UKC Forums UKC Website :: Hunting Ops :: All-Breed Sports :: Registration :: UKC Online Store
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home  
UKC Forums : Powered by vBulletin version 2.3.0 UKC Forums > Departments > UKC Coonhounds > Re-Cast situation question
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Nick Jennings
UKC Forum Member

Re-Cast situation question

Dogs A, B, C, and D are struck in and A, B, C are declared treed. Upon scoring the tree, we step away from the tree and Dog D is barking a few hundred yards away. Handler D trees his dog immediately while A, B, C are still on the leash. Is this a leash lock (even though shine time was over and tree was scored)? Or should we have cut loose the second we heard dog D barking

HOME OF:

UKC GRNITECH CH PR MIDNIGHT STORMS WILDMAN BUCK
(Check out Wildman Buck's Stud Page)

PR CHIEFS WILD N BLUE CRACK
-2017 Da$h For Ca$h Fall Shootout Finals Championship Overall Winner

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 06-17-2018 06:53 PM
Nick Jennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Jennings Click here to Send Nick Jennings a Private Message Find more posts by Nick Jennings Add Nick Jennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frosty
UKC Forum Member

leash locked

FLINTRIDGE KENNELS

Old Post 06-17-2018 07:16 PM
Frosty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frosty Click here to Send Frosty a Private Message Click Here to Email Frosty Find more posts by Frosty Add Frosty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

Leash locked, go score D (don't have to wait 5), then all dogs can be turned loose to compete for 100 strike.

Old Post 06-17-2018 07:29 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

What if one person gets his dog turned loose just as handler of Dog D trees his dog?

Old Post 06-17-2018 09:27 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nextcoonhunters
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lambert
What if one person gets his dog turned loose just as handler of Dog D trees his dog?
the way I've heard it said the judge has to tell you to recast the dogs and was told if you cut your dog without being told your scratched but haven't looked the rules over to find out if that's really the way it is just been told that. But if that's right and you've already been told to recast then they are cut and have five minutes to get to that tree or can go find another

Old Post 06-17-2018 09:55 PM
nextcoonhunters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nextcoonhunters Click here to Send nextcoonhunters a Private Message Find more posts by nextcoonhunters Add nextcoonhunters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frosty
UKC Forum Member

you should never turn loose till the judge tells you to and then everyone turns loose together.

FLINTRIDGE KENNELS

Old Post 06-17-2018 10:33 PM
Frosty is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frosty Click here to Send Frosty a Private Message Click Here to Email Frosty Find more posts by Frosty Add Frosty to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Everyone knows that " you should" but what happens if "you don't"?

Old Post 06-17-2018 11:06 PM
Richard Lambert is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Richard Lambert Click here to Send Richard Lambert a Private Message Click Here to Email Richard Lambert Find more posts by Richard Lambert Add Richard Lambert to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DFred
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Everyone knows that " you should" but what happens if "you don't"?

Implied scratch.

Old Post 06-17-2018 11:16 PM
DFred is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DFred Click here to Send DFred a Private Message Find more posts by DFred Add DFred to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by DFred
Implied scratch.

Bingo spot on can’t turn loos you are leash locked and if you do turn loose you are scratched

Old Post 06-17-2018 11:49 PM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Rip
Bingo spot on can’t turn loos you are leash locked and if you do turn loose you are scratched

Cant have it both ways Rip, It says they "Must turn loose to dogs opening on trail. If they hear the dogs and the dog has not been treed yet according to your logic on handling them at the tree, they should be able to cut. Because it says they "must". They heard the dog opening so why could they not just cut loose before the guy treed the dog? Please don't take this as I'm picking at you, I'm just pointing something out. I don't see a difference in you having to be told to cut or handle. You have to wait on the judge for both of them.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-18-2018 12:16 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

MUST be turned loose and MUST be handled

BUT not until you're told to has always been my understanding

Old Post 06-18-2018 12:41 AM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by joey
Cant have it both ways Rip, It says they "Must turn loose to dogs opening on trail. If they hear the dogs and the dog has not been treed yet according to your logic on handling them at the tree, they should be able to cut. Because it says they "must". They heard the dog opening so why could they not just cut loose before the guy treed the dog? Please don't take this as I'm picking at you, I'm just pointing something out. I don't see a difference in you having to be told to cut or handle. You have to wait on the judge for both of them.

Joey you missed the rest. Elvis thought he had something with this the last time it came up using the same logic but Todd said the judge had to let them know it was a dog on the cast and not a house dog or something but as soon as that was determined they must be turned loose. That is where they said it was different going to the tree he should know which dogs are there by rule before hand so no reason not to handle the dogs BUT in this case have to be sure it’s dogs that are on the cast.

To be honest the only reason I remember this from so long ago is really the second thread started by Elvis stirring the pot because of the other thread about the dogs treed and the seeming inconsistency. It was about a week long dust up LOL

I have known you on here long enough to know you are not picking on me. It isn't the way we have always done it and like I said I always do it the way everyone else does just to avoid problems.

Last edited by Rip on 06-18-2018 at 01:28 AM

Old Post 06-18-2018 01:13 AM
Rip is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Rip Click here to Send Rip a Private Message Click Here to Email Rip Visit Rip's homepage! Find more posts by Rip Add Rip to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joey
UKC Forum Member

Yes but just like he needs to let them know its a dog on the cast he needs to let them know he has seen enough to be satisfied what dogs are on the tree. Its the only consistent way to do it. If guys are just handling dogs your going to have a freaking mess. Just like if they were just cutting loose as soon as they hear another dog. We have to be able to have consistency and that can only happen if the judge has complete control of dogs being handled.

http://www.sunspotlights.com/
When brightness matters!!

Home Of:
PKC Ch, Grch Grnch 2008 Tx state champion They call me Crazy Betty

PKC SCh CH Grnch They call me Howler too

Old Post 06-18-2018 01:28 AM
joey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for joey Click here to Send joey a Private Message Find more posts by joey Add joey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rip
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Yes but just like he needs to let them know its a dog on the cast he needs to let them know he has seen enough to be satisfied what dogs are on the tree. Its the only consistent way to do it. If guys are just handling dogs your going to have a freaking mess. Just like if they were just cutting loose as soon as they hear another dog. We have to be able to have consistency and that can only happen if the judge has complete control of dogs being handled.

If a judge needs more than being first to the tree to see which dogs are there he don't need to be a judge.

That aside I was surprised that they said that back then, and then I thought Elvis had a point too with him starting the thread about not turning loose but it all came back to the fact that the judge shouldn't need extra time, all he needs is to be the first at the tree which he is supposed to be by rule.

I am also fully admitting that this was BEFORE Todd and UKC stated the opinions on here were official and it was nearly 20 years ago so things could have changed but I remember it because of how Elvis came back with his question and the week long dust up it caused. It was pretty fun.

Old Post 06-18-2018 01:32 AM
Nick Jennings
UKC Forum Member

By the time after stepping away from the tree, listened and agreed that (Dog D) was barking,... we pointed A-B-C in D's direction, and handler of Dog D treed his dog. We ended up keeping them on the leash and walking to her tree

HOME OF:

UKC GRNITECH CH PR MIDNIGHT STORMS WILDMAN BUCK
(Check out Wildman Buck's Stud Page)

PR CHIEFS WILD N BLUE CRACK
-2017 Da$h For Ca$h Fall Shootout Finals Championship Overall Winner

Old Post 06-18-2018 02:20 AM
Nick Jennings is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nick Jennings Click here to Send Nick Jennings a Private Message Find more posts by Nick Jennings Add Nick Jennings to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

You make it sound like you had plenty of time to unleash your dog if you wanted to.

Old Post 06-18-2018 02:35 AM
Frosty
UKC Forum Member

that was good handling of dog D.

FLINTRIDGE KENNELS

Old Post 06-18-2018 02:41 AM
Mark V.
UKC Forum Member

Nick Your cast was spot On Just a bad break for the cast!

Old Post 06-18-2018 11:04 AM
Mark V. is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Mark V. Click here to Send Mark V. a Private Message Click Here to Email Mark V. Find more posts by Mark V. Add Mark V. to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RJ Burks
UKC Forum Member

quote:

X2

Old Post 06-18-2018 12:18 PM
RJ Burks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RJ Burks Click here to Send RJ Burks a Private Message Find more posts by RJ Burks Add RJ Burks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Would it have been good handling by Dog A's handler if he just cut him loose before Dog D's handler treed him?

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:06 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
Would it have been good handling by Dog A's handler if he just cut him loose before Dog D's handler treed him?

Not if I was judging the cast

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:31 PM
Donnie Stevens is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Donnie Stevens Click here to Send Donnie Stevens a Private Message Find more posts by Donnie Stevens Add Donnie Stevens to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

But the rule says "must".

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:39 PM
Donnie Stevens
UKC Forum Member

quote:
But the rule says "must".

And we will...just as soon as that dogs handler gets a couple seconds to see if it's treed or not.

Rule says dogs must to turned loose with dogs opening"on trail" ...so to me you have to determine if the dogs on opening on trail or treed

Last edited by Donnie Stevens on 06-18-2018 at 03:50 PM

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:42 PM
Richard Lambert
UKC Forum Member

Now that is an excellant answer.

But does "treed" mean that the dog is treeing or that the handler has called his dog treed? What if the judge determines that Dog D is treed but the handler doesn't call him treed? Can you turn your dog loose then? What if the judge applies the "obviously treed" rule/time on Dog D? Can you turn your dog loose?

Last edited by Richard Lambert on 06-18-2018 at 04:02 PM

Old Post 06-18-2018 03:56 PM
yadkintar
Banned

If I know that ole boys dog is bad about not having coons I will be glad to give him enough time to tree his dog lol.

Tar

Old Post 06-18-2018 04:38 PM
yadkintar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for yadkintar Click here to Send yadkintar a Private Message Click Here to Email yadkintar Find more posts by yadkintar Add yadkintar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote