UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > I would like to ?
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
yadkintar
Banned

Here is anouther variable dog gets struck and is struggling with a track and shuts up next time you hear him he is a 800 yards deeper and rolling hot goes about 300 yards and trees and has the coon. The guy says boy my dog did a good job on that coon I said which one the first or second one ? I hurt his feelers lol.

So what percent would y’all give that dog ?

Tar

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-17-2020 08:33 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Vic Stoll

I have found out that the really accurate coon dogs tree very few dens as opposed to digs that miss a lot. Now I accept the fact that you are going to tree some dens, but not a lot. We tree very few dens and actually find over half the coons that tree in a den. You will see that a accurate dog does not tree a bunch of dens, a lot of dens are just slick trees especially this time of year where rutting coons check dens and move on looking for mates. I do not buy the only tree dens this time of year, not with an accurate dog. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 08:37 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

I think some on here are misinterpreting my comments. I do not and will not put up with a slick treeing dog
On a good night when cppn are down and moving there's no reason to be missing. It's on the nights that the cards are all stacked against you he has to gamble to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat that other dogs don't know exist . The difference is a coondog or coontreer

A MVP runningback doesn't have positive yardage everytime
He will have runs of no gain, loss, and even fumbles, but he's always shooting for the endzone.end zone.

Old Post 01-17-2020 09:06 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard

I get your point, but here's my take on accuracy, a real accurate dog that knows when the coon is there at least what I have witnessed. Example, the most accurate dog I have even owned or hunted with would not even pull s bark up a slick tree no matter how many digs were treeing or how hard they were treeing. She would go out trailing and tree the coon, she was a fast tree dog and you could tree her on her locate. I have seen other dogs locate, get down and circle the tree before coming back and treeing that still missed, she just did not miss. Accurate digs have both nose and brain power. We are hunting one now that will tree a coon here and when you shoot that coon will drop 100 yards and fall treed on another if it's there, he just knows where those coons are. All the truly accurate dogs I have hunted had uncanny ability to tree coons other dogs did not know existed and paid no attention to dogs treeing slick. Dave

Old Post 01-17-2020 09:51 PM
Dave Richards is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

Re: Vic Stoll

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
I have found out that the really accurate coon dogs tree very few dens as opposed to digs that miss a lot. Now I accept the fact that you are going to tree some dens, but not a lot. We tree very few dens and actually find over half the coons that tree in a den. You will see that a accurate dog does not tree a bunch of dens, a lot of dens are just slick trees especially this time of year where rutting coons check dens and move on looking for mates. I do not buy the only tree dens this time of year, not with an accurate dog. Dave

X2

Old Post 01-17-2020 10:57 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]Here is anouther variable dog gets struck and is struggling with a track and shuts up next time you hear him he is a 800 yards deeper and rolling hot goes about 300 yards and trees and has the coon. The guy says boy my dog did a good job on that coon I said which one the first or second one ? I hurt his feelers lol.

So what percent would y’all give that dog ?

I'd say he may not be the best trail dog if he couldn't work it out but for me, if he can't figure it out I'm ok with him leaving the track to find one he can run. Not super proud of him but at least I'm not a mile in the woods staring at empty limbs. I'd have to claim he's smart enough to know he's not great haha but at least he's honest

Old Post 01-17-2020 11:03 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Dave, I also have owned and seen that kind of dog. That's what I call brains and independence to think for their self
Willing to go the extra distance to try to be right he gambled that he was right that takes a dog with extra

Old Post 01-17-2020 11:32 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Edinger

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Edinger
Your scenario has a track going away from the tree mine did not.
Yes yours does. Your dog just didn't know it.

Old Post 01-17-2020 11:34 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Dave,
I think we like the same type of dog just look at it at different angles.

Old Post 01-17-2020 11:36 PM
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mr Edinger

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
Yes yours does. Your dog just didn't know it.

New year's eve I had a dog leave a tree with a coon in it to tree the second .. He not eating my feed anymore.

Old Post 01-17-2020 11:42 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Richard

You are correct, we both love a real coon dog. Dave

Old Post 01-18-2020 12:38 AM
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

Re: Richard

quote:
I get your point, but here's my take on accuracy, a real accurate dog that knows when the coon is there at least what I have witnessed. Example, the most accurate dog I have even owned or hunted with would not even pull s bark up a slick tree no matter how many digs were treeing or how hard they were treeing. She would go out trailing and tree the coon, she was a fast tree dog and you could tree her on her locate. I have seen other dogs locate, get down and circle the tree before coming back and treeing that still missed, she just did not miss. Accurate digs have both nose and brain power. We are hunting one now that will tree a coon here and when you shoot that coon will drop 100 yards and fall treed on another if it's there, he just knows where those coons are. All the truly accurate dogs I have hunted had uncanny ability to tree coons other dogs did not know existed and paid no attention to dogs treeing slick. Dave
interesting statement you made. The most accurate dog you ever owned wouldn't make a bark on a slick and you could tree her on her locate. I to have seen this with the best dog I ever hunted with.
The worst slick treeing dogs I have seen locate on way to many tree's.

Old Post 01-18-2020 02:18 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
just my opinion but a dog that trees a lot of dens are treeing squirrels.

Old Post 01-18-2020 02:21 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Pamjohnson

I tend to agree regarding dens, maybe not squirrel all the time, but certainly some if the time. It's the rutting coons that mess a lot of scent driven dogs to tree a lot of dens. I believe the real accurate dogs with brains just won't pull up on light scent, they kind of know when it's there or not. Even some dogs that know better will back a slick treeing dog sort of like a bird dog backing another dogs point. Now the really accurate dog will not tree with old slick, but go on and tree the correct tree with the coon. Accuracy is born not man made in a dog, now you can correct old slick and put him to looking for where the coon went and he may tree the coon right, but will never be a real accurate dog on his own. A naturally accurate dog does not need help in locating the correct tree. Man can help, but never really make those truly accurate dogs, it's just natural. Dave

Old Post 01-18-2020 02:43 AM
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: Pamjohnson

quote:
I tend to agree regarding dens, maybe not squirrel all the time, but certainly some if the time. It's the rutting coons that mess a lot of scent driven dogs to tree a lot of dens. I believe the real accurate dogs with brains just won't pull up on light scent, they kind of know when it's there or not. Even some dogs that know better will back a slick treeing dog sort of like a bird dog backing another dogs point. Now the really accurate dog will not tree with old slick, but go on and tree the correct tree with the coon. Accuracy is born not man made in a dog, now you can correct old slick and put him to looking for where the coon went and he may tree the coon right, but will never be a real accurate dog on his own. A naturally accurate dog does not need help in locating the correct tree. Man can help, but never really make those truly accurate dogs, it's just natural. Dave

Dave, you never answered my question, what is an acceptable percentage of den trees?

I’ve come to find I must be bad luck. I’ve hunted with dogs over the years that are said to be 90% plus accurate, only to watch them make slicks or dens as well as tree coon. I guess they have coon on the outside a lot more if I’m not hunting with them to maintain that 90%?

I’ve not been at it as long as some, only since 1979. Sure doesn’t make me any kind of expert, but I’ve yet to see any 90% accurate dog using coon seen/coon not seen percentages. Folks counting dens as a coon seen pretty much discounts any accuracy claims I hear.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:52 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Cheyenne remembers the days of toting an axe to get coons out of those dens back when hides were high. No one went to chopping thinking it may be in there or maybe not.
As Dalton stated there are dogs that may have a coon and dogs that have coons - the latter may miss occasionally but even in dens will be just as likely to have them as a tree you can shine.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-18-2020 05:03 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Vic Stoll

I will give you my take on den trees, based on what I have experienced with 4 dogs that I called a COON DOG. Maybe 2 to 3 dens in a month of hunting 5 to six nights a week, rarely treeing a den tree. The more ACCURATE the dog the less dens you will tree. When other local hunters are complaining about all the dens they are treeing and my hunting partner and myself are treeing few dens, hunting in the same weather conditions and same hunting areas, treeing coons on the outside every night, I know it's the dogs accuracy that makes the difference. If you are making a lot of dens every night, you need to look at what's on the end of your chain. I used to hear from other hunters in my area that would tell me how lucky I was treeing coons every night, I told them Luck has nothing to do with it, it's dog power. By the way, we were taking the coons we caught to another local hunter as he was skinning the coons, so he kept all of the hunters aware of how many coons we were catching on nights they were not getting a coon. I can feed a good dog as cheap as a plug. Lol. Dave

Old Post 01-18-2020 05:05 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Boy we better hope all you 90% accurate boys don’t show up at the tournament of champions. Us ametures won’t stand a chance.

To poor to buy one to big a dummy to train one !!!

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 12:45 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Boy we better hope all you 90% accurate boys don’t show up at the tournament of champions. Us ametures won’t stand a chance.

Tar

I might be there. But I don't think I have a dog that fits in that 90% category.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:29 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
I might be there. But I don't think I have a dog that fits in that 90% category.

I seen some pretty gooderns go seen um have a good night even a good week but no dog is that way every night for their whole life. Especially here in this mess I hunt in. Now them little 5 acre patches or a hot nosed pop up dog might have a better average but an open trailing take their coons as they come to them dog is going to have bad nights. But if you hunt alone or just with one buddy it’s your story to tell lol.

Tar

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:38 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar

Tar

Hopefully it'll be held early enough to beat the leaves and accuracy will be more important

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:48 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I will give you my take on den trees, based on what I have experienced with 4 dogs that I called a COON DOG. Maybe 2 to 3 dens in a month of hunting 5 to six nights a week, rarely treeing a den tree. The more ACCURATE the dog the less dens you will tree. When other local hunters are complaining about all the dens they are treeing and my hunting partner and myself are treeing few dens, hunting in the same weather conditions and same hunting areas, treeing coons on the outside every night, I know it's the dogs accuracy that makes the difference. If you are making a lot of dens every night, you need to look at what's on the end of your chain. I used to hear from other hunters in my area that would tell me how lucky I was treeing coons every night, I told them Luck has nothing to do with it, it's dog power. By the way, we were taking the coons we caught to another local hunter as he was skinning the coons, so he kept all of the hunters aware of how many coons we were catching on nights they were not getting a coon. I can feed a good dog as cheap as a plug. Lol. Dave

Dave, you still never answered my question, what is an acceptable percentage of den trees?

I guess I’ll take a stab at it myself from your last post?

5 nights a week, two trees per night in those thin coon mountains. That’s 40 trees per month, 3 of them being dens. That would be 7.5% dens.

As far as the rest of your post, you’re preaching to the choir. I’ve been fortunate enough to have been able to hunt with a few on a regular basis over the years that were what I considered freaks. Nights when the common dogs were struggling they just seemed to have another good night. Even those dogs den tree percentage would go up some from that mid-late December to when the rut kicked in time frame. Although I never kept track, I would guess their annual den tree percentage was in the 10-15% range.

Years back I used to do some friendly bantering back and forth on accuracy percentage with a gent from Oklahoma named Tom Jones. As a result of those many conversations, we came to the conclusion.that geographical area may be a factor in determining accuracy percentages relative to den trees.

One thing is for sure, the “accuracy” horse will never be whittled down to small enough pieces ..... always good for conversation

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Last edited by Vic Stoll on 01-18-2020 at 04:34 PM

Old Post 01-18-2020 04:31 PM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Vic Stoll

Lol. My percentage of dens that's acceptable would definitely be less than 10 percent over the entire season, more like 5 percent. I know from experience that the better the dog, the less dens you will tree. Now your comment about different parts of the country having more issues with dens may be spot on. I don't think there is any way we can fairly judge dogs hunting in extreme conditions with the same measuring stick. What's fair is comparing the results produced in your area against the dogs hunting in the same area every night. My thoughts are that you already know these things, there just isn't a one fits all formula for the entire country on what's acceptable for everyone. If my buddies hunt 6 nights this week and tree 29 coons on the outside and only 1 den tree, my dogs hunting the same 6 nights better not tree 6 coons and 20 den trees. Lol. Dave. P.s. I think you would be fun to hunt with.

Old Post 01-18-2020 09:24 PM
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I think I have a different opinion on how a dog locates a tree than most people. Most think a dog smells where he went up and can't find a track leaving, so the coon is there. I don't think that. I think dogs tree on body scent. They smell the coon in the tree and know he's there. Now comes the problem. If a coon sleeps in a tree all day there's going to be plenty residual scent there. Just like if he's been eating acorns for a couple of hours. The same with den trees. The accurate dogs know the difference in body scent and residual scent.

Old Post 01-19-2020 12:14 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald Bergeron

I agree, the accurate dogs know the difference, the better nose with brains is what separates the truly great dogs from the run if the mill. Dave

Old Post 01-19-2020 12:22 AM