UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Hybrid vigor ?
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Take 2 separate lines of the same breed, bred each one heavily on there certain traits and keep it tight, when you have a consistent product and they are breeding true to there line, Cross with the other line to combine the traits.
This is why you see wonderful lines of hounds in the 60s and 70s then the crosses.( YadkinRiver x House) example.
* Very few are willing to put the time in for this 😊

"Life is short boys, Hunt an intelligent hound"

Born in sin, convicted by the Word, saved by Grace.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-13-2019 11:55 AM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Don’t let people lie to you, if they are good stock and are free of health defects inbreeding the best to the best will set the traits of a line of hounds.
Today people think half brother to half sister is taboo....lol
Allot of old time good breeders in dogs would not do it any other way. Family lines is how you keep them strong.

Old Post 12-13-2019 12:05 PM
CONRAD FRYAR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CONRAD FRYAR Click here to Send CONRAD FRYAR a Private Message Click Here to Email CONRAD FRYAR Find more posts by CONRAD FRYAR Add CONRAD FRYAR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by CONRAD FRYAR
Don’t let people lie to you, if they are good stock and are free of health defects inbreeding the best to the best will set the traits of a line of hounds.
Today people think half brother to half sister is taboo....lol
Allot of old time good breeders in dogs would not do it any other way. Family lines is how you keep them strong.

Go to hunting for that $50,000 and see how well that theory works. There will be some crossbreds there I guarentee that !!

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 12:49 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stxcoonhunter
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Take 2 separate lines of the same breed, bred each one heavily on there certain traits and keep it tight, when you have a consistent product and they are breeding true to there line, Cross with the other line to combine the traits.
This is why you see wonderful lines of hounds in the 60s and 70s then the crosses.( YadkinRiver x House) example.
* Very few are willing to put the time in for this 😊

Exactly but those two line of hounds were not only walkers

Old Post 12-13-2019 01:06 PM
stxcoonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for stxcoonhunter Click here to Send stxcoonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email stxcoonhunter Find more posts by stxcoonhunter Add stxcoonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
Go to hunting for that $50,000 and see how well that theory works. There will be some crossbreds there I guarentee that !!
Tar

There will be some purebred hounds there also. I can guarantee that.

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:05 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
There will be some purebred hounds there also. I can guarantee that.

If ukc didn’t want me to build the ultimate money winning coon treeing machine they shouldn’t have gave us the X breed program.

A little of this a little of that and boom baby we kick it up anouther notch !!

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:19 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

And see how that works out for you. Spend the rest of your life seeing what we did years ago. One exceptional pup out of a litter, couple that are maybes and a lot of duds.

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:39 PM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

quote:
If ukc didn’t want me to build the ultimate money winning coon treeing machine they shouldn’t have gave us the X breed program.

A little of this a little of that and boom baby we kick it up anouther notch !!

Tar

Good luck to you and your future cross Tar. I know my partner has already been planning some crosses. Not sure what all he's got for studs picked out yet. We've got a few young dogs and grandpups off of his 2 male dogs. Both are getting pretty old, 1 is 13 or 14 and the other 11. He's got some semen stored on them but not a lot. You're not really wrong by saying most walkers are related. But you have to really do some research to find some that aren't.

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 12-13-2019 02:40 PM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Mr. YadkinRiver is correct 👍🏼

Old Post 12-13-2019 06:41 PM
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

These men in these hill and hollars have bred every combination known to man to try and get a leg up, you better be in for the long haul, cause like Yadkin River said the don’t breed consistent very well.

Old Post 12-13-2019 06:46 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by yadkinriver
And see how that works out for you. Spend the rest of your life seeing what we did years ago. One exceptional pup out of a litter, couple that are maybes and a lot of duds.

Advice from a beagle man ?

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:05 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
These men in these hill and hollars have bred every combination known to man to try and get a leg up, you better be in for the long haul, cause like Yadkin River said the don’t breed consistent very well.

How many hunts you won lately ?

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

quote:
How many hunts you won lately ?
Tar

How many hunts you won lately?

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:22 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
How many hunts you won lately?

I entered 5 last year and won all of them. But I have not wanted to go anymore till you said somthing about ....................... $200,000. It’s all your fault !!!!

Tarbaby

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:31 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

No Tar I didn't mean for it be advice to you. You see I'm still learning and the student shouldn't try to teach the professor. However these outstanding crossbred dogs I keep hearing about why don't you check on their littermates. I know if you look long enough you will find a whole litter that turned out but it won't be common. Like I said you can find an outstanding crossbred dog but you may have to keep and start the whole litter to find it.
And yes guess I'm a beagle man now but I spent over 55 years walking in the dark and over 35 years trying to better the walker breed. I started out just wanting to breed a solid three generation of Yadkin River dogs that I knew were coondogs and the papers were right. I accompolished what I sat out to do and went a step or two beyond that. When you get my age you may downsize the hounds too.

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:45 PM
yadkinriver is online now Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
No Tar I didn't mean for it be advice to you. You see I'm still learning and the student shouldn't try to teach the professor. However these outstanding crossbred dogs I keep hearing about why don't you check on their littermates. I know if you look long enough you will find a whole litter that turned out but it won't be common. Like I said you can find an outstanding crossbred dog but you may have to keep and start the whole litter to find it.
And yes guess I'm a beagle man now but I spent over 55 years walking in the dark and over 35 years trying to better the walker breed. I started out just wanting to breed a solid three generation of Yadkin River dogs that I knew were coondogs and the papers were right. I accompolished what I sat out to do and went a step or two beyond that. When you get my age you may downsize the hounds too.

As a knowledgeable breeder can you tell when you got it to close ........... I can and I did !! Now I need an out cross now I got ole rattler 9 times rat 2 times Harry 4 times lipper at least 6 times Harry 3 times sackett jr 3 times etc. etc you tell me being your the professor what walker stud out there to go to that don’t have none of that.

Tar

Old Post 12-13-2019 10:52 PM
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

You miscomprehend. I'm still learning. I'm the student. There's others on here that will be glad to advise you.

Old Post 12-14-2019 12:21 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
got ole rattler 9 times

Well there's your problem even Ray Charles could see that.

You'll prolly have breed to a bluetick to fix that. You know you want to...lol

Old Post 12-14-2019 02:08 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

quote:
As a knowledgeable breeder can you tell when you got it to close ........... I can and I did !! Now I need an out cross now I got ole rattler 9 times rat 2 times Harry 4 times lipper at least 6 times Harry 3 times sackett jr 3 times etc. etc you tell me being your the professor what walker stud out there to go to that don’t have none of that.

Tar

what your missing is coma blood

Old Post 12-14-2019 02:23 AM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by pamjohnson
what your missing is coma blood

I don’t want that kinda bluetick lol.

Tar

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:11 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Breeders

I want to say that I truly appreciate ALL of the dedicated breeders accross our great nation. Breeders that have committed many years and many dollars trying to breed a superior line of coon dogs. I truly respect their efforts, without them we would NEVER have the number if good dogs we have today. A dedicated breeder may NOT want to cross breed with another breed of hound and spend the time culling to get consistency in the offspring. I only think that one should cross breed to get immediate results with maybe a few superior pups for ones own use as hunting dogs. Cross breeding is definitely not for everyone, non should it be. Cross breeding is just one tool available , for those with a purebred line of dogs that produce consistent coon dogs with the traits you desire, cross breeding would be the last thing you would want. Dave

Old Post 12-14-2019 03:22 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

At my age I just want one more top dog don’t care about color just want one more coondog treed two singles and a slick last night my dogs are good enough for most just once you ever had a top dog it ruins you.

And it going to take a top dog to win that $50,000.

Tar

Old Post 12-14-2019 10:04 AM
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
At my age I just want one more top dog don’t care about color just want one more coondog treed two singles and a slick last night my dogs are good enough for most just once you ever had a top dog it ruins you.

And it going to take a top dog to win that $50,000.

Tar

Well I don't know about anyone else but I can honestly say I've never been ruined!! I came to realize a few years ago that it is important to have a "measuring stick" of sorts for comparison. I'll forever wish I could bring those 2 or 3 back. Yet I have come to realize a man can make himself pretty miserable looking for the one of a kind he once had and pass over the opportunity to enjoy a few more really nice hounds.

Decided a few years ago that I could enjoy the few years I have left doing this gig with a solid hound that doesn't cause many problems, consistently shows me the game I'm after and is a joy to have around at home.

Old Post 12-14-2019 11:53 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CONRAD FRYAR
UKC Forum Member

Tar, you have way to much tree in that pedigree! You may need a blue tick 😊. Hope you find what your after.

Old Post 12-14-2019 12:42 PM
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:

You don’t say much...but when you do....it’s 👍

I tend to write as a breeder but that is how I think...I too met my goal and went beyond...the dogs I bred actually got better over generations...which leads me to believe a dog can produce better than themselves...

It would be pretty awesome if you would write about how you went about breeding your walkers or even your beagles...thanks

Old Post 12-14-2019 01:08 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote