UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Ehrlicia
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Ehrlicia

For those of us who have had a dog diagnosed with Ehrlicia, what have your long term results been? Complete recovery, Dog never as good as before, Relapses, etc.?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-25-2019 11:12 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

In most cases dog never as good as once was, also dog will relapse.

Old Post 06-26-2019 12:19 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

In most cases dog never as good as once was, also dog will relapse.

Old Post 06-26-2019 12:19 AM
Lynn Tubbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lynn Tubbs Click here to Send Lynn Tubbs a Private Message Click Here to Email Lynn Tubbs Find more posts by Lynn Tubbs Add Lynn Tubbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darton
UKC Forum Member

I had the same results as Lynn ,got her over it then it come back on her.

Old Post 06-26-2019 04:50 AM
darton is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darton Click here to Send darton a Private Message Find more posts by darton Add darton to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

Hot weather affects mine

Old Post 06-26-2019 11:18 AM
muzzymomentless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muzzymomentless Click here to Send muzzymomentless a Private Message Click Here to Email muzzymomentless Find more posts by muzzymomentless Add muzzymomentless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
4play
UKC Forum Member

relapse

Comes back when weather changes and warms up.Its never gone.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-26-2019 02:03 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

So second question: How many are currently hunting a dog that has been diagnosed with Ehrlicia? I have been told that in our part of the country 80% of hounds will test positive but have no Idea if that is so. I am currently hunting a dog that tested positive but really shows no signs of it now.
Was over 1 year ago that he was treated. I will say there are nights when I think he should have finished that track and wonder if it has anything to do with the Ehrlicia but I really can't say that it never happened before he was diagnosed.

Old Post 06-26-2019 05:57 PM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BLAKE WHEELER
UKC Forum Member

If I have one that test positive again I will be doing 2months of doxy and the imzol shots with no hunting until meds are done.

Old Post 06-26-2019 09:32 PM
BLAKE WHEELER is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BLAKE WHEELER Click here to Send BLAKE WHEELER a Private Message Click Here to Email BLAKE WHEELER Find more posts by BLAKE WHEELER Add BLAKE WHEELER to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
muzzymomentless
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by BLAKE WHEELER
If I have one that test positive again I will be doing 2months of doxy and the imzol shots with no hunting until meds are done.

I'd agree with that. Mostly affects mines sense of smell in hot weather.

Old Post 06-26-2019 09:35 PM
muzzymomentless is offline Click Here to See the Profile for muzzymomentless Click here to Send muzzymomentless a Private Message Click Here to Email muzzymomentless Find more posts by muzzymomentless Add muzzymomentless to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lynn Tubbs
UKC Forum Member

Mne would relapse, finally died from it.

Old Post 06-26-2019 10:36 PM
joey
UKC Forum Member

They will relapse, its not hard, if they go to acting a little funny feel their lymph nodes in their neck. If they are swollen a little start the back on meds.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-26-2019 10:40 PM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Is there a difference between ehrlichia and ehrlicosis? If so, what's the difference?

Old Post 06-27-2019 02:09 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Same thing...

Old Post 06-27-2019 03:31 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Same thing...

Thanks. I thought it was. Nasty crap! Buddy of mine got a walker dog a couple years ago that came out of the south. Dog diagnosed with it several months after he bought it. Got a hold of the Imuzol shot and that along with Doxy got him squared up pretty good. He's nervous it'll come back on him though. That stuff messed the dog up pretty good for awhile.

If only Eve hadn't convinced Adam to eat the apple............

Old Post 06-27-2019 03:40 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tad Banks
UKC Forum Member

DL NH

DL NH
what is the first thing you are going to say to Adam when you get to Heaven?

Old Post 06-27-2019 02:29 PM
Tad Banks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tad Banks Click here to Send Tad Banks a Private Message Find more posts by Tad Banks Add Tad Banks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Re: DL NH

quote:
Originally posted by Tad Banks
DL NH
what is the first thing you are going to say to Adam when you get to Heaven?

You should have said NO! Man lives by the word of God! 😯

Old Post 06-27-2019 04:02 PM
Blaine Stout
UKC Forum Member

Have a nitech that I hunt that has it. I have treated him once 2 yrs ago and havent had him relapse yet. But I dont hunt him during the summer months.

Hounds that reside at Cedar Creek Ranch

WALKERS
Ch Grnitech Cedar Creek Paco

ENGLISH
Grch Blackfords C'mon Eileen
Nitech Wanna be a Lunatic

R.I.P
Nitech Cedar Creek Timbers Blu Junior

Old Post 06-27-2019 06:28 PM
Blaine Stout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Blaine Stout Click here to Send Blaine Stout a Private Message Click Here to Email Blaine Stout Find more posts by Blaine Stout Add Blaine Stout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

To those of you who have or have had hounds with ehrlichia, do you think the added stress of hunting in the heat is what makes the dog bother in summer and not so much during winter?

Last edited by DL NH on 06-27-2019 at 08:57 PM

Old Post 06-27-2019 07:13 PM
4play
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DL NH
To those of you who have or have had hounds with ehrlichia, do you think the added stress of hunting in the heat is what makes the dog bother in summer and not so much during winter?

Don't even have to hunt mine for him to relapse.
Just the switch from cold to hot {Mi.} triggers it.

Last year he didn't relapse,this year he did.
Can tell when it's coming on his joints get stiff.

Nitech Stylish Clover Shark Jill - RIP 'Ole Girl
{Great White Shark x Brush Creek Patch}

Old Post 06-27-2019 09:16 PM
4play is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 4play Click here to Send 4play a Private Message Click Here to Email 4play Find more posts by 4play Add 4play to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

OK, last question: Would you purchase a dog that has been diagnosed with Ehrlicia?

Old Post 06-27-2019 09:36 PM
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

The

Latest study shows that the shots make no difference. I have treated several with doxy and shots and couldn’t tell any difference in ones I treated with only doxy. One I gave shot to died. Don’t know if it was related or not but dog was fine until shots.

Old Post 06-27-2019 10:14 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ole hoss
UKC Forum Member

Take it for what it’s worth!!!
I own 2019 Pkc National champion insane x con. In 2017 he was diagnosed with eurlikia. I didn’t even know what the stuff was at the time so I was at the mercy of my vet, 30 days of doxycycline. 200 mg a day. SUMMER TIME, I gave him the doxycycline and continued to hunt him. I hunt as much or more than most do. At the end of the summer I took him back. Sluggish, eyes Madded up, start tracks he couldn’t finish, same thing. Eurlikia!! This time we did 30 dAys doxycycline at 300 mg!! At this point I’m starting to ask questions because I know the pup I’ve got is the best one I’ll ever own so there’s got to be a way of getting through it. Hunted that winter no problems what so ever, finished top 6 at the nationals that year. In the summer of 2018 I seen the same symptoms, so I took him back with a plan. IMOZOL!! I told the vet about the shot and he wanted a few days to research it. Vet agreed we was gonna attack it this time. Gave the imozol and 600 mg of doxycycline for 30 days, this time I laid him up. That year we got reserve NCH.
Is he cured? I don’t think so. I see the same things out of him when it gets hot. He just don’t feel real good. He’s been laid up a lot since the heat came on but I took him to the vet yesterday and vet says all his blood levels are good. If you have a dog you like why wouldn’t you do everything you can to treat them? I’ve hunted several dogs over the short time I’ve been at it and I wouldn’t trade Xs tail for all of em together. So whatever I got to do to make him feel better I’m gonna do. I’d suggest if you got one YOU like then I’d do the same thing. I don’t think it ever really goes away but that’s just my opinion. But I don’t give up and neither does my dog

Old Post 06-27-2019 11:33 PM
ole hoss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ole hoss Click here to Send ole hoss a Private Message Click Here to Email ole hoss Find more posts by ole hoss Add ole hoss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blue blue
UKC Forum Member

Jason

From reading your post it sounds to me like you treated as many have including myself. The difference I see in you case is you are lucky enough to have a hound that is good enough and has the heart and desire to still dominate when he’s not 100%. Hope x stays healthy for you.

Old Post 06-28-2019 01:33 PM
blue blue is offline Click Here to See the Profile for blue blue Click here to Send blue blue a Private Message Click Here to Email blue blue Find more posts by blue blue Add blue blue to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. One thing seems obvious, not every dog is affected the same. Maybe has to do with how quickly it is diagnosed and treated. I'm in NW Arkansas and I think it is something we will deal with in a lot of our dogs. Mine was on Simparica every month and sprayed with permethrin every hunt and still got it. His symptoms were he left two trees after getting treed right and I knew something was wrong but he wasn't showing really any other symptoms.

Old Post 06-28-2019 02:15 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

My experience and research...
Every case is different.
A whole lot depends on early detection and treatment.
With Lymes you get joint stiffness, with Erlichia you don't
Erlichia can or cannot become Chronic Erlichia
You should always treat for 30 days with 400 mg Doxy
2 shots of Imisol, 14 days apart helps in rare cases.
Imisol doesn't really hurt so you might as well give it

Erlichia symptoms are: leaving trees, trailing all night, not hunting. You rarely see physical symptoms.

If Chronic Erlichia develops it will come and go. It is very, very hard to completely get rid of it. It hides in the dogs system and flares up when the dog's system is stressed or weakened.

Old Post 06-28-2019 02:31 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote