UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Cow tags
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Slim shady
Banned

Cow tags

Who uses them and are they affective?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-24-2018 02:45 PM
Slim shady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slim shady Click here to Send Slim shady a Private Message Find more posts by Slim shady Add Slim shady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Well

Not being smart but a farmer does, for a 1500# cow. I don’t think they are for a 75# dog.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 02-24-2018 03:45 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
harleydan1956
UKC Forum Member

I have heard some use them, but one of my dogs had a bad reaction and almost died.

Canton, ohio
330-904-3392

Home of:
Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Moonlight Serenade... Gr. Ch. Nite Ch PR Hillbillys Smokey River Dutch HTX X Gr. Ch. Nite CH. PR Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara
Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Lil Bit of Respect.... Ch. Nite Ch PR Shivers' Magic Lead X GR. Ch. Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Betty Jane
PR. Lethal Blue Tayen Grace..... Nite Ch. Pr Coffins creek running J.R. X Gr Ch Nite Ch PR Lethal Blue Moonlite Serenade.

Gone but never forgotten
Gr. Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Izabell Sitara... Dual Gr. Ch PR Bowens Blue Deuce X Ch. Nite Ch. PR Becky.

Gr Ch Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Betty Jane...... PR. Crites Soggy Bottom Blue Banjo X PR. Mosquito Creek Tree mamma Sis

Gr Ch. Nite Ch. PR. Lethal Blue Rattlin Samantha ... Dual Gr Ch PR Mid Ohio Rattlin Sam X Gr Ch PR. Lethal Blue Jet's Xena

Gr. Ch. Nite Ch Hillbilly's Smokey River Blue Dutch HTX..... Gr. Ch. Gr. Nite Ch Pr. Smokey River Tramp's Blue Lake and Pr. Misty River Blue Doll III.
(Dutch wasn't ours, but he was here and like one of the family)

Pr. Dan's little Porter.... my last beagle...

Old Post 02-24-2018 03:51 PM
harleydan1956 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for harleydan1956 Click here to Send harleydan1956 a Private Message Click Here to Email harleydan1956 Find more posts by harleydan1956 Add harleydan1956 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

i've used them for years and never had a problem.

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:12 PM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

What are y'all talking about? Cow tags?

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:28 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Slim shady
Banned

Re: Well

quote:
Originally posted by MIKE CARDER
Not being smart but a farmer does, for a 1500# cow. I don’t think they are for a 75# dog.

Thanks for the info!!! BUT it’s all the same ingredients just have to use a little math and break it down..

I hunt really big hounds so I should be safe! 😂

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:30 PM
Slim shady is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Slim shady Click here to Send Slim shady a Private Message Find more posts by Slim shady Add Slim shady to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

there are several kinds of cattle tags. I have used the Y-TEX PYTHON tags they are purple in color and never had a problem. I put them on the collar just as they come in the package.

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:40 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

How long do they last?

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:44 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

On the thread I just brought to the top on the 2nd page shows how to fix them to fit collat.

Old Post 02-24-2018 05:44 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richard1953
UKC Forum Member

Chip Eisenhut is selling a tag that goes on the collar

Old Post 02-24-2018 06:02 PM
richard1953 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richard1953 Click here to Send richard1953 a Private Message Click Here to Email richard1953 Find more posts by richard1953 Add richard1953 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nathan Phenix
UKC Forum Member

I know lots guys use them I have also with success also had dog get sick using one. I heard a guy put one on each boot made him sick put in hospital. Couldn't figure out what wrong. Finally got better went back hunting again got sick all over. But figured out it was the tags causing it.

Bayou Creek Black and Tan’s

Nathan Phenix
417-255-5697

Old Post 02-24-2018 06:24 PM
Nathan Phenix is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Phenix Click here to Send Nathan Phenix a Private Message Find more posts by Nathan Phenix Add Nathan Phenix to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Purple python by y-tex.
There is a tag made by Spectra Shield for dogs that is the exact same only costs more.
Do your home work and you will have no problems using them.
The only people that have problems are not using them properly!!!

DO not use Magnums unless cut down
Because the size is larger than the regular one and it may cause allergic reaction as too much of the active ingredient would be on the dog.
As you see they are almost double the equivalent the ones for a large dog.

Python Magnum size ...........15.2 grams
Python regular size...............9.5 grams

14- 29 lb dog size..................4 gram
30- 55 lb size........................6 gram
56 lb and over size.................8 gram

I recommend anyone wanting to use one to read the usage on the Spectra Shield web site.
They are not recommended for use on pups under 6 months of age.
Or nursing females until pups reach at least 6 weeks.
They are more readily activated by movement so hanging the tag on a collar where it swings is actually more beneficial.

They are good 3-4 months.
They are better on ticks then the other two sold for cattle.They also help against biting flies.And helps control fleas.I would wonder if mosquitoes but never saw any info on them.

In the two years I have used them I found 1 tick and the tag had been on for nearly 3 months ,the tick was near the back end.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 02-24-2018 at 08:32 PM

Old Post 02-24-2018 08:16 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Re: Re: Well

quote:
Originally posted by Slim shady
Thanks for the info!!! BUT it’s all the same ingredients just have to use a little math and break it down..

I hunt really big hounds so I should be safe! 😂

You got it Slim Shady.Read my post above on break down.

Farmers use one on each ear on cattle.

Some people tend to exaggerate their experiences .The worst I ever heard was Allergic reactions.
And if your dog should be intolerant all you need to do is remove the tag and bath them real good with soapy water.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 02-24-2018 08:39 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brett robertson
UKC Forum Member

Order a bottle of taurus sc on ebay or amazon. Same as frontline, 9.1% fipronil. 1 cc between shoulder blades once a month. I run foxhounds year round and have 0 problems with fleas or ticks.

Old Post 02-24-2018 10:14 PM
brett robertson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brett robertson Click here to Send brett robertson a Private Message Find more posts by brett robertson Add brett robertson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
coonsmen
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Well

is there any certain way i should store the extra until they are needed so they dont go bad??

quote:
Originally posted by Pat Bizich
You got it Slim Shady.Read my post above on break down.

Farmers use one on each ear on cattle.

Some people tend to exaggerate their experiences .The worst I ever heard was Allergic reactions.
And if your dog should be intolerant all you need to do is remove the tag and bath them real good with soapy water.

Old Post 02-24-2018 11:52 PM
coonsmen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for coonsmen Click here to Send coonsmen a Private Message Click Here to Email coonsmen Find more posts by coonsmen Add coonsmen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

Tried them with NO success.

Old Post 02-25-2018 12:58 AM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

I've used the orange ones for years. From what I see on here, some people have had problems, but I haven't had any problems with them. They've worked well for me.

Again orange is the only ones I've used.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 02-25-2018 02:47 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Well

quote:
Originally posted by coonsmen
is there any certain way i should store the extra until they are needed so they dont go bad??

Once I open the sealed foil packet .I seal in an air tight baggie wrapped in foil and put in the freezer.
The air will dry them out if you don't preserve them air tight until use.
Just thought as writing this Maybe a small jar even with a tight lid. But I would still freeze them to extend life till you use them.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 02-25-2018 at 02:14 PM

Old Post 02-25-2018 02:09 PM
daniel urffer
UKC Forum Member

Seresto collars gentleman, they are worth every penny and they work for 8 months, can't beat'm.

Old Post 02-25-2018 03:52 PM
daniel urffer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for daniel urffer Click here to Send daniel urffer a Private Message Click Here to Email daniel urffer Find more posts by daniel urffer Add daniel urffer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote