UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > ? on treating a pup with rickets
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Hawk32
UKC Forum Member

? on treating a pup with rickets

I have been treating a pup with rickets for a little over a week. Giving her pills of a vitamin D supplement along with fish cod oil.

How long should I expect this take?

Is it possible she won't recover?

Any other suggestions on what to give her?

Home of:

Grand Nite CH CH Thorson's Tree'n Blue Dutch RIP
Grand Nite CH CH Thorson's Sweet Blue Brandy RIP
Grand Nite Ch Dutch and janes blue Girl

http://dutch32ia.tripod.com/

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 01-06-2013 03:52 PM
Hawk32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawk32 Click here to Send Hawk32 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hawk32 Visit Hawk32's homepage! Find more posts by Hawk32 Add Hawk32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midmohunter
UKC Forum Member

Do what your doing and feed a lower protein food. 23/12 adult type food not the 32/16 puppy type foods. I fed twice a day half the recommended amount. Say 1-1/2 cups recommended than I fed 3/4 cup in the morning and evening. Gave the vitamin supplement in the morning and Cod Liver Oil in the evening. Don't let the pup run around on concrete or hard slippery type surfaces for a while. I did this and mine looked fine in about 3 days.

Make sure the vitamin you are giving is not just a vitamin-d pill, but more of a multi vitamin that includes calcium and magnesium and all the other stuff. The pup will get enough vitamin-d from a tea spoon of the cod liver oil. I only had to feed one small 6lb bag of the adult food and then I was able to step back up to the puppy food.

Good luck
Bob Helton

Old Post 01-06-2013 04:19 PM
midmohunter is offline Click Here to See the Profile for midmohunter Click here to Send midmohunter a Private Message Find more posts by midmohunter Add midmohunter to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slobbermouth21
Banned

magnesium tablets

Old Post 01-06-2013 04:47 PM
slobbermouth21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slobbermouth21 Click here to Send slobbermouth21 a Private Message Click Here to Email slobbermouth21 Find more posts by slobbermouth21 Add slobbermouth21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steveburch
UKC Forum Member

What caused the rickets to start with? A pup will not get rickets for no reason.

Old Post 01-06-2013 07:28 PM
steveburch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for steveburch Click here to Send steveburch a Private Message Find more posts by steveburch Add steveburch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawk32
UKC Forum Member

Steve
I have no idea. On a good quality food. Plenty of exercise well taken care of. fat healthy good acting pup. Its only one leg. other leg is just fine. maybe its not rickets and its an injury of some sort. didn't appear to be an injury so I assumed it was rickets.

Home of:

Old Post 01-06-2013 08:10 PM
Hawk32 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hawk32 Click here to Send Hawk32 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hawk32 Visit Hawk32's homepage! Find more posts by Hawk32 Add Hawk32 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
timgreuel
UKC Forum Member

rickets

Was told lack of sunshine and growing too fast has lead puppies towards Rickets. Makes sense seeing the days are short and ya only see people asking about Rickets in winter time when its cold and PUPS are held in small dark pens thinking this is the best way to keep them from freezing to death

Old Post 01-06-2013 08:15 PM
timgreuel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for timgreuel Click here to Send timgreuel a Private Message Find more posts by timgreuel Add timgreuel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
COALMINER28
UKC Forum Member

Get this pup on grass in sunlight as much as possible !!!

Old Post 01-06-2013 08:29 PM
COALMINER28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COALMINER28 Click here to Send COALMINER28 a Private Message Click Here to Email COALMINER28 Find more posts by COALMINER28 Add COALMINER28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawk32
UKC Forum Member

moved her to a different pen yesterday. off concrete to an elevated pen that will get more direct sun light as well.

Home of:

Old Post 01-06-2013 08:35 PM
COALMINER28
UKC Forum Member

She needs direct sunlight & cod liver oil table spoon in feed

Old Post 01-06-2013 08:42 PM
COALMINER28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for COALMINER28 Click here to Send COALMINER28 a Private Message Click Here to Email COALMINER28 Find more posts by COALMINER28 Add COALMINER28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
slobbermouth21
Banned

Rickets is caused by low nutrition usely in pups the lack of magnesium and a few other vitamins/minerals but cant remember what the other were so I also don't think It's rickets but maybe hip displacia or hurt leg.

Old Post 01-06-2013 09:18 PM
slobbermouth21 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for slobbermouth21 Click here to Send slobbermouth21 a Private Message Click Here to Email slobbermouth21 Find more posts by slobbermouth21 Add slobbermouth21 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bobby Stevens
UKC Forum Member

cod liver oil

Home#423-234-5113
Cell#423-329-5135

Old Post 01-06-2013 11:04 PM
Bobby Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bobby Stevens Click here to Send Bobby Stevens a Private Message Click Here to Email Bobby Stevens Find more posts by Bobby Stevens Add Bobby Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jason Foster
UKC Forum Member

i had a redbone pup with it, grandpa said feed the dog a can of salmon w/ a raw egg in it, was worth a shot, don't know if that's what it was or not but it stopped it. hope it helps.

Old Post 01-07-2013 12:06 AM
Jason Foster is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jason Foster Click here to Send Jason Foster a Private Message Click Here to Email Jason Foster Find more posts by Jason Foster Add Jason Foster to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Big R.D.
UKC Forum Member

pup

Cory just feed her adult dog food and she will be fine

Old Post 01-07-2013 12:35 AM
Big R.D. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Big R.D. Click here to Send Big R.D. a Private Message Click Here to Email Big R.D. Find more posts by Big R.D. Add Big R.D. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wingpatch
UKC Forum Member

WALMART

GO TO WALMART GET U A BOTTLE OF CHEAP EQUATE BRAND ULTRA STRENGTH ANTACID PILLS THEY ARE VERY HIGH IN CALCIUM PUT ABOUT 4 GROUND PILLS IN HIS FOOD EVERY TIME YOU FEED HIM...........

CROOKED RIVER DUDE... 5/14/04--2/20/12.....[ PLOTT ]

GASCONADE RIVER GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLIE [ TOAD & MOLLY ANN ] ENGLISH

HONEST OPEN MOUTH, STAY PUT TREEDOGS.. THAT CATCH GAME.....

573-765-5461

****I USE AND RECOMMEND LEMS LIGHTS***

Old Post 01-07-2013 12:57 AM
Wingpatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wingpatch Click here to Send Wingpatch a Private Message Click Here to Email Wingpatch Find more posts by Wingpatch Add Wingpatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jbo30
UKC Forum Member

I recently had a pup with rickets fed him cottage cheese for a week and gave him pills and nothing would work he was about a 65 pound dog at 7 months old he was huge! He grew way to fast. they never went away and if he was hunted hard he would swell up and i would have to walk in the woods and carry him out. Goodluck with her.

Cottonmouth's Hot Toddy

Old Post 01-07-2013 02:05 AM
Jbo30 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jbo30 Click here to Send Jbo30 a Private Message Find more posts by Jbo30 Add Jbo30 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hawk32
UKC Forum Member

Had her on the treatments for over 2 wks with no improvement. gonna have to take her in to see if it something else but i am 99% sure it is rickets.

Home of:

Old Post 01-12-2013 12:05 AM
lauraroeder
UKC Forum Member

lock her up!

don't let her run. the joints are sore and that is why she is knuckling. feed anything but puppy chow of any kind. what happens? pup is growing and needs to slow down a lil. and sunshine is great! you give a calcium supplement and keep penned up! you will see a difference in a couple of weeks. sometimes, you get a pup elsewhere and with all good intentions, you may feed too high a protein and "push the growth" more than you should. i've seen this a few times over the years. they can, and do, come out of it if you don't let them run on the sore joints! patience!

AMAZEN COONHOUNDS

Old Post 01-12-2013 12:13 AM
lauraroeder is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lauraroeder Click here to Send lauraroeder a Private Message Find more posts by lauraroeder Add lauraroeder to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windyhillscandy
UKC Forum Member

Sunlight Sunlight Sunlight
Also great source of calcium ."""TUMS""
Calcium deficiency
Growing too fast for bones ..

Old Post 02-10-2014 04:52 AM
windyhillscandy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for windyhillscandy Click here to Send windyhillscandy a Private Message Click Here to Email windyhillscandy Find more posts by windyhillscandy Add windyhillscandy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
windyhillscandy
UKC Forum Member

Corey
I had a lil walker female come up here from Down south.
Cold cold outside so I kept her in beside wood stove. ..within a few days of receiving hrr from dog hauler I noticed he'd walking on fop of her toes. It looked hoorible and the vow leggs were horrid.
I talk to my vet andwas told ricketts.
I gave cod liver pills and tums and lots of sunlight. With in the site of 8 days she was better. .

Old Post 02-10-2014 04:57 AM
windyhillscandy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for windyhillscandy Click here to Send windyhillscandy a Private Message Click Here to Email windyhillscandy Find more posts by windyhillscandy Add windyhillscandy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buck brush
UKC Forum Member

calcuim

the last two pups that i raised i put them om CALCUIM PILLS that i bought from Wal-Mart in the VIT> section 1000 mg 2 times a day right in there feed and they both had nice legs and feet , i have always given pups that or bone meal in there food it works.

gone but will never be forgotten

PR Van Dusen's Hanna o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Maggie o/h
NTCH PR Buck Brush Little Mickey o/h
PR Buck Brush Copper o/h
D NTCH PR Crooked Oak Boss o/h
D NtCH PR Alford's Alibi h
NTCH PR Alford's Hatchet h
NT CH PR Mill's Dotty h

Old Post 02-10-2014 10:19 AM
buck brush is offline Click Here to See the Profile for buck brush Click here to Send buck brush a Private Message Click Here to Email buck brush Find more posts by buck brush Add buck brush to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
l.lyle
Banned

Lots of good advice here for rickets. Rickets causes bowing , knuckling etc due to the mentioned deficiencies in fast growing skeletons. It I is not like a virus or bacteria that might affect one limb. Probably something else.

Old Post 02-10-2014 11:56 AM
l.lyle is offline Click Here to See the Profile for l.lyle Click here to Send l.lyle a Private Message Click Here to Email l.lyle Find more posts by l.lyle Add l.lyle to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Breezy
UKC Forum Member

I sold a beagle pup to a friend of mine a few years back. He kept her in the basement and about a month later her legs were so bowed in and out that they crossed over each other in the front. I suggested that he keep her outside where she can get direct sunlight. After about a month, her legs straightened out and she looked good again. They need to have sunlight available to them.

Old Post 02-10-2014 04:40 PM
Breezy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Breezy Click here to Send Breezy a Private Message Click Here to Email Breezy Find more posts by Breezy Add Breezy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RED REBELS
UKC Forum Member

Re: rickets

quote:
Originally posted by timgreuel
Was told lack of sunshine and growing too fast has lead puppies towards Rickets. Makes sense seeing the days are short and ya only see people asking about Rickets in winter time when its cold and PUPS are held in small dark pens thinking this is the best way to keep them from freezing to death

I was told this by my vet too, I didnt do anything to treat it sept vit D suppliment and a special food that the vet suggested (dont remember the name now) but the vet also said a UV light might help (replaces the lack of sun light) but I didnt try it cuz my pup came out of it in a few weeks

Old Post 02-10-2014 04:51 PM
RED REBELS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RED REBELS Click here to Send RED REBELS a Private Message Find more posts by RED REBELS Add RED REBELS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Smoke
UKC Forum Member

I wouldn't waste time with the Cod Liver oil.

2 years ago I had one do the same thing tried all the stuff from the message board. I just changed feeds and waited. It did take longer than I thought but today you would never know he had a problem

Old Post 02-10-2014 05:37 PM
Smoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Smoke Click here to Send Smoke a Private Message Find more posts by Smoke Add Smoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ken johnson
UKC Forum Member

Rickets

This is what I did... Puppy chow food only.. Gave half of a vitamin d tablet , and vitamin c tablet in morning and evening.. Cod liver oil in food..1 tablespoon ... For 6 weeks... Pup has sever case of it in one front leg... He now is fine... This is what worked for me.. Good luck..

Old Post 02-10-2014 06:22 PM
ken johnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ken johnson Click here to Send ken johnson a Private Message Click Here to Email ken johnson Find more posts by ken johnson Add ken johnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote