UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Recasting time
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Recasting time

So this weekend while hunting a slam at the world hunt I got into a bit of an argument with the judge about when I needed to recast.

1. It was a 3 dog cast and dogs A and B were handled at a tree and the dog C was not struck in. I wanted to pull off the tree and immediately turn loose as I knew the dog C was probably treed somewhere and we'd hear him as soon as we pulled off which would leash lock me. The judge tried to make me hold mine but I cut anyways knowing this rule. The dog C struck soon after followed by Dog B that was treed with mine and recut also.

2. My dog goes back to the same tree because I literally pulled him right off and recut him. But now dog B was struck so unless she got treed I wouldn't be leash locked. Now this is my real question. I wanted to lead off this tree a short distance before recutting my dog to prevent the going back. The judge kept saying something about a minute rule of which I don't believe exists.

3. With that being said what is the time length in which you HAVE to recut your dog when leading off of a tree if all dogs are trailing?

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019-2022 UKC World Qualifier
2019 Ok Prohunt Semi-finalist
2019 Spring SS Top 20
20,21, and 23 OK State PKC Champion
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2019-2023 PKC National Qualifier
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
2023 JOY Super Hunt Champion
2022 UKC WORLDCH PKC PCH CH GRNTCH3 "Get Gone Jenna"
DOB- 9/30/2017

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:32 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
newport
UKC Forum Member

there is no time limit for recasting the 1 min rule is a rule in another registry

Home of
PKC CH GRNITECH PR Newports Late Night Chill HTX
PR eel river rye
PR late night walker texas ranger (tex)
PR Big Walnuts Late Night Branch

proud member of The Deer Creek Cartel
Check out the deercreek cartel youtube channel at- youtube.com/c/thedeercreekcartel

BSKC founding member

matt newport

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:34 PM
newport is offline Click Here to See the Profile for newport Click here to Send newport a Private Message Click Here to Email newport Find more posts by newport Add newport to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

$kc

quote:
Originally posted by newport
there is no time limit for recasting the 1 min rule is a rule in another registry

I hunt all registries and this was my argument. But as a judge or in the rulebook when MUST you recut in UKC? There's no indicated time, no black and white, no nothing. what prevents someone from just leading their 2-300 yards and then recutting vs cutting right off the tree?

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:38 PM
TylerOSU is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TylerOSU Click here to Send TylerOSU a Private Message Click Here to Email TylerOSU Find more posts by TylerOSU Add TylerOSU to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Correct, it is not a time factor, you must recast when the 8 is broke.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:40 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Correct, it is not a time factor, you must recast when the 8 is broke.

So if you grab your dog and turn around to walk away from a tree and a dog is opening you must immediately recut?

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:41 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Re: $kc

quote:
Originally posted by TylerOSU
I hunt all registries and this was my argument. But as a judge or in the rulebook when MUST you recut in UKC? There's no indicated time, no black and white, no nothing. what prevents someone from just leading their 2-300 yards and then recutting vs cutting right off the tree?

There IS a black and white rule. 11(b) dog(s) MUST be turned loose with dogs opening on trail. That means when the 8 is broke, you must cast your dog at that point or, if a dog is treed, you inform the judge that you choose not to recast. But that means you dog stays on leash until you score the next tree.

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:48 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: $kc

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
There IS a black and white rule. 11(b) dog(s) MUST be turned loose with dogs opening on trail. That means when the 8 is broke, you must cast your dog at that point or, if a dog is treed, you inform the judge that you choose not to recast. But that means you dog stays on leash until you score the next tree.

Right but it doesn't specify that if you decide to not recut you cant lead your dog part ways to next dogs tree and recut. It doesn't specify that you have to lead all the way into the next tree. From the rules it looks like you carry that option until all dogs are treed.

However, if dog(s) are already treed,
handlers have the option to hold onto or
release dog(s) so long as at least one dog is
not declared treed.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-25-2018 06:52 PM
JiM
UKC Forum Member

Tyler, the Advisor clarifies that if you choose not to recast your dog when another dog is treed, then you must keep your dog on leash until the next tree is scored.

