UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Big or little hound
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Big or little hound

Pro's and con's of 60 lb hound versus 75 lb. I've always like the smaller dog but I may be wrong in my thinking.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-30-2021 11:53 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Well to say I changed my way of thinking on this is an understatement. I always liked a bigger dog. Bildo was 85 lbs hunted down and trimmed. He moved around good for his size. But he couldn't take the 5-7 nights a week for months I was hunting when I had him. On the other side of this my current gyp is 35-37 lbs trimmed. She can handle more hunting than I'm willing to do. Both dogs were/are build right for their size but I've found the bigger dogs can have joint problems easier and faster then the smaller dogs. And joint problems effect the dogs later in life. And I honestly prefer a 45-50 lbs female or a 55-60 lbs Male.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 01-31-2021 12:40 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

It depends on how they are built. My best overall coondog was 56lbs, a male. He could get in and out of the timber easy and fast. The bad, seemed like if there was a mean male in the cast, they would pick him to bully every time. He wouldn't fight and would come to me everytime he got chewed up. Saw a dog rip his ear off right in front of the cast once ( the vet was able to sew it back on). My best comp dog was 76lbs healthy and 72lbs in hunt shape. But he was tall and lean, like a race horse. He was super fast and like to show that off. He would go around brush not through it. They both could handle night after night hunting and the heat. Now my mom has the 90lb big boys, and they have a ton of issues.

Old Post 01-31-2021 12:53 PM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

I've always found medium to smaller dogs handled heat and fences better. Females 45-55 males 60-70. I have two younguns here now that seem like they're gonna be bigger dogs. Female weighed 53 lbs on vets scale at 4 1/2 months. And she's the little one. Wild looking units....red dogs with black faces....chrome on the grill and all four wheels.

Pandemic pups 😉

Old Post 01-31-2021 05:35 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Roy Grant
UKC Forum Member

There is NO wrong size if they are a good one.

Old Post 01-31-2021 07:04 PM
Roy Grant is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Roy Grant Click here to Send Roy Grant a Private Message Click Here to Email Roy Grant Find more posts by Roy Grant Add Roy Grant to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
benderb4
Banned

I like the 50-55 lb
Easier to handle and don't eat as much

TRUTH IS TREASON IN AN EMPIRE OF LIES...G. Orwell
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT TELLS YOU...G. Carlin
ONLY THOSE WHO HAVE SOMETHING TO HIDE WORK RELENTLESSLY TO CENSOR THOSE WHO SPEAK THE TRUTH...Ron DeSantis

Old Post 01-31-2021 10:40 PM
benderb4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for benderb4 Find more posts by benderb4 Add benderb4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

If everything else equal other than size, there is not positive to owning a larger dog.

Old Post 02-01-2021 05:03 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

I am on a lion hunting group on fb, a guy was talking about dry ground lion hunting, he hunted off mules/horses, made the comment he liked a smaller/medium sized dog because he didn’t have to pack as much water to keep smaller dogs watered. When you think about it, a larger dog does tend to have more up keep.

Old Post 02-01-2021 08:38 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I like medium sized dogs if 63- 70 is medium..
Females 50 - 60 lbs...

Males...they might not be the quickest but they are quick...while I don’t like face barkers nor I’ll dogs if one of those type jumps on one of my males I expect my dog to do some whuppin on that dog...in a perfect world my dog would defend himself and get back to his job but my dogs aren’t that well mannered...

I don’t know the exact weight or shoulder height but once a dog reaches that I see it as something negative even though they can be excellent dogs...

Like already mentioned...big dogs usually eat more and that equals to more clean up not to mention higher expenses...

Old Post 02-01-2021 09:30 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote