UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > HOW do they do it?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hoosier
UKC Forum Member

HOW do they do it?

It always amazes me during this time of year that coon can find and destroy a row or 2 of sweet corn and not bother the 200-300 acres of field corn around it. It's ALL corn right? Does sweet corn smell that much different than field corn?

How do they know? How do they find it? They always know and they always do.

How do coon noses compare to a dog or a deer or a bear?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-03-2020 08:58 PM
Hoosier is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hoosier Click here to Send Hoosier a Private Message Click Here to Email Hoosier Find more posts by Hoosier Add Hoosier to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ridgerunner1988
UKC Forum Member

A coon has a very strong nose just like a deer or a bear do, the sweet corn has a stronger sweeter smell than the field corn does and they can smell it from a mile or further away.

Old Post 08-03-2020 09:29 PM
Ridgerunner1988 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ridgerunner1988 Click here to Send Ridgerunner1988 a Private Message Find more posts by Ridgerunner1988 Add Ridgerunner1988 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

Re: HOW do they do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Hoosier
It always amazes me during this time of year that coon can find and destroy a row or 2 of sweet corn and not bother the 200-300 acres of field corn around it. It's ALL corn right? Does sweet corn smell that much different than field corn?

How do they know? How do they find it? They always know and they always do.

How do coon noses compare to a dog or a deer or a bear?

My Grandpa used to sell sweetcorn.Said they know when it's ripe and hit it hard.Had to put 2 rows electric fence around it.Heard them running away snorting,growling every night once ripe.
Deer would jump in a sometimes tear it down too.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 08-03-2020 09:50 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
qchounds
UKC Forum Member

I tried roasting an ear of field corn one time.... Never again LOL I bet the coons say the same thing. And the coons always seemed 2 get to the Sweet corn just days before it is ready to be picked...

Old Post 08-04-2020 03:28 PM
qchounds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for qchounds Click here to Send qchounds a Private Message Click Here to Email qchounds Find more posts by qchounds Add qchounds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

I have ate field corn before. Needs to be real young, milk stage but it's not very sweet

Old Post 08-05-2020 12:59 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

All corn is different. Have you ever noticed coon or deer eating hard on 1 field but not another. On our farm we get a lot of crop damage so we pay close attention to the variety of corn we choose to plant or where we plant certain varieties.

Old Post 08-05-2020 01:04 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
All corn is different. Have you ever noticed coon or deer eating hard on 1 field but not another. On our farm we get a lot of crop damage so we pay close attention to the variety of corn we choose to plant or where we plant certain varieties.

Around me coon won't touch seed corn.The kind where they mow or detassel it and have 2 male row every 6-8 rows.....But ,they will tear up standard field corn.

Friend of mine is field manager for seed corn co.Said they put all kinds of chemical products on the seed before planting.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Last edited by 4play on 08-05-2020 at 03:15 PM

Old Post 08-05-2020 03:11 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mountaincur
UKC Forum Member

I don't know the exact scientific answer to how they do it, but it amazes me. I work part time for a sweet corn/produce farmer. I trap as much as my schedule allows, and every year I catch a bunch of critters off his farm. I have caught 14 raccoons in the last 9 days. One family of coons can do terrible damage to the fields in one night.

' Pr' Cash's Berning Ring Of Fire

Old Post 08-07-2020 02:26 AM
mountaincur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mountaincur Click here to Send mountaincur a Private Message Click Here to Email mountaincur Find more posts by mountaincur Add mountaincur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote