UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Breeds > Black & Tans > UKC Hunts For A Yard Stick
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

UKC Hunts For A Yard Stick

May be we are useing the wrong yard stick, to judge our hounds by. Back when hunts were 3 hours, in the later stages, of the hunt, a hound with a good cold nose, had an advantage over a hot nose dog. Today, we are breeding for hurry, hurry up, a lot of dogs, run the coon backwards, and grab a slick tree, just to be first. I love to hear a good cold nose track dog, fly with a cold track, with his head in the air, and get treed with the meat.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-03-2015 05:44 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan D.
UKC Forum Member

X2

Old Post 03-03-2015 04:09 PM
Dan D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dan D. Click here to Send Dan D. a Private Message Click Here to Email Dan D. Find more posts by Dan D. Add Dan D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
letstreeacoon
UKC Forum Member

agree

I agree its all about the tree .Most dont care if theres a coon there or not.I get to the tree i want see see some meat.I dont think there are to many cold nose dogs out there any more.[have blessed day]

Old Post 03-03-2015 06:14 PM
letstreeacoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for letstreeacoon Click here to Send letstreeacoon a Private Message Click Here to Email letstreeacoon Find more posts by letstreeacoon Add letstreeacoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crusader
UKC Forum Member

the hunts are not a measuring stick at all.i have seen dogs i wouldnt feed win.i hunted with a female 1 night she had 3 first place wins.the little dog wouldnt even get out of range of your hunting light.but she could sure tree a feeder bucket coon.
people are putting to much stock in papers.papers dont tree coons.

Old Post 03-03-2015 07:14 PM
crusader is offline Click Here to See the Profile for crusader Click here to Send crusader a Private Message Click Here to Email crusader Find more posts by crusader Add crusader to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
letstreeacoon
UKC Forum Member

amen

AMEN i been sayin that for years.never seen a set of papers tree a coon.I have put dogs on here for sale from time to time.People call an all they are concerned about are the papers.

Old Post 03-03-2015 08:07 PM
letstreeacoon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for letstreeacoon Click here to Send letstreeacoon a Private Message Click Here to Email letstreeacoon Find more posts by letstreeacoon Add letstreeacoon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jreilly
UKC Forum Member

Cold nose but can move a track

if you had a female that could move a cold track and have the meat most of the time who would you breed to that had these same traits ?

Old Post 03-04-2015 01:19 AM
jreilly is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jreilly Click here to Send jreilly a Private Message Find more posts by jreilly Add jreilly to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce Hobbs
UKC Forum Member

Breeding mine to a real stud Dog!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go straight to Tex. He has about all the traits to make a coon dog in anybodys book. Remember I said Tex.

Be who you are and say what you feel Because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.

Bruce Hobbs
918 645 3740
Rickyman777@gmail.com

Old Post 03-04-2015 02:11 AM
Bruce Hobbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce Hobbs Click here to Send Bruce Hobbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce Hobbs Find more posts by Bruce Hobbs Add Bruce Hobbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlackDogs26
UKC Forum Member

My dog isn't as fast as most...mostly cause he's handicapped missing a paw but he's one accurate son of a gun and that's most important to me. That's how he made night champion. Other dogs slick and he took his time working tough tracks and got the coon...even shut the other dogs out. I was so proud of my handicapped black dog that night 👍😁

*GRCH 'PR' Superstar Sydney*(Dual grand grimes hi dollar. dj drummer x Scooby female)
*Ch midnight molly
*Nitech Grch 'pr' Weinstocks screaming Diva

*CH 'PR' Corwin's ol' Red (Huck a Buck bred) 2010 KING OF HUNT AT OHIO ENGLISH SECTIONAL (RIP 7/17/2011) NEAR SILENT ON TRACK BUT COONDOG ALL THE WAY!!

Old Post 03-04-2015 06:54 PM
BlackDogs26 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BlackDogs26 Click here to Send BlackDogs26 a Private Message Click Here to Email BlackDogs26 Find more posts by BlackDogs26 Add BlackDogs26 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Re: UKC Hunts For A Yard Stick

quote:
Originally posted by JOE H BROOKS
May be we are useing the wrong yard stick, to judge our hounds by. Back when hunts were 3 hours, in the later stages, of the hunt, a hound with a good cold nose, had an advantage over a hot nose dog. Today, we are breeding for hurry, hurry up, a lot of dogs, run the coon backwards, and grab a slick tree, just to be first. I love to hear a good cold nose track dog, fly with a cold track, with his head in the air, and get treed with the meat.

You have to have plus points to win, so slick trees can't win a cast so I don't understand how that would affect the yard stick. However many many me too dogs get mistaked for a coondog at the hunts. But if you study the scores you can usally figure those dogs out when they score 7 or 800 one nite and 200 the next. Look at the dogs that are consistent form nite to nite. Those are the dogs getting it done on there own.

Old Post 03-07-2015 02:54 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

The comp. hunts are becoming a more bastardized version of coonhunting, the more time goes on.

IMO, one shining little light in all this is the HTX. Its dog versus coon. Isn't that what coonhunting is supposed to be? If done right, you go to the woods with the inspector. The inspector has no agenda or axe to grind and besides just evaluating your dog, the inspector is going to be a witness.

IMO, if improvements can be made in the sport, this is where it can most likely happen. HTX's don't evaluate tracking ability, but why can't the evaluation process be expanded to show how long and how far a dog worked a track? Why not make the evaluation an electronic record that includes a video of the dog treeing and perhaps catches his track mouth and locate? Or, have his Garmin track viewable on the 'net? How nice would it be to get on the internet and go click on a potential stud dog's HTX record? Not only do you see the evaluation form, have the ph. no. and email address of the inspector, but you also have some pictures, Garmin info. and video?

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 03-07-2015 01:28 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

The HTX program , seriously how many ways can that be manipulated by the crooks of the dog world

Rebecca , know one has ever confused a Me Too Dog for a coon dog , They always get a bad rap their just slow coon dogs , that needed to be culled

joe we need to go hunting , I want to see these dogs you have , and a dog flying with his head up in the air running a track , more than likely its not a cold track

Old Post 03-07-2015 03:57 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John D
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell Eads
The HTX program , seriously how many ways can that be manipulated by the crooks of the dog world

Probably as many ways as nite hunts are manipulated by crooks of the dog world.

I know its a big assumption but if HTX and nite hunts are both done legit, the HTX is still more about coonhunting, imo.

HTX is not as flashy and doesn't look as good splashed across magazines and the internet but coonhunting is a man, dog, coon, and the woods at night.

Coonhunting isn't about publicity, one-upping another person or tearing up Facebook with "look at me" type stuff.....

JMO. I'll shuddup, now....

Click here to visit The B&T Coonhunters Message Forum for news, views, open discussion, ads, and event winners in the B&T Breed (Registration, with your full name, required)

Click here to see my Dog List

Old Post 03-07-2015 05:07 PM
John D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for John D Click here to Send John D a Private Message Click Here to Email John D Visit John D's homepage! Find more posts by John D Add John D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

Look at me type stuff makes it more interesting , And honestly im not sure that 70% of the winning dogs out there would leave your feet by their self , the HTX thing can be accomplished at a bar and buying the judge a drink or 2 or even a caged coon being used , I know nothing about it other than its you your dog and a judge , If it takes a dog 40 min to find a coon 100 yards and another 40 min to tree it ,,, Does that dog need a degree and papers that says it a coon dog by its self ,,, Not to me it don't

Old Post 03-07-2015 11:21 PM
Darrell Eads is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Darrell Eads Click here to Send Darrell Eads a Private Message Click Here to Email Darrell Eads Find more posts by Darrell Eads Add Darrell Eads to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

"Rebecca , know one has ever confused a Me Too Dog for a coon dog , They always get a bad rap their just slow coon dogs , that needed to be culled"

Really!!!! What is your definition of a "Me too" dog??? Maybe we are not on the same page.

Old Post 03-08-2015 12:51 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darrell Eads
UKC Forum Member

Let me turn the page and see if we are , I was being sarcastic , A me too dog is the dog who beats them guys that think they have a dead loaner , and then they go around saying it was a me too dog that beat them , Because that dog helped tree his coon and the other dogs coon and maybe one of his own ,,, But hes still considered a me to dog because he didn't get every first tree

Hey I have had my share of them , and the one I have is not to proud to back one now ,,,so what was the Question

Hows Lindy ? tell her I said Hello

Old Post 03-08-2015 03:05 AM
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

A countdown on tree. 1st or 4th strike I could care less, 1st tree important. 2-4 tree give em 25 or nothing don't matter. The measuring stick been broke a while.

Old Post 03-08-2015 03:43 AM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darwin barber
UKC Forum Member

sumtimes it takes a good nose to keep a hot track hot,when a coon wont climb during the hot weather,in a dry soy bean patch,but he wound up catcing the coon about 2hrs later,seen a lot dogs hit hot but let the coon get to far ahead and lose it because it was 2 dry,

Old Post 03-17-2015 04:17 PM
darwin barber is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darwin barber Click here to Send darwin barber a Private Message Click Here to Email darwin barber Find more posts by darwin barber Add darwin barber to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Larry B.
UKC Forum Member

John D.
I agree with you I like the idea of your dog being evaluated. I'm all about the HTXs. I also like your idea that it could go steps farther with evaulating tracks and such.
It's not as easy as you think gettin a pass on your hound. Think of all the sour nites of bad huntin you forget about when you have several hunts that you remember cause they were gooduns.
Well HTX, you have to take what ever time and what ever timber you get guided to.
I agree that there is always going to be the dishonest that will find the gray area in the rules or just downright cheat. For the most part that is not the case. IMO
Happy Tracks!
Larry

NITE CH GRCH. TIM'S HURRICANE CREEK DOZER HTX DNA-P (GrndSireBTTBCane)
NITE CH. LARRY'S HURRICANE HAWKGONE DNA-P (BTTB BlackHawk) 2018-2019 PERFORMANCE SIRE
CH. HURRICANE STORMIN LUCY LOU (Sire Ike) (Half Owner Jason & Joey of Hurricane Creek B&T Kennel II)
CH HURRICANE ATNITE BIG HOWLER (My 5th generation son!) (Sire Hurricane HawkGone) (GrandSire Dozer)
GR CH 3 IKE'S BLACK JOE (Sire- GrNiteChGrCh Cooper's Stormin Ike)
CH.HURRICANE CREEK ROGUE ONE (Sire Howler, Grand Sire HawkGone)
LARRY'S HURRICANE CREEK RAE (sire Howler, grand sire HawkGone)
BLACKBURNS BEE (Sire Blackburns Snuffy II)(Half Owner with Jon Kibler)
NEW HOUNDS IN THE KENNEL;
HURRICANE HARLEM'S HARLO (Sire Harlem)
HURRICANE KIBLER'S ANNIE (Sire 6 gun Albert)

Old Post 03-17-2015 08:51 PM
Larry B. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Larry B. Click here to Send Larry B. a Private Message Find more posts by Larry B. Add Larry B. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SEKY Coonhunter
UKC Forum Member

I don't really think much is broken about the hunts. It's a hound and handler combo. The BEST handler in the world can't win if his dog doesn't put coon in trees.

The best combo is to show up at a hunt with a dog that trees the most coon in the shortest amount of time and have a handler that can quickly call it when treed. At the end of the night, the dog that treed the most coon usually wins!!! It ain't rocket science. People can whine n cry about babblers and me to this and that till the cows come home. Just get a coondog and let the rest take care of itself!

If anything was done to help UKC I would suggest a tree count down. But, it ain't the end of the world either bc there are other registries that have one already.

Nathan Nantz
nantz54@msn.com

Old Post 03-17-2015 09:42 PM
SEKY Coonhunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for SEKY Coonhunter Click here to Send SEKY Coonhunter a Private Message Click Here to Email SEKY Coonhunter Find more posts by SEKY Coonhunter Add SEKY Coonhunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Brian Carter
UKC Forum Member

This is a debate that wont be won.

People say hunts don't matter and they don't care they are rigged people cheat whatever BUT they buy pups from GrNts and you don't see pr dogs on the trl either.

They say hunts are not important BUT every weekend people post the winners and congrats for winning.

How about this one?
How or what do we need to do to compete with the walker dogs???

If hunts don't matter and UKC, PKC or any other sanctioned event are not a measuring stick then why so much fuss and confusion on this board. I mean none of what people get on here and fuss and fight with each other about matters if Hunts aren't the measuring stick.

Without a measuring stick of some sort It only matters to the man holding the end of the lead what he is leading and we should start seeing all PR pedigrees in folks signatures.

JMO

PKC Ch Southern Ruckus ( GrNt Midnight Crow X GrNt Tic Tac )
Solos Super Flo ( GrNt Solo x GrNt Midnight Monkey )
Carolinas Super Crow ( GrNt Midnight Crow x GrNt Tic Tac )
GrNt PKC Ch Super Flo HTX ( GrNt Kansas Jr x NtCh Hawkeye Rose )
GrNtGrCh Midnight Black Wind ( GrNt Fr8liner x GrNt Super Flo )

Old Post 03-18-2015 12:11 AM
Brian Carter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Brian Carter Click here to Send Brian Carter a Private Message Click Here to Email Brian Carter Find more posts by Brian Carter Add Brian Carter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Hunts

Darrell says---The HTX program , seriously how many ways can that be manipulated by the crooks of the dog world

Rebecca , know one has ever confused a Me Too Dog for a coon dog , They always get a bad rap their just slow coon dogs , that needed to be culled

joe we need to go hunting , I want to see these dogs you have , and a dog flying with his head up in the air running a track , more than likely its not a cold track. --------------------- Why, Darrell, i reckon, we'd have to go to heaven, to hunt, with Buster, as he's dead and gone, but he could tree coons, that way. Dogs, liked old Buster and people did too, he'd run a cold track with his head in the air, he might even tree, a coon that the great Slick, of yours, may not be able to smell. I can take you hunting with Boone, but he has to put his nose on the ground, but he's out of Buster, he doesn't have his nose, but he can get treed. I did break, Boone's nose one time, so he's lucky to be able to smell at all.

Last edited by JOE H BROOKS on 03-18-2015 at 05:55 AM

Old Post 03-18-2015 05:21 AM
JOE H BROOKS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JOE H BROOKS Click here to Send JOE H BROOKS a Private Message Find more posts by JOE H BROOKS Add JOE H BROOKS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CLM
UKC Forum Member

Put a dog in the woods 2/4 hours a night 6 nights a week It will show on track and hunt night regardless of me to dogs or other handlers

Old Post 03-20-2015 05:30 AM
CLM is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CLM Click here to Send CLM a Private Message Find more posts by CLM Add CLM to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JOE H BROOKS
UKC Forum Member

Yard Stick

Bruce Hobbs--says--I would go straight to Tex. He has about all the traits to make a coon dog in anybodys book. Remember I said Tex. ------------------------------------------ Why Bruce, how many litters, have you raised, and how many have placed in the UKC World Hunt ? How about raiseing, just, one litter, that has all the stuff, to win the UKC World hunt, not 5 or 10 litters, just one.

Old Post 03-22-2015 06:05 AM
Billy George
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by shane_atchison
A countdown on tree. 1st or 4th strike I could care less, 1st tree important. 2-4 tree give em 25 or nothing don't matter. The measuring stick been broke a while.

Help the hot nose, pop up,tree dog more?

. Find an honest strike dog that can run a track to catch and tree till it is led away, and then we won't have to change rules to better fit what is being entered in the hunts.

PR B and B's Smokin' Willie

"PR"B and B's Coon Doctor
( Gr.Nite Ch.Bee Creek Dr.Max xGr.Nite Ch. Moonshine Maggie)

Past Home of:

Nite Ch. "PR"B and B's Smokin' Misty (2007-2018)

Nite Ch B&B's Black Hoss (1992-2003)

Nite Ch.Gr.Ch. Shaker Hill Mr. Grubbs (2003-2011)

Old Post 07-26-2015 05:01 PM
Billy George is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Billy George Click here to Send Billy George a Private Message Click Here to Email Billy George Visit Billy George's homepage! Find more posts by Billy George Add Billy George to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shane_atchison
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Billy George
Help the hot nose, pop up,tree dog more?

. Find an honest strike dog that can run a track to catch and tree till it is led away, and then we won't have to change rules to better fit what is being entered in the hunts.

OR hurt the babbling, can't handle the track, packed up, cover dog?

An honest strike dog will get 3rd or 4th typically. Run a track to catch should get Ya some 1st trees, just hope the babbler that's gonna get all 1st strikes don't cover to quick cause there's not a countdown. We need to change the rules to better penalize what's being entered in the hunts. Their sure is some junk getting titled.

Last edited by shane_atchison on 07-26-2015 at 09:44 PM

Old Post 07-26-2015 09:39 PM
shane_atchison is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shane_atchison Click here to Send shane_atchison a Private Message Click Here to Email shane_atchison Find more posts by shane_atchison Add shane_atchison to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote