UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Harassed threatened by Ohio State park officer
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

Harassed threatened by Ohio State park officer

I got threatened off off public land. I took vacation today to get to hunt last night. Just minutes after starting first drop at one of the state park public hunting areas where I have hunted hundreds of times over many years and the park officer pulls in behind us. Never actually ran into one at this place before.

Immediately he starts in on a lecture on Ohio leash law and warns and threatens about what the laws are and how the dogs are only aloud off leash on designated public hunting area. Going on and on about the large number of recent complaints and so on and so forth. So saying it without saying it, one wrong step and we were getting the hammer. I have hunted the area for years including four or five times this season. I have never had so much as a single issue before until he threatens me last night.

This really sux because I loved hunting there and now there is no way I would go back.

Home of
Nt. Ch. PKC CH. Novak's Easy Flo IV

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-13-2018 02:19 AM
dropthetailgate is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dropthetailgate Click here to Send dropthetailgate a Private Message Click Here to Email dropthetailgate Visit dropthetailgate's homepage! Find more posts by dropthetailgate Add dropthetailgate to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

So ? Who's right ? Illegal or not ?

Old Post 01-13-2018 02:50 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Re: Harassed threatened by Ohio State park officer

quote:
Originally posted by dropthetailgate
I got threatened off off public land...... So saying it without saying it, one wrong step and we were getting the hammer......

What did he threaten to do to you?

From reading your post, it sounds like you thought you were about to get your head cracked open.

Did you tell him you thought you were in the designated hunting area was or ask him where it was?

If I was not was not in a legal hunting area, I would have told him "sorry thought I was legal". Gathered the dogs up, loaded them and moved to the designated hunting area.

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:00 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

He quite clearly won in my case because I'll not be going back. Legal or illegal.

Home of

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:01 AM
dropthetailgate is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dropthetailgate Click here to Send dropthetailgate a Private Message Click Here to Email dropthetailgate Visit dropthetailgate's homepage! Find more posts by dropthetailgate Add dropthetailgate to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

We were well within boundaries of public hunting grounds he made no physical threats just warned us we would be subject to repercussions if he got called out on us or caught our dogs off the hunting property boundary. Let us know he didn't want us there at all

Home of

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:07 AM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

quote:
He quite clearly won in my case because I'll not be going back. Legal or illegal.

Don't let that one incident stop you. If you love hunting there, make sure you are in the designated hunting area and you have your license on your person. If you're legal there is nothing he can do.

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:12 AM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

Yeah I know but I'll be worried now the dogs would get on a neighbors now or into a non hunt area. At least if that same guys on duty.

Home of

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:15 AM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

quote:
We were well within boundaries of public hunting grounds he made no physical threats just warned us we would be subject to repercussions if he got called out on us or caught our dogs off the hunting property boundary. Let us know he didn't want us there at all

Sounds like the park ranger was butt sore for having to check on complaints.

I would go to the park and have a talk with the supervisor. I'd be bound and determined to hunt there now.

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:20 AM
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yeah I know but I'll be worried now the dogs would get on a neighbors now or into a non hunt area. At least if that same guys on duty.

I understand what you're saying.

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:22 AM
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by ringtail
Sounds like the park ranger was butt sore for having to check on complaints.

I would go to the park and have a talk with the supervisor. I'd be bound and determined to hunt there now.

x2 sounds like the game wardens make a law up to plese them at the moment

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:27 AM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

I don't really hardly even believe the guy and that there have been complaints. It's a big area and I can't think of more than twice the dogs got out of pocket over the years. And the neighbors I have run into over the years was super nice.

Home of

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:28 AM
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

Three words stand out to me . State , public and PARK . Ohio may be different but around here the word "Park" almost always means no hunting.
If you're in the right roast him !

Old Post 01-13-2018 03:43 AM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:

I would make sure I was legal and hunt there every single night I could.

I will not be bullied.

That will only hurt our sport.

Do what's right, stay legal, but stand your ground.

Old Post 01-13-2018 04:53 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

It sounds like he is a bully. And you have to stand up to a bully. He is also just lazy and doesn't want to get any late night phone calls. You should start calling and complaining about someone spotlighting deer late every night so that he has to get up and go out.

Old Post 01-13-2018 02:35 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

First of all , it is his job to check complaints. If he doesn't want to do his job, that's not your fault. If it's legal to hunt it, I would hunt it all you want. I get run around at times to on public ground. Every time there is a issue they act like I'm in the wrong for being out at night. From my contact with Ohio law enforcement they are not for the hound men. Mostly in for helping the deer hunters.......

Old Post 01-13-2018 05:22 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

Id just got home last Saturday from TN and decided to go over to OH to a hunt, we got sent to state ground ( RUSH RUN ) and about 500 yards down off one of the trails a dog got caught in a foot trap !! Sounds like they need to put the same effort to others using that ground besides the Houndsmen.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 01-13-2018 05:36 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by jkidd1
Id just got home last Saturday from TN and decided to go over to OH to a hunt, we got sent to state ground ( RUSH RUN ) and about 500 yards down off one of the trails a dog got caught in a foot trap !! Sounds like they need to put the same effort to others using that ground besides the Houndsmen.

Around here the warden's are bigger poachers and trespassers than anyone. And possibly the warden has traps out on the park and wants to be the big hero for trapping it not the coonhunters that actually can produce animals.

Old Post 01-13-2018 06:08 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bobbijo3456
UKC Forum Member

Game Warden

Call up to Columbus and make a complaint.I had to do so
Because of a foul mouthed warden.They will ask what area
You were hunting.If you know roughly what time.They are
pretty quick to get it resolved.

'PR'ADKINS BLUE DOG ANNIE
'PR'BRAGGS FATBOY (RIP)

Old Post 01-13-2018 06:39 PM
bobbijo3456 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bobbijo3456 Click here to Send bobbijo3456 a Private Message Find more posts by bobbijo3456 Add bobbijo3456 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

It made me feel pretty defeated. I will try to talk myself into calling the park office Monday and see what kind of response I get.

Home of

Old Post 01-13-2018 09:48 PM
jawscardodger
UKC Forum Member

If your not going to hunt there anymore post where it is.Maybe a few guys could go there and hunt every cell phone as a video camera

Last edited by jawscardodger on 01-13-2018 at 10:02 PM

Old Post 01-13-2018 09:59 PM
jawscardodger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jawscardodger Click here to Send jawscardodger a Private Message Click Here to Email jawscardodger Find more posts by jawscardodger Add jawscardodger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
houndsound
UKC Forum Member

Re: Harassed threatened by Ohio State park officer

quote:
I got threatened off off public land. I took vacation today to get to hunt last night. Just minutes after starting first drop at one of the state park public hunting areas where I have hunted hundreds of times over many years and the park officer pulls in behind us. Never actually ran into one at this place before.

Immediately he starts in on a lecture on Ohio leash law and warns and threatens about what the laws are and how the dogs are only aloud off leash on designated public hunting area. Going on and on about the large number of recent complaints and so on and so forth. So saying it without saying it, one wrong step and we were getting the hammer. I have hunted the area for years including four or five times this season. I have never had so much as a single issue before until he threatens me last night.

This really sux because I loved hunting there and now there is no way I would go back.

I am a bit confused.. what was the threat? If he contacted you and reminded you of the laws of that area... not really a threat?
When you say "saying it without saying it" that's a pretty tough standard for anyone to really comment on. You are really saying how he made you feel... this could have little to do with his actions or intentions.

Old Post 01-14-2018 12:17 AM
houndsound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for houndsound Click here to Send houndsound a Private Message Click Here to Email houndsound Find more posts by houndsound Add houndsound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

State Park

I would not let a park ranger, run me out, if i was hunting legally. I'll come up and we'll go hunt there, i would have called his supervisor, assp. Cause when the season is in, you are allowed to hunt in certain areas, not all but certain areas. Now, when the season, goes out or on sunday, you can't hunt, on state parks on a sunday. But when it's legal take season, and not on sunday, you can.

Old Post 01-14-2018 02:58 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hillbilly56
UKC Forum Member

a park we ride horses in allows hunting not sure on the the time & acreage that is involved but im sure it's quite a bit have never try it because of being 2 hrs away

Old Post 01-14-2018 01:38 PM
hillbilly56 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hillbilly56 Click here to Send hillbilly56 a Private Message Click Here to Email hillbilly56 Find more posts by hillbilly56 Add hillbilly56 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lking
UKC Forum Member

permission

Have you ever simply asked the neighbors for permission to hunt their land as well?

If it was Madison Lake State Park then, I believe, you were illegal if I read Ohio regs correctly.

Last edited by lking on 01-14-2018 at 03:09 PM

Old Post 01-14-2018 03:05 PM
lking is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lking Click here to Send lking a Private Message Click Here to Email lking Find more posts by lking Add lking to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dropthetailgate
UKC Forum Member

Once again we did nothing illegal. We were 3 minutes into our hunt on public hunt area when the guy pulled up and begins a lecture warning us about leash law and how we are responsible for dogs actions if they get on a non legal hunting property such as a neighbors. He did so in an attempt to intimidate us from hunting there and it worked in my case. I left. End of story. I'll call Monday and see what the park office has to say.

Home of

Old Post 01-14-2018 04:40 PM