UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Need help understanding DNa
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Need help understanding DNa

What do all the letters mean on the DNA analysis? If some letters are the same whats it mean and if there are blanks whats it mean? Thanks in advance

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-16-2019 05:30 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Anyone

Old Post 11-16-2019 10:13 PM
Dave1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dave1 Click here to Send Dave1 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave1 Add Dave1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Edinger
UKC Forum Member

Nothing, has nothing to do with traits

Old Post 11-16-2019 10:22 PM
Richard Edinger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Edinger Click here to Send Richard Edinger a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Edinger Find more posts by Richard Edinger Add Richard Edinger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

I still don’t think in dogs the dna system can tell the difference in littermate brothers. To many stud dog owners had a back up plan if you know what I mean Vern.

Tar

Old Post 11-16-2019 11:29 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

I thought long time ago I saw on here where it was talked about. Where two of the same letters meant dominate traits. I did read that upper case letters were dominate and lower case were well I forget. To much for my brain. Tar yea I know what ya mean.

Old Post 11-16-2019 11:35 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by yadkintar
I still don’t think in dogs the dna system can tell the difference in littermate brothers. To many stud dog owners had a back up plan if you know what I mean Vern.

Tar

If you had two litter mates, you did a dna on both, one named Dick the other named Rob, now you breed Rob for a few years with good results but he gets killed, so you decide to bred his liter mate brother Dick under Robs name and UKC/PKC numbers, do you really think Dicks dna will match Robs dna?

Old Post 11-17-2019 12:32 AM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by nitehunter2004
If you had two litter mates, you did a dna on both, one named Dick the other named Rob, now you breed Rob for a few years with good results but he gets killed, so you decide to bred his liter mate brother Dick under Robs name and UKC/PKC numbers, do you really think Dicks dna will match Robs dna?

I know of two different studs that it worked on but it might be more goof proof now.

And they are both in my dogs pedigrees multiple times so mine may or may not be right either.

Tar

Last edited by yadkintar on 11-17-2019 at 03:10 AM

Old Post 11-17-2019 02:55 AM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thomasg
UKC Forum Member

Re: Need help understanding DNa

quote:
Originally posted by Dave1
What do all the letters mean on the DNA analysis? If some letters are the same whats it mean and if there are bl anks whats it mean? Thanks in advance

Old Post 11-17-2019 03:20 AM
thomasg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for thomasg Click here to Send thomasg a Private Message Click Here to Email thomasg Find more posts by thomasg Add thomasg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

They mean nothing aside from determining parentage. We don't know what the gene Z means. Does it mean hair color or leg length? Does it mean hair length? Who knows.

The letters just prove parentage these are just MARKERS they are not actual GENES. They are markers for parentage only.

Old Post 11-17-2019 03:28 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

quote:

Unless they were identical twins created by one embryo that split or a clone no they would absolutely not have the same DNA it is a genetic impossibility. Dogs have 78 chromosomes represented by 39 pairs one of which determines sex. Each carries hundreds of genes and each pair contains one chromosome inherited from the sire and one from the dam. Siblings have similar enough DNA to determine they have the same parents and even some matching pairs but they will not have identical DNA sequences.
"Back in the day" breeders never imagined DNA sequencing would even be possible who knows Sounder #1 may possibly be Ol Shep next door and we all have a little Ol Shep listed as Sounder #1 waaay back on those papers. Comparative DNA is only going to come by when both the sire and the dam are listed in the company that does the processing database. What you are given is your dogs individual DNA sequences regardless of who the sire and dam may or may not be. $kc does make both the sire and dam both have a completed DNA analysis to ensure that pups are from the pair (even if they don't match the papers are not changed they are just ineligible for certain programs) but here only sires are required to have it done and pups don't commonly submit their profile for analysis.
As for the sequence represented by the series of letter on our certificates I do know that after saving various ones from now 3 generations of these dogs there are certain ones consistently passed on from the sires side. What they mean I couldn't tell you lol. I still like comparing them all. I send a pic of most to a friend who has been collecting them and he has observed the same thing in many of his.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-17-2019 03:38 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Speaking of all this I do think it would be interesting to start a thread where pics of DNA analysis are posted along with the pedigree of each dog maybe even a pic of the dog. We may not know how or what their sequence listed is but could be interesting and fun comparing them.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 11-17-2019 03:51 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia
Speaking of all this I do think it would be interesting to start a thread where pics of DNA analysis are posted along with the pedigree of each dog maybe even a pic of the dog. We may not know how or what their sequence listed is but could be interesting and fun comparing them.

Been a long , long time since I had a stud dog where I either performanced it or SS where I had to DNA anything but they always told me that the more double letters like EE a dog had the better reproducer they were.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 11:30 AM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
I know of two different studs that it worked on but it might be more goof proof now.

And they are both in my dogs pedigrees multiple times so mine may or may not be right either.

Tar

If your conspiracy was/is true a smart Breeder would only need to dna one male and one female from the whole litter then register any offsprings produced to the male or female with the dna on record.
I have did the dna on a few liters and have never seen a dna match.

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:46 PM
nitehunter2004 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nitehunter2004 Click here to Send nitehunter2004 a Private Message Find more posts by nitehunter2004 Add nitehunter2004 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
If your conspiracy was/is true a smart Breeder would only need to dna one male and one female from the whole litter then register any offsprings produced to the male or female with the dna on record.
I have did the dna on a few liters and have never seen a dna match.

Turn your hearing aids up and clean your glasses off I said back then ! But I might not even be talking about the dogs your thinking I am talking about. I seen things with my own eyes not hearsay. My circle is really small now at my choice.

Breed on big daddy !

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 01:59 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Turn your hearing aids up and clean your glasses off I said back then ! But I might not even be talking about the dogs your thinking I am talking about. I seen things with my own eyes not hearsay. My circle is really small now at my choice.

Breed on big daddy !

Tar

I have no idea what your spinning, I’m talking about dna not falsifying paper’s, maybe you could start a thread.

And I’m thinking everything wasn’t by your choice but maybe your actions!

Old Post 11-17-2019 02:12 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
I have no idea what your spinning, I’m talking about dna not falsifying paper’s, maybe you could start a thread.

And I’m thinking everything wasn’t by your choice but maybe your actions!

Nope I am talking about DNA !! And there was a way around it called $$$ the more that dog made of $$$ the more they looked over certain things the right money maker comes along again it might happen again. Buuuuuuuuut I got two dogs both ain’t worth a nickel and when they are gone I am going to get a poodle.

Now I have seen some of the top stud dogs DNA profiles and they had a bunch of double letters like EE and AA.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 02:24 PM
nitehunter2004
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Nope I am talking about DNA !! And there was a way around it called $$$ the more that dog made of $$$ the more they looked over certain things the right money maker comes along again it might happen again. Buuuuuuuuut I got two dogs both ain’t worth a nickel and when they are gone I am going to get a poodle.

Now I have seen some of the top stud dogs DNA profiles and they had a bunch of double letters like EE and AA.

Tar

So your saying UKC an PKC knowingly lied to their customers and falsified dog papers for a profit? For Money they was making anyway.

Old Post 11-17-2019 02:38 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Whatever happened to Team Player Tar?

Old Post 11-17-2019 03:45 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

quote:

Tar

I heard the same thing about double letters.

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:01 PM
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Mafia

I agree would be really interesting

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:03 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
Whatever happened to Team Player Tar?

I was on a different team back then. Circle had different players in it. And $$$$ talked and bs walked. But none of that means nothing now.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:13 PM
Dave1
UKC Forum Member

Tar
Did u ever hear if there were blanks on the DNA if that was anything

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:25 PM
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Dave1
Tar
Did u ever hear if there were blanks on the DNA if that was anything

I am digging in all my drawers as I speak lol. I am trying to find my deacon dogs profile he had a bunch of double letters he had 81 pups 11 ntch 4 grntch not no record but pretty good and a lot of just good coon treers. I ain’t got a clue what the blanks would mean unless they have a scale for that particular gene and if fell beneath the limit. I will keep looking and see if I can find it.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 05:36 PM
Sawyer Hortin
UKC Forum Member

Id say there is no matching letters in tars dna. Lol unless doubled up for babbling gene.

Old Post 11-17-2019 06:02 PM
Sawyer Hortin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sawyer Hortin Click here to Send Sawyer Hortin a Private Message Find more posts by Sawyer Hortin Add Sawyer Hortin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Sawyer Hortin
Id say there is no matching letters in tars dna. Lol unless doubled up for babbling gene.

Dutch, German,Indian and Cajun hows that for a mix lol.

Tar

Old Post 11-17-2019 06:17 PM