UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > mean dog
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

Re: Stan

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Richards
We get it, you dont, every situation is different, while you tend to over simplify. If a dog is jumped on out of nowhere, he fights back or gets chewed up, he can not back up 2 steps and avoid the fight. I do not condone fighting, but a dog that fights back when given no choice definitely is not mean or aggressive as you continue to imply. Think what you like, but do not pizz on my leg and tell me it's raining and expect me to agree. Most folks don't give a rat's bottom what you or I have to say about mean dogs, folks with a really mean dog know what they have. Dave
you don't get it, you never will. the fight you just described would last 5-10 seconds and no one would ever know. The whole world is around that tree and a dog thats NOT a fighter will use it to get out of the fight. No where else is this type of behavior allowed, Why do you suppose that is? It is called denial and you dave are the king.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:59 AM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ricochet17
UKC Forum Member

What about at a water race (not at the tree) Stan? I can remember at a past highland event that nothing happened.

Old Post 06-15-2020 04:04 AM
Ricochet17 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ricochet17 Click here to Send Ricochet17 a Private Message Find more posts by Ricochet17 Add Ricochet17 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Stan

You can spout all the unfounded info you want and it still does not make you right. What I really do not get is where in the world do you get your information? You act like you can read dogs minds, as you have a definitive answer to every situation to meet your take on things. I do not care what you think, just do not expect everyone else to agree with you. I bet your teachers enjoyed having you in their class, or maybe not. Give this subject matter a rest, folks do not care one bit what you or I think about what a mean dog is. If you want to banter with me just pm me , heck we can talk on the phone if you want. I am retired and have a bad knee, not hunting and have plenty of time to engage with you on any subject you care to talk about. I am never to old to learn new things from someone like yourself that has so much knowledge he wants to share. Dave

Old Post 06-15-2020 04:26 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

This happened to a dog we've owned. Dog is treed another dog comes in and attacks him from behind. Ours turns grabs him off and literally threw the dog several feet away and goes right back to treeing. Was ours a mean dog? Should he have allowed the attack to continue or was nipping it in the bud with his reaction to being attacked the correct way for him to handle it? Sometimes self defense for self preservation is the correct reaction.
Our old Mafia dog that passed this last winter if he drew an aggressive dog he would continue to tree but would circle the tree try to stay clear of the dog. If they were really bad he would sit back from the tree. Both of these are great things to avoid confrontation but in instances like the above mentioned one are not always feasible, sometimes you can't get away.
Is Ol' Red my pup starter or a momma dog aggressive or mean when they discipline by snapping or a growl when a young puppy it gets to rough playing or they've had enough? No they are not! Dogs may communicate differently than humans but are more alike than many realize. Sometimes a dog has to issue discipline to another and in certain instances may be forced to defend themselves from a survival instinct just like you and I. There is a big difference between these and an aggressive mean dog.
We have a little saying around here... "If your gonna eat at Momma's table you better mind your manners." Some of you it sounds like still need your momma to give you a little pop you on the back of the head as a reminder, maybe it would knock some sense back into you, your never to old.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 06-15-2020 05:02 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

A true coon hound is supposed to strike, run and tree a coon and stay treed because its bred to do just that. It should be concentrating on the tree and nothing else. In years past there just weren't many mean dogs but it seems now'a days there's one behind every tree. I'm not saying a dog should or shouldn't defend themselves but I'll just leave you with this thought. It's human related so it may not fair well with everyone. For those of ya'll who remember Muhammad Ali in the boxing ring, he could stay away from some of the most nasty, rough, hardest hitting people in the world. And did it all within a confined area with millions of people watching. He did this because he wanted to not because he had to. Now, if a dog has to worry about everything other than staying treed, it's kinda hard to do a good job. That being said, a dog can move around the tree and keep away from trouble, I've owned such a dog and have seen it first hand. But a dog must first be more interested in the tree than defending him/herself. Now if a dog is just so mean that it has to come off a tree to clean all the other dogs, I'll promise you that dog won't last long in the hunts without being eliminated, imo. There will be disagreements on this subject so all I ask is to be totally honest with yourself about what you're leading and be kind if you're leading a bad one.

Old Post 06-15-2020 05:31 AM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan Ferrell
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ricochet17
What about at a water race (not at the tree) Stan? I can remember at a past highland event that nothing happened.
Did the judge scratch that dog? nope. Have you seen that dog since, nope. So whats the problem Jay?

Old Post 06-15-2020 01:01 PM
Stan Ferrell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stan Ferrell Click here to Send Stan Ferrell a Private Message Find more posts by Stan Ferrell Add Stan Ferrell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

While this post has caused some arguments and bickering there has been some great information posted as well.

Old Post 06-15-2020 01:54 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ron Moore
A true coon hound is supposed to strike, run and tree a coon and stay treed because its bred to do just that. It should be concentrating on the tree and nothing else. In years past there just weren't many mean dogs but it seems now'a days there's one behind every tree. I'm not saying a dog should or shouldn't defend themselves but I'll just leave you with this thought. It's human related so it may not fair well with everyone. For those of ya'll who remember Muhammad Ali in the boxing ring, he could stay away from some of the most nasty, rough, hardest hitting people in the world. And did it all within a confined area with millions of people watching. He did this because he wanted to not because he had to. Now, if a dog has to worry about everything other than staying treed, it's kinda hard to do a good job. That being said, a dog can move around the tree and keep away from trouble, I've owned such a dog and have seen it first hand. But a dog must first be more interested in the tree than defending him/herself. Now if a dog is just so mean that it has to come off a tree to clean all the other dogs, I'll promise you that dog won't last long in the hunts without being eliminated, imo. There will be disagreements on this subject so all I ask is to be totally honest with yourself about what you're leading and be kind if you're leading a bad one.
Ali could would KNOCK you out if you got to close.... just saying...

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:32 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by 2ol2hunt
Ali could would KNOCK you out if you got to close.... just saying...

He also could knock you out while he was going backwards.

Tar

Old Post 06-15-2020 03:39 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ghost14
UKC Forum Member

He dodged everything, right down to the draft!

Ali is a perfect example of what this post is about. He was allowed to get away with things because he was a winner on paper. He should have been culled and made an example of so draft dodgers knew the penalty. Instead, he’s still heralded by some when in reality he was a blister on the hands of what hard working men and women have sacrificed their lives for.

Why wouldn’t you want a role model and champion who did the right things and kept his nose clean. Those dogs do exist. Has to be because that’s the type of dog most people will make excuses for and keep around because they are winning. It’s surely not because they are better hounds, just better at defending their tree.

Old Post 06-15-2020 05:18 PM
Ghost14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ghost14 Click here to Send Ghost14 a Private Message Click Here to Email Ghost14 Find more posts by Ghost14 Add Ghost14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

Ghost14

Regarding Ali, I agree with you 100 percent. I am a combat veteran military officer and agree Ali got off with a slap on the wrist. I agree that there are mean dogs winning hunts that should be barred. I hate a mean dog, but I do not agree with some folks thoughts on what a mean dog is. Anyone that has hunted for any length of time should know what a mean dog is, they should never hunt a mean dog in the hunts or with any other dog. Dave

Old Post 06-15-2020 05:54 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost14
He dodged everything, right down to the draft!

Ali is a perfect example of what this post is about. He was allowed to get away with things because he was a winner on paper. He should have been culled and made an example of so draft dodgers knew the penalty. Instead, he’s still heralded by some when in reality he was a blister on the hands of what hard working men and women have sacrificed their lives for.

Why wouldn’t you want a role model and champion who did the right things and kept his nose clean. Those dogs do exist. Has to be because that’s the type of dog most people will make excuses for and keep around because they are winning. It’s surely not because they are better hounds, just better at defending their tree.

I am also an Honorable Discharged Military Veteran who did not approve of what Ili did outside the ring and even sometimes inside the ring. Just an example of how one could relate another sport to our sport and have the same outcome. Mean dogs will continue as long as we let them. We're all grown ups here and we need to have as much A$$ behind us as the ones running these type dogs and start eliminating them. I had a good friend that had a very nice Walker coon hound but was meaner than a two headed rattle snake. He and everyone else knew that dog was mean yet he continued to hunt that dog and wouldn't even admit that dog was mean. Thank God he didn't attempt competition hunt him. He even bred that dog and most of the pups were mean. Things like this should not ever happen but they continue to do so. We as coon hunters need to be honest with ourselves and eliminate these type of dogs. By no means am I singling out any particular breed because I've seen mean ones in every breed. In the end, there are just too many good dogs out there to be hunting a mean one.

Old Post 06-17-2020 02:23 PM
Ron Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Moore Click here to Send Ron Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email Ron Moore Find more posts by Ron Moore Add Ron Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnny reb
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Stan

quote:
Originally posted by novicane65
Until these guys actually draw a mean S.O.B. I don't think they know one or seen one. There's a huge difference in a dog that runs other dogs off a tree for a few hundred yards vs a dog that refuses to be pushed around and a squabble starts. And I'm 99% sure if you attend 100 hunts in the next year you won't see 1. So if your dog can tree with many dogs and not have any issues but you draw 1 or 2 dogs and you hear some getting straightened out at a tree, whose dog is the problem, Mine, your's, or their's? You know how your dog can be, it runs away from everything, theirs is a young dog and hasn't been around but 1 other dog its entire life, or mine?

What’s funny the ones complaing the most. There’s no reason a dog should protect itself and they would t have one that did. They seem to be the ones with the bad luck of drawing all the mean ones. Where as most would agree drawing a mean dog is rare. I WONDER😈

Old Post 06-20-2020 12:57 AM
johnny reb is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnny reb Click here to Send johnny reb a Private Message Click Here to Email johnny reb Find more posts by johnny reb Add johnny reb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

The fact of the matter is at the local level that good ole boy stuff still holds some merit You play in the major leagues with the big boys your dog better have some stick to them or your wasting your time.

I won’t own a mean dog so I stay home.

Tar

Old Post 06-20-2020 02:13 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote