UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Off Topic > The Gardening Thread
Pages (18): « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Glad he got it plowed and maybe the deer will share just a little. At least you don't have to look far to fill the freezer in the fall lol.
My garden is looking good this year minus the peppers. We got an inch and a half of much needed rain Monday night. It always amazes me how much plants grow in such a short time after a good rain. Peppers 😑... I planted all sorts of peppers and all but one chili plant look horrible! Growth is stunted and they are around 8" tall. At first I thought Chey was over watering them so I had him cut back, they looked worse. They are on the south side of the house in a nice sunny location, last year planted near the same spot and did great. I've got to do some checking on what nutrients they may be missing if anyone has any ideas let me know. I plan on fertilizing everything this weekend and I've got a few tomatoes that still need mulched.
Tar told me he has big green tomatoes already, jealous! Mine are just starting to bloom and I noticed a few tiny ones just starting.
The stinking Japanese beetles are back right on schedule so part of every evening is spent hand picking them off Cheyenne's flowers, lucky for me they don't bother most garden plants but do like okra so I will have to watch it.
Happy gardening everyone!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-14-2018 05:26 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Still have nothing planted. There's been a doe in the orchard almost every evening eating any fruit that falls. Hope she leaves the blueberries alone, we have alot of them this yr.
Chuck mowed hay today and we saw a fawn that looked confused. It must have been use to being in the field alot. It would come out of our pines into the field and look around then go back into the pines. It did that at least a half doz times in a half hr, it was probably wondering what happened to all the deep grass.
I usually have pretty decent peppers, if the deer don't get them. One yr, they were huge and I had a bunch so I was selling them. I woman and her son (probably about 8 yo) came to get some. He couldn't get over how big they were, I told him it was from planting them in lots of horse manure....not sure he will ever eat another pepper. My friend told me her Amish neighbors had nice peppers last yr, they told her what they used. I'll find out what it was when she gets home from vacation.

Old Post 06-15-2018 04:45 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thanks Rex Ridge they are still little mutant plants. I picked all the blooms off them yesterday they are still only about 8" tall. Strange thing is that there are several kinds. I had high hopes of making pepper jelly again this year, it's my favorite glaze for pork chops.

My littlest garden helper Addilyn Marie. I haven't ever got the tomatoes on the outside of the garden fence munched and the grandkids are having a ball digging in the dirt.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-20-2018 04:14 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Jen, u have a cute little helper.
My friend uses fish oil true on her peppers. She bought it at TSC.

Chuck has to have back surgery so he said "no garden this yr". Doubt we'd get anything anyways. The deer are here day and night. 3 does and 3 fawns went through the back yd this afternoon. A few minutes later, 2 doe were eating apples along the lane,then about 6pm, a doe and buck were in the orchard. The buck was standing on his back legs eating apples off the tree.
Hope they stick around for hunting season.

Old Post 06-28-2018 04:54 AM
Rex Ridge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rex Ridge Click here to Send Rex Ridge a Private Message Find more posts by Rex Ridge Add Rex Ridge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Been canning green beans all day. Ya know, sometimes I do miss my wife. lol

Old Post 06-28-2018 08:11 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

It's nice to be appreciated 😃

Old Post 06-28-2018 08:44 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
Been canning green beans all day. Ya know, sometimes I do miss my wife. lol

Snip & snap, like to have a dollar for every hour I've spent doing that!
We've been gone most of the week so I'm going to have plenty of work to do tomorrow. My daughter has been holding down the home front and said everything is looking good after a good rain on Tuesday. I'm hoping the blackberries aren't burnt up they were just starting to ripen when we left. It's been hot all week.
Thanks for the info on the peppers and I hope all goes well for Chuck's surgery. I've been seeing one doe and her fawn in the edge of my yard lately. Hopefully she doesn't find the garden and bring friends! I must be raising naturally straight pups right now lol.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-01-2018 02:16 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Late last week we had a microburst storm hit, it was small in size but powerful winds, rain and hail came with it. We had needed the rain but over several hours not in 30min like it came down. The hail tore my garden up bad! I had been so proud of my little organic garden that was having it's best year yet. Tomatoes that were on the vine had holes knocked in them and many of the vines were broke. The cucumber and squash plants leaves are shreaded. I spent hours Sunday pruning and trimming off broken leaves and stems what is left looks healthy so hopefully there is enough summer left that some of them will still produce. I had been thinking of doing some pruning on the squash but not quite to the extent I had to. Luckily the corn at Mom's was about done making because most of it was blow over by the wind and she did not get the hail we got here so the rest of her garden is still in good shape. I've got enough cucumber that I'm going to start making pickles this afternoon.
My daughter Ashton got a new pacemaker last Wednesday, the first one of it's kind to be implanted at our hospital in Joplin. It's completely wireless and has been implanted in the right atrium of her heart. The old pacemakers are placed in a pocket in the chest and wire leads go into the heart. This one has tiny hooks that attach it to the inner walls of her heart and it's ran off a lithium battery that should last into the teens as opposed to a few years so it should last her well into 30's. It's only been out of clinical trial for around a year and a half. We are praying that this helps prevent the unthinkable that is the risk everytime her heart has long pauses during syncope episodes. She has recovered well and went back to work for 1/2 a day today and has a follow-up appointment tomorrow. Keep her in your prayers.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-17-2018 07:11 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Prayer for your daughter. Love and faith go a long way.
Hate your garden got torn up. A wet spring got everything a little late here but it has turned dry and now everything has started coming in at one time. Cukes and squash have about played out and Tar talked me into bushhogging the bean patch and planting some fall beets. Never grown any before but found a lady that offered to pickle them on halves. Tried to make the same deal on okra but she said she couldn't handle them so I'm going to try my luck. Dry weather has my ambrosia cantaloupes ripening all at once. Have gave friends and family some so now I'm going to pick today and make a round and try to get some seed and fertilizer money back. A yearly thing and people are waiting on me. These things are so good it's a wonder they aren't illegal.
My rabbit hunting buddy who's 81 yrs old has a girlfriend (believe it) that said if she had some blueberries she would make us some pies so yesterday I hit the local blueberry farm. Hope to be walking around with blue teeth soon.
Wishing everyone the best!

Old Post 07-18-2018 01:09 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Sorry about your garden, Jen.
Praying that Ashton does well with her new pacemaker. Since I was dx with Parkinsons, I've been reading about it. One of my drs mentioned getting DBS. It takes a battery, they're starting to use rechargable batteries.
An Amish buggy just pulled in, they're here for blueberries. The birds and critters have been getting more than their fair share. Chuck took the shotgun out on Sunday and got a few birds. He had back surgery on Monday, he won't be doing much for awhile. He did ask if he could go to a water race on Saturday☺ The dr said he could as long as he laid the seat back and got out and walked a couple of times on the way...its a 2 hr drive.

Old Post 07-18-2018 04:36 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

The Amish got 20 qt of blueberries yesterday. Another Amish couple came today, not sure how many they got. I went riding and Chuck wasn't sure he'd be awake so we told them I'd settle up with them later. He's a harness maker so I usually go over a few times in the summer to have him repair my tack.

Old Post 07-20-2018 04:57 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Thank you both for the prayers she/we appreciate all.
Yadkinriver that dang Tar needs to start his own label of beets to market! I hope your crop comes up good. I'm not big on cantaloupe but the rest of my family loves it. If my tomatoes don't start looking better since that storm I may have to pull them up and start my own fall crop of beets. The cucumbers are blooming again and have lots of new growth so I think they will be OK. I lost most of the squash except for a couple plants and luckily they are looking pretty good. 81 and has a girlfriend lol good for him!
We've gotten several rains this past week and everything has greened back up. The farmers are all hoping to get a good second cutting of hay, the first wasn't very good. Chey has been mowing 2x a week. We have to keep it short so the snakes can't hide! We've killed 9 copperheads in the yard so far. I haven't seen any the last several days so hopefully they are gone for the summer.
Rex Ridge we have one friend who has the device you mentioned it was supposed to help with his seizures but I'm not sure how much it has helped. He doesn't have Parkinson's but some other rare disorder that causes seizures and extreme headaches. I think he is about to give up on modern meds and has resorted to "smoking" alot lol. Sounds like you must have a good crop of blueberries this year! Tell Chuck he's got a Mo girl thinking of him and praying for a quick recovery!
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-23-2018 04:50 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Thanks Jen, he's doing better. He has a drs appt tomorrow to see how he's doing and to probably get the 13 staples out of back.

A woman came today to get blueberries, she only got 6 qt. There are lots left, she's coming back Wed for more. Noticed walking through the orchard that the Lodi apples are rotting on the tree. The cherries and plums fell off while they were still green. Nor having a very good fruit yr except for the blueberries.
There were 3 does, a buck and 4 fawns eating apples along the lane last night...Chuck is glad we didn't waste time and $ planting a garden. We might have had our last garden last yr.

Old Post 07-23-2018 07:21 PM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Glad he is doing better! Not much worse than trying to be a nurse for a husband when they are down or sick, most are not the most cooperative patients lol.
I noticed the abandoned house at the end of our lane apple trees were loaded. I'm going to get some when they ripen and Dalt will gather the bad ones for his deer hunting spot. Speaking of deer, we've had a doe and her fawn living pretty close to the house this year. Cheyenne heard a ruckus over the weekend in the woods right behind the house she had one of the half grown pups down and was raring up on her hind legs and coming down stomping on him. Chey was trying to come to his rescue and she kept at it even after being shot with a pellet gun until Ol Red took after her in a deer race. The pup must have been way to close to that fawn! I may want to rethink that salt block I put out for her lol.
Next year you need to just get a few tractor tires or maybe even some supplement tubs to plant a few of your favorites in if you forgo the big garden again. No maintenance other than watering them.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 07-24-2018 05:16 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

A couple of yrs ago, our rat terrier thought she was going to chase a fawn out of the yd, the doe chased her right to the backdoor. I can hear Chuck now...."nothing more to mow around"
He got staples out and was told to take it easy for the next 2 wks until the dr sees him again. Chuck asked if he could go fishing...yes that was fine. He asked if he could mow the yd. The dr told him yes as long as he sat on a cushion and rested every 5-10 minutes. I looked at the dr and told him we probably mow 3 or 4 acres, tell him "no" He's too bored, he ran the weedeater and we took turns mowing today. I told him to go fishing tonight, but his back hurt too bad....go figure.
Hope ur getting lots out of ur gardens. The birds are really getting after our blueberries. They probably have as many on the ground as are on the bushes.

Old Post 07-27-2018 06:22 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

I've had the 2019 garden in since around the 1st of May and haven't had to water anything yet lol!
Everything is starting to finally look pretty good after a really slow start because of too much rain. Usually by around the 4th of July we get our first picking of a few ears of young corn as of right now it's about knee high, the tomatoes are around the same.
I'm going to try something different with my cucumbers this year. I've seen arches made out of panels so I'm going to arch one over my little garden instead of just letting them climb the fence. You can just walk under and pick. It was getting in shabby shape after being up for years. I've got some beets and herbs planted in front of the cucumbers so as they grow the arch will provide some shade for things that prefer it. My okra plants kept getting pounded by the rain when young and I am down to one healthy plant which won't do much good so I may try one more planting on them. The squash and zucchini seem to be the only thing that has loved the wet weather and they look great and un-stunted in growth.
I just installed a long narrow pallet on the ground that the grandkids new swingset box was on. I put newspaper on the ground and then filled with dirt. It will be used for alternate planting for lettuce.
Happy gardening this year! And fill us in on any new ideas and updates on your own.
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-20-2019 06:21 PM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

No garden again this yr. Threw some squash seeds in with my flowers, they're up. Have blueberries, but not many, same with the orchard. Just not a good yr.

Old Post 06-21-2019 04:24 AM
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

RR you need a container garden on your porch maybe. I need to plant some fruit around here. All the picking we do is in the wild. Good news is the blackberries are liking all the rain. Just a few are starting to turn.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-21-2019 04:42 AM
oklared
UKC Forum Member

I WANT SOME TOMATO'S

HOME OF 2010 HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE, DUAL CH Y2KD, #7 REPRODUCING RED FEMALE
NT.Ch. WINNER AT REDBONE SEC. 2008
3RD PL. NT.CH. 2009 BATTLE OF BREEDS AT ADA OKLA.
4TH PLACE R.Q.E 2010
2ND PLACE OVERALL AT ZONE 4 AND DOUBLE CAST WINNER 2010
WENT TO 2010 WORLD HUNT
AMERICAN REDBONE ASSOCIATION HIGH SCOREING REDBONE FEMALE OF THE 2010 WORLD HUNT
OVERALL HI SCOREING DOG AT 2010 BBCHA BLUE TIC SECTIONAL
GR.NT.CH. AT 12 and A HALF
MADE-EM SEE RED

Old Post 06-21-2019 03:05 PM
oklared is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oklared Click here to Send oklared a Private Message Click Here to Email oklared Find more posts by oklared Add oklared to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

These things produce you can have some.

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-21-2019 09:30 PM
yadkintar
Banned

Mine are not ripe yet I usually plant early girls and I would have had tomatoes by now. But they were out and I got super fantastic they take longer to ripen we got two the other day boy they were good I got 23 plants out and they are loaded. Already eating squash. I just buy okra now I get it all at once cut it up and in the freezer it goes.

Tar

Old Post 06-21-2019 11:23 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

I miss good tomatoes, too. Chuck's dad has quite a few planted, maybe we can get some from him IF he gets any. I didn't see any blossoms on his plants about 2 wks ago.
I did get asparagus this year. Ate it every couple of days until we got tired of it.

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:21 AM
Nathan Harder
UKC Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yadkintar
[B]Mine are not ripe yet I usually plant early girls and I would have had tomatoes by now. But they were out and I got super fantastic they take longer to ripen we got two the other day boy they were good I got 23 plants out and they are loaded. Already eating squash. I just buy okra now I get it all at once cut it up and in the freezer it goes.

I had them early girls a couple years ago. Just didn't have the flavor I was looking for. Stick with Big Boys and heirlooms.

Iraq War Vet 03-04, 05-06
RECON
618-410-3034

Old Post 06-28-2019 05:47 AM
Nathan Harder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nathan Harder Click here to Send Nathan Harder a Private Message Click Here to Email Nathan Harder Find more posts by Nathan Harder Add Nathan Harder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

When I get home will list the different varieties I've got planted, I can't remember off the top of my head and Iwill track the best producers for our area. The rain had everything a little stunted but it's all starting to take off. It has rained and rained this year here Sunday Seneca had major flooding and the several of the fences at the ball park our club house sits at are down again but luckily only enough to get the floor wet got in our building.
I picked a few of my arch enemies the Japanese beetles off Chey's roses Wednesday and a few squash bugs off the bases of the squash. I found some small snails on them too which I never have before I guess it is just the wet weather. I didn't have time to treat anything before I left and being antipesticide hopefully it will all be alive when I get home. We are on a coonhunting/road trip vacation right now and I'm positive my niece house sitting won't be tending to the garden much less picking bugs off of flowers lol.
From a dirt road somewhere in PA,
Jen

"TEAM MAFIA"

RIP

Old Post 06-29-2019 06:06 AM
Rex Ridge
UKC Forum Member

Where in PA? You might be in my neck of the woods.

Old Post 07-02-2019 03:09 PM