UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need advice
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Need advice

I have 3 children that love getting out at night and hunting and I’d love to keep them interested. My problem is that I have a young leopard that just hasn’t made it yet and we go a lot of nights and don’t tree. I was planning on a puppy that we could train together, but I’m afraid they’ll eventually lose interest if we aren’t treeing coons fairly often. I don’t really like the idea of buying a dog that someone else has trained, but I think that’s about where I’m at. I’m also nervous about getting screwed. I’ve only comp hunted once in my life and have no interest in it. I just want a dog that’ll range out and hunt. We have a lot of land that we can hunt and I’m tired of walking this dog that I’ve got. Gimme some ideas......also, what would a reasonable price be for a good, started dog if that is the route that I go?

Last edited by Thrash on 12-28-2019 at 12:33 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-28-2019 11:36 AM
Thrash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thrash Click here to Send Thrash a Private Message Click Here to Email Thrash Find more posts by Thrash Add Thrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nick B
UKC Forum Member

I think you answered your question

I’d get a dog that will tree coons already. If someone is interested in selling a dog, hunt with them and that dog a couple times to see what the dog is like before you buy it. I have no clue what one would cost, I’m anxious to see the replies. Remember how frustrating it can be to follow a bad dog and the time required to train/raise a puppy when you look at the price of a good one.

Old Post 12-28-2019 01:01 PM
Nick B is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick B Click here to Send Nick B a Private Message Find more posts by Nick B Add Nick B to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wes Coffman
UKC Forum Member

Buying, starting, and training a pup is more times than not a losing proposition. Many just don’t make it. Many never get hunted enough to reach or see full potential.

Buy a well started (treeing it’s own coon) or a finished dog. Absolutely go try it and do not take someone’s word for what it’s doing.

Old Post 12-28-2019 01:03 PM
Wes Coffman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wes Coffman Click here to Send Wes Coffman a Private Message Click Here to Email Wes Coffman Find more posts by Wes Coffman Add Wes Coffman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks Randi and here’s more of the info you mentioned. We have a large place to hunt and plenty of coons. I can ride most everywhere on a side x side and get within 1/4 mile of a treed dog. Kids are 5,7 and 11 so long walks are 2 per night maybe, but with our roads it’s not really an issue. I really want one that will go as far as necessary to find a coon. Some nights this might still be boring for the kids, but I believe most nights we could tree a few at least. Thanks Nick and Wes for your responses as well.

Old Post 12-28-2019 02:11 PM
Thrash is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Thrash Click here to Send Thrash a Private Message Click Here to Email Thrash Find more posts by Thrash Add Thrash to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AndyMiller
UKC Forum Member

Re: Need advice

quote:
Originally posted by Thrash
I have 3 children that love getting out at night and hunting and I’d love to keep them interested. My problem is that I have a young leopard that just hasn’t made it yet and we go a lot of nights and don’t tree. I was planning on a puppy that we could train together, but I’m afraid they’ll eventually lose interest if we aren’t treeing coons fairly often. I don’t really like the idea of buying a dog that someone else has trained, but I think that’s about where I’m at. I’m also nervous about getting screwed. I’ve only comp hunted once in my life and have no interest in it. I just want a dog that’ll range out and hunt. We have a lot of land that we can hunt and I’m tired of walking this dog that I’ve got. Gimme some ideas......also, what would a reasonable price be for a good, started dog if that is the route that I go?

IF YOU DONT HAVE A DECENT DOG THAT RUINS EVERYTHING FOR YOUR KIDS GET ONE THAT TREES COON

Old Post 12-28-2019 03:17 PM
AndyMiller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AndyMiller Click here to Send AndyMiller a Private Message Click Here to Email AndyMiller Find more posts by AndyMiller Add AndyMiller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richardfish
UKC Forum Member

Thrash

Congratulations on having three young hunting partners. That is priceless. Scout around for a solid ole cooner that someone is not hunting much because it has slowed a little or has been replaced by a faster young dog. If you show up to try a dog with three earnest young partners in tow, you might be pleasantly surprised at how the asking price could be adjusted to fit your budget. Good luck.
An older dog that they can handle themselves should keep the fire burning.

Old Post 12-28-2019 05:30 PM
richardfish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richardfish Click here to Send richardfish a Private Message Click Here to Email richardfish Find more posts by richardfish Add richardfish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thrash I would recommend finding someone around that is a seasoned coon hunter and has a reputation for being upfront and honest. Yes they are out there. Plenty of guys will just take your money but there are some knowledgeable men who will do their best to help you find an older solid coon dog which is what you need now. There are just too many ups and downs with training a pup for young kids to stay interested, at least most of the time. It seldom happens like in Red Fern. Shoot sometimes I get discouraged with my dogs that tree coon and I have been at this 60 years.

Old Post 12-28-2019 06:20 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bearhunter747
UKC Forum Member

Buy a good dog

BUY IT UNDER A TREE... WITH A COON IN IT!

Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid! (John Wayne)

Old Post 12-28-2019 08:12 PM
bearhunter747 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bearhunter747 Click here to Send bearhunter747 a Private Message Find more posts by bearhunter747 Add bearhunter747 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Re: Thrash

quote:
Originally posted by richardfish
Congratulations on having three young hunting partners. That is priceless. Scout around for a solid ole cooner that someone is not hunting much because it has slowed a little or has been replaced by a faster young dog. If you show up to try a dog with three earnest young partners in tow, you might be pleasantly surprised at how the asking price could be adjusted to fit your budget. Good luck.
An older dog that they can handle themselves should keep the fire burning.

Hopefully...you will find that coon dog that will make coon hunters for years to come out of those kids...for some dog men and women it is not about the money...if they don’t need the dog that you need they will adjust the price so you can own it...especially if kids are involved...so good luck in getting that special phone call...🙏🏼

Old Post 12-28-2019 08:13 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks again for the feedback. Y’all are confirming my gut feeling. I had told a well known coon man that I would send a deposit for a pup before I thought this all the way out. I am going to have to call him and work that out because I’m not gonna leave him hanging. Anybody wanna give me thoughts on what I need to be willing to pay for a good started and the a finished dog? Are we talking $1,800 and $4k??

Old Post 12-28-2019 08:29 PM
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Price is hard to pin down. A friend once asked me what the main difference in a $500 dog and a $2500 dog was. He said the main difference was $2000. That is true more than one would think. But If you're willing to take a 7-8 year old dog I think $1800 ought to find you a pretty good one. Remember at this stage you probably don't care a whole lot if it tree's an occasional possum or if maybe the mouth is not as good.

Old Post 12-28-2019 08:34 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

You are correct preacher. I would like one a little younger, but I am fine with it treeing anything that climbs a tree!! One of my side motives is controlling nest predators. I’m most addicted to turkey hunting. I guess if I did happen upon an older dog I could go ahead and get a pup to fool with on the side???

Old Post 12-28-2019 08:37 PM
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

Just remember one thing that has already been said, try before you buy. You should have no problem getting what your after, just make sure you see it in the woods before shelling out your money. Also, try it with other dogs as well. Good luck

Old Post 12-29-2019 01:18 AM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black And Tan Man
UKC Forum Member

Just remember one thing that has already been said, try before you buy. You should have no problem getting what your after, just make sure you see it in the woods before shelling out your money. Also, try it with other dogs as well. Good luck

Old Post 12-29-2019 01:18 AM
Black And Tan Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black And Tan Man Click here to Send Black And Tan Man a Private Message Click Here to Email Black And Tan Man Find more posts by Black And Tan Man Add Black And Tan Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
critter
UKC Forum Member

Thrash,where are you located.I may be able to help you out.

Old Post 12-29-2019 05:03 PM
critter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for critter Click here to Send critter a Private Message Click Here to Email critter Find more posts by critter Add critter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Critter, I am located in Central MS.

Old Post 12-29-2019 05:11 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thrash

I have an older Walker female that's a decent coon dog, she hunts good with another dog, but does not hunt real good by herself. If you can not find yourself a dog, I would give het to you FREE. Getting her to Mississippi would be at your expense. She is a decent coon dog just old and out of shape. Dave

Old Post 12-30-2019 02:24 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Mighty fine offer Mr. Dave. I’m talking to a few folks, so we’ll see what turns up. I’d love to find one that’ll go alone. My Leopard doesn’t go well, so I need at least one that’ll range out and hunt, but I really appreciate your generosity!!

Old Post 12-30-2019 02:43 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Dog

She does not care if it's a pup with her, she will hunt decent with another dog, walk hunt by herself. Hope you find one. Dave

Old Post 12-30-2019 02:50 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

A DOG PRICED AT 4 K THAT WOULD GIVE YOU YEARS OF ENJOYMENT WOULD BE DIRT CHEAP ,

Old Post 12-30-2019 02:53 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

I got him...question Is like one guy said....how far can y’all walk? Cause he is gonna go hunting and he will clean out ALL critters and a joy to hear as well. No kid wants to hear crickets...they wanna hear the race!!

Old Post 12-30-2019 03:14 AM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Thrash,

If I were you I'd give serious consideration to Dave Richards offer. You should be able to get a hauler to bring her to your door for $300 or perhaps less depending on circumstances from TN. i believe Mr. Richards is reputable man and will tell you in more detail what this dog is if you called him.

Good luck!

Old Post 12-30-2019 03:26 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richardfish
UKC Forum Member

Thrash: I don't know either yourself or Mr Richards, but his female sounds like the type of dog that I was talking about and it sounds like he openly has your best interest in mind.

Old Post 12-30-2019 04:01 AM
richardfish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for richardfish Click here to Send richardfish a Private Message Click Here to Email richardfish Find more posts by richardfish Add richardfish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Guys

She is a decent dog that I am not hunting, but she has a good home. I gave a coon dog price for her some years ago and have gotten some good times from her. I am a sucker for children that's why I offered. I hope he can find s younger dog that suits him. Dave

Old Post 12-30-2019 04:17 AM
Thrash
New UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the advice guys.....I definitely appreciate it!!! Mr. Richards has definitely gone above and beyond and it is much appreciated!!

Old Post 12-30-2019 10:57 AM