UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > VALBAZEN (wormer)
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Strongid g or even in generic is what I have used for 30 years or so...pyrantal pamoate is the active ingredient...horse wormer in tube that treats 1200 pounds...I usually give double per dog and only do it once but repeat in 10 days to get the newly hatched worm larvae...this should be done with all wormers...repeat worming in ten days to break worm cycle...

Ivomec I use as Pat uses it... 2 cc’s (mils) per 50 pound dog every 2 months but year round...also use for ear mites if needed but give it once and then a week later...normally I use the ivermectin in 1200 pound horse tube form (Paste) and again I use generic or buy on sale...I like the price and it is 1.87 percent ivermectin instead of 1 percent in liquid form...

Praziquantel for tapes...I used to buy it for fish wormer and then used it on my dogs...I always am looking at the active ingredients in new wormers and I found a new wormer at TSC feed store...again for horse in a 1200 pound tube...QUEST PLUS gel...active ingredients...moxidectin/praziquantel...this is a little more expensive but well worth the money...have used it once already for tapes and worked great...as usual I use 1.5 times what it calls for...tapes only need one treatment...I just wait until I see one dog with a few in the stool and then I worm all for tapes at that time

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2017 01:39 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Patrick Moore
UKC Forum Member

For me, the best wormer on the market is Drontal Plus. It is a little expensive from your vet but you can obtain a generic on eBay, Amazon, or from Eisenhut dog supply. Drontal Plus gets all intestinal worms and it's a one-day treatment.
I do rotate worming's about every 3-4 months using Drontal one time then the next time I will do the 3-day treatment of Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The Safeguard is dosed at 1 cc per 5 lbs of body weight, given orally for 3 days in a row.
I only use ivomec as a heartworm preventative - 1/10cc per 10 lbs of weight given once a month.
This has worked for me for over 20 years.

Old Post 12-20-2017 03:26 PM
Patrick Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Patrick Moore Click here to Send Patrick Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Patrick Moore Find more posts by Patrick Moore Add Patrick Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hat creek mac
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Patrick Moore
For me, the best wormer on the market is Drontal Plus. It is a little expensive from your vet but you can obtain a generic on eBay, Amazon, or from Eisenhut dog supply. Drontal Plus gets all intestinal worms and it's a one-day treatment.
I do rotate worming's about every 3-4 months using Drontal one time then the next time I will do the 3-day treatment of Safeguard liquid goat wormer. The Safeguard is dosed at 1 cc per 5 lbs of body weight, given orally for 3 days in a row.
I only use ivomec as a heartworm preventative - 1/10cc per 10 lbs of weight given once a month.
This has worked for me for over 20 years.

I do a very similar treatment. I use the Safeguard goat wormer, dosed the same as you described. Every 3 or 4 months I use the fish tapes capsule. I also give Ivomec 1/10 cc per 10 pound once a month...give under the skin. I have never squirted it down their mouth. Been doing this since ivomec first came out.

I will share a horror story about Valbazen. I used it for several years. I had several beagles years ago. Wormed one of them that was bred by accident when I was worming all my dogs. This female had pups that were severely deformed. I went back and read the bottle. "do not give to bred ewes" which it is labeled as a cattle, sheep, and goat wormer. I have never used it since. The safeguard wormer works good for me. I like the liquid goat form....easier to get the correct doseage.

I have never used the Drontal, but would like to try it.

I am a firm believer that Ivomec is good for heartworms and nothing else. If you want to rid a dog of intestinal worms, treat with something else.

I do use the Strongid, but only on newborn puppies.

Old Post 12-20-2017 04:28 PM
hat creek mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hat creek mac Click here to Send hat creek mac a Private Message Click Here to Email hat creek mac Find more posts by hat creek mac Add hat creek mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote