UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Please Help
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chriss
UKC Forum Member

Please Help

I am at a loss and don't know where to start. My 8 year old walker has just quit hunting. I have had this dog since he was 16 months and this dog has always lived to hunt. Hard drive deep hunting no reverse never come in until he trees kind of dog. He is slowing down on track and I figure that be due to his age but he has always treed and is good about having the meat but the past three or four times out he has brought me in to slick trees. What is really got me at a loss is the fact that when I go to turn him out for the second time he refuses to go and hunt. This is NOT like him at all. He will run a few yards and turn around and come back and just look at me. Now we are talking about a dog that has no reverse and used to hunt all night if you let him. I did start hunting a pup with him about two weeks ago but that didn't seem to bother him too much but thought I would try him tonight on his own to see if that made any difference but it didn't. Is he just getting worn out or what. This is not the time of year I need this to happen especially with a pup to train. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 11-28-2014 02:31 AM
chriss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chriss Click here to Send chriss a Private Message Click Here to Email chriss Find more posts by chriss Add chriss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hitman79
UKC Forum Member

Maybe not feeling the best. May want to get him checked at the vet. Lots of different things start this way.

Old Post 11-28-2014 02:42 AM
Hitman79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hitman79 Click here to Send Hitman79 a Private Message Click Here to Email Hitman79 Find more posts by Hitman79 Add Hitman79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stillwater 165
UKC Forum Member

I just went through the same thing with my old female , same age as your talking. Lasted about a week and a half , just about made me sick as I'm running two young dogs with her that need the knowledge ! Laid her up , hit her with some anti biotics and pain killers and boom she's back ! Really not sure what it was.

Old Post 11-28-2014 03:30 AM
Stillwater 165 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Stillwater 165 Click here to Send Stillwater 165 a Private Message Find more posts by Stillwater 165 Add Stillwater 165 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jrkb2012
UKC Forum Member

I would have it vet checked,,,many years ago,a buddy had a dog the same way,,a all nighter no reverse coondog,,then all a sudden just didn't want to hunt anymore,,,he just didn't have the energy anymore,,,took him to vet,he had heart worms

Old Post 11-28-2014 06:54 AM
Jrkb2012 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jrkb2012 Click here to Send Jrkb2012 a Private Message Click Here to Email Jrkb2012 Find more posts by Jrkb2012 Add Jrkb2012 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
groworg1
UKC Forum Member

lyme's disease ?

Old Post 11-28-2014 12:49 PM
groworg1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for groworg1 Click here to Send groworg1 a Private Message Click Here to Email groworg1 Find more posts by groworg1 Add groworg1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tar12
UKC Forum Member

Vet. Dogs can't talk and things that would make you and I whine like babies will not be readily apparent with a dog. I have seen older dogs slow up for a variety of reasons.Bad teeth will put the brakes on. A sinus infection or tooth infection will effect a dogs ability to smell and hence the slick trees.

Old Post 11-28-2014 02:06 PM
Tar12 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tar12 Click here to Send Tar12 a Private Message Click Here to Email Tar12 Find more posts by Tar12 Add Tar12 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DAVE H
UKC Forum Member

Check his vision had a friend have the same thing happen turns out his dog had went blind and he just couldnt see to go so he did the only thing he knew tree.

BLUE GHOST HAUNTED SKY

Old Post 11-28-2014 06:46 PM
DAVE H is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DAVE H Click here to Send DAVE H a Private Message Click Here to Email DAVE H Find more posts by DAVE H Add DAVE H to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote