UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > UKC Free Classifieds > Coonhound Classifieds > Blueticks: Stud Dog and Kennel Promotion > Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Ramblin Blue Smoke
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Ramblin Blue Smoke

First of all I want to say that I had nothing to do with the breeding of Smoke. That was taken care of by Mr. Cory Mailes and Mr. Rocky Condiff. These guys have been hunting and breeding Blueticks for a long time and they are highly respected for their line of dogs. I wasn't even the one that brought Smoke to Mississippi as a pup. One night Clayton Daniels was hunting with me. Clayton is a young guy that lives about 10 miles from me. We were just talking about dogs in general, about breeding dogs and pups, and I mentioned to Clayton that I had always wanted to breed one of my females to one of Cory's dogs. I had never done it. I guess because of the distance and timing. The next day Clayton told me that he had ordered a pup out of Cory's Rattler dog. I asked him what female was the pup out of and he told me it was out of Rocky Cundiff's Grand Nite Ch. Weezie female. I told Clayton that it being out of those two dogs it should have a double chance at making a good one. It never crossed my mine that I would one day be the owner and hunting that pup. The pup that Clayton named Smoke had some set backs. He had a broken leg that got infected that set him back for a while and then he got snake bit. Clayton was hunting with me a lot at that time and I got the chance to watch him from the start. He was pretty much a natural. The first night we took him to the woods we cast the other dogs and the pup didn't go with them, he hung around us for a few minutes running and smelling everything as pups will do, and after a little bit he left us and went into the woods. a few minutes that pup come treed and he was ever more blowing the top out of it. I told Clayton I was going to see what that pup had. We walked into him and he was treed up a small tree. He had him a possum treed and he was letting the world know about it. Clayton asked me what he should do about the pup treeing the possum. I told him to just leash him up and lead him away. Within the next month the pup was making every step with the old dogs and doing a good job at every tree. I hunted him a few times while Clayton was gone and the pup had no problems treeing coons alone. I told Clayton that it looked like he was going to have him a good one. Clayton worked overseas on the oil rigs and he was gone a month at a time.
Along about this time Clayton had an accident on a dirt bike and broke bot his ankles and this layed Clayton and Smoke up for a while. After Clayton got over the accident and went back to work. He seemed to loose interest in coonhunting. One day he came to my house and asked me if I wanted Smoke. He told me that he was having family problems and didn't have time for him. He said he knew that if I got him that he would get hunted and would be close to home. I told him that I already had more dogs than I needed, but that I would take Smoke and that if he ever wanted him back that he could get him, so we made a deal and Smoke stayed at my house. It wasn't long and I had Smoke working back like he should. I really liked the pup and he did it like I like for one to do it. He hunted good and struck quick when he smelled coon and had a good mouth and a hard tree dog. Smoke does not have a Ill bone in him. He is a gentleman anywhere. He runs a track fast and he has no problem hunting alone or getting split treed.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-02-2018 11:47 PM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

---------------Gr.nite Ch."PR"Mailes blue Sue's Pete

----------Ch.Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Mailes' Blue Petes Bob

---------------Gr.nite Ch."PR"Smokey River Jeans Bl. Ruby

-----Gr.Nite Ch.Ch."PR"Mailes Blue Sue's Rattler

---------------Nite Ch."PR"Smokey River JBS Chief

----------"PR"Mailes' Blue Rudy's Sue

---------------Nite Ch."PR" Mailes' Mo. Blue Rudy

Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Misty River Ramblin Blue Smoke

---------------Nite Ch."PR"Rhodes's Tom-Dulley

----------Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Racket Ridge Slim HTX2

---------------"PR"Welch's Blue Angel

-----Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Racket Ridge Weezie

---------------GR.Nite Ch."PR"Smokey River Cheif's Joe

----------Gr.Nite Ch."PR"Smokey River Blue Cricket

---------------"PR"Smokey River Blue Muggins

Old Post 03-03-2018 12:11 AM
Misty river is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Misty river Click here to Send Misty river a Private Message Click Here to Email Misty river Find more posts by Misty river Add Misty river to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Mr. Jack,

That's a nice story about Smoke. I have never hunted with him but I am sure if you have him he is a nice one. Good Luck with him.

Take Care,
Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 03-03-2018 01:21 AM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Ramblin Blue Smoke---3 years old---2018 Performanced sire:

Took Smoke out for a run tonight, cast him up into an Oak flat that had a stream running thru it. In dry weather it doesn't floe thru there, but with all the rain we have been having there was a good bit In there tonight. He went in about 150 yards and struck a good track. rolled it out of there to 250 yards and locked up treed. I went around on another woods road and got to within about 100 yards of him and walked in to him. He was treed up an oak tree close to the stream. I found the coon pretty quick and rolled a big boar out to Smoke. We moved on up the swamp
to another slough and cast him down it. He didn't go far and struck again. He moved it out in the middle of the slough into swimming waterand went strait down the slough. The slough is probably over 100 yards long and he put him out the other end. Its mostly pines in that part of the swamp. He went through them another 150 yards and locked up treed. I walked in to him. I figured he would be up a pine tree, but he wasn't, he was treed up an oak den tree. I petted smoke up some and we walked back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-03-2018 at 04:42 AM

Old Post 03-03-2018 04:38 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Grand Nite Ch. "PR" Misty River Ramblin Blue Smoke----- 2018 performance Sire.

Took Smoke out for a short run tonight. We went up the road a ways and a couple hundred yards into the swamp and cast him off an old woods road down a slough. He went in about 150 yards and struck a working track. Worked it down the slough a ways and crossed the slough and lined it out. I thought he might be headed for the lower swamp down across the road, but if he was Smoke closed the gap on him to quick, about 350 yards in Smoke locked up treed. I went back to another Woods road and down it. Smoke was treed about 20 yards off the road (my kind of dog) I walked in to him and he was treed up a big pine. It was pretty thick in there with 2 or 3 other big pines close by and there was only one place that I could see part of the tree, but I never could make him look at me. We were only out for a short hunt. There is a lot of water in the river and in the swamps and we are suppose to have more rain coming in Saturday and Sunday. We called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-09-2018 at 05:35 AM

Old Post 03-09-2018 05:11 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke upriver tonight. We were hunting above the river road in an oak and pine flat. Turned him up a drain. He went in about 250 yards and struck a good track and moved it on in to about 400 yards and locked up treed. I went around on another woods road and got to within about 50 yards of him and walked on in. He was treed up a medium sized oak beside the drain. I found the coon pretty quick. We left it to run again and moved on up the swamp. Turned Smoke down a slough and he went in about 300 yards and struck another good track and moved it in toward the Dummyline about 100 yards deeper in and locked up treed. I went around and he was treed right beside the Dummyline. I found the coon pretty quick and let Smoke have it. We loaded up and called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-15-2018 at 05:36 AM

Old Post 03-15-2018 05:20 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke out for a run tonight. Turned him down a drain that runs through the swamp. There was a lot of water flowing through there tonight with all the rain we have been getting lately. Smoke went in about 350 yards and struck, moved the track on out to about 750 yards and treed. I rode into about 150 yards of him and walked on in to him. He was treed on a big hardwood tree on the other side of the drain.(you ever notice that about dogs treeing coons they are always treed across the water). I found the coon from where I was at, and then found a place where there was a bunch of debre washed up against some trees and managed to cross the drain. I petted Smoke up a little and we left this one to run again. we made our way back across the drain and back to the 4-wheeler and moved on up the swamp and turned Smoke down a slough. He went down the slough a ways and crossed over to the other side and came back my way and crossed out across a big cattle pasture. There was a gate up the swamp aways that went into the pasture, so I made my way to it and went into the pasture. After I got through the gate I listened and Smoke was treed across the pasture. I got to within about 100 yards of him and walked on in. He was treed on a smaller pine on a fence row that went up into a big pine across the fence. I could see the small pine pretty good, but the bigger pine Had so many big limbs on it that I couldn't see anything. I think he had him, but I never did see him. we walked back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-20-2018 at 07:12 AM

Old Post 03-20-2018 06:39 AM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Mr Jack , Smoke sure sounds like a nice hound. I’m hunting the Belle gyp that I partnered on with Scott out of Tramp x Skeeter. From what I understand she has never had the proper woods time. I’ve been hunting her 4 nights a week and she has improved steadily. She came in heat last week so now I’m waiting on her to go out. I’m going to stay on her. I’m also getting the sledge dog out of shadow down here soon. I’m looking forward to hunting him. Good luck with Smoke. Hopefully, if you don’t mind , I can come over and hunt with you one night soon. Darren

HOME OF:
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue S&H’s Goose (Sparks&Hollis)
GrChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Cotton
GrNtCh PR Mose's Pink Floyd ( Co-Owned with Scott V)
Ch GrNtCh PR Frost Hollow Strap
ChNtCh PR Southern Blue Hardwood Dolly
ChGrNtCh PR Southern Blue Spanky ( Hollis & Hollis)
PR Southern Blue Cobb (NtChCh Uchtmans Andy x Ratliffs Blue Tell)
PR Southern Blue Betsy (Goose x Dual Grand Cotton)
(REST IN PEACE)
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Moonshine
GrNtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Frostbite
NtChGrCh PR Southern Blue Queen
NtChGrCh PR Blue Eyes Blue Jessie
NtCh PR Southern Frost Hollow Blue Bell(BB)
NtCh PR Southern Blue Hammer
NtCh PR Hollis' Southern Blue Maggie
NtCh PR Hollis' Bull Mtn. Pearl
GrCh PR Southern Blue Jet
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler
GrChGrNtCh PR Lovell’s Smokey River Blue Ann

Old Post 03-20-2018 05:53 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david woofter
UKC Forum Member

Dulley and Angel

Mr. Jack what is the Bloodlines behind Dulley and Angel? I always wanted to breed a dog to Bob or later Rattler but never did because of distance. Talked to Cory about Rattler a couple times. Thank You. P.S. I see UKC has never fixed your PM.

Old Post 03-20-2018 09:37 PM
david woofter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david woofter Click here to Send david woofter a Private Message Click Here to Email david woofter Find more posts by david woofter Add david woofter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

racket ridge slim

--------GRNITECH SMOKEY RIVER BL. DIAM. JIM
-----PR BLUE DIAMOND JIM II
--------PR SMOKEY RIVER CRY BABY II

---PR CARPENTERS BLUE SMOKEY

--------NITECH PR SUNDOWN
-----PR CARPENTERS BLUE ELVIRA
--------PR KOON KREEK BLUE CRYSTAL

-NITECH PR RHODES'S TOM-DULLEY

--------PR BLUE DIAMOND JIM II
-----PR CARPENTERS BLUE SMOKEY
--------PR CARPENTERS BLUE ELVIRA

---PR CARPENTER'S BLUE LUE

--------NITECH PR HARLOW'S TRACKDOWN
-----CARPENTER'S BLUE PEGGY
--------PR KOON KREEK BLUE SADIE

GRNITECH 'PR' RACKET RIDGE SLIM HTX2

--------BEARDEN'S BLUE BIG IKE
-----GRNITECH PR DARBY'S TREE THUMPIN B.J.
--------PR DRY CREEK BL. SUGAR

---GRNITECH PR DARBY'S TREE THUMPHIN VAMPIRE

--------PR DARBY'S TR. THUMPIN STUMP
-----PR DARBY'S TR. THUMPIN BELL
--------NITECH PR DARBY'S TR. THUMPIN PENNY

-PR WELCH'S BLUE ANGEL

--------NITECH PR SMOKEY RIVER JBS CHEIF
-----PR REMINGTON'S BLUE BUDDY
--------PR REMINGTON'S BLUE BABE

---PR DARBY'S TREE THUMPIN HONEY

--------PR CHANCE'S BLUE ROY
-----REMINGTON'S BL. S.R. BB II
--------PR SMOKEY RIVER MAYBLS BB

HOPE THIS HELPS, MY TWISTER FEMALE AND WEZZIE ARE LITTERMATES.

Last edited by nextcoonhunters on 03-21-2018 at 07:39 PM

Old Post 03-21-2018 07:25 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
david woofter
UKC Forum Member

Thanks

Thank You. Dave

Old Post 03-21-2018 10:19 PM
david woofter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for david woofter Click here to Send david woofter a Private Message Click Here to Email david woofter Find more posts by david woofter Add david woofter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Darren

I hope Belle continues to progress for you. I figure that if anyone can get her back on top of her game it will be you. I hope Sledge comes on and does you a good job along with the rest of your hounds. Darren I look forward to getting to hunt with you. Some of this water should be down some in a few more days if we don't get anymore rain. We do have turkey season going on here now, but I usually don't worry about it too much. I know last year we could hunt on private land with a permit, but I don't know how that would work for an out of state hunter. I'll call Game and Fish tomorrow and find out. I know you work so give me a call sometime at your convenience and we will make plans. Take care and good hunting.

Dave-I see that you have already got the answer to your question. I would like to thank Nextcoonhunters for coming on here and giving us that information as he had a lot more information on their pedigree than I would have had.

Nextcoonhunters-I would like to know a little about your Twister female and any more in that litter that you might know of. Thanks and good hunting.

Old Post 03-22-2018 06:10 AM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

HUNT

Thanks Mr Jack, I will give you a shout soon and see if we can work it out. Darren

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 03-22-2018 12:53 PM
Darren Hollis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darren Hollis Click here to Send Darren Hollis a Private Message Click Here to Email Darren Hollis Find more posts by Darren Hollis Add Darren Hollis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke out for another run tonight. Dropped him off on an old slough that runs through a nice hardwood and pine swamp. He struck a good track at about 150 yards and moved it on in to about 200 yards and treed. I walked in to him and he was treed up a good sized hardwood with a lot of vines. The tree was right on the side of a running branch. It was pretty thick in there and I walked around it shinning and didn't see the coon. I walked in and shook a vine and walked back out and looked and he had climbed out on a limb. he still wouldn't look, but I could see the whole coon. Much to Smoke's displeasure we left him to run again. We went back to the 4-wheeler and moved on down the swamp. Smoke struck one off the 4-wheeler and I dropped him off. It was not as good a track as I figured it would be, but he moved it out to about 700 yards and locked up treed. I went around to another woods road and got to within about 50 yards of him and walked on in. He was treed up a hugh oak den tree next to another slough. I shined it a few minutes to make sure he was not on the outside, but I didn't find him. I petted Smoke up some and we walked back to the 4-wheeler and called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-23-2018 at 05:09 AM

Old Post 03-23-2018 04:47 AM
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

WEZZIE

WEZZIE WAS OUT OF ADAM'S CRICKET FEMALE. CRICKET WAS OUT OF THE LITTER LYNOEL CHARLES HAD. IT WAS HER, NITECH BUCK, FAT PATTY, ELBRADER'S LUCY FEMALE, AND A BIGGER DOG NAMED BLUE. AS FAR AS THE LITTER ADAM HAD OUT OF SLIM AND CRICKET, ROCKY HAS WEZZIE, WE BOUGHT TWISTER BACK, THERE IS A FEMALE IN OHIO NAMED CRICKET, AND A FEMALE IN IOWA. I'M NOT SURE OF ANY MALES OUT OF THAT LITTER. THE FEMALES IN IWOA AND OHIO ARE SUPPOUSE TO BE REALLY NICE FEMALES. THE GUY IN OHIO HAD BOUGHT OUR TWISTER FEMALE FROM A GUY DOWN HERE WHEN SHE WAS 2 1/2. HE SAYS THE OTHER FEMALE HE HAS IS NICER THAN HER BUT IF SHE IS SHE MUST BE NICE. MY BOY PUT TWISTERS HTX TITLE ON HER WITH NO PROBLEM AND HAD OFFERS TO SELL HER AT THE END OF 2 OUT 3 OF THOSE NIGHTS. I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES WEZZIE HAS BEEN BRED, CRICKET IN OHIO HAS NEVER BEEN BRED, THE FEMALE IN IOWA I DON'T THINK HAS EVER BEEN BRED, AND TWISTER HAS BEN BRED TWICE NOW. HER FRIST LITTER IS 2 1/2 AND WAS OUT OF SMOKEY RIVER JOE ( TRAMP X RUDY SUE) THE TWO IVE HAD LOOK GOOD BUT ARE SHORTER BUILT DOGS. HER OTHER LITTER IS 14 WEEKS OLD OUT OF HER AND LYNOEL BJ DOG. ADAM HAD BRED HIS CRICKET FEMALE 3 TIMES ONCE TO LYNOEL'S GRUBBY DOG AND TWICE TO SLIM. THE SECOND LITTER OUT OF SLIM WAS SMALL AND I DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF THEM LIVED. 04/09/2009 IS TWISTER'S BRITHDAY. THATS ABOUT ALL I KNOW ABOUT THAT LITTER

Old Post 03-23-2018 10:52 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Nextcoonhunters

Thank you very much for the pedigree and the information on Weezie and her litter mates. I knew most of the dogs in the top part of Smokes Pedigree, but not much about the bottom. This helps out a lot. Thanks again. Jack.

Old Post 03-25-2018 05:02 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Had a good hunt with Smoke last night. Treed 2. The first one was in a hugh Turkey pineI'm sure he had him, but we could not get him to look. The next one he struck at 450 yards and went a long ways. We lost him a couple of times on the garmin. He made a circle and treed a little over 700 yards. We walked in to him and he was treed up a pretty good sized oak. We finally found him and left him to run again. We made our way back to the 4-wheelers and called it a night.

Old Post 03-28-2018 06:07 PM
Scott VH
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Hi Mr. Jack,

Hope everything is going well. I saw where you said Smoke was getting out over 400 yards and you were losing him on the Garmin. I had the same thing with Rock Ann a couple of weeks ago and found out my Garmin needed to be updated. I did and no more problems loosing her on the Garmin at that distance. I guess there was an issue with that and Garmin has a fix you will just need to update it. Hope this works.

Take Care,

Scott

Floyd's Shine On (GrNiteCh Pink Floyd x GrNiteCh Oklahoma Blue Creek)

Gone but not forgotten:
GrNiteCh Mose's Pink Floyd (GrNiteCh Dean's Blue Mose X GrNiteCh B&D's Blue Ruby) Hollis-VH
GrNiteCh GrCh Bullet II's Code Blue Cricket (GrCh GrNiteCh 'PR' Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X NiteCh Ch JJ's Code Blue Jenny)
Ch GrNiteCh Smokey River Blue Tramp II (GrCh GrNiteCh Smokey River Jean's Blue Tramp X Ch NiteCh Misty River Blue Doll IV)
GrNiteCh GrCh Vining's Hammerhead (Dual Grand Twin Springs Runnin Bullet II X Dual Grand Vining Blue Mollie)
GrNiteCh Ch Uchtmans Blue Logan (GrNiteCh Gene's Blue Newton X ChNiteCh Smiley's Blue Lady)
GrNiteCh GrCh Makin' Music Banjo (GrNiteCh Washburn Valley Blue Drip X GrNiteCh GrCh Razor Ridge Unstable Mable)
GrNiteCh. Uncle Pen (GrNiteCh South Shore Drive Blue Kev X GrNiteCh Frosty's Fancy)

Old Post 03-29-2018 12:00 AM
Scott VH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Scott VH Click here to Send Scott VH a Private Message Click Here to Email Scott VH Find more posts by Scott VH Add Scott VH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke out for a run again tonight, We went down toward the river, turned him down a spring fed branch That runs through the swamp. Smoke went in about 100 yards and struck a good track. This was the runningest coon I've been on in a while. He came away from the branch and went out across a field of 10 year old planted pines that's pretty thick, came out close to the river road and ran parallel with it a ways and headed back toward the river. He went on up the swamp close to 800 yards and made a circle and headed back toward the branch up above where Smoke had struck him. Above the road that I come into the swamp on that goes to the river there is another road that is not used anymore and the coverts on it that the branch passes through are almost stopped up and this creates a slough above them. I don't know what the coon did there in those coverts, but Smoke took a couple of minutes there working it out and then headed up the branch. He went up the branch for about 200 yards and locked up treed. I rode around and got to within about 75 yards of him and walked on in. He was treed up a big oak right on the side of the branch. I think this coon knew where he was going all the time as there was a hole about 20 feet up. I still wanted to look and make sure he was on the inside, but the trees here in this part of the country are beginning to load down with leaves and it sure is aggravating trying to shine a tree. I finally give up on him and leashed Smoke and we made our way back to the 4-wheeler. We have a lot going on at church tomorrow so we called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 03-31-2018 at 06:17 AM

Old Post 03-31-2018 05:39 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

I was thinking about not hunting tonight, but I saw on the news tonight that there was some wind and rain coming I the next day or so, so I figured I had better get Smoke out for a run. Sheba 11 is still laid up with a split foot. It's healing, but it's a slow process. Took Smoke down south a few miles to hunt. I figured the water had run down some in there. It has, but there is still a lot in there. Turned him into a oak and Cyprus bottom. It's a good place to hunt in dry weather, but not now. Smoke went in about 100 yards and struck a bad track and moved it on out. I could hear him in the water. He went right up through the middle of the wettest part of it. and made a circle and came back down on the other side of the swamp staying with the water. He was getting close to another woods road about 500 yards in. I rode around on the other road and when I got around there, Smoke had already crossed the road and was 300 yards in. He was getting deeper fast and I didn't have permission to hunt in there, and with Turkey season going on, I figured I had better get Smoke out of there, so I called a couple of times and looked at the Garmin and Smoke was on his way. He came on out and we loaded up and came back to the house. I loaded Smoke back up on the 4-wheeler and we headed for the river. Turned him down a small branch and he went in and struck a hot track and moved it out to about 100 yards and treed. I walked in to him and he was treed up a hugh Turkey pine. I couldn't get him to look from the couple of spots that I could see the tree, so we loaded up and called it a night.

Last edited by Misty river on 04-03-2018 at 06:27 AM

Old Post 04-03-2018 05:53 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Sheba is still laid up with a cut foot, so I took Smoke out again tonight. It's getting pretty late so I want go into all the details of the hunt, but he treed 3 looked at 2 and shot 1 out.

Last edited by Misty river on 04-06-2018 at 06:39 AM

Old Post 04-06-2018 06:28 AM
Darren Hollis
UKC Forum Member

SMOKE

Mr Jack it sure is enjoyable to hunt a consistent every night coon treer. I get excited to see a young dog start putting things together but I sure still enjoy seeing a solid finished dog do good work!! Hope all is well with you! Darren

HOME OF:
(REST IN PEACE)
PR Southern Blue Sam
PR Southern Blue Rattler

Old Post 04-06-2018 02:12 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Sheba 11 is still laid up with her cut foot so I took Smoke out again tonight. Turned him off an old woods road toward a slough. He went in about 150 yards and locked up treed. I walked in to him and he was treed up a hugh Turkey pine. Seems like I'm treeing upa lot of these Turkey pine right now. I figured with the leaves getting on we would be treeing up the oaks more, but not yet. Coons are hard to fine in these turkey pines, as they are always big and a lot of limbs, especially up toward the top. When you do see one in these trees, it is usually only a glance and then you seldom see him anymore. Tonight, I never could get him to look. Me and Smoke loaded up and moved on down toward the river. I cast him south down the river and he went in about 100 yards and struck a cold track. about this time I noticed the sky was getting real dark. Smoke bumped a tree a couple of times and moved on. It started sprinkling rain, so I got him in and loaded up and called it a night.

Darren, I know what you mean about enjoying hunting these trained dogs, but I'm with you on the young dogs. I love to see one when he starts putting it all togeather. I hav'nt had anything here but Smoke and Sheba 11 for a while, but you know how it is with us coonhunters, we can't leave well enough alone, so I went and got me a pup. It's only weaning age so it will be a while before it's ready to go to the woods. I sure enjoy reading yours and Scott's hunts. you guys seem to be putting togeather a nice kennel of dogs. good luck and good hunting.

Old Post 04-10-2018 06:10 AM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke out again last night, cast him off an old woods road down a drain, He went in about 100 yards and struck a pretty good track, moved it on in another 75 yards and treed. Smoke's voice is sure getting hoarse. He didn't even sound like himself by the time I got to him. He was treed up a big oak and It was so thick you could not see the tree. I leashed Smoke and we made our way back to the 4-wheeler and moved on down the swamp. I cast him down a slough and he went in about 150 yards and struck. He moved it on in another 200 yards and treed. He was on the other side of the slough, so I went around on another woods road and got within about 100 yards of him and walked on in. It was pretty thick in there where he was at. He was treed up a smaller tree. It went up about 20 feet and leaned over in the limbs of a big pine and with all the other trees you could not see 20 feet up the pine. With all the leaves on it is going to be just about impossible to find a coon. Smoke's voice was just about gone when I got him out of there. We called it a night.

Old Post 04-12-2018 07:41 PM
Misty river
UKC Forum Member

Smoke

Took Smoke out for a run tonight. cast him down a drain that runs through the swamp. After that almost 4 inches of rain last week end. There sure is a lot of water in there tonight. Smoke went in about 100 yards and locked up treed. I walked in to him and he was treed up a pretty good sized oak tree. There were two trees there growing about a foot apart, one was larger than the other one. He was treed on the smaller one. The coon could have swapped trees most anywhere, so I just figured he was in the bigger tree. I didn't see him a first so I walked in and shook a vine and walked back out and there he was looking at me about 3/4 up the smaller tree. I cast smoke on down the drain and he went in another 400 yards and struck a bad track. He was in a lot of water so I finally called him out and we called it a night

Old Post 04-19-2018 06:23 AM