Old Post 09-25-2018 07:03 PM
wjoey
Banned

You should have been scratched for turning loose before judge said too , even if you know he is wrong the judge has control of the cast and had every right to scratch you , I know I would have.

UKC PREFORMANCE SIRE Nt ch pkc ch BAM BAM The only one out of WORLD CH BIG D X GRNT SKIPPERS UMFORGIVEN SAIGE she has 21 pups 4nt ch 5 grnt ch thats 42.85%
He is a coon dog!
Nt ch ch Insane Minnie MouseInsane cain x Malden Branch Mouse

HOME OF 2 TIME AQHA HORSE OF THE YEAR
World champion working cow horse snaffle bit
SMART LITTLE LEGEND
ETCHA CHAMPION
HCHA CHAMPION
Top 16 NCHA WORLD Champion
Home of GHSRA All Around Cowboy Champion Chris wilbanks

Jerico Rebel our Movie star horse hes been in three films now 35 years old
Just passed away February 4th 2016

MY OLD DOGS GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
The one I will allways miss now deceased 01/09/2013
GR CH GRAND NT CH Handosme Trudy
SIRE PKC WLD CH GR NT WHATS UP DOC
DAM GR NT HUTCHINS SUGAR

GRCH GR NT CH COBBLER CREEK WENDY
GR NT STYLISH TUFF - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER
GR NT STYLISH TACK - WENDY X STYLISH LIPPER

NT CH SOUTHERN STYLE - JP'S HIGH STYLE X HOUSES LADY

Old Post 09-25-2018 07:04 PM
wjoey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wjoey Click here to Send wjoey a Private Message Find more posts by wjoey Add wjoey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Ill Check it out!

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Tyler, the Advisor clarifies that if you choose not to recast your dog when another dog is treed, then you must keep your dog on leash until the next tree is scored.

Ill check that out. I wasn't here to argue I just legitimately wanted to know the right answer lol It was one of those deals where I wanted to be able to plead my case and know what right is when I put that ? on the card. Im pretty up on the rules but new situations always bring more gray lol

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Last edited by TylerOSU on 09-25-2018 at 07:34 PM

Old Post 09-25-2018 07:05 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by wjoey
You should have been scratched for turning loose before judge said too , even if you know he is wrong the judge has control of the cast and had every right to scratch you , I know I would have.

You could try but id question it and win 10 times out of 10. I'm not holding my dog on a lead when there's nothing struck and waiting just so someone else could get struck and treed and leash lock me. Not going to happen in any way shape or form. If you're judging my cast you better know the rules or you sure wont like me. I'm dang sure not going to get punished because my dog got treed and yours blew through the country out of hearing and allow you to get struck for 100 and treed for 125 while I'm holding mine.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-25-2018 07:09 PM
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

Yup

Normally that my moto as well. I usually have a certain time in my head where I walk all dogs the same distance or time to recut so its fair to all. But I didn't know where it specifically said when you HAVE to recut. I figured there was a rule somewhere but I have yet to see it is all.

Team Mafia
2022 UKC World Champion
2019 Spring SS Top 20
2020 Spring SS Top 7
2020-2023 TOC Qualifier
2020 UKC Top 100
2022 UKC Top 100
DOB- 9/30/2017

Old Post 09-25-2018 08:57 PM
H DOG
UKC Forum Member

You cannot recast a dog unless the other dogs are opening on track

Old Post 09-25-2018 09:01 PM
H DOG is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H DOG Click here to Send H DOG a Private Message Find more posts by H DOG Add H DOG to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TylerOSU
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by H DOG
You cannot recast a dog unless the other dogs are opening on track

In this situation there were other dogs at large not struck in so 100 strike position was open. You dang right I can recut without hearing another dog. If nothing is struck in mine WILL be loose competing for strike. Scratch me if you want but once again ill question it and take you back to the club.