UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Where do you think coon hunting will be 15 years from now.
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by msinc
I have to agree with this...there are a lot of guys around here that don't even have a shock collar, much less tracking. I don't know if they have more fun...all their dogs run deer. Most of their truck boxes are home made out of plywood. They don't ever get their dogs shots or go to a vet...the dog either makes it or he don't.
I really don't know if there is a good indicator of just how many coonhunters or houndsmen there are, but I do agree it aint the attendance at hunts.

I don't know about them but when I hunted out of a oldsmobile cutlass, had a 2 cell flashlight, hunted year round in tennis shoes and didn't have a clue what my dogs where doing. I had a lot more fun.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-15-2015 05:10 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
msinc
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by joey
I don't know about them but when I hunted out of a oldsmobile cutlass, had a 2 cell flashlight, hunted year round in tennis shoes and didn't have a clue what my dogs where doing. I had a lot more fun.

Brings to mind the old saying..."sometimes it don't pay to know nothing."
Maybe they did have fun, I was just going off my own experience...I've had a few severe trash running dogs, there was absolutely nothing fun about them at all, run anything that didn't smell like dirt!!! Like the man said once, "cant hunt him near train tracks...freight train might go by and he'll run that!!!!
Seriously though, with todays gear I don't know if there was ever a better time to coon hunt. Sad thing is that these kids nowadays will never know what it used to be like.

Old Post 07-15-2015 05:25 AM
msinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for msinc Click here to Send msinc a Private Message Click Here to Email msinc Find more posts by msinc Add msinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lapdawg
UKC Forum Member

if we do not make drastic changes and start standing up for whats right in this country the way our older generation did we wont be able to leave our house without walking much less hunting!
these leftwing, animal rights , tree hugging,dumb@sses get out in droves and raise the money , protest and demostraight while we just set back and let them !!!!!!!!!!
WE NEED TO WAKE FROM OUR HYBRENATION AND FIGHT BACK TOOTH AND NAIL BUT WE DONT WONT TO OFFEND THEM THEY (OR SOME OF YOU) MIGHT GET THEIR FEEKINGS HURT AND CRY !!!!!! SO MY ANSWER IS HELL NO ,WE WONT BE HUNTING NOTHING IN FIVE IF WE KEEP LETTING THOSE P.O.S'S KEEP WINNING THE WAR!!!!!!

Old Post 07-16-2015 01:33 AM
lapdawg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lapdawg Click here to Send lapdawg a Private Message Find more posts by lapdawg Add lapdawg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rdmedders
UKC Forum Member

You will have less land too hunt.

Old Post 07-16-2015 02:33 AM
rdmedders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for rdmedders Click here to Send rdmedders a Private Message Click Here to Email rdmedders Find more posts by rdmedders Add rdmedders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lillycreek
New UKC Forum Member

I've only been hunting for twenty or so years and don't have nearly the experience that some of you have but other than the technology of trackers shockers lights and so on.... can anyone name something positive that has come to this great sport? I just pray I'm gone before it is...keep em looking up!

Old Post 07-16-2015 05:15 PM
Lillycreek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lillycreek Click here to Send Lillycreek a Private Message Click Here to Email Lillycreek Find more posts by Lillycreek Add Lillycreek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Fielder
I'm usually a "the glass is half full" kind of guy but I may come across as being negative here. Age brings humility and to a degree, wisdom. I'm 68 years old. I have enjoyed being smack dab in the middle of the glory years of this sport when the two main coon hunting magazines had more than 60 thousand subscribers combined, RQEs and state hunts averaged upwards of 100 dogs and local hunts closer to 30. A record of 100 dogs was required to apply for a Purina event. There's no doubt interest in the sport is in decline but why? Attrition is one thing. This is a young man's sport. When you reach my age you will understand more about that. But the thing I fear more than the greying of our ranks is the overall apathy of youngsters toward the sport. Coon hunting is demanding and I fear this generation and those following will not have that fire in their bellies to press on considering the challenges they will face. I know there are those who will say "no way" but will there be enough of you to provide a living for all the peripheral elements that support the sport? I hope so.

I think in 15 years in my area the competition hunts will be gone some in part by no tracts of land big enough to hold 2 hour hunts and the people who are fortunate enough to lease land to hunt arent going to take some of these outlaws to their spots . The Corp lands in my area in East Texas now ban hunting with dogs even with no intent to harvest in the Summer and no taking of fur bearers period at any time . This policy was set by the Corp of Engineers due to pressure from private land owners joining Corp lands due to a large element of coon hunters trespassing, driving on their property, shooting next to their houses at night and these same people once you take them on a cast are back there wearing out this spot and bringing other people and then they do the same . I love to run my dogs as well as deer hunt so I save my money and lease as much land as I can afford . If the competition part of our sport survives we will have to have fewer clubs and go the way of the deer lease and purchase hunting grounds and have the stones to bar individuals from our clubs once they cross the lines . There are a lot of quality Young hunters in my area but once someone betrays or breaks that code and comes back to your spot and angers the land owners they stop all hunting . Im sure this is a common problem everywhere .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 07-28-2015 09:52 AM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike Knuckols
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Fielder
I'm usually a "the glass is half full" kind of guy but I may come across as being negative here. Age brings humility and to a degree, wisdom. I'm 68 years old. I have enjoyed being smack dab in the middle of the glory years of this sport when the two main coon hunting magazines had more than 60 thousand subscribers combined, RQEs and state hunts averaged upwards of 100 dogs and local hunts closer to 30. A record of 100 dogs was required to apply for a Purina event. There's no doubt interest in the sport is in decline but why? Attrition is one thing. This is a young man's sport. When you reach my age you will understand more about that. But the thing I fear more than the greying of our ranks is the overall apathy of youngsters toward the sport. Coon hunting is demanding and I fear this generation and those following will not have that fire in their bellies to press on considering the challenges they will face. I know there are those who will say "no way" but will there be enough of you to provide a living for all the peripheral elements that support the sport? I hope so.

I think in 15 years in my area the competition hunts will be gone some in part by no tracts of land big enough to hold 2 hour hunts and the people who are fortunate enough to lease land to hunt arent going to take some of these outlaws to their spots . The Corp lands in my area in East Texas now ban hunting with dogs even with no intent to harvest in the Summer and no taking of fur bearers period at any time . This policy was set by the Corp of Engineers due to pressure from private land owners joining Corp lands due to a large element of coon hunters trespassing, driving on their property, shooting next to their houses at night and these same people once you take them on a cast are back there wearing out this spot and bringing other people and then they do the same . I love to run my dogs as well as deer hunt so I save my money and lease as much land as I can afford . If the competition part of our sport survives we will have to have fewer clubs and go the way of the deer lease and purchase hunting grounds and have the stones to bar individuals from our clubs once they cross the lines . There are a lot of quality Young hunters in my area but once someone betrays or breaks that code and comes back to your spot and angers the land owners they stop all hunting . Im sure this is a common problem everywhere .

Home of :
CH NITECH Whitemans Poison
GRCH NITECH Cold Traxx Extra Man
CH GRNITECH Kings Hardwood Ranger
UKC CH PKC CH CHKC CH Cold Traxx Man Child
GRNTCH PKC CH Hunt it off Bella
Cold Traxx Southern Honey
Cold Traxx Mattie
Cold Traxx Super Freak

Gone but never forgotten :
NITECH McFarlands Joe
Knuckols Hooker
NITECH Cypress River Chance
NITECH Cypress River Honey
NITECH Cypress River Princess
NITECH Newcombs Miss Molly
NITECH Wilsons Hardwood Ann
GRCH GRNTCH Paulding Forrest Bubba

Old Post 07-28-2015 09:52 AM
Mike Knuckols is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Knuckols Click here to Send Mike Knuckols a Private Message Click Here to Email Mike Knuckols Find more posts by Mike Knuckols Add Mike Knuckols to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregory Kemp
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by rthompson
Well all i know is try your best to keep on good terms with land owners. there are alot of good people out there who remember hunting with ol dad and like to see people doing thing the way they used to. as far as laws go all we can do is vote. if we would do more like cancer benifit hunts and fundraisers instead of fighting with each other it wouldnt hurt either there is always more we can do i mean look at swamp people they put what they do on tv and everybody loves them for it.

very very true! Nicely put!

*Nt. Ch. Black Magic Roscoe's Hot Persuit (aka Jr.) one win toward Gr. Nt. Ch. ($120 dollars won in PKC).
(Nt. Ch. Winner of Princeton, W.Va. Blk. and Tan Sectional 2012). HTX winner. 5th place winner 2014 Black and Tan Days Thursday night. SIRE OF THE 2015 U.K.C. WORLD COONHOUND RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION!

*Kemps Little Reed Blk. Chester (1st and 2nd place wins in UKC) (two wins in A.C.H.A.) (pup off of Jr.) FULL LITTERMATE TO THE 2015 UKC RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION !!
Mr. ACCURATE!

*Nt. Ch. Kemps Little Reed Blk. Prowler (1st place UKC World Qualifier '09, 6th Place Hi Scoring Blk. and Tan at Southeastern Treeing Walker Days, '07).

The Kemps (Greg, Vickie, Erica, and Noah)
6 Little Vine Rd.
Hillsville, Va. 24343
276-733-8590

Old Post 08-17-2015 03:48 PM
Gregory Kemp is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gregory Kemp Click here to Send Gregory Kemp a Private Message Click Here to Email Gregory Kemp Find more posts by Gregory Kemp Add Gregory Kemp to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LoggyBayouBlues
UKC Forum Member

Coonhunting

BTT

Old Post 07-17-2019 11:42 PM
LoggyBayouBlues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for LoggyBayouBlues Click here to Send LoggyBayouBlues a Private Message Click Here to Email LoggyBayouBlues Find more posts by LoggyBayouBlues Add LoggyBayouBlues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tommygunner
Banned

You will all be in Jail

Old Post 07-18-2019 01:01 PM
tommygunner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tommygunner Click here to Send tommygunner a Private Message Click Here to Email tommygunner Find more posts by tommygunner Add tommygunner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ROBERT HAYES
UKC Forum Member

15 years

I would not be worried about 15 years from now AOC says we just have 12 years left.

Old Post 07-18-2019 01:39 PM
ROBERT HAYES is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ROBERT HAYES Click here to Send ROBERT HAYES a Private Message Find more posts by ROBERT HAYES Add ROBERT HAYES to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: 15 years

quote:
Originally posted by ROBERT HAYES
I would not be worried about 15 years from now AOC says we just have 12 years left.

This thread was started 4 years ago so according to her calculations enjoy it while you can!

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 07-18-2019 04:49 PM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob Hennessey
UKC Forum Member

Seeing I will be 80 this fall in 15 years I'll most likely cut down on my hunting. LOL!

You can't fix STUPID!

Old Post 07-19-2019 11:25 PM
Bob Hennessey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bob Hennessey Click here to Send Bob Hennessey a Private Message Find more posts by Bob Hennessey Add Bob Hennessey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
robgregory
UKC Forum Member

15 years from now......

almost non-existant. JMO. Rob Gregory

home#- 540-925-4437
cell#-757-339-3454
Home of:
"PR"High Lonesome Hannah. Nt.Ch. Hardtime Miss Kitty's Cat

Old Post 07-20-2019 04:58 AM
robgregory is offline Click Here to See the Profile for robgregory Click here to Send robgregory a Private Message Find more posts by robgregory Add robgregory to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

I'm 76. I'm a lot more concerned about where I'll be in one year.

Old Post 07-21-2019 01:40 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Charles Pullen
UKC Forum Member

Money , Time , & Places

Money .... it takes a lot to live on now days just to pay the bills . Time .... people are so busy now days they just don’t like to . Use to be you would hunt 5 nights a week . Places ... people are moving in , timber cut & people are loosing places every year . Therefore I think it will continue on but it will decrease for sure . That’s a fact !!!!!

Old Post 07-21-2019 05:05 AM
Charles Pullen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Charles Pullen Click here to Send Charles Pullen a Private Message Click Here to Email Charles Pullen Find more posts by Charles Pullen Add Charles Pullen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Pullen
Money , Time , & Places

Money .... it takes a lot to live on now days just to pay the bills . Time .... people are so busy now days they just don’t like to . Use to be you would hunt 5 nights a week . Places ... people are moving in , timber cut & people are loosing places every year . Therefore I think it will continue on but it will decrease for sure . That’s a fact !!!!!

I agree...

Back in the 1960’s I grew up in an area where my closest neighbors were 2 miles away to my west about a mile to my east and further from south a north with only a few fields...my dogs weren’t kenneled just running loose... I stepped out the house and called the dogs and we were hunting starting at about 100 yards from the house...I drove out there years later and every bit of that area is cleared and is now farm land with some housing here and there...once upon a time that place was full of game...

Right now Houston Texas is growing by leaps and bounds in my direction land is being cleared for freeways and Walmart’s...big schools are being built and new houses are going up in gated communities...little country roads I used to ride on just to get away and see the country side near by are now under lock and key and some are guarded and only a few can enter...all in the name of progress...

Old Post 07-21-2019 11:17 AM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
I agree...

Back in the 1960’s I grew up in an area where my closest neighbors were 2 miles away to my west about a mile to my east and further from south a north with only a few fields...my dogs weren’t kenneled just running loose... I stepped out the house and called the dogs and we were hunting starting at about 100 yards from the house...I drove out there years later and every bit of that area is cleared and is now farm land with some housing here and there...once upon a time that place was full of game...

Right now Houston Texas is growing by leaps and bounds in my direction land is being cleared for freeways and Walmart’s...big schools are being built and new houses are going up in gated communities...little country roads I used to ride on just to get away and see the country side near by are now under lock and key and some are guarded and only a few can enter...all in the name of progress...

Reuben all those rice fields along chocolate bayou that I grew up in around Alvin tx are full of houses now. We are going down in october to Kema to get shrimp and take a vacation maybe we can visit.

Tar

Old Post 07-21-2019 02:24 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

Will be a pleasure...

Old Post 07-21-2019 08:16 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Reuben
Will be a pleasure...

Back then I was kin to everybody in Alvin I could hunt all around it but before I left in the late 70’s you already had big hunting leases like the Damon hunting club popping up everywhere and sub divisions being built where we hunted. Most of the private land is deer leases up here they are starting to high fence a bunch of it. If I didn’t have public hunting I would be in trouble.

Tar

Old Post 07-21-2019 08:48 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote