UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > One man dog?
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

One man dog?

I recently sold my 2 yr old nt ch female that has been at my place since a weened pup. Her new owner is a great guy and she has a great kennel/environment to live in but that transition to the new location isn't going well. She will take food from his hand but then retreats to her house afterwards. She will give a nervous growl if pressured while in the house. She will obviously be coming back home and a large chunk of money refunded but I'm looking for suggestions to get her over this because she's a tremendous coondog . It has only been 1 week so far. Thanks...

NT CH CROOKED RIVER TWO TONE ZEB
NT CH OLIPHANTS DBL BARREL SHOTGUN
GR NT CH CROOKED RIVER RED TURKEY HTX
NT Ch CROOKED RIVER RED SASSY HTX
CROOKED RIVER REDTICK ROWDY

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-11-2022 11:33 AM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

If this fellow is truly a dog man he should be aware that dogs, like people are all individuals. Some dogs are slow to readjust to new owners. You should avoid gong to see the dog unless you are going to pick her up and refund the man his money. Seeing you will just set her back more.

In this instance he needs to let the dog set the terms to some degree and let the dog come to him. She needs to learn that he can be trusted and adjust to her new surroundings. Not all dogs adjust to new owners quickly and sadly, not all new owners are patient.

If it was me I’d offer to refund the man his money, bring her home, give her some time to recover and look for some one who is a good fit for her.

Old Post 11-11-2022 12:02 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

He's being very patient and not pressing me for a refund. I'm the one offering a refund because she's such a good coondog. We're 8 hours apart so I won't be seeing her.

Old Post 11-11-2022 12:14 PM
Travis O. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Travis O. Click here to Send Travis O. a Private Message Click Here to Email Travis O. Find more posts by Travis O. Add Travis O. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Some Mt curs are bad about transitioning to new owners…he should leash her up and take her for long walks and also needs to be relaxed and calm when he takes her for walks…
If she gets loose while on a walk he might not get her back…

Last edited by Reuben on 11-11-2022 at 09:31 PM

Old Post 11-11-2022 12:29 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2nd Mac
UKC Forum Member

I bought a female a year ago that took a month before she started hunting right for me. She was real friendly around the kennel but too quite a while to adjust to me in the woods.

Old Post 11-11-2022 07:39 PM
2nd Mac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2nd Mac Click here to Send 2nd Mac a Private Message Find more posts by 2nd Mac Add 2nd Mac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I have such confidence in the dogs ability that I'm willing to let her new owner fool with her until he's satisfied or dissatisfied.

Old Post 11-11-2022 09:13 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

How does she act if he goes out to the kennel after dark ? If she's the dog I think she probably is she'll come out of it a lot faster if he takes her coon hunting.

Old Post 11-11-2022 09:25 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Last report was that she acted about the same. He plans on loading her and driving to the woods as if she's going hunting. If she isn't fired up at that point, she might as well come back to Missouri.

Old Post 11-11-2022 10:15 PM
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

i have found that a if posible putting a dog on a chain works for me, you dont have to go into there space as with a kennel and you can kinda wait an watch once the dog comes to meet you as your walking buy then you can kinda pet an get your hands on them. hope that makes sence,

Old Post 11-13-2022 06:47 PM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

I found a young Mt cur dog for my buddy…he was on his way to make a top coon dog…the idea was to make a hog dog out of him…it took at least a couple months but my friend didn’t have much experience with dogs so he probably caused the longer than necessary dog to adjust…

Once the dog started hunting he didn’t hunt much…but one night after a few weeks of hunting he opened pretty quick on a hog when casted and it wasn’t long after that that he was a top hog dog…I don’t think he ever treed another coon thereafter…

Old Post 11-14-2022 07:18 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Looks like I'm getting my female back. I believe he gave her more than enough chance and she's clearly messed up from the move. It will be interesting to see how quickly she reverts back to her normal self..

Old Post 11-14-2022 07:23 PM
2ol2hunt
UKC Forum Member

Let us know!

Old Post 11-14-2022 10:13 PM
2ol2hunt is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 2ol2hunt Click here to Send 2ol2hunt a Private Message Click Here to Email 2ol2hunt Find more posts by 2ol2hunt Add 2ol2hunt to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jake waddell
UKC Forum Member

i had one last year do the same thing although the guy who bought her started hunting her the night he bought her an only kept her 4 days to which he hunted her everynight, i loaded her the night he brought her back and sent him a vedio of her treeing with the meat, he couldnt believe it. dogs are individuals 99% of us expect the dog to fit our personality, very hard sometimes to fit theirs, but those that do always have good dogs.

Old Post 11-15-2022 04:11 PM
jake waddell is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jake waddell Click here to Send jake waddell a Private Message Click Here to Email jake waddell Find more posts by jake waddell Add jake waddell to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I recently had a slightly different experience. I had a 7-year-old female and a 2 1/2-year-old female. I wasn't hunting the older one so I let a guy have to raise pups. The younger one wouldn't hunt and would hardly eat for a month. Then she started coming back. That was in June. She's herself again now.

Old Post 11-15-2022 06:25 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

So I picked my female up this morning. She was dropped off at a friend of mine house last night as he traveled through my state for the holidays. If I hadn't seen video proof of her being frightened at her new home I wouldn't have believed it. I approached the kennel this morning and said her name once and her reaction was ridiculous. You've never seen such an excited dog in your life. In 35 years of training coonhounds this is my first one man dog. Looks like I'll be keeping her for life,its a good thing she's an outstanding coondog.

Old Post 11-19-2022 05:52 PM
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

One man dog

My first straight coon only dog was exactly as your female. It took me a long time before she would hunt for me. My hunting buddies laughed at her, thought she was worthless. I knew better as I had tried her out before buying her. She finally came around and was one of the best coon dogs I ever owned. She was 4 years old when I bought her and was raised by the man I bought her from. Dogs are funny and some take much longer than others to operate for the new owner. I recently bought a Dual Grand Night that was raised from a pup by the man I bought her from and she operated great for me the first night out and every night I have hunted her. Dave

Old Post 11-20-2022 01:26 PM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wart
UKC Forum Member

Dog

When she comes out of dog house etc.wagging her tail for him he will know she's really ready it's going to take 3 weeks at least from your description females seem to be worse than males

Old Post 11-20-2022 03:18 PM
wart is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wart Click here to Send wart a Private Message Find more posts by wart Add wart to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Sounds like you're both glad she's back lol. I don't know why you sold her to begin with but I bet it won't happen again.

Old Post 11-21-2022 01:18 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave Richards
UKC Forum Member

One man dog

I would bet the bank that your dog would have eventually warmed up to her new owner. Yet, I understand the need for all of us to want to see a dog perform at its best even for a new owner. Most dogs will, but some just won't do that, it takes time and that's something a lot of us just don't want to put into a new dog. If it was me that bought her, I definitely would have given her ample time not just a couple of weeks or so to warm up to me. Now that's just me and I base that on my own experience over the years of buying top coon dogs that were raised and trained by one man. I always tried them before I bought them, so ability was NOT a question. I could afford to let them them have time to adjust to me as their new owner. When they trusted me enough to go hunting and tree their first coon for me, I knew we would be a good team. Dave

Old Post 11-23-2022 12:16 AM
Dave Richards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Richards Click here to Send Dave Richards a Private Message Click Here to Email Dave Richards Find more posts by Dave Richards Add Dave Richards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James B Grice
UKC Forum Member

I had two littermate Girls acted the same way when TRYING TO SELL THEM One was A VERY NICE FEMALE Both were coon treers ALONE or with Company One was sold twice and settled into business with the 2nd buyer, The Other Female WAS THE BEST She was sold and bought back 3 times The fourth buyer LOVES HER Wish I HAD EITHER BACK TODAY

Old Post 11-23-2022 12:39 AM
James B Grice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James B Grice Click here to Send James B Grice a Private Message Click Here to Email James B Grice Find more posts by James B Grice Add James B Grice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

It appears to me that Travis O. thought more of the dog than he did the money he’d been paid for her and that he is a man of his word.

How common are these 2 things today?

Old Post 11-23-2022 02:06 PM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Travis O.
UKC Forum Member

Dan, you are correct. I didn't intend to sell this man a project, I was selling him the real deal type of dog. I sold her because I prefer training a puppy into a nice dog instead of keeping a dog and watching it get old and die. I will probably have to do that with sassy because it would take a patient person to wait on her to adjust.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h1rGAbRNJeo9MJhu7

Her 1st night back, she went 3 for 3

Last edited by Travis O. on 11-23-2022 at 03:24 PM

Old Post 11-23-2022 03:06 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

I once sold Wilma when she was a Nt Ch to a man for quite a bit of money. She wouldn't hunt for him so I drove 12 hrs one way to get her back. She hunted fine when I got her back home. "We" finished her to Grand Nt and she raised about 30 pups including Gr Nt Bella. I am sure glad that she wouldn't hunt for him.

Old Post 11-23-2022 10:57 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote