UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > gators
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ci1982
UKC Forum Member

gators

Watched a show on national geographic this morni g
about Florida. Beautiful in its own. Looks like real tough hunting.
Thick swamps. Lots of gators American crocs and said they
have confirmed cases of the Nile croc. Poisonous snakes
and big pythons. Was just wondering if anyone that Hunts
the deep south has problems with any of these big reptiles. Like the gators
or pythons.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-15-2017 07:10 PM
Ci1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ci1982 Click here to Send Ci1982 a Private Message Find more posts by Ci1982 Add Ci1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcblues
UKC Forum Member

Florida

Good and bad . Believe it or not there are some nice oak hammocks with good walking . There are also lots of rough stuff heavy undergrowth and wet and soggy . In the summer (which is nearly year round ) lots of insects . I've never had a problem with gators although there are some around.Lots of snakes . Mostly moccasins where I hunt but we have our share of rattlesnakes as well. I lost a dog to a rattlesnake last year . The good thing about here is you if you can stand the heat and critters there's year round hunting.And the terrain is flat . believe I'd rather deal with critters than walk through mountains and cliffs! I think those folks have rough ! Take care . Wayne

Old Post 01-15-2017 08:33 PM
gcblues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gcblues Click here to Send gcblues a Private Message Find more posts by gcblues Add gcblues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You just have to be smarter than those critters and have a little luck. Two weeks ago during our coldest weather of the year my hunting buddy killed a giant cotton mouth by his dog pen. Today me and my grandson cut up a large pine tree the last hurricane blew over in my pasture. My first words to John were to watch and listen for a rattlesnake as they love to hang out in brush like that. The stuff is out there you just have to keep an eye out for it. I kind put it like this. Every turn on a race track can kill you. If your afraid of the wall you will never be a race car driver. If you afraid of critters you will never be a Coonhunter in FL. I hate them critters and I am fearful of them but I can't let them stop me.

Old Post 01-15-2017 09:57 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ci1982
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the input guys. The most I have to deal
with is rattles and cooperheads. I live in NE Kansas.
The hunting is alote diff then down there. Was just curious
as it looked like vast swamps.

Old Post 01-15-2017 10:28 PM
Ci1982 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ci1982 Click here to Send Ci1982 a Private Message Find more posts by Ci1982 Add Ci1982 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

You probably saw south fl Everglades. That is a vast swamp. Beautiful land but a true wilderness

Old Post 01-15-2017 11:44 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeffgrant00
UKC Forum Member

Its funny,,, I was out hunting tonight thinking about Florida. I spent 10 years in my teens and early twenties in Jacksonville FL. I didn't coon hunt then, i was too busy hunting all the tourists girls from the midwest! I couldn't imagine turning a hound loose at night in some of those palmetto thickets and swamps we used to hog hunt in, too many critters that want to eat you or bite you.
I am in the center of Indiana now and we have the best coon hunting country anywhere I think. Nothing wants to eat you, we don't have any poisonous snakes to worry about and cooons galore!

GRNITCH PR PIPE CREEK BUSTER >RIP old friend<

Old Post 01-16-2017 07:34 AM
Jeffgrant00 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeffgrant00 Click here to Send Jeffgrant00 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeffgrant00 Find more posts by Jeffgrant00 Add Jeffgrant00 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote