UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > dog acting a fool last couple of hunts
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Donnie Stevens
Wildcat your inbox is full

ought to be good now

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2017 06:51 PM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

I am for the squirrel thing too...watch going in the woods right after dark. This seems to be the time when a lot of dogs act this way if they mess with squirrels. Not always though...as posted, flying squirrels operate later {actually all night long} and they will really drive a dog crazy sometimes. Usually, if you are going in the woods right after dark and the dog makes a few trail barks then trees it might be a gray squirrel.
Not always, but later at night if the dog just grabs a tree and blows it down it is those stupid little flying squirrels. They will drive a dog nuts because until you get there they will run down the trunk where the dog can see them and whistle at the dog. Gray squirrels will come out on a full moon especially in the dead of winter for food but this is rare. Flying squirrels are nocturnal and like a coon they prefer a dark night.
Are you hunting this dog alone or with another dog??? Usually when I see dogs acting like this it is out of jealousy. Even if there is a smoking hot coon track that they jump up right there a jealous dog that wants the attention will ghost trail or grab a tree and blow it down to get you to come over and check it.
The only way to "fix" this that I know of is electricity. A lot of guys will say, "oh my god no, you'll ruin that dog" or "she wont tree right anymore"...what I say is: What have you got to loose???
The bottom line is that it really don't matter why the dog is doing it and it don't matter what the dog thinks it's chasing, at three years old the dog does know it aint doing right. If it's a tick bite that's doing it somebody needs to tell us why these particular ticks prefer to bite mostly walkers!!!!

Last edited by msinc on 01-14-2017 at 12:52 PM

Old Post 01-14-2017 12:38 PM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Tick

Diseases are close to if not epidemic in south and not just walkers. I've had 4 blueticks with it in a year 3 from different states. Not saying that's what it is but it's worth checking. All 4 of mine started doing things they had never done before and just crazy stuff. Tick diseases will for sure affect how dog acts and I for sure wouldn't want to shock one while they had it. Just me to each his own.

Old Post 01-14-2017 03:12 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildcat3
UKC Forum Member

I think she may have turned a corner. Hunted last night and made 3 trees. Saw one coon, one slick and one den tree. I turned out and she hunted, moved a track and treed. I was prepared for another night of just falling treed but last night was different, she defiantly looked better. I was not over joyed about the slick but compared to the last few hunts seeing one coon and making a dem tree is turning a corner in the right direction. I appreciate everyone who has taken time to offer advise and suggestions. I had been turning out right at dark but as sugguestes I waited til on up in the night last night about 10 when I tired out and first drop she moved a track and trees with the meat. Now if we can get adjusted for the slicks I believe I will be able to get her straightened out.

Old Post 01-16-2017 02:42 AM
wildcat3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildcat3 Click here to Send wildcat3 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildcat3 Find more posts by wildcat3 Add wildcat3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote