UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Balancing quality time between dogs
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
A.C Miller
UKC Forum Member

Balancing quality time between dogs

Information
I am someone that is very passionate about coon hunting and rabbit hunting and I try to do both as much as I can. I've been married for two years and I work a full time job that has second shift hours, 3-11 pm.

I wonder if I am cheating both my beagles and my coonhound? Either I hunt the coonhound more and the beagles suffer on field time or I sacrifice the coonhound and take the beagles out. I struggle with giving them both quality time and taking care of my life's priorities and getting sleep. I could have mediocre beagles and a coonhound or make one more of a priority while sacrificing the other. This is something that has bothered me for a while and I would appreciate some input on the situation.

The question I have for everyone is:
Can you balance different types of hunting with dogs (Coonhounds and beagles or bird dogs and foxhounds, etc) and give them the opportunity to make their full potential? Is this realistic? Has anyone been successful in a similar situation?

Austin Miller

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-16-2017 03:24 AM
A.C Miller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for A.C Miller Click here to Send A.C Miller a Private Message Click Here to Email A.C Miller Find more posts by A.C Miller Add A.C Miller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

No

Old Post 01-16-2017 03:32 AM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Balancing quality time between dogs

quote:
Originally posted by A.C Miller
Information
I am someone that is very passionate about coon hunting and rabbit hunting and I try to do both as much as I can. I've been married for two years and I work a full time job that has second shift hours, 3-11 pm.

I wonder if I am cheating both my beagles and my coonhound? Either I hunt the coonhound more and the beagles suffer on field time or I sacrifice the coonhound and take the beagles out. I struggle with giving them both quality time and taking care of my life's priorities and getting sleep. I could have mediocre beagles and a coonhound or make one more of a priority while sacrificing the other. This is something that has bothered me for a while and I would appreciate some input on the situation.

The question I have for everyone is:
Can you balance different types of hunting with dogs (Coonhounds and beagles or bird dogs and foxhounds, etc) and give them the opportunity to make their full potential? Is this realistic? Has anyone been successful in a similar situation?

Austin Miller

I never could. When I worked harder than I do now I upland and waterfowl hunted. Had two setters and a retriever all the time. I could hunt them on weekends jn the winter, do training sessions after work and they were fine. Once I quit working so hard and was home more I sold my setters and filled the kennels back up with hounds.

I couldn't imagine owning more than one type of dog at a time

Old Post 01-16-2017 03:32 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Riley
UKC Forum Member

I think we get too wrapped up in or hobbys and they become work whether it's rabbit or coon hunting it's supposed to be fun a release fro everyday stresses

Old Post 01-16-2017 04:15 AM
Carl Riley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Riley Click here to Send Carl Riley a Private Message Click Here to Email Carl Riley Find more posts by Carl Riley Add Carl Riley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Autumn Clements
UKC Forum Member

Our coonhunting up here is slowed down or dead due to weather during most of our rabbit season or fox/coyote season. So it is do able to have running hounds & coondogs and do them both justice here but if the seasons over lap one or the other is probably going to suffer in order to have time for everything else.

'PR'LEAD'S MIDNITE SASSY
CFC CH Canadian GCH Multi Group Placing MBPIG BBPIG LEGACYK STANNYFIELD PRIME TIME (AKC & UKC Pointed)
BPIG MBBPIG WINDAMIRS RED LIGHT DISTRICT V AMBERLANE
LEGACYK DARE TO DREAM V CBLUES
LEGACYK WHITE AS A GHOST V CBLUES

Gone but not forgotten
GRNITECH GRCH PKC CH'PR'CLEMENTS' BLUE PRANCER

GRNITECH GRCH'PR'SPIKE'S TWILITE HOOKER
'PR'PRANCER'S GETTIN DOWN N DIRTY (PrancerxHooker)
NITECH CH’PR’BUELL’S BLUE ROCKY(Whitey x Spice)

CKC BBPIG MARIES BABY BREEZE

Old Post 01-16-2017 04:39 AM
Autumn Clements is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Autumn Clements Click here to Send Autumn Clements a Private Message Click Here to Email Autumn Clements Find more posts by Autumn Clements Add Autumn Clements to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

It depends on what you want, you can balance time between your coon hound and beagles. The question you have to answer for yourself is what do want. Top competitive dogs or average pleasure dogs.

The problem you're going to have is, if you spend all your free time hunting dogs, you probably won't be married long.

If you're hunting day and night, when are you going to spend quality time with your family?

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 01-16-2017 05:34 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Randy Woodard
UKC Forum Member

It's hard for me to hunt more than one coondog at a time, My young dog needs hunted, then my 4 yr old needs to go! I get into my hunting. To hard to stay out late and then get up early to run beagles to

PR. WOODARDS ALLGRAND ANN ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
PR. WOODARDS HARDWOOD DOC ( SPIDER X LIZ PUP)
Nt.ch. all night Hanna
Nt.ch. Dual Fuel Frisky

Old Post 01-16-2017 11:54 AM
Randy Woodard is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Woodard Click here to Send Randy Woodard a Private Message Click Here to Email Randy Woodard Find more posts by Randy Woodard Add Randy Woodard to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Mr. Miller you ask a good question about something most of us experience. Thats why at the end of the day most people say it comes down to the dog suiting you.

If you have varied interest then your dog may never reach its top form or potential. If it suits you and your happy when you take it to the woods thats fine and all that matters. A lot of people are in the same boat. Thing is there is a lot of pressure out there from others that think they know more about your situation than you do. They say you can't train one, they say you can't hunt one right, they say anyone can but a trained dog. The say you don't know how to breed one.
Who cares how you got the dog your respect and hunt. You got it, you own and care for it. If it meets your standards while balancing other things. That is all that matters.

When you understand your limits, as much as you might want to train a young dog, perhaps buying a finished hound might be in your best interest. If you can't spend the time raising a litter of pups and you want a pup then buying just one might be in your best interest.

Don't become a slave to your dogs. Keep dogs within your reason and enjoy them.

Like ringtail mentioned you have to balance family with all this other things you enjoy also.

Old Post 01-16-2017 12:20 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

After all these years a new puppy is the thing that satisfies me most and with these old legs a walk in the woods about daylight just me and him we both learn from it.

Old Post 01-16-2017 12:31 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buckmaster27012
UKC Forum Member

I'm in a similar issue except its only with my job. Anybody work a job on here with rotating shifts that are 12 hrs? Only work 16 days a month but half are nights. How do you keep a dog hunted up for competition? And the weather throw a kink in it all, last week a foot of snow with single digits temps, now its 50-70 and i'm working nights.

Old Post 01-16-2017 01:41 PM
buckmaster27012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buckmaster27012 Click here to Send buckmaster27012 a Private Message Click Here to Email buckmaster27012 Find more posts by buckmaster27012 Add buckmaster27012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cry Tough Blues
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by buckmaster27012
I'm in a similar issue except its only with my job. Anybody work a job on here with rotating shifts that are 12 hrs? Only work 16 days a month but half are nights. How do you keep a dog hunted up for competition? And the weather throw a kink in it all, last week a foot of snow with single digits temps, now its 50-70 and i'm working nights.

It's tough but manageable. I work 12 hour night shift too. It can be done with some sacrifice and a family that enjoys it like u do

Old Post 01-16-2017 02:57 PM
Cry Tough Blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Cry Tough Blues Click here to Send Cry Tough Blues a Private Message Find more posts by Cry Tough Blues Add Cry Tough Blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

I hunt both, the beagles don't seem to need as much as the coon dog does. It really is different from dog to dog as to how much hunting they need. I used to work a 3 to 11 shift. Coonhunting wasn't a problem, the wife was already in bed. Go out hunt a couple of hours and come home. A couple of nights a week I stayed home and took the beagles in the morning.

The question you have to ask yourself is are the dogs really suffering from this or are you just so wrapped up in it you can't get enough of it?

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 01-16-2017 02:57 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rob thompson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Riley
I think we get too wrapped up in or hobbys and they become work whether it's rabbit or coon hunting it's supposed to be fun a release fro everyday stresses
never fun when you hunt crap cause they don't get the time they need.

Old Post 01-16-2017 04:05 PM
rob thompson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rob thompson Click here to Send rob thompson a Private Message Click Here to Email rob thompson Find more posts by rob thompson Add rob thompson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote