UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Long slow tracks that never end
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

Long slow tracks that never end

In the process of training my first pup, I’ve hunted a lot of hounds but always bought finished dogs. He’s 15 months and has treed his own coon. Lately he’s been working super slow and long tracks that never amount to anything. We’re in prime roasting ear season here and he’s slammed a couple trees if he hits one hot but if he starts one of these trails that’s the end of it because he won’t come off of it. I’m just gonna keep hunting him and see if he comes out of it. I’ve never had him run trash and he’s not moving it fast like a deer but I’ve started to wonder if he’s not trailing deer by scent or something. Anyone had similar things happen or any tips? I’ve had to call him off tracks a couple times because he was on them for over and hour and not heating anything up. Thanks in advance.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-29-2018 10:47 PM
FF5044 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FF5044 Click here to Send FF5044 a Private Message Find more posts by FF5044 Add FF5044 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KevinP
Banned

It's to dry here and unless a dog can really push them, them coon play in the corn all night.

Old Post 07-29-2018 11:14 PM
KevinP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KevinP Click here to Send KevinP a Private Message Find more posts by KevinP Add KevinP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Cornfields can be tuff, especially if your dry like we are. And he may be doing some back tracking. Its not an easy time of year. Imo

Old Post 07-29-2018 11:16 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

It’s been dry here as well, and that very well could be the issue. I’m just new to the training thing and hate to miss something or not correct something and let a bad habit start. Hopefully we get some rain soon and fill the ditches back up.

Old Post 07-29-2018 11:17 PM
FF5044 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FF5044 Click here to Send FF5044 a Private Message Find more posts by FF5044 Add FF5044 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ajsdad
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't be too concerned!! Sounds to me it's just very dry conditions! We're pretty dry here and running hasn't been the greatest. I have beagles as well, tough running here the past couple of months

Old Post 07-29-2018 11:48 PM
ajsdad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ajsdad Click here to Send ajsdad a Private Message Click Here to Email ajsdad Find more posts by ajsdad Add ajsdad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

it has nothing to do with the dry conditions . we look at game in dry conditions all year in the south. lol coons stay out in the corn all day and all night . your dog is fooling with old cold tracks made at noon.blue ticking .lol

Old Post 07-30-2018 01:37 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by thomasg
it has nothing to do with the dry conditions . we look at game in dry conditions all year in the south. lol coons stay out in the corn all day and all night . your dog is fooling with old cold tracks made at noon.blue ticking .lol

Could be old tracks, could be older tracks made tuffer in dry dusty bare dirt. We all tree game in dry conditions but that doesn't mean it doesn't have an negative effect

Old Post 07-30-2018 01:47 AM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
knockemstiffeng
UKC Forum Member

set him up

If you suspect deer turn him on some if he runs them deal with it. Sounds like to me he may be trailing grey fox if he won't run deer trap a grey fox and set him up. Process of elimination. I have had dogs trail a little grey most of the night and never leave the corn field I turned loose in. Can't hurt and at least you will know what he will run and what he won't. Good Luck

Old Post 07-30-2018 03:07 AM
knockemstiffeng is offline Click Here to See the Profile for knockemstiffeng Click here to Send knockemstiffeng a Private Message Click Here to Email knockemstiffeng Find more posts by knockemstiffeng Add knockemstiffeng to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I to would assume trash. At least in my area that would be a strong bet. In my area better than 90 % of all tracks should be treed.

Old Post 07-30-2018 02:08 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

could be bugs bunny .lol

Old Post 07-31-2018 09:25 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

could be bugs bunny .lol

Old Post 07-31-2018 09:25 AM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

If my dog trails a track that doesn't end then I automatically assume that he is trailing something that won't climb a tree. If it is warm enough and not too dry or dusty for him to start it then he should be able to finish it.

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 07-31-2018 at 02:03 PM

Old Post 07-31-2018 01:59 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

Re: Long slow tracks that never end

quote:
Originally posted by FF5044
In the process of training my first pup, I’ve hunted a lot of hounds but always bought finished dogs. He’s 15 months and has treed his own coon. Lately he’s been working super slow and long tracks that never amount to anything. We’re in prime roasting ear season here and he’s slammed a couple trees if he hits one hot but if he starts one of these trails that’s the end of it because he won’t come off of it. I’m just gonna keep hunting him and see if he comes out of it. I’ve never had him run trash and he’s not moving it fast like a deer but I’ve started to wonder if he’s not trailing deer by scent or something. Anyone had similar things happen or any tips? I’ve had to call him off tracks a couple times because he was on them for over and hour and not heating anything up. Thanks in advance.

have you tried sending a more experienced hound in to make him pick it up ? some times hounds are just lazy and wont pick up there head and move on

Ray Hudson

Old Post 07-31-2018 03:42 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Vic Stoll
UKC Forum Member

Re: set him up

quote:
Originally posted by knockemstiffeng
Sounds like to me he may be trailing grey fox if he won't run deer trap a grey fox and set him up. Process of elimination. I have had dogs trail a little grey most of the night and never leave the corn field I turned loose in. Can't hurt and at least you will know what he will run and what he won't. Good Luck

Grey Fox is the first thing to come to mind for me as well.

Gone but not forgotten:
Nt Ch Fanny's Midnite Blue Annie - aka Sodie Pop R.I.P. - I will miss you old girl

Nt Ch Becky’s Midnite Blue Hank - R.I.P. Old Boy, thank you for the memories

Gr Nt Ch S&E's Midnite Lite Blue Snow (Co-Owned with my good friend Harry Eidenier) - We had a blast following you ole girl!

Old Post 08-01-2018 12:42 AM
Vic Stoll is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Vic Stoll Click here to Send Vic Stoll a Private Message Find more posts by Vic Stoll Add Vic Stoll to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

I’d like to hunt him with some finished dogs but haven’t got to yet. It just rained the last 2 night here. I’m about to head out and see if he acts any better. Thanks for the advice.

Old Post 08-01-2018 02:34 AM
K. Singletary
UKC Forum Member

Re: Long slow tracks that never end

quote:
In the process of training my first pup, I’ve hunted a lot of hounds but always bought finished dogs. He’s 15 months and has treed his own coon. Lately he’s been working super slow and long tracks that never amount to anything.

When you say long tracks are you referring to time or distance? How far is he working these tracks?

ChNtCh Allnite Gypsy Girl

Old Post 08-01-2018 02:31 PM
K. Singletary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for K. Singletary Click here to Send K. Singletary a Private Message Click Here to Email K. Singletary Find more posts by K. Singletary Add K. Singletary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FF5044
UKC Forum Member

Time over distance. Couple hundred yards or so. He did take one about 600 yards the other night. He ran one last night for over and hour, kept circling out and ending up back at the same spot. I called him off of it went down the road and treed a coon in 10 minutes.

Old Post 08-01-2018 03:22 PM
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

trailing

quote:
Time over distance. Couple hundred yards or so. He did take one about 600 yards the other night. He ran one last night for over and hour, kept circling out and ending up back at the same spot. I called him off of it went down the road and treed a coon in 10 minutes.

He really sounds like he's just not sure of his self is all ! not trashy I don't think ..

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-01-2018 04:12 PM
Ray&Luie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ray&Luie Click here to Send Ray&Luie a Private Message Find more posts by Ray&Luie Add Ray&Luie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rghnd123
UKC Forum Member

Run him off

Go in and run him off of those type tracks

Old Post 08-01-2018 08:34 PM
rghnd123 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rghnd123 Click here to Send rghnd123 a Private Message Click Here to Email rghnd123 Visit rghnd123's homepage! Find more posts by rghnd123 Add rghnd123 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

I'm no trainer but have hunted for 60 years. The hardest thing to do is to decide when to let a dog figure it out for himself and when to interfere. I am sure that I have set dogs back by tying to help them too much. On thing that I think and this only my opinion but dogs do struggle in dry weather. How many times have you seen a dog strike where there was water but if the track left the water they struggled to move it. Also I have seen when it was really dry but the dogs work coon like it wasn't. So I would tell you to use your own judgement and know that whatever you do it may be right and it may be wrong. My Dad had a ton of patience with a young dog. I used to get upset sometimes that he would keep hunting the same dog even though it wasn't what I thought he needed to spend his time on. Well now I'am older than he was when he died and my thinking has changed a little. Couple years ago I bought a 12 month old dog and made myself a promise that I would hunt him till he was 2 regardless of what he did unless he got mean. Well today I have the best dog I have ever owned. Will he win the big hunts? No but he suits me.

Old Post 08-01-2018 08:46 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Don't generally like to reply on these type post.Here is my 2 cents.

You have a young dog that is running a track with no quit.

This is a great trait. Determination. I hate dogs that start tracks they can't handle then come in looking stupid at you after quitting it.

I believe from what you have wrote this young dog may have a colder nose.So he is going to start tracks he can not finish because he needs to learn how to un ravel the longer colder ones.
Some times these type dogs have to mature and let their brains catch up to their nose.Patience. Sit down and let them work it out.

Kittens are starting to move now.If a track is started that has more than one coon mingling tracks together .Even older experienced dogs have a time deciphering out coons feeding around and may explain the circling around and around.

You may just have a diamond in the rough.All he requires Is patience to let him unravel and learn to drift those tougher ones.It will pay off.
I won't pull a young dog off. I don't want them to learn or think it is okay to quit and come in to you.

Caution though as sometimes in an effort to move a track this type may be prone to back track. With our Garmins we now have it can be caught immediately before becoming a bad habit.

The only way I would guess grey fox.The tracks go several hundred yards with numerous tap trees .The track never warms up but keeps moving generally in a large circular area.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 08-01-2018 at 10:43 PM

Old Post 08-01-2018 10:39 PM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nkuhl
UKC Forum Member

Pup

I would also wonder about fox

Old Post 08-02-2018 01:37 AM
nkuhl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nkuhl Click here to Send nkuhl a Private Message Click Here to Email nkuhl Find more posts by nkuhl Add nkuhl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Just from my experience, rabbits tend to circle between 100-300yards. Grey fox tend to circle 300 yards a bit bigger. He's your dog. But my guess is the tracks he's booticking on is trash of some sort.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 08-02-2018 09:26 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ray&Luie
UKC Forum Member

long track

why does everyone just assume its trash because its long , scratching my head on this one to top it off its in a corn field lol

Ray Hudson

Old Post 08-02-2018 03:00 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

First of all without being there it is almost impossible to make an educated guess. Yes, it is fun to make a guess, but it is just that a guess

Last week, the following is something I witnessed, but it is still impossible to say this is what's happening. This time of year coons often move in the daylight making tracks very old. Last week I was getting ready to turn a young dog loose well after midnight. I could see a coon laid up in a tree about 1/4 mile away along a field edge. The young dog took a long time and ran fairly well until the track entered a rock hard corn field. The corn field must have been planted late. The corn was only knee high. The young dog did finally open the circle up to figure the coon left the field. The track ended up at the tree with the coon I had seen earlier. I was glad she finished the track successfully, but really wasn't pleased how it got done.

The long and short of it is keep the young dog in the woods, and remember it is a young dog.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 08-03-2018 05:45 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote