UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > What interferes with your Garmin Signal.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Bruce M. Conkey

What interferes with your Garmin Signal.

I think it would be good for everyone to contribute here and share what you have found interferes with your Garmin Signal. Keep in mind we are talking two different signals, GPS and VHF, it would be nice to identify which one you are talking about.
The reason we need to understand these things is so we can eliminate them and the Garmins work to their full potential.
I talk to people everyday that has an issue and Garmin Equipment gets the blame for it, when it is from outside interference or operator error and Garmin has nothing to do with it.
I will start off with some of the things I have seen effect the operation (range mainly) of the Garmin Astro Systems.

1. Most common is loss of vhf signal is due to mainly an antenna problem on the DC 30 or 40 dog collar. If the antenna itself is not breaking down the connection has some corrosion and should be the first thing checked and cleaned.
If its not the collar VHF Signal then it is the Handheld VHF antenna. Many cases it is a crack in the solder connection at the base of the sma connection inside the handheld. This is from over tightening the antenna. Snug is all you need.
Antenna problems usually show up at 200 yards or more. That is a key number to zero in on and identify antenna problems.
2. Many of the lights we use when coonhunting will have an effect on the Garmins. If your loosing your Garmin signal at 500-700 yards, click your light off and see what happens. This is generally 18 volt or higher lights with rheostat switch on the head.
3. Trucks and power cables. Mainly Deer, Yote and Bear Hunters see this. Many of the new trucks with wifi and blue tooth will have an effect on the range of your Garmin if you have a power cable hooked up. Many hunters have this happening and don't realize it.
4. Back to the trucks, if you have your handheld in the center of your truck by your console down low the signal will be affected. Some trucks have darker widow tinting towards the roof and if your antenna ends up there that can affect them also.
5. If you have a day the GPS signal is just awful, before you blame the garmin I suggest google SUN STORMS/SPOTS. There always seem to be one or two days a year this affects things.
6. Power lines and micro wave towers are a signal killer also.

Remember the first thing to do if you have a question mark is determine if it is GPS related or VHF related. Check the GPS signal on the handheld and check the flashing lights on the collar. Those lights and how they flash tell a lot when trouble shooting.

Now what have you seen interfere with your Garmin!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-22-2013 03:49 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Herring
UKC Forum Member

1 - I have found that cheap LED flashlights can affect mine, not so much the signal but it will affect the compass. I discovered this when i was carrying a small LED flashlight in my overalls pocket and the map seemed off. I had to re-calibrate multiple times in one hunt. It happened again when taking a new person hunting and they were using a small handheld LED. I have not observed this condition when using or around nicer high quality LED lights.

Home of:
CH 'PR' Herring's Pine Cone Tally-Ho (TALLY)
and
In Memory of - CH 'PR' Herring's Pine Cone Chance; aka "The Phenomenon"

Old Post 06-22-2013 03:58 PM
Chris Herring is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Herring Click here to Send Chris Herring a Private Message Click Here to Email Chris Herring Find more posts by Chris Herring Add Chris Herring to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Some of the LED lights use a PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the brightness. Your Garmin unlike you rf tracker has intelligence modulated onto the signal. The PWM interferes with this. Most of the ones with the problems are using some sort of a buck driver. Like Bruce mentioned the higher the voltage the more the problem. That’s because the more voltage being used the more that it has to "buck" or reduce the voltage the LED is requiring. Any process that produces a frequency close to the Garmin’s can interfere with it. Have you ever noticed it just doesn’t work in some areas? The utility and gas companies have devises sometimes in the ground that interfere with it also.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-24-2013 05:53 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JeepsandGsds
UKC Forum Member

Heavy snow seem to make mine loose signal. But this was to the point that I had to sit and get my barrings in woods that I grew up in. I couldn't hear or see anything got the garmin out and it wasn't working. Only happens once.

Chelsey's Black Zelda - Gsd
Lola von Miller - Gsd
Agladia vom Schwarz - Gsd
Majors screamin Cade- Walker
Goose creek Daisy - walker

Old Post 06-24-2013 12:20 PM
JeepsandGsds is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JeepsandGsds Click here to Send JeepsandGsds a Private Message Click Here to Email JeepsandGsds Find more posts by JeepsandGsds Add JeepsandGsds to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

Thick woods make my signal weak here in PA. Step out to a pipeline or clearing and signal is good to go..

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 06-24-2013 01:59 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jculler8
UKC Forum Member

Also, I do not get enough range. My 320 gets about 1/4-1/2 mile less range than my 220... I DO NOT want to have to keep paying for all the bells and whistles so I can get a cpl extra hundred yards on top of the 600-700 I get on a regular basis. My dogs hunt out a mile. Even with extendable antenna, I rarely will consistently pick them up over 1/2 mile. My dc 30 gets about 300 more yards range than my 40. What again was the improvement? All I really notice is birds eye...

HOME OF

PKC CH GRNITECH GRCH 'PR' OAKS POINT COON BUSTIN' BELLE HTX 2013 UKC Top 100 (May 2006-January 2017)

'PR' OAKS POINT STRIKE-EM OUT BEAU (May 2006-June 2016)

PKC CH NITECH GRCH 'PR' COON BUSTIN' WHITE STUFF

CH 'PR' GOLD RUSH EXPO

'PR' BLACK KNIGHT'S BALU JETTA (May 2013-October 2015)

CH 'PR' CHERRY CREEK XBOX 2016 Treeing Walker Days King of Show

Old Post 06-24-2013 02:02 PM
jculler8 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jculler8 Click here to Send jculler8 a Private Message Click Here to Email jculler8 Visit jculler8's homepage! Find more posts by jculler8 Add jculler8 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

When I first got my 320 & dc40 it would loose signal quite often. Sometimes at 75 yards sometimes at 800 yards. I put the long range antennas on both collar & hand held and it does a lot better. Also another thing I do is once a month I take antennas off and spray contact cleaner where they attach then squirt electrical grease in all the fittings. Helps with corrosion and to keep dirt out. Next time I take the antennae off my collar I'm going to spray that anti-corrosion spray where you antennae connects to the actual collar. Going to use the spray that you use to spray the post on a car battery. I've also heard that by punching holes in the collar and re-attaching the unit where it sits on the side of the dogs neck instead of under their neck helps.

Question- Is there any way I can take and put all the property lines from my area on a map card? I have a plate book with all the local property lines just don't know how to get it on a map card that can be used in my garmin.

Old Post 06-24-2013 04:10 PM
Joseph A Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph A Clark Click here to Send Joseph A Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph A Clark Find more posts by Joseph A Clark Add Joseph A Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce M. Conkey

Mr. Clark let me comment on what your doing. It sounds great and that kind of stuff really helps out. One thing I many slightly disagree on and others can give their opinion is grease in the contact areas. I agree with cleaning the contact points. The putting the contacts points together with the screw. Then Lithium Grease or electrical grease can be applied over the area. I want metal to metal in the contacts areas and this may be what your saying and I just read it wrong. Anyway good tips!!

As far as property lines from one map to another I don't know a way. Someone else might. I hear Garmin is expanding their mapping to have these type of maps for the entire US. I think some are now available for limited areas.

Old Post 06-24-2013 07:43 PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Joseph A Clark
UKC Forum Member

I'll have to check out garmins new maps. I know I check with a forresty supply company and they didn't have any sd cards with property lines.

Old Post 06-24-2013 08:46 PM
Joseph A Clark is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph A Clark Click here to Send Joseph A Clark a Private Message Click Here to Email Joseph A Clark Find more posts by Joseph A Clark Add Joseph A Clark to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Virgil
UKC Forum Member

The only interference I haven't been able to clear up with my Garmin is the GPS showing the wrong direction when riding an ATV or side by side.

With either of two different 220's and an Alpha I have to step about 5 feet away to get an accurate direction reading with the compass. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is running or not.

Old Post 06-24-2013 11:28 PM
Virgil is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Virgil Click here to Send Virgil a Private Message Click Here to Email Virgil Find more posts by Virgil Add Virgil to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
caf89fey
UKC Forum Member

laural patches are a killer in western nc they are everywhere but as soon as the dogs get out of them its fine

Old Post 06-25-2013 08:28 AM
caf89fey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for caf89fey Click here to Send caf89fey a Private Message Click Here to Email caf89fey Find more posts by caf89fey Add caf89fey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dale Young
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Virgil
The only interference I haven't been able to clear up with my Garmin is the GPS showing the wrong direction when riding an ATV or side by side.

With either of two different 220's and an Alpha I have to step about 5 feet away to get an accurate direction reading with the compass. Doesn't seem to matter if the engine is running or not.

I've noticed this hunting out of my Polaris Ranger . Mostly me when driving , hold it out to the side and it helps but hard to read like that when driving . Doesn't seem to be bad at all for someone in the passenger seat when holding one . Have thought this may be caused by the vehicle battery since it's just in front of the steering wheel but it could be something else electronic like the electronic ignition causing it .
I usually got a cheap led flashlight in my coat pocket , do they interfere when not on ?
Also carry a couple spare AA batteries in the chest pocket of my bibs and had a ball compass pinned to the pocket flap , followed myself around a little bit one night til I realized one of us was really lost . Same note a pocket compass is the fastest easiest check I've found to be sure the Garmin is calibrated right before walking to far the wrong way . Probably something to do with those same batteries why I seem to have to calibrate often but I also have a big power line that I may or may not have to cross several times in a night depending on what's happening .

Old Post 06-25-2013 01:24 PM
Dale Young is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dale Young Click here to Send Dale Young a Private Message Click Here to Email Dale Young Find more posts by Dale Young Add Dale Young to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capt_agricultur
UKC Forum Member

80 yrs

young..ifn my blues range a mile....i wouuld take all their collars off kick them in the A@% and tell em keep going

Old Post 06-28-2013 08:54 PM
capt_agricultur is offline Click Here to See the Profile for capt_agricultur Click here to Send capt_agricultur a Private Message Click Here to Email capt_agricultur Find more posts by capt_agricultur Add capt_agricultur to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote