CH CH HERSHS HUNTIN BUDDY
GR NT CH MILLERS DIRTY RED
NT CH CH LYNN'S CREEK JULIE
GR CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED KATE
CH NITE CH AMBRAW RIVER TIMBER ROCK
NT CH HERSHS HUNTIN RED CLEM
NT CH ROCKY TOP CHERRY

Old Post 08-13-2019 11:35 PM
HERSHSHUNTIN is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HERSHSHUNTIN Click here to Send HERSHSHUNTIN a Private Message Click Here to Email HERSHSHUNTIN Find more posts by HERSHSHUNTIN Add HERSHSHUNTIN to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

There are just as many culls today as there was back then...

The reasons are probably the same from back then and now...

A few reasons...one mans hunting dog is another mans cull...

Someone buys a top bred pup that doesn’t turn out so they sell it to get their money back...or...breed it to get their money back...

Last edited by Reuben on 08-14-2019 at 10:35 AM

Old Post 08-13-2019 11:41 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cory Highfill
UKC Forum Member

In the late 90s and early 00s I swapped and traded around a lot. Most of the time I'd rather have new than good, and several times I knowingly traded down just to have something different in the pen. It was boring to me to load the same old dog in the same old truck, drive to the same old spot and tree the same old coon in the same old tree.
After that for some reason i decided to start culling hard, but it occurred to me that I was dealing for junk then dealing with that junk. Didn't make a lot of sense.
The plan nowadays is to buy something decent, hunt it a season, and then sell it and start looking for something else.

Old Post 08-14-2019 03:39 AM
Cory Highfill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cory Highfill Click here to Send Cory Highfill a Private Message Click Here to Email Cory Highfill Find more posts by Cory Highfill Add Cory Highfill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bk1977
UKC Forum Member

Yes

I believe the answer is yes. It seems the well rounded coon dog that was once the goal of most breeding programs, has in many circumstances been bred into a more specialized hound. Along this journey, we may have gained stronger traits, that are desirable to certain regions, breeders, kennels, or groups of houndsmen. But Im also of the opinion, that we have lost much of our "all round hound foundation". I cull very hard, years ago there were many hounds that could tree a coon on their own, that just didn't make the cut. This was my thinking because, it was the way I was taught, and many thought the same way as the Old Timers did then. I capitalize (Old Timer) because it is a term of endearment and respect to me. Now I find many young dogs cant do it at all, some are all tree, many slick me to death, lots wont hunt, cant work a track unless its hot. I realize these are age old problems, but they appear to be more specialized, and intense, than in days past. If a dog can tree its own coon nowadays, its no longer a cull, its a "well started hound" that gets traded or sold for personal gain, or in effort to regain part of todays puppy prices. This is only my opinion, not meant to upset anyone. Im not a successful breeder, still gathering knowledge every chance I get.

Old Post 08-14-2019 06:19 AM
bk1977 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bk1977 Click here to Send bk1977 a Private Message Click Here to Email bk1977 Find more posts by bk1977 Add bk1977 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Driftwoodblue
UKC Forum Member

It sure appears that way.. in the 70's-80 if you got stuck with a cull you could take it to most gun and dog auctions and there would be a serum truck there that would give $25 for any slick haired dog in decent condition--- they did not seem to want long haired dogs.. used as research animals and to make Vaccines

that ended years ago

Old Post 08-14-2019 12:51 PM
Driftwoodblue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Driftwoodblue Click here to Send Driftwoodblue a Private Message Find more posts by Driftwoodblue Add Driftwoodblue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I think part of the problem is that in the old days it was easier to see if a dog was good or bad. We have improved the breeding (if you want to call it that) to have many bad dogs doing some good things. It is hard to cull the best tree dog you ever owned. FOR SOME. Even if the tree is slick most of the time. It is hard to get rid of the biggest mouth dog you ever owned. Just because it has another fault or two.

In the old days. If I could get one to hunt out and tree a little. I could generally make a decent dog out of it. Today we have them hunting miles and treeing plenty. That are junk hounds. But man can the hunt and tree.

Nothing will never replace the ability of a dog man to evaluate a hound. But plenty interferes with an inexperienced hound person getting rid of a dog that has some aspects of being a coonhound. When the look and sound so good at doing nothing. LOL

Old Post 08-14-2019 02:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Extremely hard hard treeing seems to blind a higher percentage of hunters than anything else!

Old Post 08-14-2019 02:30 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

You ever went to a burger restraunt nd when you get your burger it don’t look nothing like the picture on the menu. A lot of breeders figured out if they bred the right crosses that they could guarantee their pups would be running and treeing at 1 yr of age or your money back didn’t say they would have coons in their trees but hey if you bring it back they will give you your $500 back and sell it with a video of an all grand super tree dog to sombody else for $1,500 or higher.

The video never shows the top of the tree or eyeballs.

Tar

Old Post 08-14-2019 02:30 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

There is one aspect no one is talking about. Culling a hunting dog for not hunting is illegal in many areas today.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-14-2019 05:38 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Larry, I have always know you to be a smart man. Culling doesn't always mean to end their life on earth. Culling that removes them from the gene pool is effective and can be accomplished by just not breeding them or have them fixed at the vet so then can't be bred. Still have a big eyed loving pet. Culling or killing to remove them from your feed bill because you didn't have the sense to train them or the dog didn't have sense enough to be trained. Thats a whole different story and one best left for around the campfire.

Old Post 08-14-2019 06:03 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Sometimes you do what needs to be done and just keep it to yourself. I give one way more of a chance than I did years ago.

Tar

Old Post 08-14-2019 06:09 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Al Medcalf
UKC Forum Member

Most of my dogs are Curs, Plotts and crosses between the two. I don't sell my culls, I give them to hog hunters. Most of the time folks call me back and thank me because they made pretty good hog dogs.

Old Post 08-14-2019 06:16 PM
Al Medcalf is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Al Medcalf Click here to Send Al Medcalf a Private Message Click Here to Email Al Medcalf Find more posts by Al Medcalf Add Al Medcalf to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Good point Al. Lots of deer hunters down here and many a coondog cull have made a good deer hound.

Old Post 08-14-2019 07:19 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Extremely hard hard treeing seems to blind a higher percentage of hunters than anything else!

Hunted with a young man not long ago whose dog would tree 100+ a minute. It was hot and my dog was bawling on the tree some and barking half as much as his dog. He said "Your dogs not a very hard tree dog." I told him when you've been at this as long as I have you will realize that locating ability and staying treed are what's important and what makes a tree dog. Guess everyone likes one that barks fast but I like one that has a coon in the tree and will be there no matter how long it takes this old man to get there.

Old Post 08-14-2019 07:23 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

You're exactly right Mr. Tom!

Old Post 08-14-2019 10:49 PM
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

One of the best quotes I heard about how fast a dog barked was that he didn't care if the dog only barked 5 times a minute. That was enough to find him and was plenty to keep from being minused for not barking often enough.

Old Post 08-15-2019 12:50 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Is selling, the new "culling"?

quote:
Originally posted by ClayBottom11
Question of now vs 20-30 years ago.. Is there a big difference of how dogs were handled that didn't make it back then? It seems now that if a dog isn't cutting it, they just get peddled onto the next person. Was there more culling back in the 80's/90's?

Absolutely not more culling but there were a ton more traders that sometimes coonhunter lol. Someone also mentioned the serum buyers living 5 miles from Beckham's trade that has been going on for decades that was definitely the case. But in the day everyone traded dogs there was no internet to sell, very few actually got culled except for the few that may have not met breed standards at birth.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-15-2019 01:39 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Bruce

You are right. In fact, if we could search back far enough, I have made that same argument myself. I have kept dogs that were not breeding material until they passed of old age. I have sold some and given some away. New owners were always told of any quirks. Luckily, I haven't had any totally worthless in an extremely long time.

My bad, Bruce.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-15-2019 06:27 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

I have had a lot of happiness with so called cull dogs if you mean a dog that may not be a competition winner. I find these 2-3 year old dogs the owners don’t want a ton of money for because they aren’t winning and they become fantastic pleasure dogs. I have done it with coonhounds and beagles. One mans cull is another’s pleasure.

Old Post 08-15-2019 10:46 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote