UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > How Do you all pick a pup?
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
devan131313
UKC Forum Member

How Do you all pick a pup?

When you are raising a litter how do you choose which one you're going to keep?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-16-2015 06:36 AM
devan131313 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for devan131313 Click here to Send devan131313 a Private Message Find more posts by devan131313 Add devan131313 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AppalachianBlue
UKC Forum Member

The one walkin round wit it's nose to the ground. The curious one. Show em a coon tail one of em will start bitin at it. And most likely itl be that one.

Call or txt 443- 262-5663
www.facebook.com/appalachianblues
AppalachianBluesKennel@gmail.com

UKC WTDA Registered

Appalachian Blues Kennel
CH PR Walkin After Midnight
GRFCH GRCH NITECH PR Appalachian Blue Catfish HTX ( ACHA SC CHT TC )
- 2015 Qualified for World Show
- 2016 Performance Sire
- Final four Pink Hunt, 2nd place reg
- 2017 Performance Sire
NCH CH Pr Appalachian Blue Luna
GRFCH WCH Pr Appalachian Blue Raven

Mountain feist WTDA BNCH Meadow Mountain Joker

Chocolate Lab...Banjo. Waterfowl buddy.

Old Post 06-16-2015 12:15 PM
AppalachianBlue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AppalachianBlue Click here to Send AppalachianBlue a Private Message Click Here to Email AppalachianBlue Find more posts by AppalachianBlue Add AppalachianBlue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amazingcursouth
UKC Forum Member

After everyone else gets theirs I keep what is left. Trying to pick a pup is like trying to pick Ms America when she is 5 years old.

Mossy Pond Modacious (MO)
Mossy Pond Amazing Gracie

Old Post 06-16-2015 12:59 PM
amazingcursouth is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amazingcursouth Click here to Send amazingcursouth a Private Message Find more posts by amazingcursouth Add amazingcursouth to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MIKE CARDER
UKC Forum Member

Picking pup

Eeni meanie minie mo, that's how I do it.

Phone number 270-820-5560

Old Post 06-16-2015 01:15 PM
MIKE CARDER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MIKE CARDER Click here to Send MIKE CARDER a Private Message Click Here to Email MIKE CARDER Find more posts by MIKE CARDER Add MIKE CARDER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RLenhart
UKC Forum Member

Re: How Do you all pick a pup?

quote:
Originally posted by devan131313

At 8-10 weeks old I'd say I'm going for looks and sometimes I have to question even doing that because I don't show my dogs and did you ever notice SO often the dog you see on the cover of a magazine winning a big hunt aint winnin no beauty contest. I look at that all the time and think when that dog was being picked out of a litter WHO had the foresight to pick HIM?
Now your original question might imply your raising these pups up a little bit then selecting. of course as they grow THEN I would start looking for the one that always seems to have his nose to the ground and act a little independent.

Old Post 06-16-2015 01:30 PM
RLenhart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RLenhart Click here to Send RLenhart a Private Message Find more posts by RLenhart Add RLenhart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sleepy head
UKC Forum Member

I like a pup that makes good eye contact, and alert

Old Post 06-16-2015 02:50 PM
sleepy head is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sleepy head Click here to Send sleepy head a Private Message Find more posts by sleepy head Add sleepy head to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Re: How Do you all pick a pup?

quote:
Originally posted by devan131313
It must not be an easy thing to do. I read on this forum that Joe House had a little trouble getting rid of Lipper when he was 5 months old.

Old Post 06-16-2015 03:35 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grant Noeske
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by amazingcursouth
After everyone else gets theirs I keep what is left. Trying to pick a pup is like trying to pick Ms America when she is 5 years old.

Ain't that the truth!

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:06 PM
Grant Noeske is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grant Noeske Click here to Send Grant Noeske a Private Message Visit Grant Noeske's homepage! Find more posts by Grant Noeske Add Grant Noeske to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

Same way I pick watermelons. Grab the ugly one! Really though, hang around them and observe then go with your gut.

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:17 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
devan131313
UKC Forum Member

It's really hard to not just pick them off of looks and go with the prettiest one lol

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:19 PM
devan131313 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for devan131313 Click here to Send devan131313 a Private Message Find more posts by devan131313 Add devan131313 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jkidd1
UKC Forum Member

There are 3 things to look for when pickin out a pup . . . . . . . . . Looks,looks & looks lol. Cause you can't tell anything else at that age.

JEREMY KIDD
765-520-1552

*females*
GRNITECH' JR'S JANEY
(Xjr X Insane Jane)

GRNITECH ST. JOHN'S STYLISH REX
(Ol south stylish Rebel X Janey)

GRNITECH' AFTER DARK'S JAN-IT
(Sweat It X Janey)

DUAL GRNITE' LONETREE LEGEND (R.I.P.)
(Noct. Style X Southern Sky)

GRNITECH' STYLISH LITTLE PEG(R.I.P.)
(Trackman X Browns Little Peg)

GRNITECH 'PR' JANEY'S GOTTA GUN
(Wild Card X Jr's Janey)

NITECH ‘PR’ REBELS STYLISH MOJA
(Ol Souths Stylish Rebel X Janey)

AFTER DARK’S PURDY PENNY
(Big $$ X Janit)

NITECH' SEVEN MILE SLOOPY(R.I.P.)
(Skipper x Big time Trixie)

Proud UNION JOURNEYMAN LINEMAN
https://i.postimg.cc/654pWfzm/IMG-1920.png
I.B.E.W. LOCAL 1393

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:20 PM
jkidd1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jkidd1 Click here to Send jkidd1 a Private Message Click Here to Email jkidd1 Find more posts by jkidd1 Add jkidd1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

I have a litter of 5 right now and I have been in a complete circle on which one to keep if any. My rational mind and business decision mind tells me to keep none or the one that is left. My minds eye trying to see the future watches for different things. I have one that is a loaner and is always off by itself. I have one female that seems to love me and wants to spend more time with me than any of them, like she is always calling me to her. I have one male that is just a choice pup in my opinion. So I am confused.

Here is my thought that I have had for 40 years and never did it once. Sell every pup. Whatever you sell them for, put that money in the bank and at a year old take all of it out and add some if you have to, but work hard to buy the one you like back. You would be money ahead.

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:22 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

I lift the tail and make sure it's a female

Old Post 06-16-2015 04:24 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
georgef072007
Banned

I let my grand daughter pick one out to try her luck, she even named it. Now when I'm ready to head home I have to call "here Kitty Kitty" for Hello Kitty to come in. No one has said anything yet, but I know they are laughing inside.

'PR' OUTBACK TRASHY LULU

CH GRNTCH 'PR' WRECK IT RALPH (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2017 UKC World Finalist. 2018 UKC World Hunt Qualified.

CH GRNTCH 'PR' CATS TRASHY TOMCAT (Dead Cat X Outback Trashy LuLu) 2016 , 2017 & 2018 UKC World hunt qualified

'PR' Blue Eyed Pete (Watsons Jackal X Hello Kitty)

'PR' Wipeout Harley (Joinertown Wipeout Zeb 3 X Dark Mtn Crankin Holly)

past home of

GRNTCH 'PR' DEAD CAT

NTCH WCH 'PR' DEAD CATS ECHO

Old Post 06-16-2015 05:01 PM
georgef072007 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for georgef072007 Click here to Send georgef072007 a Private Message Find more posts by georgef072007 Add georgef072007 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I have a 6 month old blue tick I named Miss Kitty. Last week she ran and tree on her first time in the woods. I don't know if anyone else is laughing, but I am.

Old Post 06-16-2015 05:06 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KCE Kennels
UKC Forum Member

I usually go for the one that's walking around or seems to be the most active. But if there's a few that's a close match then I just go for the best looking.

Old Post 06-16-2015 05:15 PM
KCE Kennels is offline Click Here to See the Profile for KCE Kennels Click here to Send KCE Kennels a Private Message Click Here to Email KCE Kennels Find more posts by KCE Kennels Add KCE Kennels to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DFred
Same way I pick watermelons. Grab the ugly one! Really though, hang around them and observe then go with your gut.

I can't help you pick a pup. Put your effort into picking it's parents.
But I work on a watermelon farm so here's a tip, while a melon is growing the outside is shiny and glossy when it becomes ripe the skin will start turning flat and dull color. Good luck with both picks.

Old Post 06-16-2015 05:16 PM
Jeff Prince is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Prince Click here to Send Jeff Prince a Private Message Click Here to Email Jeff Prince Find more posts by Jeff Prince Add Jeff Prince to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bluecollar
UKC Forum Member

I let my wife pick it. That way if it doesn't amount to anything, it's not my fault.

Old Post 06-16-2015 05:17 PM
bluecollar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bluecollar Click here to Send bluecollar a Private Message Click Here to Email bluecollar Find more posts by bluecollar Add bluecollar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by georgef072007
I let my grand daughter pick one out to try her luck, she even named it. Now when I'm ready to head home I have to call "here Kitty Kitty" for Hello Kitty to come in. No one has said anything yet, but I know they are laughing inside.
The more I read this, the funnier it gets.

Old Post 06-16-2015 06:54 PM
Travis Brown
UKC Forum Member

Having sold several walker pups at weaning age I can tell you almost everyone picks by color.

Seems like the first pup out of the doghouse usually makes a good one.

Home of :
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Peggy 4/91-1/02
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Little Peg 6/98-3/08
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Haley 8/02-11/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Taylor 3/05-11/17
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Rotten 10/08-2/13
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Midge 12/10-1/21
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Jessie 4/14-
Gr. Nt. Ch. Browns Lilly 5/19-

Last edited by Travis Brown on 06-16-2015 at 07:24 PM

Old Post 06-16-2015 07:21 PM
Travis Brown is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis Brown Click here to Send Travis Brown a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis Brown Find more posts by Travis Brown Add Travis Brown to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Duckassassin
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by georgef072007

LOL that's funny, WLDCH "PR" HELLO KITTY LOL you never know....LOL

Old Post 06-16-2015 08:20 PM
Duckassassin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Duckassassin Click here to Send Duckassassin a Private Message Find more posts by Duckassassin Add Duckassassin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Carl Fox
UKC Forum Member

Jeremy Kidd if everv one told the truth your way would be the way 90% of pups are picked.

Just went and picked out my female pup at Hobo's Swamp Witch will be her name out of Swampmusic pride and his Ruby female and i have 10 criteria's i suppose to choose from but i can tell you now if she had fell every one of them i still would have chosen her on her looks along.

I just don't know how many people out there would watch a litter of pups week after week and say well that ugliest pup in the litter will make the best dog so i am keeping it.

The John Wick theory of keeping the last one left in the litter is just a slick way of saying i am in it for the money and i will find some sucker later on to pond this ugly pup off on.

Now when you are considering clover bred dogs its a whole different ball game ugly is beautiful on those black headed walkers half moon face circle around one eye ever one and that still includes me that likes clover dogs don't play any attention at all about their looks its those big mouth stay put accuracy tree dogs that is more important to them.
bluecollar my wife bought my Witch pup for me and also named her Swamp Witch so you have a great idea if she turns out no good i will say wrong pup and wrong name bought from the wrong man HOBO Lmao.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING INSTEAD
OF HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS!!!

Last edited by Carl Fox on 06-16-2015 at 08:37 PM

Old Post 06-16-2015 08:32 PM
Carl Fox is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Carl Fox Click here to Send Carl Fox a Private Message Find more posts by Carl Fox Add Carl Fox to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Prince
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Carl Fox
Jeremy Kidd if everv one told the truth your way would be the way 90% of pups are picked.

Just went and picked out my female pup at Hobo's Swamp Witch will be her name out of Swampmusic pride and his Ruby female and i have 10 criteria's i suppose to choose from but i can tell you now if she had fell every one of them i still would have chosen her on her looks along.

I just don't know how many people out there would watch a litter of pups week after week and say well that ugliest pup in the litter will make the best dog so i am keeping it.

The John Wick theory of keeping the last one left in the litter is just a slick way of saying i am in it for the money and i will find some sucker later on to pond this ugly pup off on.

Now when you are considering clover bred dogs its a whole different ball game ugly is beautiful on those black headed walkers half moon face circle around one eye ever one and that still includes me that likes clover dogs don't play any attention at all about their looks its those big mouth stay put accuracy tree dogs that is more important to them.
bluecollar my wife bought my Witch pup for me and also named her Swamp Witch so you have a great idea if she turns out no good i will say wrong pup and wrong name bought from the wrong man HOBO Lmao.

Good to know John wick who has done so much for this sport is a crook who "ponds" off his junk on suckers

Last edited by Jeff Prince on 06-16-2015 at 09:33 PM

Old Post 06-16-2015 09:29 PM
HOBO
UKC Forum Member

When I bought Lobo from Mike Dohoney as a puppy he was the second pup out of the dog house and the first pup to me. So I guess you could say he picked me....

I've raised more litters than I can count. Some of them I've watched and watched and watched and picked the one puppy that seemed to always be out exploring the woods around my kennels. Other times I have picked a puppy the day it was born just because of its color.

IF you have done your homework on the litter you are getting a puppy from most times you could just close your eyes and grab one.

The litter that Carl just bought a pup off of I liked both pups. I liked the one Carl bought because of her color, the one he left I liked because she was the first one out of the doghouse, the first one to try to eat hard dog food at 3 weeks old and the first one to go exploring. She ended up going to Mike Blackburn in Ohio so now I'll get to see which one of them made the right choice.

Ch.Swampmusic Lil Bit Sassy
Ch.Swampmusic Misty Shadow
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Boone
Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Pride

But Looking To The Future...

Nt.Ch.Gr.Ch.Swampmusic Big Hoss

Dennis Robinson
Cell 540-295-3892

Old Post 06-16-2015 09:39 PM
HOBO is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HOBO Click here to Send HOBO a Private Message Click Here to Email HOBO Visit HOBO's homepage! Find more posts by HOBO Add HOBO to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dean jamerson
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce M. Conkey
I have a litter of 5 right now and I have been in a complete circle on which one to keep if any. My rational mind and business decision mind tells me to keep none or the one that is left. My minds eye trying to see the future watches for different things. I have one that is a loaner and is always off by itself. I have one female that seems to love me and wants to spend more time with me than any of them, like she is always calling me to her. I have one male that is just a choice pup in my opinion. So I am confused.

Here is my thought that I have had for 40 years and never did it once. Sell every pup. Whatever you sell them for, put that money in the bank and at a year old take all of it out and add some if you have to, but work hard to buy the one you like back. You would be money ahead.

Probably the best way, you didnt get hung with the dudd in the bunch, but i guess you do run the risk somebody wont sell. You could keep them all, let them run loose and keep the first one to go hunting and get treed then sell the rest. But i have found people will give more for a little pup than one that is 10 or 11 months old unless its doing something.

Old Post 06-16-2015 09:47 PM
dean jamerson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dean jamerson Click here to Send dean jamerson a Private Message Click Here to Email dean jamerson Find more posts by dean jamerson Add dean jamerson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote