UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > cold nose dogs
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

cold nose dogs

What line of Walker dogs are known for working up a cold track and putting a coon at the end?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-14-2024 10:09 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

I don't know about all of them but I was training a clover bred walker female for a guy, about a year ago, that did pretty good with a cold track. I saw her, with a younger dog too, run a bobcat. I saw the cat once but they couldn't hold it in the tree. The moon was bright enough that it would see me walking in, even with my light off, and jump out. That's just my experience.

Old Post 03-14-2024 10:32 PM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Cold nose went out the window when—

Hides went from $60 to $3
Tree points are rewarded more than strike
And having a fun night to see who had the best for a trophy to a $50,000 check or a new truck

Old Post 03-15-2024 01:08 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Fryar’s Treeing Walkers on Facebook
Old Walker blood that has that nose😊
NTCH. Hardwood Saul
NTCh. Yadkin River Buck

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Old Post 03-15-2024 01:18 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

Tidewater dogs that James powers out of Virginia has cold nosed dogs.they open on tracks other dogs don't even know is there.if your interested in talking to him message me and I'll send you his phone number.hes 85 years old and still hunts.

Old Post 03-15-2024 03:55 PM
buff1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buff1978
Tidewater dogs that James powers out of Virginia has cold nosed dogs.they open on tracks other dogs don't even know is there.if your interested in talking to him message me and I'll send you his phone number.hes 85 years old and still hunts.

Thanks for the info. He's a long way from me and in less than 2 months I'll be 75 so don't know that I should really be looking for a pup but I miss good track dogs. I will say this though, been coonhunting since I was 8 and a track dog that consistently put a coon on the end was never plentiful. I remember when a lot of hunters hunted 2 dogs to have one good one, a track dog and a tree dog.

Old Post 03-15-2024 10:31 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Preacher Tom
Thanks for the info. He's a long way from me and in less than 2 months I'll be 75 so don't know that I should really be looking for a pup but I miss good track dogs. I will say this though, been coonhunting since I was 8 and a track dog that consistently put a coon on the end was never plentiful. I remember when a lot of hunters hunted 2 dogs to have one good one, a track dog and a tree dog.

Tom, I agree with you 100 percent. I am 75 and remember the days when folks hunted 3/4 Dogs or more just to get what 1 good dog could do. Some were really good strike dogs, some were good track dogs and some were dogs that trees good, but few were good at all 3 phrases strike, track and tree. I have been fortunate to own a few top coons dogs that excelled in all 3, but they are rare indeed. Saying that, the rare ones spoil a man and the others are a disappointment or at least to me. If I were to get a pup, it would be from Conrad Fryer stock of dogs. Dave

Old Post 03-15-2024 11:18 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
What line of Walker dogs are known for working up a cold track and putting a coon at the end?
You might have settle for a bluetick.

Old Post 03-16-2024 03:59 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc

Lol

Old Post 03-16-2024 06:06 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Lol. I have seen some cold nosed blueticks, but they were too slow on track to suit me. I have owned some cold nosed Walkers that could move a cold track as fast as a hot track, they could run tracks that good dogs could not smell and show you the meat. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 03-16-2024 at 03:33 PM

Old Post 03-16-2024 08:19 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

I owned a blue tick/cur cross years ago that could run a cold track and was deadly accurate. Coons hides were high during that time and the man I bought him from made a living hunting coons. The first time I hunted with him I knew I had to own him and bought him for a big amount. I was highly satisfied with my purchase and would definitely own another one like him if I could find one. Dogs like him are scarce to say the least or I can not find one. Dave

Last edited by Dave Richards on 03-16-2024 at 03:42 PM

Old Post 03-16-2024 08:19 AM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I owned a blue tick/cur cross years ago that could run a cold track and was deadly accurate. Coons hides were high during that time and the man I bought him from made a living hunting coons. The first time I hunted with him I knew I had to own him and bought him for a big amount. I was highly satisfied with my purchase and would definitely own another one like him if I could find one. Dogs like him are scarce to say the least or I can not find one. Dave
Well, the Walker folks weren't very encouraging. With that being said, after 50 years of hunting Walkers, the fastest and best track dog I ever hunted with was a bluetick.

Old Post 03-16-2024 03:47 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I'm not opposed to a bluetick but wouldn't know where to start there either. Actually my first hunting was with my dad's bluetick that wasn't full blood. He was medium to hot nose but a locator and tree dog.

Old Post 03-16-2024 05:04 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Cold nosed dogs

Donald/ Preacher Tom, back in my younger days,( 75 now ) hunters in these mountains never had registered dogs, instead they bred coondog to coon dog regardless of breed. My first straight coon dog was bluetick redbone mix. She was a walk dog hunted close but could tree these old mountain coons. Mixing breeds based on ability was a common thing and registered dogs were a rarity in my part of the country. Von Plott based in the North Carolina Mts. Had registered Plotts, but most hunters were hunting hounds that were cross bred. Dave

Old Post 03-16-2024 05:36 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
Well, the Walker folks weren't very encouraging. With that being said, after 50 years of hunting Walkers, the fastest and best track dog I ever hunted with was a bluetick.

I hunted walkers and english 30 + years and then only mt currs around 20 yrs and these Blueticks i have now are the best track dogs ive had.Never thought someday id say that.Not so much real big cold trailers but they dont have to have a hot track to tree the coon.Ive only had one hound that was a cold trailer that would end with a coon in a tree and she was a bluetick english.Ive got one of my bluetick females bred now.Looking forward to a pup.

Old Post 03-16-2024 05:59 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeb
I hunted walkers and english 30 + years and then only mt currs around 20 yrs and these Blueticks i have now are the best track dogs ive had.Never thought someday id say that.Not so much real big cold trailers but they dont have to have a hot track to tree the coon.Ive only had one hound that was a cold trailer that would end with a coon in a tree and she was a bluetick english.Ive got one of my bluetick females bred now.Looking forward to a pup.

What bloodlines are your blueticks? Did you raise them from pups?

Old Post 03-16-2024 06:40 PM
Georgeb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
What bloodlines are your blueticks? Did you raise them from pups?

Yes ,Im not the breeder but i raised all 3 that i have from 7 week old pups and all 3 were early starters and made good dogs at a young age and did it in the hills where coon arent thick.Im very thankful i met the man that has this stock of hound. My two females are littermates and there mother is the same cross as my male.These pups will be uncle niece cross.Theyve been a pleasure to own .They are Smokey River bred. I bred my female 33 days ago and shes not showing yet.I hope she is pregnant.Ill know soon.

Old Post 03-16-2024 07:37 PM
Georgeb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Georgeb Click here to Send Georgeb a Private Message Click Here to Email Georgeb Find more posts by Georgeb Add Georgeb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: cold nose dogs

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Lol. I have seen some cold nosed buttocks, but they were too slow on track to suit me. I have owned some cold nosed Walkers that could move a cold track as fast as a hot track, they could run tracks that good dogs could not smell and show you the meat. Dave
I have two out Big Country that don't stay in the same place very long.

Old Post 03-16-2024 08:50 PM
MOcoondogs
UKC Forum Member

As a blue ticker I like the smokey river dogs and the great plains varmit hounds. They have all been natural starters with some starting earlier than others. I got my first pup from Warren hausler back in 97. If you stay with the line bred Smokey River dogs that Richard Edinger has or the Great plains varmit hounds that Guy Ormiston produces you can almost predict what you will have. Also my experience with breeding them to other bloodline is they will at least produce dogs that will tree coon. Both bloodlines are similar and have diamond Jim prominent in their pedigree. Both are known for handling tracks well, honest, and stay put on the tree. My experience has been that in thick coons on good nights a hot nose dog can do it faster. But when there's a 6 in snow and no one else treed anything that night, my old Smokey River dogs did. When it was -10 and the trappers had a dry run that night, my old blue dog cold trailed for an hour before falling treed with a coon up amongst a bunch of roosted turkeys. Here where I hunt coon tracks are scarce and it isn't like you can tree a coon every 100 yards. We have a lot of territory in these Ozark hills that these coons can hide in so even though it's better now than it was back during the fur boom it still takes a dog willing to take the first track it finds and work it out till the end in order to tree coons consistently.

Old Post 03-16-2024 10:11 PM
MOcoondogs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MOcoondogs Click here to Send MOcoondogs a Private Message Click Here to Email MOcoondogs Find more posts by MOcoondogs Add MOcoondogs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

quote:
your as young as you feel.think positive get a pup and keep hunting,it will keep you young and fit.lol

Old Post 03-17-2024 02:25 AM
buff1978 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buff1978 Click here to Send buff1978 a Private Message Find more posts by buff1978 Add buff1978 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buff1978
UKC Forum Member

quote:
your as young as you feel.think positive get a pup and keep hunting,it will keep you young and fit.lol

Old Post 03-17-2024 02:25 AM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

outstanding trackdogs

How many of the people that you regularly hunt with would you takes opinion on and drive 1000 miles to investigate?
How many hunts have you been on with others when your post hunt analysis didnt match the others?
When a cold nosed dog opens the thought of never treeing it should NEVER come to your mind.
A slick tree is an unfinished track.

Old Post 03-17-2024 09:40 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: outstanding trackdogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
How many of the people that you regularly hunt with would you takes opinion on and drive 1000 miles to investigate?
How many hunts have you been on with others when your post hunt analysis didnt match the others?
When a cold nosed dog opens the thought of never treeing it should NEVER come to your mind.
A slick tree is an unfinished track.

Ken, I agree 100 percent a slick tree is just a unfinished track. I do not tolerate a slick treeing dog period. I hunt in steep mountains and refuse to hunt a dog that pull up short. Definitely not saying that they never miss, but it better be rare. I have followed you for several years, enough to know that you pack the better class of dogs, dogs that would suit me. Dave

Old Post 03-19-2024 12:25 PM
Kler Kry
UKC Forum Member

outstanding trackdogs

What I was trying to say, Is that of the hundreds of hunters that I've hunted with I've that I've got more fingers than I know hunters that give analysis of a hound that I would agree with. Not saying that I'm right, but the best dog that most call a great dog is just a nice dog in my opinion.
Ken Risley
Thanks for your complement

Old Post 03-19-2024 02:32 PM
Kler Kry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kler Kry Click here to Send Kler Kry a Private Message Click Here to Email Kler Kry Find more posts by Kler Kry Add Kler Kry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Re: outstanding trackdogs

quote:
Originally posted by Kler Kry
What I was trying to say, Is that of the hundreds of hunters that I've hunted with I've that I've got more fingers than I know hunters that give analysis of a hound that I would agree with. Not saying that I'm right, but the best dog that most call a great dog is just a nice dog in my opinion.
Ken Risley
Thanks for your complement

Ken, you are correct at least in my opinion. I have hunted with many owners and dogs over the years and find your opinion to be correct. I have only known a few hunters that even knew what a real coon dog was or whose opinion I valued. I have been fortunate to have owned 3 to 4 top coon dogs, but they spoiled me. There are very few dogs that are actually top coon dogs in my opinion. Several good dogs and a bunch of just average coon dogs. I definitely respect your opinion on a top coon dog. Dave

Old Post 03-19-2024 04:12 PM