UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Live Trapping
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Live Trapping

Any advice on live trapping a coon?
Thanks

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 03-04-2021 05:28 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Melblank
UKC Forum Member

Marshmallows and tuna.

Old Post 03-04-2021 10:27 PM
Melblank is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Melblank Click here to Send Melblank a Private Message Find more posts by Melblank Add Melblank to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

i like to elevate live trap keeps skunks out peanut butter and jelly sandwich for bait

Old Post 03-04-2021 10:41 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ringtail
UKC Forum Member

Honeybuns works every time

"TREE MY DOG" - NO BETTER FEELING

NAADP Charter Member....... appointed by King Dave himself........

Old Post 03-04-2021 11:55 PM
ringtail is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ringtail Click here to Send ringtail a Private Message Click Here to Email ringtail Find more posts by ringtail Add ringtail to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy212
UKC Forum Member

Brush it in real good so nothing trips it from reaching in. Back it up against a log. I’ve had best luck with sardines or tuna. I’ve caught them on peanut butter to but you may also walk in on a squirrel in the trap depending on the size

Old Post 03-04-2021 11:59 PM
Andy212 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy212 Click here to Send Andy212 a Private Message Click Here to Email Andy212 Find more posts by Andy212 Add Andy212 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
phil g
UKC Forum Member

Cookies and vanilla extract

Old Post 03-05-2021 12:22 AM
phil g is offline Click Here to See the Profile for phil g Click here to Send phil g a Private Message Find more posts by phil g Add phil g to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DL NH
UKC Forum Member

Use a trap with only one door or if using a 2 door, trig the pan on the entry side so coon has to go further into the trap to set it off. Set the bait far enough into the trap so the coon has to go all the way in to get to it.

I use to use sardines for bait. Just crack the lid and drizzle the juice around opening leading in to trap. Place can all the way in the back of trap.

Old Post 03-05-2021 12:56 AM
DL NH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DL NH Click here to Send DL NH a Private Message Find more posts by DL NH Add DL NH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ov_blues
UKC Forum Member

I just put dry dog food out and spread a cup or so from the door to the back of the trap with more feed at the trip pan. If it’s up on a creek bank I may broadcast feed to kind of make a trail to the trap door. I picture it as the coon getting comfortable eating the dog food so that they are moving slower getting into and staying in the trap so the door gets down behind them easier because they are in the trap fully. I also try to get the trap butted up to something solid and something on each side to prevent reach ins and also to just have the door exposed. I nuisance trap for a lot of people and this works consistently for me.

Old Post 03-05-2021 03:30 AM
ov_blues is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ov_blues Click here to Send ov_blues a Private Message Click Here to Email ov_blues Find more posts by ov_blues Add ov_blues to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Treedog71
New UKC Forum Member

Trap

Marshmallows and vanilla extract helps keep out other critters

Old Post 03-05-2021 04:35 AM
Treedog71 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Treedog71 Click here to Send Treedog71 a Private Message Find more posts by Treedog71 Add Treedog71 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Black Ash Bawl
UKC Forum Member

try this

figure out a way to tie your bait down in the trap . I use something like a small plastic butter container to put the bait in . Then I will use fishing line , or a zip tie to hold the container inside the trap. That smart coon that steals your bait will be pulling on the contain and is more likely to be caught.

Old Post 03-05-2021 10:44 AM
Black Ash Bawl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Black Ash Bawl Click here to Send Black Ash Bawl a Private Message Find more posts by Black Ash Bawl Add Black Ash Bawl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
River Birch Run
UKC Forum Member

Set the trap on the bait people thats trapping 101. Marshmellows seem to work best to avoid cats, and other game. You can mix a few drops of anise oil with water. Put in a spray bottle and spray a couple pumps in the air. You will bring coon in for miles. Anise oil is used in making hard candy its a tiny bottle with the sugar and flour at the store.

i

Old Post 03-05-2021 11:17 AM
River Birch Run is offline Click Here to See the Profile for River Birch Run Click here to Send River Birch Run a Private Message Find more posts by River Birch Run Add River Birch Run to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hogan
UKC Forum Member

I've always had luck with marshmallows and or dog food with vanilla extract on it then cats don't seem to mess with the dog food.

Blueticks

CGRCH GRWCH(4) GRNITECH(3) GRFCHHOF GRCHHOF'PR'Hogan's Ruby HTX4(HankxJazz)
1st Ever GRFCHHOF!
2020 Autumn Oaks National Grandnite Champion Bluetick, Grand 16 Finalist and BBOA & BBCHA High scoring bluetick female.
High scoring bluetick 2020 NRCA Days
FCH GRWCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Sadie(HankxJazz)
FCH CH GRWCH'PR'Hogan's Bo (HankxJazz)
NITECH CCH WCH GRFCH GRCH(4)'PR'Hogan's Naughty (SidxWhiskey)
GRFCH WCH CGRCH GRNITECH GRCHHOF'Psyco Blu Spyder HTX(SidxWhiskey)
NITECH GRFCH(3) GRWCH GRCH(2)'PR'Hogan's Willy HTX (LincolnxDiva)
GRNITECH GRFCH(2) GRWCHHOF GRCH(3)'PR'Hogan's Kujo HTX (YodelerxJazz)
WCH CCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Gemba (YodelerxJazz)
GRWCH GRFCH GRNITECH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Curly HTX(PiazonxHoneyBee)
GRFCH GRWCH GRCH(3)'PR'Hogan's Trouble (KujoxNaughty)
CH'PR'Hogan's Zeus (CashxSophie)
CH'PR'Hogan's Sam (WillyxNaughty)
CH'PR'Hogan's Maize (WillyxNaughty)
'PR'Hogan's Sage (WillyxNaughty)

Holstein-

GRFCH(3) GRWCH GRCH(2)'PR'Hogan's Mouse (TjxHolly)
FCH WCH CH'PR'Hogan's Jt (TjxHolly)

Gone but not forgotten.
GRWCH GRNITECH GRCH'PR'Hogans Jazz HTX2 (MosexGrace)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRCH GRWCH'PR'Hogans Jimbo (HankxJazz)- Youngest Quad of any breed
WCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Patches HTX (YodelerxJazz)
GRFCH(4)GRWCH(4)GRCH(4)'PR'Hogan's TJ
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH'PR' Hogan's Ticket HTX
GRFCH GRWCH GRCH'PR'Hogans Timber (LincolnxDiva)
'PR'Hogans Dixie
GRCH 'PR' Hogans Boomer (WallyxWeaver)
CH'PR'Hogans Dot(LeadxSister)
WCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' KG Acres BIG Wally(TimberxSugar)

Old Post 03-07-2021 04:09 AM
Hogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hogan Click here to Send Hogan a Private Message Click Here to Email Hogan Find more posts by Hogan Add Hogan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hogan
UKC Forum Member

I've always had luck with marshmallows and or dog food with vanilla extract on it then cats don't seem to mess with the dog food.

Blueticks

CGRCH GRWCH(4) GRNITECH(3) GRFCHHOF GRCHHOF'PR'Hogan's Ruby HTX4(HankxJazz)
1st Ever GRFCHHOF!
2020 Autumn Oaks National Grandnite Champion Bluetick, Grand 16 Finalist and BBOA & BBCHA High scoring bluetick female.
High scoring bluetick 2020 NRCA Days
FCH GRWCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Sadie(HankxJazz)
FCH CH GRWCH'PR'Hogan's Bo (HankxJazz)
NITECH CCH WCH GRFCH GRCH(4)'PR'Hogan's Naughty (SidxWhiskey)
GRFCH WCH CGRCH GRNITECH GRCHHOF'Psyco Blu Spyder HTX(SidxWhiskey)
NITECH GRFCH(3) GRWCH GRCH(2)'PR'Hogan's Willy HTX (LincolnxDiva)
GRNITECH GRFCH(2) GRWCHHOF GRCH(3)'PR'Hogan's Kujo HTX (YodelerxJazz)
WCH CCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Gemba (YodelerxJazz)
GRWCH GRFCH GRNITECH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Curly HTX(PiazonxHoneyBee)
GRFCH GRWCH GRCH(3)'PR'Hogan's Trouble (KujoxNaughty)
CH'PR'Hogan's Zeus (CashxSophie)
CH'PR'Hogan's Sam (WillyxNaughty)
CH'PR'Hogan's Maize (WillyxNaughty)
'PR'Hogan's Sage (WillyxNaughty)

Holstein-

GRFCH(3) GRWCH GRCH(2)'PR'Hogan's Mouse (TjxHolly)
FCH WCH CH'PR'Hogan's Jt (TjxHolly)

Gone but not forgotten.
GRWCH GRNITECH GRCH'PR'Hogans Jazz HTX2 (MosexGrace)
GRNITECH GRFCH GRCH GRWCH'PR'Hogans Jimbo (HankxJazz)- Youngest Quad of any breed
WCH GRCH'PR'Hogan's Patches HTX (YodelerxJazz)
GRFCH(4)GRWCH(4)GRCH(4)'PR'Hogan's TJ
NITECH GRFCH GRWCH GRCH'PR' Hogan's Ticket HTX
GRFCH GRWCH GRCH'PR'Hogans Timber (LincolnxDiva)
'PR'Hogans Dixie
GRCH 'PR' Hogans Boomer (WallyxWeaver)
CH'PR'Hogans Dot(LeadxSister)
WCH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' KG Acres BIG Wally(TimberxSugar)

Old Post 03-07-2021 04:09 AM
Hogan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hogan Click here to Send Hogan a Private Message Click Here to Email Hogan Find more posts by Hogan Add Hogan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Marshmallows. By far the best coon bait i ever used.

Old Post 03-08-2021 12:22 AM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Set it where coon frequent. If they are there most any bait will work. If they aren't most any bait won't work.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 03-08-2021 12:58 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron Ashbaugh
UKC Forum Member

Set it where coon frequent. If they are there most any bait will work. If they aren't most any bait won't work.

Ron Ashbaugh
CROOKED FOOT KENNELS

Old Post 03-08-2021 12:59 AM
Ron Ashbaugh is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ron Ashbaugh Click here to Send Ron Ashbaugh a Private Message Find more posts by Ron Ashbaugh Add Ron Ashbaugh to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy Music
UKC Forum Member

Thanks!

Old Post 03-08-2021 01:03 PM
Andy Music is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Andy Music Click here to Send Andy Music a Private Message Find more posts by Andy Music Add Andy Music to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shadinc
UKC Forum Member

Coons are a lot easier to catch around houses and restaurants than in the wild. If they're accustomed to going in garbage cans and boxes for food they are more willing to go in a trap. Almost any bait will work in those places. With marshmallows you're less likely to catch a cat or possum.

Old Post 03-08-2021 01:12 PM
shadinc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shadinc Click here to Send shadinc a Private Message Click Here to Email shadinc Find more posts by shadinc Add shadinc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote