UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Thyroid Dysfunction /Iodine Link in Dog food proof
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pat Bizich
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Believe me I'm not arguing with any of your finding and I appreciate what you have done. I just know they are telling us its a huge hereditary problem. I want to eliminate that from the process and then if that is not the problem look for outside factors. Like what you have found. The thing is we will have to let each other know and I do not see that happening. I'm supposed to wait 45 days from the time you give them a rabies shot. I got 2 weeks left and I will have him checked. He is on a raw diet but has not always been. If it isn't hereditary and not his dog food about all I have left is his flee/tick and wormer.

No problem. I am just real passionate about this issue with our dogs. It is an aggravating thing when all your hopes and dreams of continuing a line of dogs is stopped dead in its tracks because of this.

I have a question or maybe I should say fuel for your thought? Since this appears to be a really big problem within the walker dogs as I have observed from many posts.
Let me transgress first.
Sometime ago in one of my posts that went "poof". I posted a story about a buyer of an Akita pup from a breeder in Japan. The dog was having health issues so the buyer contacted the breeder for help. The breeder quizzed the buyer and of course the issue of what was being fed was brought up. The breeder immediately recognized the problem. It was explained that the pure bred Akita's from Japan over many generations had been fed diets containing fish products and had evolved to requiring higher levels of iodine in their diet. Problem solved. The pups diet had iodine levels increased and it was fine.

Some people have increased iodine intake artificially by adding iodine supplements. Some are able to tolerate the increased intake and some get sick and must discontinue using them .
This is why I believe some guys will feed the same feed and are not having any problems when others are. It may just be a higher tolerance level for each individual dog.

I also believe both the above story's can be applied to the Walker dogs to some extent. I see guys saying that a certain line is known to have thyroid issues.

For the sake of argument and knowing that excessive iodine can cause hypothyroidism ,is there a possibility that certain lines within the Walker hounds have a higher sensitivity level through breeding and either
A: require a lower level of iodine ?
OR
B: as in the case of the Akita above actually require higher levels than they are getting in their feed?
Interesting theory .

Gone but never forgotten:
NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
NtChGrCh Dryfork Little Blue Baby Doll
2009 Pa Show Dog Of The Year
GrCh Dryfork Little Black Book
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Gone too soon RIP my baby girl
Gr.Ch. Black Dog Black Cherry
GrCh Dryfork Black Dog Raine
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper
2018 Pa. Show Dog Of Year
Gr.Ch. Batman's Poison Ivy
2011&2013 WTDA Pa State Champion
2011&2013 Overall Hunt For The Cure
Ch. Jay's Greenridge Heidi
In memory of my best friend "Jay"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 04-24-2018 02:38 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Yes all of that is possible, very possible in fact, but first because its more prevalent in certain lines the first thing that needs eliminated is if its hereditary. They can test to find out. Once that possibility is eliminated we can move on to other things.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 04-24-2018 03:36 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Got to keep rockin' the boat .
Step back non believers .(Sorry Cher!) LOL.

Two more studies for your reading enlightenment.One by FDA and AVMA that dog food caused thyroid issues.

https://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinar...n/ucm548903.htm

https://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/p...javma.246.1.105

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
One of kind and would make a believer out of you when you thought there were no coon left
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Old Post 04-25-2018 01:11 AM
Pat Bizich is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Pat Bizich Click here to Send Pat Bizich a Private Message Find more posts by Pat Bizich Add Pat Bizich to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

So you're saying Treeing Walker owners are feeding this feed at a three times greater rate than other breed owners?

Old Post 04-25-2018 01:40 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Not sure where you are getting the three times.
Anyway no, what I am saying , applying the case of the Akita being sensitive to low levels and needing higher amounts because of "HEREDITARY BREEDING".Humans reacting differently to increased amounts with some tolerating and some unable to. Could it not stand to be possibly reasoned that dogs that are being diagnosed as "Thyroid" dogs ,especially when there are no other underlying factors are possibly actually reacting to incorrect iodine levels in the feed?
Applying this to the fact that there has been a significant increase in "Thyroid" dogs .The fact that allowable iodine levels have been increased in the last 12 or more plus years in dog feed. This is too much of a coincidence as far as I am concerned.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 04-26-2018 at 03:39 PM

Old Post 04-26-2018 03:32 PM
Larry Atherton
UKC Forum Member

Hello Pat,

I understand being passionate about a topic. I have read many of your post, and I can understand how you could easily start to believe that our dog foods are creating health issues in our dogs. In fact, I believe we are shortening our dog's lives through some of our practices. One example is we medicate our animals and ourselves too much. Many medications are in fact poisons at higher levels than recommended. I have seen people think if this much is good than doubling it must be better attitudes.

Between the news media and the internet science has suffered greatly. As a trained scientist when i read a scientific article, I do so with skepticism. That is a scientist's job. I look for indicators about the worthiness of an article whether or not it is in a proper scientific journal.

The two article you cited last are good examples. The first article from the FDA is absolutely horrible. Number one look at the citations. There are only two! That in of its self is irresponsible. Now, let's look at the other, it is a proper journal. Look how many citations it has. That is much better than the first. Now, I look at the procedure. Does it make good scientific sense? Does the study have a control group? How many subjects were in the study. The study listed has only 14 subjects. Now if they had 14 subjects/run and had 12-20 runs that would mean something. To make claims on such a same sample size is again irresponsible.

One published experiment does not make something fact. It takes hundreds if not thousands of papers that support each other to make an idea a theory.

Any more scientific principles are set a side for quick self fulfillment or for the quick dollar. Science now seems to be for sale.

Pat, you maybe 100% right in your assumptions, but scientifically speaking there hasn't been any proof yet. Still it doesn't hurt to rock the boat a little.

Aim small miss small

Old Post 04-27-2018 08:08 PM
Larry Atherton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry Atherton Click here to Send Larry Atherton a Private Message Click Here to Email Larry Atherton Visit Larry Atherton's homepage! Find more posts by Larry Atherton Add Larry Atherton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pat Bizich
Banned

Larry I under stand your concerns .I welcome intelligent conversations with persons of knowledge.
It seems to me the biggest naysayers sell the feeds in question or are somehow connected to the dog feed industry.
What can be argued is the results I and others have achieved by carefully selecting feed that has lower iodine levels and other additives to be some what more of a mere coincidence.

Just today I found my final pup I am raising to be entering into a heat cycle at less than 9 months of age. She was looking a little puffy the last few days and today I got first blood She will be 9 months old on Monday April 30th.(In three days.)
To reiterate I have not had a female cycle before 2 years of age in I can't remember when.Now I have" three" totally unrelated pups .Each being within one month apart in age come in under 10 months of age. Incredible luck or I guess they are unprovable results .
My older female I had all but given up hope on getting any pups from cycled 3 times in 8 months and was successfully bred.She had went 1 plus years between cycles and then had those 2-5 days in and out over a 4 year period of time.

How can it be explained of the others on here and some others I personally know doing the same after experiencing shortened cycle times and lengthy intervals between cycles ,suddenly having full cycles and getting pups?
There has got to be a connection when the only thing changed was the feed with lower iodine levels.

Just because it can not be scientifically explained does not make it impossible to be true. You know there are a lot of things that cannot be explained scientifically and scientists will scratch their heads in wonder.

I had plenty of people tell be I was on the wrong track, it can't possibly be the feed.
As long as I continue getting positive feedback from others that are getting results ,it will only bolster my position that it is the feed.
To reiterate too many have already gotten the desired results to cast them aside as mere coincidence .There has to be a connection.

NtChGrCh Dryfork Punkin
Gr.Ch. Make My Day Sunny
Home of:
2009,2013,2018 Pa. State
Show Handler Of The Year
CH. Power Pack Pepper

Last edited by Pat Bizich on 08-10-2018 at 03:22 PM

Old Post 04-27-2018 11:41 PM