UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > cant smell coon crossing the road
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ruttinbuck
UKC Forum Member

cant smell coon crossing the road

I've seen it happen more than once, years ago . Coon crosses the road in front of the truck . Drop a dog or 2 on him and they cant do anything with it at all. Once the landowner pulled up when we stopped. Needless to say we didn't impress him. Seen the same thing with beagles after shooting at and missing rabbits What causes it ?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-18-2020 03:20 AM
ruttinbuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ruttinbuck Click here to Send ruttinbuck a Private Message Click Here to Email ruttinbuck Find more posts by ruttinbuck Add ruttinbuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jmyers8
UKC Forum Member

With beagles and missing the rabbit I was always the scent of the lead and gun powder would mess the dog up till they got past the point seem like it would slow are beagles down at that point for an extra minute but never enough to make them lose it...

For coons crossing the road I know you have to give enough time for scent to lift off the ground otherwise there is basically nothing there for a dog to run. AMD a coon seen crossing seldom trees quick I wont turn out on them

Old Post 01-18-2020 11:35 AM
Jmyers8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jmyers8 Click here to Send Jmyers8 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jmyers8 Find more posts by Jmyers8 Add Jmyers8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I don’t know but have seen it a bunch. Kinda like when they open when you’re rigging but can’t smell it on the ground. Sometimes they will run the backtrack on a road crossing coon too. At least mine have but I know no one on here would ever have one that does any of the above. lol

Old Post 01-18-2020 11:40 AM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Philip
UKC Forum Member

I learned, if i keep driving, then go back, ends out a lot better. Lol

Old Post 01-18-2020 01:50 PM
Philip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Philip Click here to Send Philip a Private Message Click Here to Email Philip Visit Philip's homepage! Find more posts by Philip Add Philip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

Re: cant smell coon crossing the road

quote:
Originally posted by ruttinbuck
I've seen it happen more than once, years ago . Coon crosses the road in front of the truck . Drop a dog or 2 on him and they cant do anything with it at all. Once the landowner pulled up when we stopped. Needless to say we didn't impress him. Seen the same thing with beagles after shooting at and missing rabbits What causes it ?

Sent is too Hot

Old Post 01-18-2020 05:25 PM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

How many of you ever shook a coon out and the dogs had to get out from under tree a ways to pick it up?

Old Post 01-18-2020 08:38 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cotton 1927
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shadinc
How many of you ever shook a coon out and the dogs had to get out from under tree a ways to pick it up?
Guilty!

Old Post 01-18-2020 09:05 PM
Cotton 1927 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cotton 1927 Click here to Send Cotton 1927 a Private Message Click Here to Email Cotton 1927 Find more posts by Cotton 1927 Add Cotton 1927 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amoskaspar
UKC Forum Member

i once dropped a dog on a road coon like that and she trailed a little without opening and never treed it. i wasnt too pleased with her then i learned that thats just the way it is

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:24 AM
amoskaspar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amoskaspar Click here to Send amoskaspar a Private Message Find more posts by amoskaspar Add amoskaspar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amoskaspar
UKC Forum Member

i once dropped a dog on a road coon like that and she trailed a little without opening and never treed it. i wasnt too pleased with her then i learned that thats just the way it is

Old Post 01-19-2020 01:24 AM
amoskaspar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amoskaspar Click here to Send amoskaspar a Private Message Find more posts by amoskaspar Add amoskaspar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DOUG CHEEK
UKC Forum Member

half the time the dog will run the coon backwards for a short way

just drive down the road and come back and turn the dog loose on the side of the road the way the coon was traveling U will have better results

ALWAYS GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

Old Post 01-19-2020 08:53 PM
DOUG CHEEK is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DOUG CHEEK Click here to Send DOUG CHEEK a Private Message Click Here to Email DOUG CHEEK Find more posts by DOUG CHEEK Add DOUG CHEEK to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I don't know why it is but if you just go on and come back 10-15 min later they can run them.

Old Post 01-19-2020 09:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

It has to do with the scent not rising from the ground. And I agree if you give it a few minutes the dog(s) can run it then and they tend not to look goofy.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-19-2020 11:59 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clovis A Nailor
UKC Forum Member

I've turned deer dogs out on a deer that crossed the road and nothing. You got to wait till the scent settles.

Old Post 01-20-2020 12:25 AM
Clovis A Nailor is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clovis A Nailor Click here to Send Clovis A Nailor a Private Message Click Here to Email Clovis A Nailor Find more posts by Clovis A Nailor Add Clovis A Nailor to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Imagine it from the dogs perspective. One minute you are just driving along, then bang and slam on the brakes, get pulled out by your collar, lights blinding you and thrown in to the ditch, usually no where near where the coon crossed. Not only are you a little out of sorts but all you can smell is the inside of the box.
Try this next time, stop, get the dog out and let him set for a couple minutes, clean his nose out, if he's a coondog he'll get it done.

Old Post 01-20-2020 12:41 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JasperBlue18
UKC Forum Member

Maybe I’ve just been lucky but my hound rides shotgun and he’s always been able to run a hot Coon that crossed the road

Old Post 01-20-2020 03:36 PM
JasperBlue18 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JasperBlue18 Click here to Send JasperBlue18 a Private Message Find more posts by JasperBlue18 Add JasperBlue18 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Truth
UKC Forum Member

Over the years

I was told by old coonhunters that they all experience this phenomenal holding of the animals scent and it takes 5 to 10 minutes for a scent to show up for the dogs. When they are frightened some times the hold their scent. Just like a deer releases its scent when it dies. If you ever noticed that strong pungent smell of deer.

Old Post 01-21-2020 03:38 AM
Truth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Truth Click here to Send Truth a Private Message Find more posts by Truth Add Truth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Over the years

quote:
Originally posted by Truth
I was told by old coonhunters that they all experience this phenomenal holding of the animals scent and it takes 5 to 10 minutes for a scent to show up for the dogs. When they are frightened some times the hold their scent. Just like a deer releases its scent when it dies. If you ever noticed that strong pungent smell of deer.

Did they also tell you about Bigfoot, Chupacabra and aliens?

Old Post 01-21-2020 11:24 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm guessing most of you never heard of Obe Corey. He was a professional lion hunter from Idaho. He wrote articles in Full Cry every month about 40 years ago. He said he had dogs that could take a 7 day old lion track, trail it up and tree the lion. But if they were running one hot and crossed a road, they had trouble picking up the track. He had theories about lions holding scent or their scent changing when crossing openings, but never really knew the reason.

Old Post 01-21-2020 04:59 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Donald

I remember ObeCorey very well, always enjoyed his articles. I have witnessed many times beagles making loses on rabbit tracks crossing or running the roads, as well as dogs not smelling hot coon tracks crossing roads. Don't exactly know why, but roads just mess up a dogs tracking ability, once they leave the road the digs have no problem tracking. Dave

Old Post 01-21-2020 07:22 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Trueblood85
UKC Forum Member

If the theory of having to wait for the scent to rise was right, every time the dog started getting close to the coon he'd lose it because the scent was "too hot"?????? I'm not understanding the logic on that one.

Other theory of: coon holding his scent???? If he could do that, why would he ever leave it behind??

The idea of a nose full of dog box sounds very possible, but there's not much that's more discouraging than putting a dog on that road coon and getting nothing.

Last edited by Trueblood85 on 01-22-2020 at 02:23 AM

Old Post 01-21-2020 11:33 PM
Trueblood85 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Trueblood85 Click here to Send Trueblood85 a Private Message Find more posts by Trueblood85 Add Trueblood85 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Clif Owen
UKC Forum Member

You all raise valid points but how do you explain a dog striking one from the truck? I had an old dog that would do that pretty often (I let her ride loose in the bed). If she barked, pull over and let her go. She'd be treed before you could get your light strapped on and you'd see about 90% of them.

Old Post 01-22-2020 01:37 AM
Clif Owen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Clif Owen Click here to Send Clif Owen a Private Message Click Here to Email Clif Owen Find more posts by Clif Owen Add Clif Owen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

I've been thinking off and on about this. I don't seem to have much trouble on dirt roads with coons unless its been bad dry here. But food for thought..... Could it be the different scents from the vehicles on the road? Like oil scent or gas or something along those lines? I've had dogs rig out of the truck before like what has been said, they were treed in very short order usually.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-22-2020 03:45 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote