UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > All Grand Pedigrees?
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Lone Pine JB
UKC Forum Member

some interesting discussion here.

Rob summed it up, there are some really nice all grand and there are some real garbage ones. Some of my all time favorites are all-grand. But I've seen a bunch of duds too. The ones that get retired after making grand or becoming 'too valuable' to hunt is a huge red flag.

I also agree with Tar that there are some characteristics that I've seen in a number that I don't care for.

We jumped on the all-grand bandwagon a number of years ago when it was becoming a big deal. We learned pretty quickly to look past looking for all-grand studs. We got tired of walking to empty trees pretty quick. Went back to looking at coondogs producing coondogs more.

Bruce said it nicely, "I have developed a favoritism for certain bloodlines that I think work well in my area".

I like Travis approach at looking at numbers. But that's dogs that are UKC titled. Current is looking at a whopping 13.7% for males but 42% for females. (#1 Girl at 42% and #5 Quicky at 33%, both are 3 gen all grand) But both got there by being bred to dogs that are on top list but not all grand, Bone and Jiggs. Think all Bone and Jiggs pups alive were titled and made pretty decent hounds

looking at numbers is a tool. UKC #'s, reproducers, PP, and $KC earnings and pup earnings. There are a number of things to consider when looking at breeding. and all-grand is way down the list for me.

Lone Pine North

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-07-2018 04:41 PM
Lone Pine JB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lone Pine JB Click here to Send Lone Pine JB a Private Message Click Here to Email Lone Pine JB Visit Lone Pine JB's homepage! Find more posts by Lone Pine JB Add Lone Pine JB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
3 things you must have for your all grand pup.1 a bark collar to keep you sanity.2 a good vet on call to treat thyroid problems .3 a keen switch in your hand at 5 out of ten trees made when the leaves fall off the trees to send them on with. .lol

Nice how you just lump all dogs together. Ours have never had to wear a bark collar, if they have a thyriod issue it hasn't showed up yet or any other major health issue and slick trees have never been an issue.
I believe with your animosity toward Walkers after loosing your hounds you have a very sour taste and may need to switch to hunting small mixed breed curs.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-07-2018 04:42 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Nice how you just lump all dogs together. Ours have never had to wear a bark collar, if they have a thyriod issue it hasn't showed up yet or any other major health issue and slick trees have never been an issue.
I believe with your animosity toward Walkers after loosing your hounds you have a very sour taste and may need to switch to hunting small mixed breed curs.

LOL😅

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 08-07-2018 05:55 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ItsOlMander
UKC Forum Member

just my two cents... i'm no big time pro comp hunter by any means...

to me, all grand pedigrees are to be taken with a grain of salt. at a glance it shows the bloodline of the dog is more apt to competition hunting, and has won doing so. seeing as how that could mean a multitude of hunting styles that range from babbling slick treeing morons to million dollar classy coondogs i think you would be better off researching the bloodlines of the dogs and what they pass on rather than solely going off "all grand" on the pedigree.

i would think in a perfect world, it would give you a better chance of a competition type dog- which may be a down right coondog in any company and you just sit back and let him work.... or it may mean you have to pull some slick handling to make him live up to his papers. i think that depends on the luck of the draw, the reproducing ability and what traits are carried in the bloodlines themselves.

- In Loving Memory of -
DEEP SPRINGS BLACK MAX
&
LEVIS SOUTHERN BLUE DOC

Old Post 08-07-2018 10:22 PM
ItsOlMander is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ItsOlMander Click here to Send ItsOlMander a Private Message Find more posts by ItsOlMander Add ItsOlMander to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:

roflmao

Old Post 08-08-2018 03:52 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:

naw i just broke the cycle of genetic defects by raising a litter of x-bred .1/2 walker 1/2 english . most of the walker hounds today are just souped up rat terriers .hot nosed or sight hounds that couldnt trail their way out of a wet paper sack.run by 10 coon to tree one a mile away .lol

Old Post 08-08-2018 11:07 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Except for the one you bred to, right?

Old Post 08-08-2018 01:21 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by JiM

Lmbo!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 08-08-2018 03:20 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Redneck Mafia, all grand pedigree was UKC #1 reproducer when we quit breeding him @ just over 20% on the reproducer list and multiple years a SS reproducer. Total pups only 138 so he will never make the historical list, just over 100 being permanently registered. I know of several that died before being pemanently registered, several others that died of accidents that had wins and some that had a couple of wins and were bought by pleasure hunters and never finished.
Mafia at my last count had 13 GRNITECH and 25 NITECH, a total of 38 titled dogs for a UKC reproducers percentage of 27.34%. There are many like him that will never make a historical list under current standards.

Those are very impressive numbers. I don't think I ever hunted with Mafia but I hunted against his sire in competition and he was a good one. You all have done very well with your line of dogs.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Old Post 08-08-2018 05:32 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
that would be correct jim. i did it by eliminating every dog on the top 10 list except fred from my pedigree . also any litter mates sires and dams . a pedigree with absolutely no stylish harry .wanted rid of sackett jr also but end up with one shot the cross on maple ridge ruby that i can tolerate because she was out of tar rattler x lipper bitch. lol i had a well thought out plan that required lots of looking behind barns and burning the midnight oil with pedigree study jim to quit having to dig those holes in the back yard . found 1 more shot of sackett jr i over looked .jr x tree jamming juile nailors litter mate .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 08-09-2018 at 01:35 PM

Old Post 08-09-2018 10:09 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Thomas now you have me stumped. Not sure if Tar is going to be over joy'ed because of Rattler or going negative on you because of Lipper. Guess, I will just have to wait and see how this plays out. LOL

Guess, I am getting like Richard. I am forgetting about the dogs and fixated on what Tar will think.
Richard, I think Tar has us under his control. He may not do any more free Master of Hounds work but he is moving into mind games. Think we fooled him for once. If he is testing out his work on us. He needs subjects with bigger minds.

Old Post 08-09-2018 11:57 AM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

No Bruce I been doing what you you said although I have raised these dogs I got lipper and rattler about 5 times each bad habit once so in comes Harry way back there. The pup out of granny is out of a dog out of cold sweat and peppermint patty insane Cain on the bottom so you going to say whoa tar those are some of the dogs that throw traits you don't like !! The difference is I hunted with them and I watched the crosses on them that didn't have the bad traits that takes a long time and a lot of phone calls when training dogs for the public or hunting in the hunts I made a mental note what dogs were out of. Bottom line like you said you got to get a dog that works where you live here and I have said it before this stuff is so thick you have to have a track dog that will hunt out this stuff thouroly and be determined to finish what it starts shoot man hides haven't brought anything in over 20yrs any dog should be treeing 5 coons a cast but they ain't there are plenty of coons. Kinda like you get a good possum dog there are possums every 10 yrds you didn't know were they're lol.

No science to it just takes time that's why a lot of old men got top dogs they refuse to hunt chit.

Tar

Old Post 08-09-2018 01:02 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andycanada
UKC Forum Member

?

U guys ever think it maybe the handler not the dogs fault? Yeah remember the days back when certain lines ran all night , yes there were goodan bad. I’ll agre, there is to much tree in certain lines but if u hunt hard enough an correct at the right time u will find good in today’s dogs as well ! I’ve found generally the dog is smarter than it’s handler, not always but today’s dogs don’t require a love mat the tree but still u see guys liven an petted them up .

Poison Magic Ghost
(Grnitech Harry's Finley River Jeb x Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost)

Nitech Poison Houdini Ghost
(Dual Grand All Grand Trackman x Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost)

RIP
Grnitech Poison Spooky Ghost
(Dual Grand Big Creek Rat Tat x Nitech Poison White Ghost)

Old Post 08-09-2018 07:16 PM
andycanada is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andycanada Click here to Send andycanada a Private Message Click Here to Email andycanada Find more posts by andycanada Add andycanada to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
The pup out of granny is out of a dog out of cold sweat and peppermint patty

I raised Patty's mother Maple Slough Moonshine. She was the one direct Rattler pup I told you I had tried. I had two pups out of the same litter shipped up here from Texas in 93. My buddy's didn't turn out but Moon was a nice young dog when I sold her back to Jay in 95. I needed a down payment on my first house lol. I think she shows up in the pedigree of Cheys Mafia dog as well. To this day Moon had one of if not the best locates I've ever heard hit a tree. Tight right and fast.

Old Post 08-10-2018 12:27 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

See Donnie how a dog you trained in the past is a part of what I got today.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2018 01:31 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Yes sir. And you and I both know Moons mother was out of Lipper lol. But I'll admit she carried more traits from Rattler then she did Lipper. As I remember Jay said he lived 30 miles from Delton. Sillsbee, Texas. I've also sent three dogs to a fella in Beaumont over the years. Texas has been good to me lol.

Old Post 08-10-2018 02:05 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
I raised Patty's mother Maple Slough Moonshine. She was the one direct Rattler pup I told you I had tried. I had two pups out of the same litter shipped up here from Texas in 93. My buddy's didn't turn out but Moon was a nice young dog when I sold her back to Jay in 95. I needed a down payment on my first house lol. I think she shows up in the pedigree of Cheys Mafia dog as well. To this day Moon had one of if not the best locates I've ever heard hit a tree. Tight right and fast.

Yes she is in Mafia's pedigree maybe where his locate came from.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 08-10-2018 02:21 AM
yadkintar
Banned

Guys that missing peice of the puzzle was right where I said it was all the time amazing ain't it.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2018 03:57 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
[B m] ..... right where I said it was all the time....Tar [/B]

See, I told y'all that Tarbaby was always right.

If you knew where it was all of the time then it wasn't missing was it?

Old Post 08-10-2018 04:01 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Guys that missing peice of the puzzle was right where I said it was all the time amazing ain't it.

Tar

What's amazing is that you haven't broke your arm patting yourself on the back.

Old Post 08-10-2018 04:28 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

Do you also know where the missing link is?

Old Post 08-10-2018 04:35 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
What's amazing is that you haven't broke your arm patting yourself on the back.

Jim would you like a donut ? You been really grouchy lately lol.

Tar

Old Post 08-10-2018 05:03 PM
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: ?

quote:
Originally posted by andycanada
U guys ever think it maybe the handler not the dogs fault? Yeah remember the days back when certain lines ran all night , yes there were goodan bad. I’ll agre, there is to much tree in certain lines but if u hunt hard enough an correct at the right time u will find good in today’s dogs as well ! I’ve found generally the dog is smarter than it’s handler, not always but today’s dogs don’t require a love mat the tree but still u see guys liven an petted them up .
no amount of training and correcting can over come genetic faults. take a example from bird dogs . a bird dog can not be trained to honor another dog who is pointing . they are culled because they are useless .lol

Last edited by thomasg on 08-27-2018 at 01:53 PM

Old Post 08-27-2018 08:36 AM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Doesn't World Champion Willie have at least a 3 gen all grand pedigree?

Old Post 09-24-2018 12:32 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jerrod douglas
UKC Forum Member

IVE GOT AN ALL GRAND MALE THATS 12 1/2 YEARS OLD THAT WOULD PUT IT ON YOU ANY GIVEN NIGHT. I REMEMBER THE CRITICISM I TOOK FROM HIM BEING ALL GRAND AND OUT OF 2 "UKC" WORLD CHAMPIONS UNTIL I STARTED PUTTING HIM OUT THERE AND ALL THAT SHUT UP QUICK WHEN I STARTED TAKING THEIR MONEY WITH 2 EYES LOOKING DOWN.

INSANE "X" ~ YOU SHOULD HAVE SEEN HIM IN COLOR

SUPER STAKE CHAMPION GRNITECH SERIAL COONER (GRNITECH INSANE "X" / GRNITECH GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY)

GRNITECH CH REBA MC ENTIRE {REEZEN / GRAY'S STYLISH PAIGE} LITTERMATE TO 2018 UKC AND AKC WLDNITECH GRNITECH GRAYS RACK EM WILLY

Old Post 09-24-2018 12:52 AM
jerrod douglas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jerrod douglas Click here to Send jerrod douglas a Private Message Find more posts by jerrod douglas Add jerrod douglas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote