UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Treeing Walkers > new walker puppy.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
redboneman1997
UKC Forum Member

new walker puppy.

I got a walker puppy out of dan's hang tight. What is the proper age to show him a live coon? Hes is 2 months and a few days. He will follow a dead coon to tree and get on it but he won't bark. Help please

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-22-2014 01:34 PM
redboneman1997 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for redboneman1997 Click here to Send redboneman1997 a Private Message Click Here to Email redboneman1997 Find more posts by redboneman1997 Add redboneman1997 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackson87
UKC Forum Member

I like to wait till around 6 to 8 months old to show pups a coon.Showing them too many cage coons is not good.Spring time should be a perfect to start takin the pup for walks during the day and letting it learn the woods.Goodluck.

Old Post 01-22-2014 06:09 PM
Jackson87 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackson87 Click here to Send Jackson87 a Private Message Find more posts by Jackson87 Add Jackson87 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

For the first months of life let him be a puppy . Plenty of attention & love . Work on basic obedience in the coming months . Leading (to heel ) coming when called , minding you ect . It's never to early for day time walks in the woods , letting him explore around over logs through fences & all the new smells in the timber . You can even work on leading through the timber on your way in & out (better than getting pulled into every tree & bush by a half grown pup when it's time to start . He's to young for cage coon & they should be done in moderation . 5 months or so is ok & you can even turn the occassional one loose for him around then . Some are early starters - some are not - but they are all puppies let him be one . I usually start taking mine at night with me around 6 mo with my older dog & some by themselves . GOOD LUCK !

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER PRO SPORT TRUCK WINNER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 01-23-2014 07:58 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GLANCY'S 7 MILE
UKC Forum Member

Don't rush it! If they got it in them it will eventually come out! Let a pup be a pup. I start with teaching it commands like to come to me when called, to heel, to lead, to load. Let it know your the boss yet you don't want it to be scared of you!

Around 6 to 8 months I begin getting it used to riding in the box, then shooting guns around them, then walks in the woods in the day time, along with some SCENT TRAINING (NOT SIGHT), and then I start taking them at night. I usually walk them in and let them wonder a few times and see how they act when I shoot a coon out.

Based on how they act in that situation combined with their level of intelligence and maturity, determines if I show them a live coon.

GRNITECH PKC CH 'PR' HARD KNOCKIN STYLISH MAC (RIP)
GRNITECH X2 PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE CLYDE
NITECH PKC CH 'PR' GLANCY'S 7 MILE MERCY

Old Post 01-26-2014 06:42 AM
GLANCY'S 7 MILE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GLANCY'S 7 MILE Click here to Send GLANCY'S 7 MILE a Private Message Click Here to Email GLANCY'S 7 MILE Visit GLANCY'S 7 MILE's homepage! Find more posts by GLANCY'S 7 MILE Add GLANCY'S 7 MILE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote