UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > So you wont to buy a Polaris Ranger
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

So you wont to buy a Polaris Ranger

You may want to take this in to consideration. I bought my 2013 Ranger 900 XP in 2014. It was a great hunting vehicle for the first year, but after about 1700 miles, the trouble started. In the last 2-2.5 years I have been working on this thing constantly. I have replaced two axels, one front hub housing, all four wheel bearings, twice, and needing to replace them again, front rotor, caliper, and brake pads, and all the bushings on the A arms, rebuild the primary and secondary clutch and replaced the drive belt. That’s the easy stuff that I have fixed. Then it stopped shifting, because water got into the gear selector, which only has an o ring as a seal. The bearing in the steering gear box went out, so I had to replace the complete rack-n-pinion steering. And now, the bearings and seals in the main gearcase; the ones where the axels plug into are shot. Shadinc has volunteered to work on this for me, which has turned out to be a very tough job. Looks like the motor will have to be pulled to pull the main gearcase. These side by sides may be good if you don’t put them in the water and mud, but don’t believe what you see on youtube, because they just can’t take it. Looks like every time I work on it, it cost $300.00 or more for parts, but this time it will be considerably more. If I can figure out how to post pictures I’ll post some of what it’s looking like now.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:20 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

I put just over 2700 miles on my 2013 and things have started to happen. All costly to fix. I don't have mine jacked up and try to avoid mud holes but it has seen it's share of them but never on purpose. I hear through the grape vine that KUBOTA is coming out with one that will run 48MPH in October. If they do I will probably buy one in November.

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:55 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

I have a 2015 570FS bought new. Up till 4000 miles, nothing but oil changes/grease job's, nothing else. Around 4000, had to rebuild both clutches, new brake shoes all around, wheel bearings all around and replaced right rear axle. I have 5500 miles on it now and havent had any problems the last thousand miles.

I'm on a Ranger Facebook group and it seems that the overwelming majority of axle/clutch problems arise from using hugely oversized tires and 3-6 inch lift kits. Bellar has a 900 that had something like 17000 last time I was on it and nobody on this planet is harder on equipment than Marv Schmucker.

Polaris parts prices are stupid overpriced and I havent seen my dealer since I picked it up. I couldn't afford a dealer to even touch that thing.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 08-17-2017 at 05:00 PM

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:56 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BigContry
UKC Forum Member

I'm sure like yourself, I use mine, I don't go looking for mud but in south Louisiana, it's just a way of life. I'm going to sell this thing after the repairs, and plan on looking at the Honda 1000

Old Post 08-17-2017 04:58 PM
BigContry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BigContry Click here to Send BigContry a Private Message Click Here to Email BigContry Find more posts by BigContry Add BigContry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lipperman22
UKC Forum Member

Buy the new cub cadet side by side

Old Post 08-17-2017 06:27 PM
Lipperman22 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lipperman22 Click here to Send Lipperman22 a Private Message Click Here to Email Lipperman22 Find more posts by Lipperman22 Add Lipperman22 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Lipperman22
Buy the new cub cadet side by side

I drove one that was hydraulic dive, hated it. I dont know if they are all like that.Every time you let off the gas it was like slamming on the brakes. I bought the Honda 1000, best piece of equipment I have ever gotten.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-17-2017 07:08 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

I've owned 8 Polaris sides x sides and 1 can am. I'm switching to Honda this fall when they go on sale.

Old Post 08-17-2017 08:04 PM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sonny Phipps
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I drove one that was hydraulic dive, hated it. I dont know if they are all like that.Every time you let off the gas it was like slamming on the brakes. I bought the Honda 1000, best piece of equipment I have ever gotten.

Honda pioneer is the best unit going in my opinion. Great transmission and very dependable motor.

Old Post 08-17-2017 08:38 PM
Sonny Phipps is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sonny Phipps Click here to Send Sonny Phipps a Private Message Click Here to Email Sonny Phipps Find more posts by Sonny Phipps Add Sonny Phipps to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DMG_3
UKC Forum Member

Bigcountry, now that we know its junk,,, how much you asking for it AFTER, all the problems are fixed?

Old Post 08-17-2017 10:19 PM
DMG_3 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DMG_3 Click here to Send DMG_3 a Private Message Find more posts by DMG_3 Add DMG_3 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jgarrett
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
I put just over 2700 miles on my 2013 and things have started to happen. All costly to fix. I don't have mine jacked up and try to avoid mud holes but it has seen it's share of them but never on purpose. I hear through the grape vine that KUBOTA is coming out with one that will run 48MPH in October. If they do I will probably buy one in November.

We have had several Kubota UTV at work and they were nothing but trouble. I don't know about the new ones but I would be hesitant to buy.

Old Post 08-17-2017 11:44 PM
Jgarrett is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jgarrett Click here to Send Jgarrett a Private Message Click Here to Email Jgarrett Find more posts by Jgarrett Add Jgarrett to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fox_91
UKC Forum Member

We've got one, countless miles and hours, farm use moving wagons and other various things it shouldn't have hauled or pulled and it's been hunted out of. All that's ever been done to it has been spark plugs, a fuel line, and oil changes. And 3 sets of tires. No complaints at all except the seat got torn up in a hail storm a year or two back and now it's not comfortable.

Old Post 08-17-2017 11:48 PM
fox_91 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fox_91 Click here to Send fox_91 a Private Message Click Here to Email fox_91 Find more posts by fox_91 Add fox_91 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

yep

Got 06 john Deer diesel !! I thout dang thing when I had to replace the belt one time !! takes about 3 min !! guess I will stick with it after hearing all this !!had it about 8 yrs now !!

Old Post 08-18-2017 12:02 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SwampCreekHound
UKC Forum Member

CAN AM DEFENDER

I put it through whatever is in front of me. Unless something goes way wrong in the future, the defender will be all i ever own. I ride/hunt/mud with every brand and after installing a halo locker the defender is my favorite second would be the honda.

Old Post 08-18-2017 02:30 AM
SwampCreekHound is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SwampCreekHound Click here to Send SwampCreekHound a Private Message Find more posts by SwampCreekHound Add SwampCreekHound to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tim griffin
UKC Forum Member

I had a ranger and it was 300 for this 300 for that and so on. It was a 2012 and a money pit. Traded for a Odes it tops out in mid 50s and no problems with it wouldn't trade 10 new rangers for it

GRCH GRNITECH SHOCK STYLE RACHET ... (The loudest Plott Alive) high scoring dog Friday night plott days 2016 high scoring plott dog Saturday night 2016. 2016 world hunt qualifier.
2016 Top 100
2016 Oklahoma State Champion
2016 Purina Breed Race Winner
2017 World Hunt Qualifier

Old Post 08-18-2017 02:35 AM
tim griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tim griffin Click here to Send tim griffin a Private Message Click Here to Email tim griffin Find more posts by tim griffin Add tim griffin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
James Garrison
UKC Forum Member

I have a 2013 polaris, sportsman 850, no problems but all you guys got me spooked now.

Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Hobo
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Luke
Gr. Nt. Ch. Garrisons Brindle Honey
Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Lead Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Belle
Nite Champion Garrisons Brindle Buckshot HTX
At Stud Grand Nite Ch. Garrisons Brindle Trax

Old Post 08-18-2017 01:36 PM
James Garrison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for James Garrison Click here to Send James Garrison a Private Message Click Here to Email James Garrison Find more posts by James Garrison Add James Garrison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I have a 900xp and my dad has a 570 mid size ranger. I bought my 900 to strictly mud ride with and that's all I did with it for the first 700 miles. I had the whole buggy torn down 3 days after I bought it to snorkel put the lift on and wire the radio up. I have broken a lot of stuff, 2 front diffs, 1 rear gear case no telling how many axles, a couple tie rod ends and had to have a complete wiring harness for it because of the mud and water. I have only put 1 set of bearings in it, 1 belt, and 2 or 3 sets of brake pads. Since I started using it for hunting and just cruising around I haven't had a moments trouble with it and it now has around 950 miles. My dads 570 has around 1500 trouble free miles,we haven't had to replace anything on it.

Old Post 08-18-2017 02:43 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
firebird
UKC Forum Member

A few friends have polaris sportsman and nothing but problems.

My dads got an arctic cat and id stay away from them they are just machines assembled with a bunch of different manufactures parts.

Ive got a Teryx- clutch weights, stiffer secondary spring, 30" tires, 3" lift, air box, snorkels, and chipped. about 1700 miles last time I looked. It plays on the weekends and works through the week hunting. NO issues yet touch wood lol

Old Post 08-18-2017 03:01 PM
firebird is offline Click Here to See the Profile for firebird Click here to Send firebird a Private Message Find more posts by firebird Add firebird to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

I have some buddies that left other brands and went with a teryx 4 and all of them have been very pleased with them. We rode Artic cats for a year or two but the drive line on them is complete junk. I had a 850 sportsman and had good luck with it and that's the reason I ended up buying my ranger. My dad had a rhino that had almost 6000 miles on it before he bought his ranger. We never had any problems out of the rhino just no power steering.

Old Post 08-18-2017 04:06 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEST EVER
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by BLAKE WHEELER
I have a 900xp and my dad has a 570 mid size ranger. I bought my 900 to strictly mud ride with and that's all I did with it for the first 700 miles. I had the whole buggy torn down 3 days after I bought it to snorkel put the lift on and wire the radio up. I have broken a lot of stuff, 2 front diffs, 1 rear gear case no telling how many axles, a couple tie rod ends and had to have a complete wiring harness for it because of the mud and water. I have only put 1 set of bearings in it, 1 belt, and 2 or 3 sets of brake pads. Since I started using it for hunting and just cruising around I haven't had a moments trouble with it and it now has around 950 miles. My dads 570 has around 1500 trouble free miles,we haven't had to replace anything on it.

We too have a full size 570 and around 2000 miles and no issues at all and we are two pretty big ol boys and yes we have used it! So far very, very satsified. Besides the other ones do not have the leg room that I was looking for.

GRNTCHGRCH PR Super Blue Riptide
GRNITECH 'PR' Prairie Creek Blue Big Horn

Mark Robbins Home : 812-547-1358 cell 812-309-8290
Corey Robbins Cell : 812-608-1645 / Home 812-547-2775

Old Post 08-18-2017 04:58 PM
BEST EVER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BEST EVER Click here to Send BEST EVER a Private Message Find more posts by BEST EVER Add BEST EVER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tim MACHA
UKC Forum Member

I will stick with my Gator

Got an '09 620 and it has been abused beyond what it should be. A couple years ago, I replaced a rear axle because I had tore the CV boot. Last year replaced the lift pump in the tank. Still running original belt. When it is completely worn out, I will get another one. Doesn't run as fast as a Ranger, but that is not an issue for me.

Good people do not need laws to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws (Plato)

Old Post 08-18-2017 05:06 PM
Tim MACHA is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim MACHA Click here to Send Tim MACHA a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim MACHA Find more posts by Tim MACHA Add Tim MACHA to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JiM
UKC Forum Member

It should probably be kept in mind that Polaris accounts for 59% of all SxS UTV sales nationwide. That means Polaris sells more SxS's than all the other companies combined. So it stands to reason they would also lead in the number of complaints. Unless we are really are nation of idiots, there has to be something substantially better about Polaris than all the rest.

AKC/UKC GrNtCh Sizemore's Timber Jam Jessi 12/21/04 to 1/21/2011 R.I.P.

Last edited by JiM on 08-18-2017 at 07:55 PM

Old Post 08-18-2017 07:53 PM
JiM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JiM Click here to Send JiM a Private Message Click Here to Email JiM Find more posts by JiM Add JiM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

Imop none of the sxs's I have ridden ride as good as the full size rangers. My dad said if he ever buys another ranger it will be a full size because the double a-arm setup on the front of the full size rides a lot better than the strut set up on the mid size rangers.

Old Post 08-18-2017 08:40 PM
Smoke
UKC Forum Member

I saw some new Mahindra's at the state fair they look like nice machines

Old Post 08-18-2017 09:58 PM
Smoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoke Click here to Send Smoke a Private Message Find more posts by Smoke Add Smoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by JiM
Unless we are really are nation of idiots, there has to be something substantially better about Polaris than all the rest.

Yes there is, they are much better than the rest at marketing. Much of the UTV world ran behind on getting out quality machines but once they got in the game they are producing a better rig. Honda and Can AM are a nicer machine.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 08-19-2017 03:40 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
H.W. Moore
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Smoke
I saw some new Mahindra's at the state fair they look like nice machines
Made in Batesville Arkansas U.S.A. also!!

Old Post 08-19-2017 04:25 AM
H.W. Moore is offline Click Here to See the Profile for H.W. Moore Click here to Send H.W. Moore a Private Message Click Here to Email H.W. Moore Find more posts by H.W. Moore Add H.W. Moore to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote