UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Treeing up certain trees????
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

Treeing up certain trees????

I’m working with a dog that, for some reason, likes to tree on sourwood trees! I’ve broke dogs off of deer and possums, but sourwood??? 😳 Have any of you ever heard or seen such?

Home of Mayberry Blueticks
Jhn. 3:30, "He must increase, but I must decrease."

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 10-21-2020 10:09 PM
Craig Edwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Edwards Click here to Send Craig Edwards a Private Message Visit Craig Edwards's homepage! Find more posts by Craig Edwards Add Craig Edwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
novicane65
UKC Forum Member

Yep, seen it with hemlock trees

And
Partners on a few common trashy young dogs

Gone but not forgotten

GrNtCh, PKC Ch Hillbilly Bildo
Pr Broken Oaks Wild Blue Gypsy

Old Post 10-22-2020 01:10 AM
novicane65 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for novicane65 Click here to Send novicane65 a Private Message Click Here to Email novicane65 Find more posts by novicane65 Add novicane65 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan&Ann
UKC Forum Member

Question

When he trees in these sourwood trees is there a coon there? If so maybe the coons around there like sourwood trees. If he is treeing slick then the problem is different...

Old Post 10-22-2020 05:40 PM
Dan&Ann is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan&Ann Click here to Send Dan&Ann a Private Message Find more posts by Dan&Ann Add Dan&Ann to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Roy

My thoughts exactly, it's not the kind of tree that matters, but if the trees contain coons that really counts. We are treeing mostly oak trees as the coons are feeding in acorns. Dave

Old Post 10-22-2020 06:21 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkinriver
UKC Forum Member

Craig most of the large sourwoods are hollow and most are squirrel dens. Might be reason to suspect.

Old Post 10-22-2020 07:45 PM
yadkinriver is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkinriver Click here to Send yadkinriver a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkinriver Visit yadkinriver's homepage! Find more posts by yadkinriver Add yadkinriver to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the input. It’s hard to tell if a coon is there bc of the leaves. Most sourwoods around here are usually connected to much larger trees. I almost always see a coon except the sourwoods. It just seems weird.

Old Post 10-24-2020 08:19 AM
Craig Edwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Craig Edwards Click here to Send Craig Edwards a Private Message Visit Craig Edwards's homepage! Find more posts by Craig Edwards Add Craig Edwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Question

quote:
Originally posted by Dan&Ann
When he trees in these sourwood trees is there a coon there? If so maybe the coons around there like sourwood trees. If he is treeing slick then the problem is different...
I don’t think I’ve ever found the coon when he’s on a sourwood. Just about every sourwood he is on (maybe all of them) have gone into bigger leafy trees. There is so much foliage and undergrowth around here, it’s rare to get a good view of a tree; very rare.

Old Post 10-24-2020 08:25 AM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Craig

Yes, those leaves are awful in these mountains, especially the big oaks. Thankfully time, rain and frost are going to get rid of a lot of leaves over the next few weeks. Treeing up a lot of Hugh oaks, finding a lot of the coons that look but few that don't on account of the leaves. Hunting s young dog that having some problems with colder tracks and coming up short ( in my opinion )deadly on the hot tracks, but I am getting real aggravated on some of his colder tracks he trees, just honestly think that he is missing. Boy do I hate a dog that misses on hot or cold tracks. This dog has every thing one could ask for on decent tracks, he handles like a dream, excellent strike dog, clean, hard hunter, every thing but messing up on colder tracks. If he does not get better, he is gone, I expect to see a coon in every tree. Dave

Old Post 10-24-2020 08:55 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Craig Edwards
UKC Forum Member

Re: Craig

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
Yes, those leaves are awful in these mountains, especially the big oaks. Thankfully time, rain and frost are going to get rid of a lot of leaves over the next few weeks. Treeing up a lot of Hugh oaks, finding a lot of the coons that look but few that don't on account of the leaves. Hunting s young dog that having some problems with colder tracks and coming up short ( in my opinion )deadly on the hot tracks, but I am getting real aggravated on some of his colder tracks he trees, just honestly think that he is missing. Boy do I hate a dog that misses on hot or cold tracks. This dog has every thing one could ask for on decent tracks, he handles like a dream, excellent strike dog, clean, hard hunter, every thing but messing up on colder tracks. If he does not get better, he is gone, I expect to see a coon in every tree. Dave
Gotcha!!! It’s aggravating to walk to an empty tree. I wonder if a sourwood holds scent more than some trees do. I don’t know. When the leaves are off, and I’m sure he’s missing, we are going to have a “Come to Jesus” meeting. 😊 I don’t like to discourage a dog unless I know for sure what it’s doing.

Old Post 10-24-2020 05:55 PM