UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Training
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Training

What is something that you do while training your pup or pups that you think is the secret to success?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 09-30-2019 02:22 AM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Training

quote:
Originally posted by AKE
What is something that you do while training your pup or pups that you think is the secret to success?

Never let a young dog chew on a coon it didn't tree either first or alone.

Old Post 09-30-2019 03:03 AM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pamjohnson
UKC Forum Member

The main thing is time in the woods. Sure wish I had a easier way but I haven't found it yet.

Old Post 09-30-2019 02:25 PM
pamjohnson is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pamjohnson Click here to Send pamjohnson a Private Message Click Here to Email pamjohnson Find more posts by pamjohnson Add pamjohnson to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Leon Keys
UKC Forum Member

Let them mature to a point where they can get over a bad experience before you start hunting them. We try to avoid them but things happen.
-
Set them up for success the first few hunts....buckets, honey hole, open, familiar woods. Keep hunts to an hour or less if possible.
-
If your gonna hunt them with another dog, try to make it a dog they are familiar and comfortable with...( and that you can trust)
-
Once you start hunting and correcting, be consistent....
-
Remember to be reasonably patient and have fun watching them learn! Hope you find this helpful!

Old Post 10-01-2019 01:01 AM
Leon Keys is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Leon Keys Click here to Send Leon Keys a Private Message Click Here to Email Leon Keys Find more posts by Leon Keys Add Leon Keys to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CHEWBACH
UKC Forum Member

Be honest with myself. they all want make it. know when to give up.

Old Post 10-01-2019 01:14 AM
CHEWBACH is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CHEWBACH Click here to Send CHEWBACH a Private Message Find more posts by CHEWBACH Add CHEWBACH to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

Scent Wiring !!!

Scent Wiring is the #1 place to start because it is the first step that All-natural K-9 preditors go through in the wild,so they may survive.
When a wolf has a litter of pups Momy goes right to work teaching them many things. The first thing she teaches is Scent Wiring!

When a wild K-9 brings her Kill into the den to eat, the pups start nursing and while they nurse they are smelling Mom's favorite food! The smell of the Wanted Game is therefor imprinted on the pups because their bellies get full of milk!!

This is how wild Dams actually teach their litter to hunt the food that she likes to eat.

It is a Survival of the Fittest scent training technique I developed years ago. All domesticated Hounds miss out on these real fine scent training scenarios, so I developed simple ways to recreate them for every aspect of our sport!

Along with a few daytime field trips try this !!!
Find a lean meat treat that she goes crazy for! (Pay Treat=momies milk)
Cut her Pay treats into very small peices and mix them thouroughly with her dog food.
Apply Quality Coon sent all over the outside of the food bowl and let her Eat!

Repeat the combination of feeding the added Pay treats and Coon scent 2 to 3 times a week for 2 weeks.

Then she will Be Scent Wired !!! This is how I start a Once in a Liftime Hound Everytime, by recreating True survival instincks that all wild K-9's rely on to survive!!!

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Old Post 10-01-2019 07:33 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reuben
UKC Forum Member

WildWilly...
Many years ago I was reading an article something similar to what you are talking about...the writer said, if the mama while pregnant is trailing a hot coon track and she is opening on track and getting excited...the adrenaline is flowing, she is inhaling the coon scent...as she inhales it some of those scent particles get picked up through the lungs into the bloodstream and the pups will receive these hormones and become natural hunting dogs...of course he followed through with his story to mention treeing and fighting the coon...

At the very beginning I thought it was too far out there but as I read I started to believe...hook line and sinker...

I use hunger to my advantage...when pups are 5 weeks old I let them out in the yard before feeding...then I throw a wild hog head in the middle of the yard... I let them tear it up and do this 4 or five times over a month...I don’t let them overeat to the point they look like watermelons... I take it away while they want more...

There is a new field called Epigenetics...it was discovered not quite 100 years ago and is now gaining interest from all over the world by various scientists...the possibility of many cures and treatments are possible with the Epigenetics technology...

Once upon a time it was common knowledge that you were born with your genes that were set as was your DNA...through experiments they have found that certain environments can change the outcome of how the next generation will be according to that environment and now they say certain environmental changes can be passed for three generations...

Somethings can be passed on from the fathers side and some things from the mothers side...

I do not really understand how it works...but this is what I think I understand...around your DNA their are genes...some are turned on and some are turned off...through normal every day living and training our pups will act a certain way and will grow up a certain way and will require a certain amount of training to make a coon dog because of the normal environment they are raised in...if we were to change the environment like you and I are talking about then this is what could be happening...it is Epigenetics at work...certain genes will turn off and others turn on and the results are what you are saying...the environmental changes can be to sire and dam or with the pups...I tell folks Epigenetics is not new it is a part of Mother Nature...the thing is that we are starting to understand it and we can manipulate the environment to get better results in the pups and sometimes this can go on for several generations...that might explain why some folks on here say that their pups are natural coon dogs...

When we change the environment for the sire and dam in a positive way it is possible that this can be passed down to the pups...and when we do positive environmental changes for the pups then when the pups are given the right exposure and training and we say wow...this was a great litter...most of the pups took to coon hunting like a baby duck takes to water...this could be the difference between winning the world hunt or coming in second...

I know a woman that craved jalapeño peppers the whole time she was pregnant...when her son was about two years old he reached over from his high chair and grabbed one and ate it like he was eating a candy bar...I seen him eating Birdseye peppers like they were candy when he was about 4 years old... no sweating no tears and no red face...

Old Post 10-01-2019 09:31 PM
Reuben is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Reuben Click here to Send Reuben a Private Message Click Here to Email Reuben Find more posts by Reuben Add Reuben to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AKE
UKC Forum Member

Wildwilly

I was wondering if anybody was gonna say something like that.
I had a pup that I got when he was about 3 months old and I had read in and old full cry book and coon scent mixed in their food. I squirted a couple squirts of coon scent on his food everyday when I fed him for a little while. I did more than that as well all the usual stuff but he turned out to be the best dog I ever owned. I've never tried the coon scent on the food with another pup since he just died a last year but I just got another one and I believe I'll do it again.

Old Post 10-01-2019 10:08 PM
AKE is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AKE Click here to Send AKE a Private Message Find more posts by AKE Add AKE to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Redneck Mafia
UKC Moderator

Re: Training

quote:
Originally posted by AKE

Letting them run loose as young pups.
The rest wouldn't be secrets if posted here.

"TEAM MAFIA"
*NATIONAL GRNITECH GRCH GRNITECH(5) HALL OF FAME PKC PLATIUM CH REDNECK BACKWOODS SHACK
2014 OK STATE CH, 2015 MO PKC LEADER, 2016 PKC NATIONALS SEMIFINALIST, 2016 UKC TOP 20, 2O17 UKC WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 3RD PLACE, 2018 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4, 2018 MO PKC STATE CHAMPION, 2019 AUTUMN OAKS NATIONAL GRNITE CH, 2019 PKC WORLD CH SEMIFINALIST. 2021 PKC SENIOR SHOWDOWN TRUCK HUNT FINAL 4.
*PKC WORLD CHAMPION PLATNIUM CHAMPION GRNITECH SHACK'S HEATHER ISLAND SOUTHERN STOGIE
2021 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2022 PKC WORLD CHAMPION, 2022 MO PKC STATE LEADER

RIP
*GRNITECH PKC SCH REDNECK MAFIA PKC HALL OF FAME REPRODUCER INDUCTED 2022
*GRNITECH CH PKC SILVER CH REDNECK SHACK ATTACK aka TAC 2018 OKLAHOMA STATE CHAMPION, 2020 MO PKC STATE LEADER

Old Post 10-02-2019 02:44 AM
Redneck Mafia is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Redneck Mafia Click here to Send Redneck Mafia a Private Message Click Here to Email Redneck Mafia Find more posts by Redneck Mafia Add Redneck Mafia to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Never forget that they are just pups.

Old Post 10-02-2019 03:50 AM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Preacher Tom
UKC Forum Member

Well I'm pretty sure the secret for training a pup is don't do anything I do.

Old Post 10-02-2019 04:25 AM
Preacher Tom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Preacher Tom Click here to Send Preacher Tom a Private Message Click Here to Email Preacher Tom Find more posts by Preacher Tom Add Preacher Tom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Next question you should ask is how many times have you turned a weaned puppy into a consistent coon treer and cast winner.

The thing about the internet is that there are no requirements for giving advice.

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:00 PM
Josh Michaelis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Josh Michaelis Click here to Send Josh Michaelis a Private Message Click Here to Email Josh Michaelis Find more posts by Josh Michaelis Add Josh Michaelis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

quote:
Originally posted by Josh Michaelis
Next question you should ask is how many times have you turned a weaned puppy into a consistent coon treer and cast winner.

The thing about the internet is that there are no requirements for giving advice.

More times than you are old.

Tar

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:34 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Josh, I have turned several weaned pups into consistent coon tree's. Just can't get the consistent cast winner part down. That is why I read these boards. To see what I am doing wrong. The picture gets clearer everyday.

Pups like to roam and if you have a place to let them get confidence in exploring the woods. That is GREAT.
Buddy has a couple 4 month old pups he got from me. His land borders a neighbor who has several hundred acres. My buddy has pens and a fenced area around his pens. He was letting the pups stay in the fenced area. His neighbor has a deer feeder and the pups started showing up on pictures at the feeder. That feeder is 1/2 mile into the woods. My buddy never suspected his pups had found a way out of his yard as every time he checked on them they would be back home in the yard. One thing that was noticed from all the pictures is the female seemed to be the leader. She was always in front of the male and always the one standing up on the feeder trying to figure our what had been eating out of it. Plenty of coon on the feeder and deer. So she is has a choice to make. LOL

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:43 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
yadkintar
Banned

Bruce in theory josh didn’t say you had to win the cast just as long as sombody took them after you trained them and won the cast I think it covers things.

Tar

Old Post 10-02-2019 12:52 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Josh, I have turned several weaned pups into consistent coon tree's. Just can't get the consistent cast winner part down. That is why I read these boards. To see what I am doing wrong. The picture gets clearer everyday.

Pups like to roam and if you have a place to let them get confidence in exploring the woods. That is GREAT.
Buddy has a couple 4 month old pups he got from me. His land borders a neighbor who has several hundred acres. My buddy has pens and a fenced area around his pens. He was letting the pups stay in the fenced area. His neighbor has a deer feeder and the pups started showing up on pictures at the feeder. That feeder is 1/2 mile into the woods. My buddy never suspected his pups had found a way out of his yard as every time he checked on them they would be back home in the yard. One thing that was noticed from all the pictures is the female seemed to be the leader. She was always in front of the male and always the one standing up on the feeder trying to figure our what had been eating out of it. Plenty of coon on the feeder and deer. So she is has a choice to make. LOL

Bruce I like to sell them as soon as they get good at treeing coons alone. Let someone else do all the hard work. Pups that leave my place do win, and some I keep have done okay, but the hardest part is getting a dog ready to be in a cast, not getting a dog to tree coons alone.

But how many times have you seen someone giving training advice on the internet and you know all they have ever had in their lives is junk? Or every good dog they have had someone else trained. People need to be careful about listening to internet trainers

Old Post 10-02-2019 01:19 PM
yadkintar
Banned

One mans junk is anouther mans treasure !

You ain’t never had no junk all yours are top shelf bet I could find holes in them.

Tar

Old Post 10-02-2019 01:29 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

People need to be careful and consider the source of any advice that they get on the internet.

Old Post 10-02-2019 01:29 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bruce m. Conkey
UKC Forum Member

Not disagreeing with you about internet advice. First and foremost is we share the "How to Train" a puppy when we have never seen the puppy and its actions. Actions speak louder than words. A dogs actions speak louder to me than how someone tries to describe them when asking for help. Thing is we only have the persons words to go by. That is why I try and give conservative advice. Because there is always more to the "Story".

Last edited by Bruce m. Conkey on 10-02-2019 at 01:50 PM

Old Post 10-02-2019 01:41 PM
Bruce m. Conkey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bruce m. Conkey Click here to Send Bruce m. Conkey a Private Message Click Here to Email Bruce m. Conkey Visit Bruce m. Conkey's homepage! Find more posts by Bruce m. Conkey Add Bruce m. Conkey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce m. Conkey
Not disagreeing with you about internet advice. First and foremost is we share the "How to Train" a puppy when we have never seen the puppy and its actions. Actions speak louder than words. A dogs actions speak louder to me than how someone tries to describe them when asking for help. Thing is we only have the persons words to go by. That is why I try and give conservative advice. Because there is alway more to the "Story".

Bruce for the most part I agree. Most people do not even realize what their dog is doing in order to describe it anyways.

Old Post 10-02-2019 01:47 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Oh my goodness, now that may be part of the problem. Not only do you have to consider the source of the advice but you have to consider the source of the question.

Old Post 10-02-2019 02:33 PM
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:
Bruce for the most part I agree. Most people do not even realize what their dog is doing in order to describe it anyways.

I’ve learned this the hard way from buying a lot of dogs. That hunting hard, being 70% accurate, recurring off a tree right, and especially indepence are very opinionated topics. My opionion of hunting hard makes most people cring. Being 70% is world class most say you need to cull one. And independence doesn’t mean that they want back. If you got one that splits 600 yards and you say that’s normal that’s independence.

Old Post 10-02-2019 03:17 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
N Williams
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: .

quote:

I’ve learned this the hard way from buying a lot of dogs. That hunting hard, being 70% accurate, recurring off a tree right, and especially indepence are very opinionated topics. My opionion of hunting hard makes most people cring. Being 70% is world class most say you need to cull one. And independence doesn’t mean that they want back. If you got one that splits 600 yards and you say that’s normal that’s independence.

Old Post 10-02-2019 03:17 PM
N Williams is offline Click Here to See the Profile for N Williams Click here to Send N Williams a Private Message Find more posts by N Williams Add N Williams to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Josh Michaelis
UKC Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: .

quote:
Originally posted by N Williams

Independent dogs back. They may not know another dog is even there when they do it, but they will back. You'll see a truly independent dog not try and get away from dogs, but do the same thing they do when they are cut by themselves. There is a difference between an independent dog and a loner.

Loners are social retards. They jealous tree, run away from dogs, and do other things to be positive they are alone. I dont mind either personally, but to me there is a difference

Old Post 10-02-2019 03:26 PM
wildwilly0161
UKC Forum Member

AKE / Ruban

Oh my, now we're getting into the good stuff !!
What you speak of is Called Neural Impresioning. It is not only real it IS the Language that all K-9 preditors use to teach all of their Offspring.
I have been using and Developing this wild form of training for over 35 years and I understand it in High in Definition. This form of True K-9 communication runs throughout my entire training methods !! I simply use all forms of Survival of the Fittest, fine Scent training that all preditors must learn to survive in the Wild !!!

And just like Momy, my first step IS Neral Impresioning / Scent Wiring!

This is because K-9 Genetics are designed by nature to change due to Environment!
Genetics and environment go hand in hand, this is why so many Hounds do not Hunt the same when changing homes/owners, from North to the South and vice versa.

Wild Coy Dogs are amoung the most successful predators on Earth! According to mainstream beliefs, Domesticated Dogs can not survive on their own. However I have been studying these Dogs for decades and I have blended all these survival skills with my art of obedience traing to achieve true animal extensions of myself.

Click link to see our Upcoming library Obedience Video !! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TtkiewjtvM

Home of Dual GR.CH. !! Bad Boy Brussel !!

GR.CH.GR.NITE.CH.BRUSSEL SPROUTS ROAST
(((((((One of the smartest coon hounds on the Face of the EARTH))))))) 40 verbal comands 20 hand signals !! Amazing In the Woods!!!!
Pm for DVD Video !!

Wild Willy's Way to Complete Coon Hound Control training system / Specializing in Coonhound Control and Scent Training Scent Hounds !!! With Positive Reinforcement Methods !!! Click the link to watch WildWilly'sWay to 10 minute Loading training- Quick Tip
https://youtu.be/zUa7hT7Tbgg See a Sneak Peek of our beliefs on Off Game Breaking with this link- Off game Breaking https://youtu.be/tVouPD95P9s

Old Post 10-02-2019 08:01 PM
wildwilly0161 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wildwilly0161 Click here to Send wildwilly0161 a Private Message Click Here to Email wildwilly0161 Find more posts by wildwilly0161 Add wildwilly0161 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote