UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Redbones > More Grit
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

More Grit

What lines of redbone coonhounds are Tuff Enuff to be used on big game.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 12-20-2020 08:07 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OLD TIMER
UKC Forum Member

Brains way more important--

then "grit"

To a cat or bear, they all taste the same.

Old Post 12-20-2020 01:14 PM
OLD TIMER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for OLD TIMER Click Here to Email OLD TIMER Find more posts by OLD TIMER Add OLD TIMER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

The bear hunters that I know don't want a dog with a lot of grit. They don't last very long and cost a lot in vet bills. They want a dog with endurance, speed, drive and heart.

Old Post 12-20-2020 05:52 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

question

If you are coon hunting your hound by itself , and it is trailing a very large Wisconsin coon, do you want your hound to fight it , or stay out of harms way. My female has trouble getting coons to climb because she stays out reach of the coon. She has even treed 2 porkys without getting a single quill in her. I heard the porky growling at her from the ground both times , so it was not already up a tree. I have never shot a coon out to my female , she is 3 1/2 years old . I always hunt my own property which is part of a swamp that is over 5 square miles. I ran into an old coon hunting buddy who said we need to shot some coon out to her , and then she will get the courage to fight coons on the ground. Does this sound like the right thing to do.

Old Post 12-21-2020 01:26 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

more info

She has no problems with small coon but the bigger coons end up being very long tracks or the coon stays on the ground and she will let out hugh bawls in the coons face. She is very accurate but has trouble getting the big coon to climb . She has always been hunted by herself , never with another hound.

Old Post 12-21-2020 01:50 AM
jdgher
UKC Forum Member

GRIT?

I don't know about that. I've had real gritty coon fighting dogs and dogs that wouldn't hardly fight a coon (mostly just bay them). Both types treed hundreds if not thousands of coon (The good dogs).
The ones with fighting grit get tore up from time to time. If given a choice I'll take the bay dog. Grit isn't that big of a deal to me.

GRNTCH PR' Steve-O and Chili's Red Flow
NTCH PR' Twisters Musical Red Huey DNA-VIP Perf Sire 06'07 Deceased 11/07
Former Home of
NTCH 'PR' Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty
NTCH. CH PR' SawBlade Red Reckon
NTCH. CH PR' Gher's Timber Mt. Brandy
Breeder of
GRNTCH PR' Daugherty's Red BUBBA
NTCH CH PR' BA'S Tree Top Rockin Griddle
NTCH PR' Lickcreek Backwoods Lil Red Annie

Old Post 12-28-2020 02:52 AM
jdgher is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jdgher Click here to Send jdgher a Private Message Click Here to Email jdgher Find more posts by jdgher Add jdgher to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

last night

Thanks for the input. Just last night I was out for over 3 hours in the swamp . It was froze up solid with 1/2 inch of snow. Coon tracks all over the place , the snow had been on the ice for about 4 days. Took about 40 mins. to get a track going but then she was on it for over 2 hours. Many times she was baying , I could tell she was looking at the coon. It never did tree. She covered 80 acres running the track as seen on my garmin . She was about 1/2 mile into the swamp from the truck so I drove to the next cross road 1 mile over. The road is a dead end that ends on the west end of the swamp . She was just over 500 yards in , extremely thick , with some of the 15 feet high broom grass mixed in for fun. I got to within 50 yards of her, was able to call her to me , then headed back to the truck. Sure got my exercise that night . The week before I had her out in the same spot , before it was frozen solid. She had a coon treed in about 30 to 40 mins. that night. Smaller coon was not that high up in the tree, sitting in the first crotch in the tree. I wish she would force the coon to climb instead of trailing soo long. I also had some hounds that would get their ears and face pretty chewed up. This redbone only had blood on her one time , I was not sure if it was here's or what ever she was fighting. Would like to hear some more opinions, positive or negative gladly accepted.

Old Post 12-28-2020 07:39 AM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

Is it possible she's doing something besides baying when you think she is all those times ? If not is it possible she's baying something other then a coon ?
Not saying it can't don't or ain't happening but if it's happening on a regular basis something else must be goin on. Unless coons run different in Wisconsin.

When she "bays" and moves on I'd walk to that spot on the Garmin and see what's there. Tracks in the snow don't lie.

Old Post 12-28-2020 05:38 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George pouliott
UKC Forum Member

Grit

I got 2 here that are so rough on game they'll get killed . 1 cold nosed 1 hot nosed . Occasionally tree a bear here not legal here either . But they sure won't back down if it's 200 or less lbs it's caught . Both pretty smart dog's but will test your limits . Old male off Big Red Jim younger male off Morans Midnight Bandit .

Old Post 12-28-2020 05:55 PM
George pouliott is offline Click Here to See the Profile for George pouliott Click here to Send George pouliott a Private Message Click Here to Email George pouliott Find more posts by George pouliott Add George pouliott to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

thanks

thanks for input. We have more snow coming this week , I will check her when we get fresh snow. She has sight chased deer a couple times. She will go about 50 yards and then comes right back to me . She never barks when she does this. I used the metatarsal gland on an electric fencer when she was 3 months old, then when she was 7 months I used a fresh road killed deer to remind her what deer are all about. The night we were out for 3 hours , she spent about 40 mins looking for a track covering about a 20 acre area , cover the whole area. She did not open till she was on the other side of the 40 acre parcel. While she was opening on track she covered another 40 acre parcel behind mine. I have permission on 135 acres around my land. I own 50 acres of the swamp , I bought the land for deer hunting. There is probably at least 10 deer per 40 acres in the swamp. In the spring you will see groups for 30 to 50 deer in the farmers fields surrounding the swamp. When you buy a bow or gun license you get 5 free doe permits. That means I have a 2 buck permits , one for bow , one for gun , and then 10 doe permits I got for free.
[url]https://www.google.com/maps/place/E1834+Co+Rd+X,+Luxemburg,+WI+54217/@44.6675414,-87.6708183,3289m/data=[/ url]!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8802c83da85ead15:0xd41801
f17ae865bb!8m2!3d44.665176!4d-87.675893 . I will try to paste this link so you can see where I hunt . In the summer when the mosquitos get bad this area is impossible to hunt unless you are a real die hard or a little crazy , and it helps to be both.. Too much for me , I'm not that young any more. Still looking to hear from other people to see if other lines of coonhounds are more aggresive than others.

Old Post 12-29-2020 08:14 AM
thecoondawg76
UKC Forum Member

Some can be some produce that pretty regular.

Some are filled with ones that can tree coon and even have a good pile of hunt titles but still can't fight their way out of a paper sack. Some people just aren't worried about grit long as they put a coon up.
Me personally I want something that will pull something off of me if I get attacked and that isn't going to get me in a bind if I shoot one out. Mine have also been used on bear to good effect when taught to run em but have enough brains not to pile on something 5 times their size. But you put a coon in front of em and it's dead period. The one I started my line with use to go out with a grade female I had and they were open trailers but would run coon down pretty regular. Kill em and bring them home and put them on my front porch. My mom loved that. :-) Good times! That's been almost 30 years now.

And the closest ones alive to GrNtCh Oklahoma Twister (the #1 reproducing son of Fireball) and GrNtCh Yellow River Rocky (the #2 reproducing son of Fireball) . Thanks to alot of help from my friends.

Handler of:
NtCh GrCh "PR" Dan Langston (Has 2 wins towards GrNtCh in the hunts) ( 10yr old owner asked for me to bring him back to his home) (wouldn't sell) (Ch D8 Dozer (bear hound from all coondog stock, out of my breeding) x NtCh Music/ Kitty) (33% Fireball thru heavy line breeding the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded hound alive, who is hunt titled )

Home of:
'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady (GrNtCh. Barnyard Horse Harry x GrCh Daisy (was the highest Fireball blooded female alive)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Toes ('PR' Atomic Fireball's Fast Talker (nephew to Bookem Danno) x 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Harry Lady

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Dixie (NtCh GrCh. 'PR' Dan Langston x 'PR'Harry Lady)

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Two Toes (NtCh GrCh Dan Langston x Atomic Fireball's Toes
Didn't have the deep hunt style I like but is a solid coonhound. Been treeing her own since her second night in the woods at 8 months old.

Former home of:
(Qualified for the 2011 World Hunt) NtCh. 'PR'Swann's Lonesome Red Music/ Kitty RIP (NtCh.Twister's Musical Red Huey x NtCh. Sawblade Red Reckon) RIP

GrNtCh Fireball's Jackpot Jackie, highest placing Redbone female ever, in the UKC World Hunt . RIP

GrCh. 'PR' Atomic Fireball's Little Daisy RIP (Was the highest GrNtCh Fireball blooded female in the world at the time) (Qualified for the 2010 World Show).

'PR' Atomic Fireball's Red River (Daisy x Brown's Oklahoma Twister) RIP (heatstroke)

Ch. D-8 Dozer (Was the Highest blooded GrNtCh Fireball blooded male in the world until I had the GrNtCh Twister pups from here) Was sent to be bear hunted because of his size and me being disabled. RIP

First and only sons of the Old GrNtCh #7 Historical Reproducer Brown's Okl. Twister (the #1 Producing Son of Fireball) in 15 years..

http://atomicfireballkennels.webs.com/
http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthrea...threadid=341228
Steve Bell

Old Post 01-01-2021 12:24 AM
thecoondawg76 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thecoondawg76 Click here to Send thecoondawg76 a Private Message Visit thecoondawg76's homepage! Find more posts by thecoondawg76 Add thecoondawg76 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jack Bingham
UKC Forum Member

Most dogs are A$$ Grabbing CHEER LEADERS

A screw up on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

HOME OF

GRNitech PKC Platinum CH PR Mosquito Creek Danno's Buggs 2018 American Redbone Champion. 2019 World Champion Female. 2020 PURINA NATIONALS CH.

GRNITE CH Mosquito Creek Hank 2020 top 100

NITE CH SILVER CH Jersey Girl 2020 Top 100

GRNITE CH SILVER CH. Wipeout Small Pox 2020 Top 100

NITECH River Valley Rain

R.I.P.
GRNitech PKC CH GRCH Awesome Mosquito Crk. Lick 2016 World Champion Redbone Female

R.I.P.
DUAL GRAND PR ANDREWS MOSQUITO CREEK GO MAN SAM DNA-P

R.I.P.
GRNITECH PR Thunder creek Squeller 2cast wins NRCA. 4 cast wins AKC qualified for AKC 2009,2010,2011 world hunt. Qualified for 2008,2009 and 2010 UKC worlds. World Finalist at the 2010 UKC Worlds. Money won in PKC

R.I.P. NITECH PR Faith's Image ( 3-UKC 1st) cast win at NRCA 6TH AT ARCA Money won in PKC

Look us up on Facebook: Mosquito Creek Redbones

Old Post 01-01-2021 12:56 AM
Jack Bingham is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jack Bingham Click here to Send Jack Bingham a Private Message Click Here to Email Jack Bingham Visit Jack Bingham's homepage! Find more posts by Jack Bingham Add Jack Bingham to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote