UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > English > trapping coons
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
allenglish33
UKC Forum Member

trapping coons

Just wondering what everyone uses in live traps to catch coons. Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-30-2013 06:01 AM
allenglish33 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for allenglish33 Click here to Send allenglish33 a Private Message Click Here to Email allenglish33 Find more posts by allenglish33 Add allenglish33 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John Sisley
UKC Forum Member

I use sardines if I am trapping in an area away from domestic animals. If I am trapping around houses I use marshmellows, this helps prevent catching house cats.

Old Post 03-30-2013 01:35 PM
John Sisley is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John Sisley Click here to Send John Sisley a Private Message Click Here to Email John Sisley Find more posts by John Sisley Add John Sisley to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Reid
UKC Forum Member

My best success has come from using popcorn.

Old Post 03-30-2013 01:56 PM
Rob Reid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Reid Click here to Send Rob Reid a Private Message Find more posts by Rob Reid Add Rob Reid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hardtymes
UKC Forum Member

PEANUT BUTTER!

COONHUNTER =since 1969 RETIRED>2010
<>OVER THE HILL TRAINER! !! 606-286-4690

Old Post 03-30-2013 04:02 PM
hardtymes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hardtymes Click here to Send hardtymes a Private Message Visit hardtymes's homepage! Find more posts by hardtymes Add hardtymes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jcolvin
UKC Forum Member

trapping

Honey bun

Old Post 03-31-2013 04:22 AM
jcolvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jcolvin Click here to Send jcolvin a Private Message Click Here to Email jcolvin Find more posts by jcolvin Add jcolvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kody
UKC Forum Member

All

Sound pretty good! I will sometimes use marshmallow and jelly one that smells strong

Home of:
Silver Ch Stylish Pit
Ntch Mr Wild Child Rambo (1-win)

All Co-owned with Colt Baldwin

Old Post 03-31-2013 04:02 PM
Kody is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Kody Click here to Send Kody a Private Message Click Here to Email Kody Find more posts by Kody Add Kody to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gentry's English
UKC Forum Member

I use kipper snacks. In my live traps and set them along ditches the oil has a strong sent that lasts for days and floats on water. Set near a ditch pour the oil in the water and it leaves you sent trails hundreds of yards long leading them to your trap. Set up wind of woodlots and a long a ditch and you got a set that covers a good area and you don't have to wait for them to just stumble on your set. I have caught 5 coons in one night all with the same trap by doing this. I just kept going back and checking it.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Old Post 03-31-2013 06:09 PM
Gentry's English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gentry's English Click here to Send Gentry's English a Private Message Click Here to Email Gentry's English Find more posts by Gentry's English Add Gentry's English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike thomason
UKC Forum Member

What are kipper snacks
never heard of them
Is it something like sardines?

Old Post 03-31-2013 06:49 PM
mike thomason is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mike thomason Click here to Send mike thomason a Private Message Find more posts by mike thomason Add mike thomason to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
edwardulikowski
UKC Forum Member

bait

use vaniilia extract you can take some crackers a little peanut butter and some extract make a paste coons can smell it from a long way off and you wont catch as many skunks and possums with a sweet bait as opposed to using sardines

Old Post 03-31-2013 08:07 PM
edwardulikowski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for edwardulikowski Click here to Send edwardulikowski a Private Message Find more posts by edwardulikowski Add edwardulikowski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gentry's English
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mike thomason
What are kipper snacks
never heard of them
Is it something like sardines?

Yeah they are fish..... you will find them next to sardines. If you set your traps off the ground you want catch skunks as for opossums we don't have them here never had to deal with them.

GRCH PR Oney's Indian Creek Big Echo (GR NT CH Oney's Outback Dan X Oney's Pearl) 2013 World Qualifier

Old Post 03-31-2013 10:20 PM
Gentry's English is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gentry's English Click here to Send Gentry's English a Private Message Click Here to Email Gentry's English Find more posts by Gentry's English Add Gentry's English to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote