UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hunt rule question-Camera
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Tbaker
UKC Forum Member

Hunt rule question-Camera

I'm sure this has been addressed already, however, I must have missed it.

All dogs treed, cast arrived-small hole at bottom of tree-you cannot see up in there, handler of dog "A" slides his camera in the hole and takes a picture. litter of coon plainly seen in picture.

How do you score? By the rules can you score this + ?
100 people will say " I would" what do UKC rules say?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 05-22-2014 01:02 PM
Tbaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tbaker Click here to Send Tbaker a Private Message Click Here to Email Tbaker Find more posts by Tbaker Add Tbaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Todd, it's just like a mirror. You can't use it to score the tree either way. You have to actually physically see the coon.

Old Post 05-22-2014 01:17 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Frederick
Todd, it's just like a mirror. You can't use it to score the tree either way. You have to actually physically see the coon.

That is sort of crazy... take a picture see a whole litter of coons... can't use that but we can use the technology of the Garmin to guide in the direction to walk so that we can hear, call and score our dog... hmmmmm thought we were embracing technology now??

Home of:
GRCH GRNITECH 'PR' LB Red Hot Sweat "Rock" HTX (R.I.P ROCK, 1/27/13)
Former Home of PKC CH AKC CGN GRNITECH CH 'PR' Toler's TriColor Taz
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified
2013/2014 AKC World Qualified
2013 WV State AKC Champion
2014 Ohio State AKC Champion
2014 WV State AKC Youth Champion

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY
http://www.etownkennelssupply.com/default.html

Last edited by Tim Toler on 05-22-2014 at 02:21 PM

Old Post 05-22-2014 01:36 PM
Tim Toler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Toler Click here to Send Tim Toler a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Toler Find more posts by Tim Toler Add Tim Toler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

1. Who's to say that picture was taken tonight and not a week ago? I know it's far-fetched but it's a possibility. I'm sure my phone time-stamps each photo but I'm checking it out now and I can't figure out where or how to check it. I shouldn't be expected to know how to check the time-stamp on every different brand of cell phone's pictures to ensure the picture is correct.

2. When scoring trees it has always been UKC's policy that you can use three things: a light, a mechanical coon squaller (notice mechanical), and your eyes. You can use a laser pointer to point out something since technically it is a light, just a very bright, very concentrated one. This means no binoculars, no mirrors, no cell phone pictures of what you claim is the inside of this tree, etc. It's been a policy as long as I've hunted UKC hunts. You can read more about it on pg. 107 of The Advisor in the article "No Smoke, No Mirrors".

Old Post 05-22-2014 01:47 PM
Paul Frederick is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Frederick Click here to Send Paul Frederick a Private Message Click Here to Email Paul Frederick Find more posts by Paul Frederick Add Paul Frederick to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

and as of just a few months ago Garmins wasn't allowed to be carried either... and everyone was saying that we should be allowed to use the "Technology" available.. and so here we are now... as far as the picture being taking that night or not... if every one is standing there when I stuck my phone in the whole (would have to be using the flash since it would be dark so that you could see what is in the picture) and everyone sees the flash go off I would think that we would realize that the picture was just taken.

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 05-22-2014 01:52 PM
Tim Toler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Toler Click here to Send Tim Toler a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Toler Find more posts by Tim Toler Add Tim Toler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

sitting here thinking about technology... now that we can use the garmins and look at them for the whole hunt and so forth... Powers to be should now also consider allowing us to use the apps for hunt timers also...

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 05-22-2014 02:19 PM
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Toler
sitting here thinking about technology... now that we can use the garmins and look at them for the whole hunt and so forth... Powers to be should now also consider allowing us to use the apps for hunt timers also...

You have been able to since January 1, 2014. No one much talks about it because the Telemetry Rule gets all the attention, but it was changed in the most recent rulebook. I think there has been only one thread about it since the policy was changed.

Old Post 05-22-2014 02:47 PM
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

Yes guess you are correct about the topic.. wasn't really aware of that... Thanks for the information...

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 05-22-2014 02:58 PM
Bengie Bengala
UKC Forum Member

You can use it now

GRNTCH PKC CH 'PR' NIGHT N DAYS DOZER HTX

Clear your path to the winner circle, hunt a Dozer pup!

NITE CH 'PR' NIGHT N DAYS DOZER JR (Dozer X Fletchers Stylish Jake female)

Old Post 05-22-2014 03:34 PM
Bengie Bengala is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bengie Bengala Click here to Send Bengie Bengala a Private Message Click Here to Email Bengie Bengala Find more posts by Bengie Bengala Add Bengie Bengala to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

Re: Garmins

quote:
Originally posted by prostockpat
Was told only judge will be carrying a Garmin on casts in the near future {1-2yrs}.Which I feel will be more of a issue;I know I can zoom in on my dog treed and my Garmin will show my dog is moving.Even tho its not!!!

Probably a good idea to nip this one in the butt before it gets too far out of context. For the record, UKC is not involved with working towards any such thing.

Of course there's been talk of such possibilities but that comes from general discussions regarding all the technology available these days. Before you know it, general discussion turns into "it's happening next year"! lol. Probably a stretch.

Old Post 05-22-2014 03:37 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prostockpat
Banned

nice

Thanks

'Pr' Nitech. Stylish Clover Shark Jill
Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch
Queen of hunt TWBFA Walker Sectional.Franklin Co. Coonhunters{Oh.}2013.

Old Post 05-22-2014 03:40 PM
prostockpat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prostockpat Click here to Send prostockpat a Private Message Click Here to Email prostockpat Find more posts by prostockpat Add prostockpat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Garmins

quote:
Originally posted by Allen / UKC
Probably a good idea to nip this one in the butt before it gets too far out of context. For the record, UKC is not involved with working towards any such thing.

Of course there's been talk of such possibilities but that comes from general discussions regarding all the technology available these days. Before you know it, general discussion turns into "it's happening next year"! lol. Probably a stretch.

who knows what technology can bring us in a year or two, heck a car can park it's self and who would of thought two years ago we would be useing gps in hunts.

from what my CI tells me it is not that far off the technology will be there, the ?? is will we use it.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 05-22-2014 03:57 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if something like that did become available at some point. You're right, corn rows a mile long are as straight as arrows and cars are parking themselves these days. Seems logical to think we should be able to hunt and judge dogs in the next ten years without even getting out of the truck! Probably won't even need a dog. Four handlers will sit alongside the woods with their handhelds seeing who can find the most coons in that woods. Dens, squirrel holes and leafy trees will no longer be questioned. Either they will be there or not! Landowners and hunters will be the ones earning degrees and titles! lol.

In all seriousness Skip, that's a question I can't answer.

Old Post 05-22-2014 04:23 PM
Allen / UKC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Allen / UKC Click here to Send Allen / UKC a Private Message Click Here to Email Allen / UKC Find more posts by Allen / UKC Add Allen / UKC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTROTT
UKC Forum Member

Question!

If you can use a "Light" - Does that include an infrared light? A nite vision camera? A thermal imager? They use "Light" to detect what is in front of them!!!!!!!!!!

NtCh ch'pr'Ingram's Smokin' Tony "Smoke" (3 wins toward Grand)(Kansas Junior x Stender's Hawkeye Rose)
'pr' Stone Cold Drifter (Smoke x Ragin Black Little Bit)

James Trott - (256)404-7771

Old Post 05-22-2014 04:47 PM
JTROTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JTROTT Click here to Send JTROTT a Private Message Click Here to Email JTROTT Find more posts by JTROTT Add JTROTT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

Allen i agree we just do not know.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 05-22-2014 04:59 PM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Frederick
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question!

quote:
Originally posted by JTROTT
If you can use a "Light" - Does that include an infrared light? A nite vision camera? A thermal imager? They use "Light" to detect what is in front of them!!!!!!!!!!

They use light, they are not light. Kind of a difference there. UKC has already ruled you can't use any of the above.

On a side note, I always thought a thermal imager would be neat especially when hunting a young dog in the summertime. Then you could check accuracy a little easier. Still, it's not foolproof. Just because a big ball of heat is in the tree does not mean it's a coon. Could be a possum, bird, sasquatch, neighbor kid, etc.

Last edited by Paul Frederick on 05-22-2014 at 05:04 PM

Old Post 05-22-2014 05:01 PM
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

Starting to sound like the beer commercial about the guys playing golf and they just pull up and look at the hole and tell each other that it is a "give me" and count the hole as par... LOL..

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Last edited by Tim Toler on 05-22-2014 at 07:22 PM

Old Post 05-22-2014 05:31 PM
Tbaker
UKC Forum Member

Phone app

I still believe UKC should come up with a scorecard app for smart phones, all clubs to have a computer. Cast comes in and downloads the score card. dogs are placed accordingly and scores and report get emailed to UKC. this would work for bench shows, water races-everything. Just think of the time, paper and such saved. look at all the trees saved by UKC.

Old Post 05-22-2014 06:09 PM
Tbaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tbaker Click here to Send Tbaker a Private Message Click Here to Email Tbaker Find more posts by Tbaker Add Tbaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prostockpat
Banned

Re: Re: Question!

quote:
They use light, they are not light. Kind of a difference there. UKC has already ruled you can't use any of the above.

On a side note, I always thought a thermal imager would be neat especially when hunting a young dog in the summertime. Then you could check accuracy a little easier. Still, it's not foolproof. Just because a big ball of heat is in the tree does not mean it's a coon. Could be a possum, bird, sasquatch, neighbor kid, etc.

I like it.At least you'd have the right area pin pointed to shine.Just the size and cost is what kills that idea...right now.

'Pr' Nitech. Stylish Clover Shark Jill
Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch
Queen of hunt TWBFA Walker Sectional.Franklin Co. Coonhunters{Oh.}2013.

Old Post 05-22-2014 06:27 PM
prostockpat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prostockpat Click here to Send prostockpat a Private Message Click Here to Email prostockpat Find more posts by prostockpat Add prostockpat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
Starting to said like the beer commercial about the guys playing golf and they just pull up and look at the hole and tell each other that it is a "give me" and count the hole as par... LOL..

I take personal offense to your criticism Tim. Gimme's and mulligans are huge when it comes to my accomplishments on the course.

Golfers are a lot like some handlers. They come up with all kinds of excuses when they get beat. Just last weekend I won a carry-over skin and I've not heard the end of it yet. Hey, we all agreed that everyone could use at least one mulligan on the front and the back nine. Sore losers!

Old Post 05-22-2014 07:28 PM
Tim Toler
UKC Forum Member

Allen... with only playing a couple times a year now... the first rule we discuss on the first T Box is a mulligan per nine!!! oh and also winter rules... so you can bump your ball.. LOL.. So I totally understand where you are coming from, but like in everything what you agree to in the beginning of the match/hunt could come back to bite you in the end.. LOL

Home of:
2013 UKC World Qualified
2013 PKC World Qualified

PROUD SUPPORTER OF:
E-TOWN KENNELS & SUPPLY

Old Post 05-22-2014 07:32 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

I spectated on a cast an seen a mulligan used to sill the win, he told the other much younger handlers he bought it a the club, well that part was true just not a coon club..

GrNtCh Big Money
GrNtCh North Mt Mort
T&R’s Homemade Trouble

GrNtChGrCh Homemade Josie.
Homemade Tank.
GrNtCh Hardwood Bean (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Abbotts Bawling Rebel (SEMEN)
GrNtChGrCh Tj's Stylish Lipper (SEMEN)
GrNtCh Nite Life Pay Dirt (SEMEN)
GrNtCh PKC Ch Poison Smoke (SEMEN)

HomeMade Kennels
Newton N.C

2010 SETWA BREEDER OF THE YEAR!!
(828) 302-5480

Old Post 05-22-2014 07:48 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Allen / UKC
Administrator

quote:
but like in everything what you agree to in the beginning of the match/hunt could come back to bite you in the end.. LOL

So far it's worked well and we've not had to deal with any clubhouse officials. I have yet to turn in a scorecard, win or lose. Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed to even turn in a winning card. If it were a hunt my scores would be great!

Old Post 05-22-2014 09:21 PM
JTROTT
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Question!

quote:

Infrared light is light! A thermal imager uses infrared light! They are light emitting devices! They "Put Out" light from them!

A light gathering nite vision device gathers ambient light, so that is correct, it is not a lite and can't and should not be used.

But if it emits light from it, is it not a "Light"????

NtCh ch'pr'Ingram's Smokin' Tony "Smoke" (3 wins toward Grand)(Kansas Junior x Stender's Hawkeye Rose)

Old Post 05-22-2014 10:17 PM
JTROTT is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JTROTT Click here to Send JTROTT a Private Message Click Here to Email JTROTT Find more posts by JTROTT Add JTROTT to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JTROTT
UKC Forum Member

Allen/UKC

?????????????

Old Post 05-25-2014 01:13 PM