UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Claude Millers Book form 1971 Making Tree Hounds Pay Off
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Claude Millers Book form 1971 Making Tree Hounds Pay Off

I was dusting off my books today and "Making Tree Hounds Pay Off" seemed to be calling me to reread it and I figured I would and share some of the information in the book with all of you. The book was published around 1970 or 1971 and it was written by Claude Miller from Springdale, AR.

His "introduction" talks about taking his 15 years of experience and placing it into this publication. He felt it would be considerable value for hound dog followers that wanted to make a profit from their hounds or just add pleasure to their hunts. Also to share with the reader his kennel for a better understanding of what he does. He states his training program caters to all types of hounds and he is equipped to properly work and progress 47 hounds at a time.
He stated most hunters and trainers strive to discover the motivational factors that make a hound work or keep him working and that is the purpose of this book.

Before I go through the book and share the highlights of the chapters with you for discussion and I am sure some fun along the way, let me ask. Anyone in the 70's have any dealings with Mr. Miller or get any dogs from him. I am not spending my time doing this to bash anyone or anyones methods. My goal is to share with some of you his perspective right or wrong on hounds in the early 70's. I will read the first few chapters today and once I digest them I will share the information with you the best I can. Hopefully after a few weeks of sharing this information someone can benefit from it.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-14-2017 at 01:20 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-14-2017 12:30 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I read that book before it's going to be bad all weekend here I look forward to you you going over it with us Bruce.

Old Post 01-14-2017 12:47 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

Yes sir, I very much am looking forward to what you make of this book Mr. Conkey and thanks for doing so!!! Never heard of or read this book.

Edit: $10.00 was a lot of money for a book back in 1970....that's about like $30.00 for a coon squaller today!!! I already think Mr. Miller is gonna give us a shine.

Last edited by msinc on 01-14-2017 at 01:01 PM

Old Post 01-14-2017 12:59 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bombard6490
UKC Forum Member

I'm half way through call of the hounds by del Cameron right now, never liked reading till it came to learning everything I could about hounds. Amazon has the book for sale used for $60 bucks

Old Post 01-14-2017 01:19 PM
Bombard6490 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bombard6490 Click here to Send Bombard6490 a Private Message Find more posts by Bombard6490 Add Bombard6490 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

I bet

I bet what he has to say will be as hard for the NEW generation coon hunters to swallow as GRANDMAW'S old cold medicine was.
Take a shot Bruce gona be interesting.
Does anyone remember MR. Wolters gun dog books, was not well received by the trainers back then BUT guess what that was then not NOW.

Old Post 01-14-2017 01:29 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

O

By the way it may not hurt to have a book review by non other than walk with WIX na that is to new BUT there is a lot if GOOD information in it also. BUT you know old John he is ------------------- well you know the rest U fill in the blanks.
Maybe BOOK review # 2

Old Post 01-14-2017 01:35 PM
H. L. Meyer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H. L. Meyer Click here to Send H. L. Meyer a Private Message Click Here to Email H. L. Meyer Find more posts by H. L. Meyer Add H. L. Meyer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Meyer, Mr. Wick is hopefully getting better everyday with his health issues. Before it is over on here I am not sure it will be even fair to Mr. Miller what we have to say about his book. I see no reason to expose someone like Mr. Wick who has actually helped so many over the course of his life and still doing so, to the reality of a message board. These boards can be cruel sometimes for no other reason than somebody just wants to shed a negative light on something. My last conversation with Mr. Wick was about him joining our group and discussing issues with us on here. Not sure he ever will do that, so your stuck with me and yadkintar for now. lol
Oh yea, and HOBO the redbone expert. lol Don't forget Elvis the man of wisdom. Larry A. can always bring us back down to earth. I know Old Timer reads this stuff and he has a lot to bring to the table also. Have to do do some work around the yard today and later I will start with the first few paragraphs of the book.
I will leave you with his for now. The first half of the book is the foundation we all need to understand. It is about your basic obedience training and how your dog thinks and your interaction with that thinking.
Mr. Millers methods seem to be slow and methodical but is in contrast to what many of us actually do today and seems perfect to bring a pup along. To many of us keep the pup in the pen wondering whats its purpose is till it is 8 or 10 months of age, then expect to give it a crash course in being a coon hound.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-14-2017 at 02:38 PM

Old Post 01-14-2017 02:28 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I come from a time when respect was everything you got to really respect a man like mr wick that would take pups from his own breeding and all through their training on the way to making coon treeing dogs put the good and the bad in the magazine for all to see I know a lot of people that all you ever hear is the good I got a pen full of bad right now lol.

Old Post 01-14-2017 02:42 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I come from a time when respect was everything you got to really respect a man like mr wick that would take pups from his own breeding and all through their training on the way to making coon treeing dogs put the good and the bad in the magazine for all to see I know a lot of people that all you ever hear is the good I got a pen full of bad right now lol.
Yeah but the bad thing was he(wick) never finished it as the pups he chose let him down. Heck with the yard work Bruce cant wait to have something good to read on here,

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Last edited by wjoey on 01-14-2017 at 03:37 PM

Old Post 01-14-2017 03:34 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JesseJ
UKC Forum Member

Claude Miller

Bruce
I bought two started English females from Claude in the early eighties I pick them up at Claude's house. I think they were out of Oneys Tom,sold one n kept one that was black n white no ticks look like a walker. Probably the best coon hound I ever owned,made Nt.Ch. n won her first at Texas State Championship 1985 when they hunted over 300 dogs each nite.Claude was a really good man,he had Oney bred hounds mostly. Look forward to your post! Thanks. JesseJ

Old Post 01-14-2017 04:35 PM
JesseJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JesseJ Click here to Send JesseJ a Private Message Click Here to Email JesseJ Find more posts by JesseJ Add JesseJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

I want to buy all 3 anybody got some?

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Old Post 01-14-2017 10:34 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

As I was reading this book, I kept thinking back to this message board and many of the questions young people or beginners are asking. It seems to answer many of them in a way that works well for Mr. Miller. Please remember this book was written over 45 years ago.

On page 7 it's titled "Picking A Hound For Success".
First thing he talks about is selecting a hound pup for success and like many on here he talks about considering the ancestry from which the pups comes and specifically mentions the first 3 generations. He also mentions a pup from an above average litter of dogs stands a better chance of being a reproducer. One that is outstanding with siblings that didn't turn out well should not be considered for breeding stock. The reason is because your more likely to attain the average quality of the litter than the like the ability in the one good hound.
Since your looking for a pup for your own personal use, your choice should be one that pleases you in appearance to the very "T". Mr. Miller also feels this pup won't be cheap but offers a way that people can afford it. That is to buy, borrow or rent a female that meets your standards in EVERY WAY. Likewise you should find the very best male with the largest number of good dogs in his pedigree, and make the cross.
His next statement is were he kind of goes against what we believe today but the way he does it and has the location to do it makes it work. I might add some on there do it that way also but again it requires the right location and effort.
That point is you should be prepared to keep the entire litter and HANDLE THEM PROPERLY, following the instructions in his training manual. I might add here that he doesn't refer to his "BOOK" but calls it a "TRAINING MANUAL". Which I think is correct for not only the dog but the Man behind the dog.
Mr. Miller states you should keep them until they are one year old and then you should have one or two outstanding young hounds and possible three or four working good enough to realize a return on your investment from the mating process. Mr. Miller states it sounds like a monumental undertaking just to get a gain a coon dog or two. However, if one isn't cautions, he can go to more trouble and expense and have a kennel full of dogs from which none are worth hunting or selling.
Now he goes into "Genetic Breeding Doesn't Assure Quality" and I am sure many will take these words from 1970 and not agree with them. I will just say they are interesting and remember all the post on here about OLD vs NOW blood.
Mr. Miller says it is reasonable to assume that most hunters and breeders have read considerable material about genetics, as well as breeding. He states he has his doubts about genetic breeding but states he is not qualified to brand this method as unworkable. He states that many inficiduals have acknowledged that hound breeding is improving, with many breeders finding this true. However, some breeders are still missing out, and if you doubt this, then just take up training as a means of survival. This is the surest way to prove the above statement.
Mr. Miller talks about having hound shipped to him from over 30 states and states he presently has hounds from 19 states. Among them are hounds from many strains and crosses from practically every form of family and genetic breeding. For years he has kept a flawless record on the progress of all the hounds he trained.
This next sentence reminds me of discussions we had on here last week. Mr. Miller says that he is sorry to say he has watched breeding deteriorate to the extent, in many cases, that it now takes almost double the number of hours to finish a hound. He states that FAMILY BREEDING which he learned from experience, is an extreme problem for the individual who sets out to train the offspring.
Mr. Miller kind of confuses me with his term "Genetic Breeding" but I feel he is referring to line breeding. The next paragraph is an interesting one from his point of view.
"If there is any way possible to produce a high percentage of quality hounds from genetic breeding, then I seriously have my doubts that it has been figured out yet. Of the breeders I know who are consistently producing a high percentage of above average tree hounds, most base their percentage of quality pups on the distance in which the ancestors have been closely checked and found favorable".
Please remember this was back in the 70's and most of these hounds didn't have PR pedigrees like we do today. A lot or research was just manual checking of the dogs and talking to people that knew where the dogs came from. Thats what he is referring to when he says the bloodlines are checked. Today we can sit down at a table and do this but then we don't take the next step. Actually see the ability of the dogs we are checking.
Couple things I find amusing so far is some of the pictures in the book. He has a walker dogs picture which resembles one I have and he talks about the dogs far away look and it is the look of a typical family bred explosion.

In the next sections of the book he talks about the Proper age to separate the litter which I find interesting. He talks about keeping the whole litter but understands they need to be separated. As we will see later that separation is important.

One note here and something that has worried me from the beginning, of wanting to share this information with my friends here is this. Books have a Copyright and I do not want to infringe on that. Any of you more knowledge people out there see a problem with continuing discussions on this book please share this with me and I will have this post removed.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-15-2017 at 02:05 PM

Old Post 01-15-2017 02:02 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce we discuss things from all the magazines and they have a copyright as long as you don't go word for word I don't think they will mind I look forward to it I read the book but it makes more sense and don't overwhelm me as much when I read it the way you put it together.

Old Post 01-15-2017 02:23 PM
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

Can someone discribe "a far away look" to me?

Old Post 01-15-2017 02:58 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by sleepy head
Can someone discribe "a far away look" to me?

Sure...that was what every communist liberal tree hugging democrat had on THEIR face when they very first realized that America said NO to Hillary!!!!!!!

Old Post 01-15-2017 04:16 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
Sure...that was what every communist liberal tree hugging democrat had on THEIR face when they very first realized that America said NO to Hillary!!!!!!!

Wow!! Definitely want stay shy of a dog like that. Thank you

Last edited by sleepy head on 01-15-2017 at 04:23 PM

Old Post 01-15-2017 04:19 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wjoey
Banned

Copyright of a book means you can not reproduce it in full without the authors consent it has nothing to do with having a conversation about it or even quoting it word for word I'm sure he is tickled to death that its on here now, you would also have to reproduce it with intent to produce meaningful gain meaning making money with it .. Copyright law generally does not protect the underlying ideas of a creative work, and it does not protect facts. For example, copyright doesn't prevent you from expressing in your own words ideas and facts found in a book or journal you read.
If you express ideas and facts , you should always give appropriate credit to the sources in which you found them. It is common courtesy to do so, and not doing so could constitute a violation of the Copyright Act

He is a coon dog!

SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION

DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

Last edited by wjoey on 01-15-2017 at 05:12 PM

Old Post 01-15-2017 05:06 PM
Pat Bizich
Banned

Ahh, Good books that were written by knowledge-able houndsmen willing to share their years of experience .
When us "Youngsters" were hungry for the information we needed and badly wanted of the winning ways of the hunters in the winning circle every weekend.

I own both volumes I and II.

How about this book? Any of you youngsters remember this one??

THE COMPETITION HOUND...BY SID STEWART
Who is he some may ask??

Have you heard of or how many remember these hounds??
Carolina Casey, Cherry River Banjo, Stewarts Licking River Meggs, Stewarts Spring, Childers Bo, Mullins Sugar Creek Rip?
He owned raised and trained .
The wealth of information in this small book.

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Old Post 01-16-2017 06:26 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

In the next section of the book Mr. Miller talks about the proper age to separate the litter. Please remember he stated he likes to keep the whole litter so some of us might say I have only two pups so I don't need this. I think you do as we will see that separation of pups is an important part of their maturing process and allowing them to establish their personality.

Mr. Miller states the if pups are left together for a period of time the litter will begin to assume a "Position in life". Since it is important for a trainer to realize what he has in a pup, as far a quality is concerned, he must concentrate on the problems of his pups as the earliest age possible. Since time is so valuable you should not waste it on ironing out problems you have allowed to creep into your training program.
If the litter is left together, one pup will almost invariably assume the position of king of the roost and will set out to rule the entire litter. Another pup will take the title of second in command and will dominate those under him and so on down the line. If sufficient pride and guts have been bred into the litter, and none of them will bend in their quest to rule, then there will probably be the constant threat of a battle royale. This situation would tend to be far worse than a cowered pup.
Mr. Miller states an important factor to consider in training dogs is that of realizing when all hope in the animal has been exhausted. At that this point, you should cease you time with the dog. You can't afford to waste a valuable pup by exposing it to every manmade problem.
You should wait 60 days before separating the litter, and the only time the pups should be allowed to mingle is when you are working them. Teaching them to get along in the feed pan and walking them in the woods.
The young dogs should be penned in separate runs or tied outside to dog boxes. They should always be addressed by NAME. If you cannot spend time teaching them their names or teaching them other commands in the prescribed manner, then they should continue to be separated and their minds should be given a brief respite before you begin their schooling.
Mr. Miller takes a break here from the hounds schooling and starts to talk about the mechanical function of the dogs brain.

He states a dogs brain functions like a human's. He wrote. It would be wise to consider the assumption that a dog's brain functions similarly to that of a human being. Keeping this in mind, the dog trainer should gain a keener knowledge of how the animal "ticks".
Mr. Miller states he has consumed thousands of hours working with hounds--keeping records of their every performance and the manner in which they perform under the same conditions when forced to make a decision on their own. Those records tell an all-encompassing story--one that should be of vital interest to all dog admirers.
From his records kept on hundreds of hounds he feels he understands the process by which a hounds brain operates. His theory present the mechanics of the animal's thinking powers.
Mr. Miller concludes that the first part of a pup's brain is simply devoid of authority--it is empty. The animal initially cannot perform because it is not schooled or geared to that purpose. What the pup is doing is responding to its instincts and curiosity, on first encountering the world.
The first part of the dogs brain involves the flashing of an experience that registers on his brain. As the experience lingers, a tiny portion is slowly funneled to the second part of the brain. The diminishing flash invariably vanishes with the ensuing experience. At this point you will begin to realize the importance of controlling these experiences in which your pup is involved. Obedience is the first quality you may teach a pup. At a tender age, you should cautiously acquaint your pup with a very simple command. When you have with him for only a few minutes, and discern even the slightest sign of progress, then you should return the animal to his kennel run until the following day. One the second day you should repeat the work, after which you should add a few words. When the dog shows a trace of progress, return him to his kennel for two more days. By this time it is crucial that the dog is kenneled alone, only with a slight view of outside activity, because too many experiences will distract his thinking and allow other thoughts to hinder his schooling.
Mr. Miller breaks down the dogs brain into sections and says the first part of the dogs brain--or the part on which an experience first registers--is an extremely critical portion, because the initial sensation must enter here before it can be funneled to other parts of the brain.
This mechanical phase is know as the "witnessing" and "doing" portion, since about 80% of the dogs performance is comprised of thoughts from the main portion of the brain. Part one of the brain must receive practically all its orders from the final storehouse of experiences, with few of the latest experiences contributing form part two of the brain. After this phase, part one puts the operations in motion and the performance is witnessed.
Assuming a hound is 50% trained, is normal minded and has an average amount of nose power, he should work reasonably smooth. However, since he is only 50% trained and is forced to make a decision on his own, there is a 50-50 chance he will comply with instances based on hundreds of years of breedings. Mr. Miller states it is up to the reader to sort of "read between the lines" when reading this guide as the writer has endeavored to place the reader on the near-equal thinking level with the hound. The reader shouldn't let this comment "throw-him or deter his understanding of dogs, because authorities point out there there are only three creatures, intelligence wise, distinguishing between man and dog. It is popular conclusion that a normal minded hound, if schooled properly is an extremely intelligent animal "individual"
Next time we will dig deeper into the dogs brain.

Old Post 01-16-2017 01:13 PM
H. L. Meyer
UKC Forum Member

Well

Sorry I messed up your post. I deleted my previous reply

Last edited by H. L. Meyer on 01-16-2017 at 04:29 PM

Old Post 01-16-2017 01:54 PM
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Continuing on with the dogs brain. Mr. Miller says part 2 of the brain determines the amount of experiences that can be processed in a day's time. This is the area that experiences feed in slowly from part 1.
Part 2 may fill up and contain many times more that part 1 and may contribute a number of thoughts to part 1 in triggering a decision. Yet, any experience good or bad can be dissolved completely and neve reach the final storehouse. This act would be accomplished through a different kind of experience that would have to be exception enough to motivate the dog to "put his all in it', the be repeated over and over again at proper intervals.
The proper use of electricity has been proven effective in getting favorable responses from hounds during schooling. You should be an experienced trainer to attain the full meaning one gets at this point involving the use of electricity in training dogs. Mr. Miller stated his first experience with shocking devices transpired when he learned how it could be utilized in a medical capacity on psychiatric patients.
Remember Mr. Miller used a HotShot back in his day and like today it was used in a fastidious and moderate manner at the split second the situation occurred. Mr. Miller stated that he found the genuine love a hound shows toward his master comes through respect and discipline which have been applied many times with an above average human understanding of what makes a hound tick.
It has often been said that seldom, if ever, will old Blue's performance exceed his masters love. Whether or not this adage is always true isn't important. What is important is the fact that the thought will always invariably cause you to keep discipline within reason.
The Final Storehouse in the dogs brain.
During the training process, you want your dog to perform as accurately as possible what you've taught him. This is what you strive for and hope to get out of your training subject. The reason so much time is required in training a dog is the limitations of the brain processing channels.
If you took a young pup out and let him become involve in hunting, chasing ad treeing a coon, he would be well on his way in getting a good start as a hunting dog. However, this kind of situation just doesn't happen that way, because proper time must be expended to allow the dog's brain to derive the fullest benefit from each new experience of a similar nature. This process must be carried out until the brains storehouse is filled to capacity. Then and only then do you have a fully trained hound.
Lets say your dog has encountered a bad experience during a long hard deer race. It is crucial at this point for you to administer some severe discouragement. as outlined in later discussion. You should then continue that same night, if possible with your dogs schooling on wanted game.
Mr. Miller said the following advice has proven to be quite effective in his training experience. If one hunt climaxes on a successful note, the trainer should allow seven days for the dog to register his experiences on his brain. During this process, the dog can receive the full benefit of his experiences as they flow to the next part of the brain. However if the hunt is forced to be terminated on unsatisfactory performance, you would be well served to allow the shortest time possible to begin the next hunt. A pleasing experience should result for this repeated hunt.
I personally have heard it said for years you should try and end the hunt with a good situation. Maybe this is where it came from.
Mr. Miller talks in general about dogs being intelligent.
He feel he should emphasize that the first four weeks of a puppies life should not be disturbed or disparaged by man. After the first 30 days, the pup is capable of hearing, smelling and has complete vision. All factors that allow him to begin to form an opinion on man. Mr. Miller states the surest way to determine a hounds brain power is his ability to obey commands. This should be taken in consideration when sizing up a pup for quality.
At 7 weeks, an intelligent pup should display a definite interest in his masters commands--providing he has been properly handled with patience and sternness.
His age related chart to humans is this.
2 month old pup is equal to a 2 year old child
6 month old pup is equivalent in age to a 5 year old
The first 2 years of a hounds life equals five years of a mans life span.
At 10 weeks a puppy will if worked, over at least one simple command, and at 12 weeks a professional trainer can begin to select the best pups of the litter with an unbelievable degree of accuracy.

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 01-16-2017 at 07:43 PM

Old Post 01-16-2017 07:34 PM
Cheyenne
UKC Forum Member

I know Claude, been to his house a few times with Bert Oney. These men know dogs and how to train them, they have forgot more about training and raising dogs than most on here. Claude's brother, which his name has slipped my mind, was a great trainer, especially rabbit dogs. Those were good times at Claude's and his wife would cook up a meal fit to feed a army.

Nt.Ch. 2010 World Hunt Finalist Tug River Stylish PJ, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Polly, Pkc Ch. Nt.Ch. Stylish Cheyenne, Gr.Nt.Ch. Frieds Thunder Crank, Gr.Nt.Ch. Major Dan , Nt.Ch. Lil Red Rat, Stylish Tanks Style

Old Post 01-17-2017 12:21 AM
Cheyenne is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cheyenne Click here to Send Cheyenne a Private Message Click Here to Email Cheyenne Find more posts by Cheyenne Add Cheyenne to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey

Oh yea, and HOBO the redbone expert. lol

Bruce Bruce Bruce.........

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:50 AM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warn
UKC Forum Member

huh dennis it would appear Bruce knows you as well as I do!!!!!

Mark Warner

"HOME OF PREDAWN KENNELS"

http://www.tekonshathunder.homestead.com

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:56 AM
warn is offline Click Here to See the Profile for warn Click here to Send warn a Private Message Click Here to Email warn Find more posts by warn Add warn to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Miller now begins to talk about teaching the pup obedience. In my opinion this going to answer a lot of questions we get on here about someone getting their first pup or when do they start training their pup. My opinion every interaction you have with your pup is training and you should treat it as such. Not back to Mr. Millers thoughts.
He states one of the very first things you should instill in a puppy's mind is that he can either please or displease you during the initial training phase. The pup's actions can either be rewarded or rejected, whatever the case may be. You must choose your own methods with which to make a puppy uncomfortable when he has done something that does't please you. If you don't prefer to pet and make over the pup ofter, then a few kind words and assuring words should be rewarding enough when the pup has done something to please you. A professional trainer must be as firm and steady as a school teacher. He should never pet and make over his dog to express his own feelings. This compassionate expression is a valuable tool if properly used only when the dog deserves a reward for displaying obedience.
Puppies, if properly bred, have a lot of guts and ambition and because of these traits you will likely encounter trouble when feeding them together. Feeding a litter of eager pups is an opportunity that a trainer should not pass up, because this is a situation where the trainer can begin a course of obedience.
During feeding time a trainer is advised to stand over the litter, holding a small switch over them. If one pup begins to growl, tap him lightly on the head. If he snaps at another companion administer a solid tap. Finally if the pup tries to provoke a fight with another pup you should pick him up and give him about 10 good stern lashes with the switch. After you return him to a feeding pan the pup may instinctively dash off to the corner to himself and will probably miss the rest of the meal. This is a perfectly normal reaction and should serve as a good lesson. At the next feeding, the scolded pup will be right in there hogging the feed with the rest of them with a more obedient attitude. The training should continue until the pup totally refrains from growling. Chances are his acton will play a greater role in molding the litter's personalities that an amateur trainer could dream of.
Among the things this kind of disciplinary training teaches the litter is that they must learn to get along with the other dogs and they cannot run off and hide from correctional measures. This discipline you administer will be of a highly insulting nature to the pups, but shouldn't last long because the feed pan has a magical way of attracting them right back.
The opportunity to bridle a dog behavior should not be ignored, because at no other time can you apply such pressure at a tender age and still blend in perfect harmony with obedience schooling.

Mr. Miller only covered one small point here but if you read and think about it, he said a lot.
First let me jump back so we don't get confused. His book is 100 pages and we are on page 25. He talks about obedience training and the development of the dogs brain, which we will get into more text time, in the first 50 pages. This is how important it is. I think this is something most of us let slip by and just jump into showing the pup a coon and wanting it to be a coondog. At the same time people come on here begging for information how they should start their pup. START WITH OBEDIENCE TRAINING. START WITH THE PUP KNOWING YOU ARE THE MASTER. START SMALL AND SIMPLE AND BUILD IN STEPS. When I say obedience training I am not talking about a professional course here. I think Mr. Miller is talking about making the puppy be obedient to what ever commands you choose to give him. If it is only COME or to LEAD. Make the pup be obedient. He also talks about you being consistent with the pup. Don't go out there one day happy and pet and praise everything the pup does because your happy. Also don't go out there mad and take it out on the pup. YOU HAVE TO BE CONSISTENT.
I personally use the time when the pups are weaned to set a standard much like Mr. Miller does with the pups. I personally, even when they are nursing feed them once a day starting about 3 weeks old. I generally call them and I stand over them looking for the aggression Mr. Miller looked for. In all honesty I vary rarely see it anymore and maybe that is something we have bred out of them. Maybe it not being there is good or is maybe bad, but is one change I have seen over the years. Next Mr. Miller talks about when dishing out punishment, being stern. When you have the opportunity to do so the punishment should be STERN.
Another note from me is I also feed them to look for any health issues one might have. Body structure when they are scurrying around eating is one thing I look at. Also see which one may not want to eat that much and I watch him closely at the next feeding. If your not careful with a litter of pups you can loose them in a few days to parasites or worse if your not watchful of whats going on. I have seen times I have gave them a regular worming and normally anyone would say I just wormed them and think things are ok. Watch them and if one don't eat, pay attention and maybe you will need to worm it again. Sometimes the worming don't take, sometimes worming a big litter you get confused. Sometimes you just can't explain why, but watching what is going on with the litter can save many puppies. It is all done at the feed pan once a day.

Old Post 01-17-2017 01:04 PM