UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > need help with young dog
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ct3l@olin.com
UKC Forum Member

need help with young dog

15 months old .looks like a world champion on the first cut.dont matter if its 15 min or 2 hours ,whatever it takes to tree the coon. will not hunt after this, the more you switch him the less he will go. tried all kinds of things, nothing seems to work. please help, he is just what I want on the first cut,wish I could figure out whats going on with him after this. not running hot .

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 07-22-2018 01:03 AM
ct3l@olin.com is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ct3l@olin.com Click here to Send ct3l@olin.com a Private Message Click Here to Email ct3l@olin.com Find more posts by ct3l@olin.com Add ct3l@olin.com to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pigsit
UKC Forum Member

What happens if you load him and haul him to another spot? What does he do when hunted with another dog, will he go?

Dual GRNTCH Wendy
GRNTCH Cola
GrNtCH Honky Tonk Rock and Roll
Dual GRCH Bumper
Dual CH June
Dual CH Jill

Old Post 07-22-2018 01:49 AM
pigsit is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pigsit Click here to Send pigsit a Private Message Click Here to Email pigsit Find more posts by pigsit Add pigsit to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ct3l@olin.com
UKC Forum Member

yea I have tried loading him up and moving spots with and without dogs . I have dealt with dogs for 25 years and have never seen one do so good at first and then just shut it down. I really like this dog if I can figure him out. any ideas ? ill try anything at this point. guess ill take him to vet next

Old Post 07-22-2018 02:42 AM
ct3l@olin.com is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ct3l@olin.com Click here to Send ct3l@olin.com a Private Message Click Here to Email ct3l@olin.com Find more posts by ct3l@olin.com Add ct3l@olin.com to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Triple K Kennel
UKC Forum Member

Re: need help with young dog

quote:
Originally posted by ct3l@olin.com
15 months old .looks like a world champion on the first cut.dont matter if its 15 min or 2 hours ,whatever it takes to tree the coon. will not hunt after this, the more you switch him the less he will go. tried all kinds of things, nothing seems to work. please help, he is just what I want on the first cut,wish I could figure out whats going on with him after this. not running hot .

First of all.....I would stop laying the Switch to him, you cant make a Dog Hunt and you are probably Confusing him. He is 15 months old, still a Pup. When he Tree's on the first turn out ...Pet him up good and Shoot the Coon to him, lead him out and move to the next Spot. Walk with him casually and eventually he should ease on out there......if he Tree's another give it to him but Petting him up to let him know you are Happy with him. This is what I would do.
Good luck.
Tim

Quality, Dependable Coon Lights--Built by a Coonhunter for Coonhunters
==================================
** Superior Lights

** Sunspot Hunting Lights

** Zepp's--Quality Products

** Boss Lights

**Brighteyes Lights

** They Twist it until they start believing it themselves**

Purina Dog Food
** Proven Results **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Competition Coonhunters and Politicians
** Win anyway you have to & tell everyone what they want to hear **

Old Post 07-22-2018 03:00 PM
Triple K Kennel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Triple K Kennel Click here to Send Triple K Kennel a Private Message Find more posts by Triple K Kennel Add Triple K Kennel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ct3l@olin.com
UKC Forum Member

thanks for the advice . this pup is double skuna river bread with that huge lipper mouth

Old Post 07-24-2018 04:18 AM
Tim Green
UKC Forum Member

When you first started him, did you make one drop and go home? If so, he may think this is how he suppose to hunt. If so, I think in time he’ll get used to staying out later. If it is a one drop night....night after night, he got accustomed to that. Just my thoughts. Not that he needs it, but maybe turn a coon at the second drop. He probably won’t be able to resist going.

Hope this helps

Tim

Old Post 07-26-2018 11:56 PM
Tim Green is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Tim Green Click here to Send Tim Green a Private Message Click Here to Email Tim Green Find more posts by Tim Green Add Tim Green to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote